Users - PostgreSQL 8.1 faster than MySQL 5.0?

Users - PostgreSQL 8.1 faster than MySQL 5.0?

Vinay Agarwal

Hello,

I have been using MySQL 5 on Windows XP/SP2 setup and just tried PostgreSQL 8.1 for the first time. Here are the ant run-install timings (from empty database) on my computer with each:

MySQL 5                    17 minutes

PostgreSQL 8.1           7 minutes (almost one third of MySQL)

I thought MySQL was faster than PostgreSQL!

Regards,

Vinay Agarwal

Re: Users - PostgreSQL 8.1 faster than MySQL 5.0?

davidnwelton
> I have been using MySQL 5 on Windows XP/SP2 setup and just tried PostgreSQL
> 8.1 for the first time. Here are the ant run-install timings (from empty
> database) on my computer with each:

> MySQL 5                    17 minutes
>
> PostgreSQL 8.1           7 minutes (almost one third of MySQL)

> I thought MySQL was faster than PostgreSQL!

When you turn off 'annoying details' like foreign keys and
transactions, it certainly is, at least for simple selects and
inserts.  I have yet to see any good benchmarks for Mysql 5 with
InnoDB vs Postgresql.  It would be especially interesting to see
benchmarks utilizing more complex queries.

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting