Users - Digital Download functionality development

Users - Digital Download functionality development

Nguyen Minh Triet

Hi,

Concerning the digital download functionality,

It is a necessary requirement that we have the digital download functionality in our solution. We are looking at different avenues:

  1. Deploy Ofbiz utilizing the functionality that are present and develop what is missing in the webapp that we already have running in our solution. What we would need then is to query Ofbiz from our application to see if a user has purchased a product (API call with the current user and product id).

  1. If adding such functionality directly in Ofbiz requires less effort than 1, then we would like to go in this direction in collaboration with interested parties of the Ofbiz community.

  1. Would such functionality be considered to be added to the Ofbiz distribution? If this functionality is an element in the Ofbiz development plan or priorities, we would look to see if it fits within our schedule.

Thanks,

Minh

------------------------------

Message: 5

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 20:38:23 -0700

From: "David E. Jones" <[hidden email]>

Subject: Re: [OFBiz] Users - Digital Product in ecommerce

To: OFBiz Users / Usage Discussion <[hidden email]>

The rumors are true that there are some things in place for this to

handle different paths through the order processing and fulfillment

processes. It is also true that there are some things in place to

handle the purchase of access to content through the content

component, but for automatically granting access to basic downloads

to my knowledge nothing generic exists. Depending on what you are

trying to do various things are needed, like a page to see all

available purchased content for download, and so on. There are

actually some services in the content component that can be used for

permission restricted access to download of data (text or binary)

behind a Content record.

There are some sites that I know of that have custom things for doing

these sorts of things, even the Undersun OFBiz documentation site is

a variation of this stuff, but there is nothing really generic to be

used out of the box. Read: some coding will be required.

Re: Users - Digital Download functionality development

David E. Jones

On Jan 23, 2006, at 8:16 AM, Nguyen Minh Triet wrote:

> Concerning the digital download functionality,
>

> It is a necessary requirement that we have the digital download
> functionality in our solution. We are looking at different avenues:
>

> Deploy Ofbiz utilizing the functionality that are present and
> develop what is missing in the webapp that we already have running
> in our solution. What we would need then is to query Ofbiz from our
> application to see if a user has purchased a product (API call with
> the current user and product id).
>

> If adding such functionality directly in Ofbiz requires less effort
> than 1, then we would like to go in this direction in collaboration
> with interested parties of the Ofbiz community.
There are various things that have been considered in this area. The
main things are a page to list downloads available based on completed
order items, and a service to do a simple download with "permission"
checking based on the completed order items.

> Would such functionality be considered to be added to the Ofbiz
> distribution? If this functionality is an element in the Ofbiz
> development plan or priorities, we would look to see if it fits
> within our schedule.
If sufficiently generic and well written (not the the bar is very
high...) it certainly would be considered to add to OFBiz.

About the "Ofbiz development plan or priorities", there really isn't
any such thing. I've written about this a few times, perhaps the best
resources on the topic are:

http://www.ofbiz.org/comingsoon.html

AND in my blog there are various relevant postings:
https://www.undersunconsulting.com/ofbizdoc/control/MainBlog?
contentContentId=BLOGROOTJONES&currentMenuItemName=BLOGROOTJONES

So, a more correct or helpful question might be: is there anyone
listening who might be interested in collaborating on this?

-David