Users - Isolating and Using the Entity Engine

Users - Isolating and Using the Entity Engine

Brad Plies
Hi everyone,

I'm just trying to use the OFBIZ Entity Engine for a pilot project.  I
want to use the engine standalone and embedded within another system.  I
already know to use the ofbiz.jar, ofbiz-base.jar, and ofbiz-entity.jar
and their dependent jars.  My question is, how do you start the entity
engine?

I know you can use the the org.ofbiz.base.start.Start mechanism, but
this project does not need any of the container and component loading
fanciness.  The project's source file layout also does not lend itself
well to how OFBIZ would like files to be laid out.

So far I have successfully placed entityengine.xml on the classpath and
gotten the GenericDelegator to find and parse the file.  The next thing
I am trying to figure out though is how to load my entitymodel.xml and
entitygroup.xml files (there is only one of each for this entire project).

How would that be done?  After familiarizing myself with the source code
for a good long while, I'm thinking that I somehow need to use
org.ofbiz.base.component.ComponentConfig and
org.ofbiz.entity.model.ModelReader.  Am I on the right track?  How do I
get my entity files parsed?  What might some simple sample code look like?

Thanks,

Brad

Re: Users - Isolating and Using the Entity Engine

Florin T.PATRASCU (work)
Hi Brad,

I am successfully using the entity engine and the service engine outside
ofbiz. If you plan to host your application under JBoss and because I
see you have a good understanding about how EE works, then maybe this
link http://weblog.flop.ca/2005/08/06/1123364832780.html, will help you
a bit. By following my example you'll be able to share the EE and SE as
MBean services to any web application running under JBoss. The sources
(nothing complicated) are also included in the examples. If you'll find
them useful enough to improve them then I'll be glad if you'll let me know.

My 2CAD cents :)
-florin

Brad wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm just trying to use the OFBIZ Entity Engine for a pilot project.  I
> want to use the engine standalone and embedded within another system.  I
> already know to use the ofbiz.jar, ofbiz-base.jar, and ofbiz-entity.jar
> and their dependent jars.  My question is, how do you start the entity
> engine?
>
> I know you can use the the org.ofbiz.base.start.Start mechanism, but
> this project does not need any of the container and component loading
> fanciness.  The project's source file layout also does not lend itself
> well to how OFBIZ would like files to be laid out.
>
> So far I have successfully placed entityengine.xml on the classpath and
> gotten the GenericDelegator to find and parse the file.  The next thing
> I am trying to figure out though is how to load my entitymodel.xml and
> entitygroup.xml files (there is only one of each for this entire project).
>
> How would that be done?  After familiarizing myself with the source code
> for a good long while, I'm thinking that I somehow need to use
> org.ofbiz.base.component.ComponentConfig and
> org.ofbiz.entity.model.ModelReader.  Am I on the right track?  How do I
> get my entity files parsed?  What might some simple sample code look like?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brad

Re: Users - Isolating and Using the Entity Engine

Take a look at the Entity Engine Configuration Guide. You can specify entity model and entity group files right in the entityengine.xml file instead of going through the component file configuration.

-David

Brad wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm just trying to use the OFBIZ Entity Engine for a pilot project.  I
> want to use the engine standalone and embedded within another system.  I
> already know to use the ofbiz.jar, ofbiz-base.jar, and ofbiz-entity.jar
> and their dependent jars.  My question is, how do you start the entity
> engine?
>
> I know you can use the the org.ofbiz.base.start.Start mechanism, but
> this project does not need any of the container and component loading
> fanciness.  The project's source file layout also does not lend itself
> well to how OFBIZ would like files to be laid out.
>
> So far I have successfully placed entityengine.xml on the classpath and
> gotten the GenericDelegator to find and parse the file.  The next thing
> I am trying to figure out though is how to load my entitymodel.xml and
> entitygroup.xml files (there is only one of each for this entire project).
>
> How would that be done?  After familiarizing myself with the source code
> for a good long while, I'm thinking that I somehow need to use
> org.ofbiz.base.component.ComponentConfig and
> org.ofbiz.entity.model.ModelReader.  Am I on the right track?  How do I
> get my entity files parsed?  What might some simple sample code look like?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brad

Re: Users - Isolating and Using the Entity Engine

Fred Forester-2
Hi All,

Just curious, has anyone tried combining this
http://weblog.flop.ca/2005/08/06/1123364832780.html

with this
http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/jsf/index.html

and if so, how's it working out?

Thanx
Fred

Florin T.PATRASCU (work) wrote:

> Hi Brad,
>
> I am successfully using the entity engine and the service engine outside
> ofbiz. If you plan to host your application under JBoss and because I
> see you have a good understanding about how EE works, then maybe this
> link http://weblog.flop.ca/2005/08/06/1123364832780.html, will help you
> a bit. By following my example you'll be able to share the EE and SE as
> MBean services to any web application running under JBoss. The sources
> (nothing complicated) are also included in the examples. If you'll find
> them useful enough to improve them then I'll be glad if you'll let me know.
>
> My 2CAD cents :)
> -florin
>

> Brad wrote:
>
>>Hi everyone,
>>
>>I'm just trying to use the OFBIZ Entity Engine for a pilot project.  I
>>want to use the engine standalone and embedded within another system.  I
>>already know to use the ofbiz.jar, ofbiz-base.jar, and ofbiz-entity.jar
>>and their dependent jars.  My question is, how do you start the entity
>>engine?
>>
>>I know you can use the the org.ofbiz.base.start.Start mechanism, but
>>this project does not need any of the container and component loading
>>fanciness.  The project's source file layout also does not lend itself
>>well to how OFBIZ would like files to be laid out.
>>
>>So far I have successfully placed entityengine.xml on the classpath and
>>gotten the GenericDelegator to find and parse the file.  The next thing
>>I am trying to figure out though is how to load my entitymodel.xml and
>>entitygroup.xml files (there is only one of each for this entire project).
>>
>>How would that be done?  After familiarizing myself with the source code
>>for a good long while, I'm thinking that I somehow need to use
>>org.ofbiz.base.component.ComponentConfig and
>>org.ofbiz.entity.model.ModelReader.  Am I on the right track?  How do I
>>get my entity files parsed?  What might some simple sample code look like?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Brad

Re: Users - Isolating and Using the Entity Engine

Carl Gleisner

this thread is two years old. Is this stuff still current?

Carl

Brad Plies wrote
[...]

BJ Freeman
since then the framework and applications have been seperated physically
and dependence wise.
so you can not load the applications and just use the framework.
it would load the same as it does now.
there is discussion about doing a Just framework release.
also you can do a search on the dev mailing list for discusssion.
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Mailing+Lists

Carl Johansson sent the following on 8/9/2008 2:28 AM: