Users - Error message when adding product ...

Users - Error message when adding product ...

Ian Gilbert
Hi List,

I've just had a problem where I tried to add a product onto my front page.
 I added it through the Catalog manager application but am now getting
errors on both the front page and in the catalog manager which stops me
making further changes.  Screenshots of these errors are available at
http://www.ethicalshopper.co.uk/~ian/Personal/front_page.jpg and
http://www.ethicalshopper.co.uk/~ian/Personal/catalog_error.jpg

I have made no changes to the bsh or ftl files which are referenced and,
if possible, I would like to avoid this.

Can anyone suggest a resolution to these errors without having to recreate
the front page?

Thanks and very best wishes

Ian Gilbert

Re: Users - Error message when adding product ...

Jacopo Cappellato
Hi Ian,

it's very difficult to provide a good answer to this... so this is only
a guess: try to set to null the primaryProductCategory of the newly
created product.

Jacopo

Ian Gilbert wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I've just had a problem where I tried to add a product onto my front page.
>  I added it through the Catalog manager application but am now getting
> errors on both the front page and in the catalog manager which stops me
> making further changes.  Screenshots of these errors are available at
> http://www.ethicalshopper.co.uk/~ian/Personal/front_page.jpg and
> http://www.ethicalshopper.co.uk/~ian/Personal/catalog_error.jpg
>
> I have made no changes to the bsh or ftl files which are referenced and,
> if possible, I would like to avoid this.
>
> Can anyone suggest a resolution to these errors without having to recreate
> the front page?
>
> Thanks and very best wishes
>
> Ian Gilbert

Re: Users - Error message when adding product ...

Ian Gilbert
Thanks for the swift answer Jacopo,

That didn't work so I have recreated the category.  I figured I was safe
doing this on a live system so I have learned something :)  I followed
this suggestion but without success unfortunately.  We are hoping to
update to OpenTaps at the weekend (much delayed) and hopefully this sort
of problem won't recur.  It's an old installation (now nearly eighteen
months) and this is the first trouble I've had so no complaints :)

Thanks again and will speak to you soon

Ian

On Mon, March 13, 2006 14:05, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>

> it's very difficult to provide a good answer to this... so this is only a
> guess: try to set to null the primaryProductCategory of the newly
> created product.
>
> Jacopo
>

> Ian Gilbert wrote:
>
>> Hi List,
>>

>> I've just had a problem where I tried to add a product onto my front
>> page. I added it through the Catalog manager application but am now
>> getting errors on both the front page and in the catalog manager which
>> stops me making further changes.  Screenshots of these errors are
>> available at
>> http://www.ethicalshopper.co.uk/~ian/Personal/front_page.jpg and
>> http://www.ethicalshopper.co.uk/~ian/Personal/catalog_error.jpg
>>

>> I have made no changes to the bsh or ftl files which are referenced
>> and, if possible, I would like to avoid this.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest a resolution to these errors without having to
>> recreate the front page?
>>
>> Thanks and very best wishes
>>

>> Ian Gilbert

Re: Users - Error message when adding product ...

Ian,

Yeah, these are weird errors. In the Catalog Manager one it looks like somehow the productId in a ProductCategoryMember record is not valid, ie the product doesn't exist. This probably means that in the database the foreign key for this is missing. You may have to just go into a database client tool or in the Entity Data Maintenance stuff in WebTools and remove the record.

The error in ecommerce may be due to the same problem as it is calling a method on an object that is probably null (ie it couldn't find the product because the ID was bad).

-David

Ian Gilbert wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I've just had a problem where I tried to add a product onto my front page.
>  I added it through the Catalog manager application but am now getting
> errors on both the front page and in the catalog manager which stops me
> making further changes.  Screenshots of these errors are available at
> http://www.ethicalshopper.co.uk/~ian/Personal/front_page.jpg and
> http://www.ethicalshopper.co.uk/~ian/Personal/catalog_error.jpg
>
> I have made no changes to the bsh or ftl files which are referenced and,
> if possible, I would like to avoid this.
>
> Can anyone suggest a resolution to these errors without having to recreate
> the front page?
>
> Thanks and very best wishes
>
> Ian Gilbert

Re: Users - Error message when adding product ...

Ian Gilbert
Thanks David,

that's useful.  I have worked around it and as the codebase is so old and
we're hoping to upgrade, I'm just going to leave it.  We could probably
use a clear out of some of the older stuff but that can wait.

Thanks again all.

Very best wishes

Ian