Users - Decimal quantity on orders

Jean-Luc Malet
Hi,

For the moment, we can't make an order item entry with decimal quantity.
Is there a reason of that ? and is there another solution to manage
decmal quantity on orders ?

Thanks for your answers.

Jean-Luc.

Re: Users - Decimal quantity on orders

Si Chen-2
What happens when you try to do this?  The field is a decimal, so it
should be OK.  Si

mjeanluc wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For the moment, we can't make an order item entry with decimal quantity.
> Is there a reason of that ? and is there another solution to manage
> decmal quantity on orders ?
>
> Thanks for your answers.
>
> Jean-Luc.

Re: Users - Decimal quantity on orders

David E. Jones

Si, Jean-Luc,

The original intent of the quantity in the ShoppingCart and the OrderItem was to use a decimal number and allow for non-integral quantities. Over time we ran into a few issues and found this to not be the best idea. Some of the code has been updated to only allow for integer values for the quantity field, but it is still a decimal value in the database.

For things that need an amount like this specified we are using the "amount" field. There is a flag on the Product entity to specify whether or not the product should ask for an amount in addition to the quantity (for example: 8 2x4s, 8.5ft each, quantity=8, amount=8.5). The field on the OrderItem where the amount goes is called "selectedAmount".

-David

Si Chen wrote:

> What happens when you try to do this?  The field is a decimal, so it
> should be OK.  Si
>
> mjeanluc wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> For the moment, we can't make an order item entry with decimal quantity.
>> Is there a reason of that ? and is there another solution to manage
>> decmal quantity on orders ?
>>
>> Thanks for your answers.
>>
>> Jean-Luc.

Re: Users - Decimal quantity on orders

Scott Gray
Hi David

I assume this is also the case for BOM quantities? We manufacture apparel and i can't see how we could do without decimal quantities (ie Elastic Pant requires 1.3 metres of fabric)

Regards
Scott

Si Chen wrote:

> What happens when you try to do this?  The field is a decimal, so it
> should be OK.  Si
>
> mjeanluc wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> For the moment, we can't make an order item entry with decimal quantity.
>> Is there a reason of that ? and is there another solution to manage
>> decmal quantity on orders ?
>>
>> Thanks for your answers.
>>
>> Jean-Luc.

Re: Users - Decimal quantity on orders

Jacopo Cappellato
Hi Scott,

BOM quantities are of course numbers with decimals.

Jacopo

Scott Gray wrote:
> Hi David
>
> I assume this is also the case for BOM quantities? We manufacture
> apparel and i can't see how we could do without decimal quantities (ie
> Elastic Pant requires 1.3 metres of fabric)
>
> Regards
> Scott

Re: Users - Decimal quantity on orders

Scott,

Good question... I'll defer to Jacopo on the specific fields, etc used for a BOM. I'm not sure if it has a dual-field setup like the OrderItem does.

-David

Scott Gray wrote:

> Hi David
>
> I assume this is also the case for BOM quantities? We manufacture
> apparel and i can't see how we could do without decimal quantities (ie
> Elastic Pant requires 1.3 metres of fabric)
>
> Regards
> Scott
>
> On 4/15/06, *David E. Jones* <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     Si, Jean-Luc,
>
>     The original intent of the quantity in the ShoppingCart and the
>     OrderItem was to use a decimal number and allow for non-integral
>     quantities. Over time we ran into a few issues and found this to not
>     be the best idea. Some of the code has been updated to only allow
>     for integer values for the quantity field, but it is still a decimal
>     value in the database.
>
>     For things that need an amount like this specified we are using the
>     "amount" field. There is a flag on the Product entity to specify
>     whether or not the product should ask for an amount in addition to
>     the quantity (for example: 8 2x4s, 8.5ft each, quantity=8,
>     amount=8.5). The field on the OrderItem where the amount goes is
>     called "selectedAmount".
>
>     -David
>

>     Si Chen wrote:
>      > What happens when you try to do this?  The field is a decimal, so it
>      > should be OK.  Si
>      >
>      > mjeanluc wrote:
>      >> Hi,
>      >>
>      >> For the moment, we can't make an order item entry with decimal
>     quantity.
>      >> Is there a reason of that ? and is there another solution to manage
>      >> decmal quantity on orders ?
>      >>
>      >> Thanks for your answers.
>      >>
>      >> Jean-Luc.
>      >>
>      >> _______________________________________________
>      >> Users mailing list
>      >> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>      >> http://lists.ofbiz.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>      >>
>      >>
>      >>
>      >
>      >
>      > Users mailing list
>      > http://lists.ofbiz.org/mailman/listinfo/users

Re: Users - Decimal quantity on orders

Jacopo Cappellato
The information is stored in the ProductAssoc.quantity field that is of
type floating-point.

Jacopo

David E. Jones wrote:
> Scott,
>
> Good question... I'll defer to Jacopo on the specific fields, etc used for a BOM. I'm not sure if it has a dual-field setup like the OrderItem does.

Re: Users - Decimal quantity on orders

Scott Gray
Thanks Jacopo

I only ask because I tried doing a Bom simulation for 1 pant and the result
showed I would need 13 metres of fabric, I haven't looked at it too closely
yet however.

Scott Gray wrote:
> Hi David
>
> I assume this is also the case for BOM quantities? We manufacture
> apparel and i can't see how we could do without decimal quantities (ie
> Elastic Pant requires 1.3 metres of fabric)
>
> Regards
> Scott

Re: Users - Decimal quantity on orders

Jacopo Cappellato
Scott,

please verify the user locale you are using; it seems that the value
that you've entered in the BOM, "1.3", has been stored as "13" because
the system thinks that "," is the decimal separator and "." the thousand
separator. So you could try to store it as "1,3" and see what happens...
and let me know if you see something wrong here!

Jacopo

Scott Gray wrote:

> Thanks Jacopo
>
> I only ask because I tried doing a Bom simulation for 1 pant and the result
> showed I would need 13 metres of fabric, I haven't looked at it too closely
> yet however.
>
> Regards
> Scott

My fault, I had selected "Example bom formula (qty * k)" when I set the bom
up.  Sorry I must start looking at things more closely before I bother you
guys.

Scott Gray wrote:
> Thanks Jacopo
>
> I only ask because I tried doing a Bom simulation for 1 pant and the
result
> showed I would need 13 metres of fabric, I haven't looked at it too
closely

> yet however.
>
> Regards
> Scott

David, Si,

Thanks for your answers and sorry for my late response.

I'm on holidays next week and I will test what you told me when I come
back.
Have a nice week.

Jean-Luc.