Users - OFBiz Booth at OSCON2006 (Portland, OR 26-28 July 2006)

Users - OFBiz Booth at OSCON2006 (Portland, OR 26-28 July 2006)

David E. Jones

First off, thanks to Si Chen for arranging this.

O'Reilly is offering free booths to certain open source projects for the OSCON exhibit hall. Here's one advantage of the OFBiz incubation at the ASF...

Our booth number is 1118. It looks like we'll be in a pretty good place, right across from the "Food & Beverage" area which is surrounded by booths on one end of the hall.

It isn't a really big booth, but certainly big enough and well enough located to get us some good attention.

This is primarily a marketing opportunity for OFBiz, but as with all things in a community driven project like OFBiz it means it is also a marketing opportunity for the OFBiz-based companies (and individuals...).

In fact, since OFBiz has no marketing budget (or any sort of budget) all marketing resources are derived from community members as a part of co-branding efforts.

This is important! We need your help! And yes, at the same time the intention is that you will be helped too.

We need to get together a group of whoever is interested and start creating some marketing collateral. It would be great to have a big sign with logos of all of the various "Parties" involved with this, and a big OFBiz logo at the top. Hopefully we'll get some OFBiz-only brochures put together, but each participant is welcome to create and distribute their own brochures and have their own people on site.

In fact, that's another need we have: people to help man the booth! It would be great to have 2-3 people there at all times. This is another area where we need volunteers (and commitments...). I'll try to be there all 3 days, but I don't really want to be in the booth the whole time... ;) I know Si and some others are already planning to be there as well.

Anyway, this is a great opportunity for the project in general, and for each of us individually!

We do plan to have an OFBiz meeting somehow. We might still get a BOF session, but it looks like you have to be registered for the conference sessions to attend the BOFs. So, we plan to have a somewhat formal meeting for OFBiz independent of OSCON. Of course, there will be lots of time to chat at the conference, and have meals and such.

BTW: today is the last day to register for the conference at a discounted rate! Of course, this only applies to the conference sessions. The exhibit hall entry is free.

If anyone has any ideas or wants to participate, please respond here or directly to me or Si.

Re: Users - OFBiz Booth at OSCON2006 (Portland, OR 26-28 July 2006)

BJ Freeman

Wow.. That is almost in my back yard.. LOL.
will know more latter, if I can help.
Have to find out where I can park my MotorCoach.
If nothing else May take the train down for a day.
Haven't been to portland in ages.

And Thanks Si.

David E. Jones sent the following on 6/5/06 11:41 AM:

> First off, thanks to Si Chen for arranging this.
>
> O'Reilly is offering free booths to certain open source projects for the OSCON exhibit hall. Here's one advantage of the OFBiz incubation at the ASF...
>
> Our booth number is 1118. It looks like we'll be in a pretty good place, right across from the "Food & Beverage" area which is surrounded by booths on one end of the hall.
>
> It isn't a really big booth, but certainly big enough and well enough located to get us some good attention.
>
> This is primarily a marketing opportunity for OFBiz, but as with all things in a community driven project like OFBiz it means it is also a marketing opportunity for the OFBiz-based companies (and individuals...).
>
> In fact, since OFBiz has no marketing budget (or any sort of budget) all marketing resources are derived from community members as a part of co-branding efforts.
>
> This is important! We need your help! And yes, at the same time the intention is that you will be helped too.
>
> We need to get together a group of whoever is interested and start creating some marketing collateral. It would be great to have a big sign with logos of all of the various "Parties" involved with this, and a big OFBiz logo at the top. Hopefully we'll get some OFBiz-only brochures put together, but each participant is welcome to create and distribute their own brochures and have their own people on site.
>
> In fact, that's another need we have: people to help man the booth! It would be great to have 2-3 people there at all times. This is another area where we need volunteers (and commitments...). I'll try to be there all 3 days, but I don't really want to be in the booth the whole time... ;) I know Si and some others are already planning to be there as well.
>
> Anyway, this is a great opportunity for the project in general, and for each of us individually!
>
> We do plan to have an OFBiz meeting somehow. We might still get a BOF session, but it looks like you have to be registered for the conference sessions to attend the BOFs. So, we plan to have a somewhat formal meeting for OFBiz independent of OSCON. Of course, there will be lots of time to chat at the conference, and have meals and such.
>
> BTW: today is the last day to register for the conference at a discounted rate! Of course, this only applies to the conference sessions. The exhibit hall entry is free.
>
> If anyone has any ideas or wants to participate, please respond here or directly to me or Si.

Re: Users - OFBiz Booth at OSCON2006 (Portland, OR 26-28 July 2006)

davidnwelton
> This is primarily a marketing opportunity for OFBiz, but as with all things in a community driven project like OFBiz it means it is also a marketing opportunity for the OFBiz-based companies (and individuals...).

Like I've mentioned elsewhere, I'd like to try and make it up there.
I don't have anything to sell myself in terms of OFBiz, so I'd gladly
leave booth work to others, although I wouldn't mind doing a turn or
two.  More than anything, it would be fun to meet people, sign gpg
keys, and chat about the state of things.  Hopefully there shouldn't
really be many open questions that haven't been answered about the ASF
at that point, but those are welcome too:-)

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Users - OFBiz Booth at OSCON2006 (Portland, OR 26-28 July 2006)

More news about the OSCON coming up in a few weeks...

We have (also thanks to Si) a BOF meeting setup, and anyone can attend (even if they are just casually seeing the show/exhibit and haven't purchased conference session tickets and such). Here are the details:

- Wednesday, July 26th at 8:30 - 9:30 PM
- Location: D135
- BoF Name: Open For Business Project

All users, developers, and other interested parties are welcome to attend! This will be kind of like a miniature users conference, though we would still like to have a real users conference at some point this year.

-David

David E. Jones wrote:

> First off, thanks to Si Chen for arranging this.
>
> O'Reilly is offering free booths to certain open source projects for the
> OSCON exhibit hall. Here's one advantage of the OFBiz incubation at the
> ASF...
>
> Our booth number is 1118. It looks like we'll be in a pretty good place,
> right across from the "Food & Beverage" area which is surrounded by
> booths on one end of the hall.
>
> It isn't a really big booth, but certainly big enough and well enough
> located to get us some good attention.
>
> This is primarily a marketing opportunity for OFBiz, but as with all
> things in a community driven project like OFBiz it means it is also a
> marketing opportunity for the OFBiz-based companies (and individuals...).
>
> In fact, since OFBiz has no marketing budget (or any sort of budget) all
> marketing resources are derived from community members as a part of
> co-branding efforts.
>
> This is important! We need your help! And yes, at the same time the
> intention is that you will be helped too.
>
> We need to get together a group of whoever is interested and start
> creating some marketing collateral. It would be great to have a big sign
> with logos of all of the various "Parties" involved with this, and a big
> OFBiz logo at the top. Hopefully we'll get some OFBiz-only brochures put
> together, but each participant is welcome to create and distribute their
> own brochures and have their own people on site.
>
> In fact, that's another need we have: people to help man the booth! It
> would be great to have 2-3 people there at all times. This is another
> area where we need volunteers (and commitments...). I'll try to be there
> all 3 days, but I don't really want to be in the booth the whole time...
> ;) I know Si and some others are already planning to be there as well.
>
> Anyway, this is a great opportunity for the project in general, and for
> each of us individually!
>
> We do plan to have an OFBiz meeting somehow. We might still get a BOF
> session, but it looks like you have to be registered for the conference
> sessions to attend the BOFs. So, we plan to have a somewhat formal
> meeting for OFBiz independent of OSCON. Of course, there will be lots of
> time to chat at the conference, and have meals and such.
>
> BTW: today is the last day to register for the conference at a
> discounted rate! Of course, this only applies to the conference
> sessions. The exhibit hall entry is free.
>
> If anyone has any ideas or wants to participate, please respond here or
> directly to me or Si.

Re: [OFBiz] Users - OFBiz Booth at OSCON2006 (Portland, OR 26-28 July 2006)

Walter Vaughan
David E. Jones wrote:

> More news about the OSCON coming up in a few weeks...
> We have (also thanks to Si) a BOF meeting setup, and anyone can attend
> - Wednesday, July 26th at 8:30 - 9:30 PM
> - Location: D135
> - BoF Name: Open For Business Project
> All users, developers, and other interested parties are welcome to attend!

I'm thinking of flying from NC to see this. I'm kinda wondering how many end
users of ofBiz will be there. I'd like to hear the war stories.

Do we need to start a show of hands thread?

Re: [OFBiz] Users - OFBiz Booth at OSCON2006 (Portland, OR 26-28 July 2006)

J Aaron Farr
On 6/14/06, David E. Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> More news about the OSCON coming up in a few weeks...
>
> We have (also thanks to Si) a BOF meeting setup, and anyone can attend (even if they are just casually seeing the show/exhibit and haven't purchased conference session tickets and such). Here are the details:
>
> - Wednesday, July 26th at 8:30 - 9:30 PM
> - Location: D135
> - BoF Name: Open For Business Project
>
> All users, developers, and other interested parties are welcome to attend! This will be kind of like a miniature users conference, though we would still like to have a real users conference at some point this year.

I'll be at OSCON for the whole week.  I'm planning on attending the
BoF and if you need help at the booth, I'm willing to help where I
can.

--
  jaaron

Re: [OFBiz] Users - OFBiz Booth at OSCON2006 (Portland, OR 26-28 July 2006)

davidnwelton
> I'm thinking of flying from NC to see this. I'm kinda wondering how many end
> users of ofBiz will be there. I'd like to hear the war stories.
>
> Do we need to start a show of hands thread?

I'm going to try and make it because 1) it looks like a fun conference
in any case.  2) Portland is very nice at that time of year.  3)
Powell's Books.

Hopefully the sessions have been decided for ApacheCon (Austin, TX,
October) and will be known soon.   That might be another nice occasion
for people to meet up, especially if one of the OFBiz guys is selected
to speak.  OSCON has an advantage in that it is free to just show up
at this BOF, from what I understand.