Users - Delete categories from OFBiz

Mathias Weber
Hello everybody,

this one may sound as a very easy and basic question, but I really didn't found a way how to delete a category from the complete application (not only from a catalogue)! Also I wasn't able to retrieve answers from the existing, searchable parts of the OFBiz documentation...

Please help me with my trivial task. We are running OFbiz version 3.2.0
Thank you a lot.

Best regards,
Mathias Weber

-------------------------------
Köpfe GmbH - Inhalt entscheidet
-------------------------------
Theodor-Heuss-Anlage 12
D-68165 Mannheim
Telefon:  +49(621) 978 730-30
Telefax:  +49(621) 978 730-33
E-Mail:   [hidden email]
Websites:
http://www.koepfe-it.com

          http://www.koepfe.de

Re: Users - Delete categories from OFBiz

Andrew Sykes
Mathias,

It is not easy to delete a category, this is intentional.

Deleting categories, products etc could cause difficulties with auditing
etc.

It's a much better idea to recycle the category, i.e. use it for another
purpose.

If you really must delete, you can do it via the data maintenance tool
in /webtools, however, you need to make sure you understand what
entities will be affected by this action (see entity reference page
in /webtools). The category itself is contained in the ProductCategory
entity, but be careful, especially if this is in production!!!
--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>

Re: Users - Delete categories from OFBiz

oceatoon
Hi Mathias
We have found that exporting our data as XML is quite usefull to manipulate and reimport on any ofbiz intance.(webtools/import, export)
This allows to remove in XML definition file anything we like, but offcourse as Andrew says it implies a good knowledge of the Category Entity Model and its relations, you must figure out exactly what to remove to not break anything . It's a bit teadeous at first but ends up being very usefull.
regards
Tibor