Users - Flexibility Question

Torray Wallace
Greets,

My company is evaluating OfBiz as a potential long-term replacement for
our existing system. So far we like the OfBiz framework and we like the
community. If it meets our needs we will use it with the plan of
contributing some of our development efforts back to the source. On
that note, I have some questions regarding customization/flexibility.

I'd like to know if the manger UIs (e.g. Catalog, Order, Accounting,
etc.) can be redesigned without disturbing the core code? In other
words, if we were to overhaul the UI design would we have to fork or
would the design be able to sit atop the current OfBiz framework. We
like the idea of being able to overhaul the design without losing the
ability to easily upgrade to future OfBiz versions and components.

Additionally, can anyone point me to some solid, proven OfBiz
developers available for hire or outsourcing?

Thanx,
Torray

Re: Users - Flexibility Question

Andrew Sykes
Torray,

It really depends on how great the planned overhaul is!

You could do a lot simply by modifying the widgets and of course the
CSS.

As for developers, David Jones would be the man to ask, hopefully there
will be some located reasonably near to you!
--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>

Re: Users - Flexibility Question

Torray Wallace
So modifying the widgets will not be a significant disturbance to the
base framework? We'd like to leave the main source alone if possible.
Or better yet. How about this? Can we create our own UI widgets to use
in place of the defaults?

Has anyone tried this already?

Thanx,
Torray

On Feb 8, 2006, at 1:16 PM, Andrew Sykes wrote:

> Torray,
>
> It really depends on how great the planned overhaul is!
>
> You could do a lot simply by modifying the widgets and of course the
> CSS.
>
> As for developers, David Jones would be the man to ask, hopefully there
> will be some located reasonably near to you!
> --
> Kind Regards
> Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
> Sykes Development Ltd
> http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: Users - Flexibility Question

Adrian Crum
We've done that here. We designed our own UI that sits on top of OFBiz services.
We used the canned UI as a guideline.

It would be best to develop a customized UI outside of OFBiz, instead of
modifying the OFBiz UI itself. This makes it easier to port your custom UI to
newer versions of OFBiz.

Torray Wallace wrote:

> So modifying the widgets will not be a significant disturbance to the
> base framework? We'd like to leave the main source alone if possible.
> Or better yet. How about this? Can we create our own UI widgets to use
> in place of the defaults?
>
> Has anyone tried this already?
>
> Thanx,
> Torray
>
> On Feb 8, 2006, at 1:16 PM, Andrew Sykes wrote:
>

>>Torray,
>>
>>It really depends on how great the planned overhaul is!
>>
>>You could do a lot simply by modifying the widgets and of course the
>>CSS.
>>
>>As for developers, David Jones would be the man to ask, hopefully there
>>will be some located reasonably near to you!
>>--
>>Kind Regards
>>Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
>>Sykes Development Ltd
>>http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: Users - Flexibility Question

Andrew Sykes
Torray,

I'd agree with Adrian's strategy, if you've been watching the mailing
list over the last couple of days there has been a fair bit of
discussion about how best to make code as "future-proof" as possible
with respect to changes made within the ofbiz SVN trunk.