Users - Inventory Item

Dimitri Unruh
Hello,

I have just one small question.
Where is the difference between "Serialized" and "Non-Serialized" inventory
items?

I still can't imagine what this typ is for.

Thanks

Dimitri

Re: Users - Inventory Item

Daniel Goodwin
I believe (and I'm sure someone will correct me!) that
a serialized item
is one that is individually numbered where the
number is of some importance. Non serialised items
would have no
distinguishing serial number.
 From my experience serialised inventory would be
retained where
traceability or order of picking may be important.
Say you have an inventory of perishable items( say
bananas) and you want
to make sure that
(a) you issue (pick) the bananas with the nearest
expiry date and want
to make sure picker collects correct boxes
(b) in event of a quality issue with suppliers you
need to find where
all bananas of a particular shipment/batch were sent.

Daniel

Dimitri Unruh wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have just one small question.
>Where is the difference between "Serialized" and
"Non-Serialized" inventory

>items?
>
>I still can't imagine what this typ is for.
>

>Thanks
>
>Dimitri

Re: Users - Inventory Item

From: "Dimitri Unruh" <[hidden email]>

> Hello,
>
> I have just one small question.
> Where is the difference between "Serialized" and "Non-Serialized" inventory
> items?

It depends on if you give or not incremental serial numbers to successive items.

Hope it's clear

Re: Users - Inventory Item

> I believe (and I'm sure someone will correct me!) that
> a serialized item
> is one that is individually numbered where the
> number is of some importance. Non serialised items
> would have no
> distinguishing serial number.
>  From my experience serialised inventory would be
> retained where
> traceability or order of picking may be important.
> Say you have an inventory of perishable items( say
> bananas) and you want
> to make sure that
> (a) you issue (pick) the bananas with the nearest
> expiry date and want
> to make sure picker collects correct boxes
> (b) in event of a quality issue with suppliers you
> need to find where
> all bananas of a particular shipment/batch were sent.
>
> Daniel

Very good example ;o)

Jacques

> Dimitri Unruh wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I have just one small question.
> >Where is the difference between "Serialized" and
> "Non-Serialized" inventory
> >items?
> >
> >I still can't imagine what this typ is for.
> >

> >Thanks
> >
> >Dimitri

Re: Users - Inventory Item

Dimitri Unruh
Thanks to Daniel and Jacques.

No I'm hungry and will eat some bananas :)

Dimitri