Users - Problem in transaction : occuring set rollback only

Users - Problem in transaction : occuring set rollback only

subhradeep bhatacharya
Hi All,

I am constantly getting the set rollback only error while running a service. The problem only occurs when the database connected to the server contains huge data. The Party table itself contains around 10 million records. In the code first we have started a transaction by using TransactionUtil.begin() and after the whole process we have comitted that using TransactionUtil.comit(true). I have even tried by setting the transaction-timeout by calling TransactionUtil.setTransactionTimeout(7200). I am using the ofbiz version 5028. I have checked that it is not data problem as the service runs fine in small chunks of data.

Its suddenly giving
@40000000448ffbea1a658ba4 8215134 (JotmBatch) [    TransactionImpl.java:765:INFO ] set rollback only (tx=bb14:38:0:0111d00a1db8789db1...eb75de:)

And I have checked that before it there occured no exception.

Then after few statements its giving
@40000000448ffff92ae32a04 [TransactionUtil.begin] active transaction marked for rollback in place, so no transaction begun; this stack trace shows when the exception began:
@40000000448ffff92ae34174 Exception: java.lang.Exception
@40000000448ffff92ae34944 Message: Tx Stack Placeholder
@40000000448ffff92ae354fc ---- stack trace ---------------------------------------------------------------
@40000000448ffff92ae3ba8c java.lang.Exception: Tx Stack Placeholder
@40000000448ffff92ae3c644 org.ofbiz.entity.transaction.TransactionUtil.setTransactionBeginStack(TransactionUtil.java:517)

The above exception is obvious. The set rollback only is causing the whole mess.

Can anyone please answer me why every time its throwing set rollback only?

Regards,
Subhra

Do you Yahoo!?

Re: Users - Problem in transaction : occuring set rollback only

David E. Jones

If it is because of a timeout, then it sounds like it is behaving 100% as it should.

You could change your global transaction timeout to something higher, though usually doing it per method or service that needs more time is better. It's easy with the service definitions.

Of course, if something is taking a long time you should get your DBA to attack and optimize it. For any large database NO MATTER the application(s) running on it, query monitoring and optimization is a _must_. That's just a basic part of enterprise infrastructure and there is usually not much that can be done about it on the application level. Ya gotta optimize the db...

-David

subhradeep bhatacharya wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am constantly getting the set rollback only error while running a
> service. The problem only occurs when the database connected to the
> server contains huge data. The Party table itself contains around 10
> million records. In the code first we have started a transaction by
> using TransactionUtil.begin() and after the whole process we have
> comitted that using TransactionUtil.comit(true). I have even tried by
> setting the transaction-timeout by calling
> TransactionUtil.setTransactionTimeout(7200). I am using the ofbiz
> version 5028. I have checked that it is not data problem as the service
> runs fine in small chunks of data.
>
> Its suddenly giving
> @40000000448ffbea1a658ba4 8215134 (JotmBatch) [
> TransactionImpl.java:765:INFO ] *set rollback only*
> (tx=bb14:38:0:0111d00a1db8789db1...eb75de:)
>
> And I have checked that before it there occured no exception.
>
> Then after few statements its giving
> @40000000448ffff92ae32a04 [TransactionUtil.begin] active transaction
> marked for rollback in place, so no transaction begun; this stack trace
> shows when the exception began:
> @40000000448ffff92ae34174 Exception: java.lang.Exception
> @40000000448ffff92ae34944 Message: Tx Stack Placeholder
> @40000000448ffff92ae354fc ---- stack trace
> @40000000448ffff92ae3ba8c java.lang.Exception: Tx Stack Placeholder
> @40000000448ffff92ae3c644
> org.ofbiz.entity.transaction.TransactionUtil.setTransactionBeginStack(TransactionUtil.java:517)
>
> The above exception is obvious. The set rollback only is causing the
> whole mess.
>
> Can anyone please answer me why every time its throwing set rollback only?
>
> Regards,
> Subhra

> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=40791/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/handraisers>

Re: Users - Problem in transaction : occuring set rollback only

BJ Freeman

also check how much cpu time, and real memory is left for the db engine.
   having enough real memory, as opposed to swap files, can be a real
problem.  take a look at how much cycle time it takes per transaction,
with large tables of data,
  from the DB's end.
Depending on the DB engine your are running, doing things like enlarging
the temp table may help.

  I always run DB's, with large amount of information on a seperate
machine.

David E. Jones sent the following on 6/19/06 12:32 AM:

> If it is because of a timeout, then it sounds like it is behaving 100% as it should.
>
> You could change your global transaction timeout to something higher, though usually doing it per method or service that needs more time is better. It's easy with the service definitions.
>
> Of course, if something is taking a long time you should get your DBA to attack and optimize it. For any large database NO MATTER the application(s) running on it, query monitoring and optimization is a _must_. That's just a basic part of enterprise infrastructure and there is usually not much that can be done about it on the application level. Ya gotta optimize the db...
>
> -David
>

> subhradeep bhatacharya wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>I am constantly getting the set rollback only error while running a
>>service. The problem only occurs when the database connected to the
>>server contains huge data. The Party table itself contains around 10
>>million records. In the code first we have started a transaction by
>>using TransactionUtil.begin() and after the whole process we have
>>comitted that using TransactionUtil.comit(true). I have even tried by
>>setting the transaction-timeout by calling
>>TransactionUtil.setTransactionTimeout(7200). I am using the ofbiz
>>version 5028. I have checked that it is not data problem as the service
>>runs fine in small chunks of data.
>>
>>Its suddenly giving
>>@40000000448ffbea1a658ba4 8215134 (JotmBatch) [
>>TransactionImpl.java:765:INFO ] *set rollback only*
>>(tx=bb14:38:0:0111d00a1db8789db1...eb75de:)
>>
>>And I have checked that before it there occured no exception.
>>
>>Then after few statements its giving
>>@40000000448ffff92ae32a04 [TransactionUtil.begin] active transaction
>>marked for rollback in place, so no transaction begun; this stack trace
>>shows when the exception began:
>>@40000000448ffff92ae34174 Exception: java.lang.Exception
>>@40000000448ffff92ae34944 Message: Tx Stack Placeholder
>>@40000000448ffff92ae354fc ---- stack trace
>>@40000000448ffff92ae3ba8c java.lang.Exception: Tx Stack Placeholder
>>@40000000448ffff92ae3c644
>>org.ofbiz.entity.transaction.TransactionUtil.setTransactionBeginStack(TransactionUtil.java:517)
>>
>>The above exception is obvious. The set rollback only is causing the
>>whole mess.
>>
>>Can anyone please answer me why every time its throwing set rollback only?
>>
>>Regards,
>>Subhra

>>Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.
>><http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=40791/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/handraisers>

Re: Users - Problem in transaction : occuring set rollback only

subhradeep bhatacharya
Hi,

Thanks for your responses. Atlast it seems that I am able to solve the problem. Actually I was using delegator.findListIteratorByCondition(..) to fetch data from database, which returns EntityListIterator and using this iterator I was iterating the fetched data to do business oriented processing and after some while it was throwing the exceptions mentioned below. Now when I shift to delegator.findByAnd(..) which returns a list and I loop through the list, its working fine. Could you point me where the problem was? Is it a issue with EntityListIterator? Which one is recommended List or EntityListIterator while dealing with huge data?

Regards,
Subhra

BJ Freeman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>>marked for rollback in place, so no transaction begun; this stack trace
>>shows when the exception began:
>>@40000000448ffff92ae34174 Exception: java.lang.Exception
>>@40000000448ffff92ae34944 Message: Tx Stack Placeholder
>>@40000000448ffff92ae354fc ---- stack trace
>>@40000000448ffff92ae3ba8c java.lang.Exception: Tx Stack Placeholder
>>@40000000448ffff92ae3c644
>>org.ofbiz.entity.transaction.TransactionUtil.setTransactionBeginStack(TransactionUtil.java:517)
>>
>>The above exception is obvious. The set rollback only is causing the
>>whole mess.
>>
>>Can anyone please answer me why every time its throwing set rollback only?
>>
>>Regards,
>>Subhra

>>Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.

Re: Users - Problem in transaction : occuring set rollback only

Andrew Sykes
Subhra,

The difference is...

findByAnd() gets all the matches, puts them in a List and closes the
connection.

findListIteratorByCondition() gets an EntityListIterator which maintains
a RecordSet cursor, so the connection to the database is not closed.
Obviously this method is far more efficient with large record sets as it
is not holding all the query results in memory. However, if you keep
that connection open for a long time, you'll get a timeout unless you
increase the transaction time.

I hope that helps...
--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>

Re: Users - Problem in transaction : occuring set rollback only

subhradeep bhatacharya
Thanks for the explanation.

Actually I have tried to set transaction-timeout to some reasonable high value (7200) while using EntityListIterator. But that doesn't help. May be my implementation was not right as my knowledge as how ofbiz handle transaction is quite low. What I did was before calling delegator.findListIteratorByCondition(..), to get the data in the form of EntityListIterator, I begin a transaction using TransactionUtil.begin() and then set the timeout by TransactionUtil.setTransactionTimeout(7200). Then the Iterator was iterated and different services (in the services use-transaction value is the default one) were called to do the processing. And the setRollbackOnly error is occurring approx. after 2 min, long before 7200 secs (that I have set). Please point me where I was doing wrong?

Could you suggest me the approach I should take for dealing with the scenario stated above?

Regards,
Subhra

Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>marked for rollback in place, so no transaction begun; this stack trace
>>shows when the exception began:
>>@40000000448ffff92ae34174 Exception: java.lang.Exception
>>@40000000448ffff92ae34944 Message: Tx Stack Placeholder
>>@40000000448ffff92ae354fc ---- stack trace
>>@40000000448ffff92ae3ba8c java.lang.Exception: Tx Stack Placeholder
>>@40000000448ffff92ae3c644
>>org.ofbiz.entity.transaction.TransactionUtil.setTransactionBeginStack(TransactionUtil.java:517)
>>
>>The above exception is obvious. The set rollback only is causing the
>>whole mess.
>>
>>Can anyone please answer me why every time its throwing set rollback only?
>>
>>Regards,
>>Subhra

>>Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.

Re: Users - Problem in transaction : occuring set rollback only

It may be that a parent transaction is timing out rather than the one
you set, for example if this code is in a service, you can set the
service timeout...
http://www.ofbiz.org/api/framework/service/build/javadocs/org/ofbiz/service/GenericDispatcher.html

If this is a very large set of data, perhaps a partial list would be
more appropriate?
EntityListIterator.getPartialList(int start, int number)
--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
Sykes Development Ltd
http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: Users - Problem in transaction : occuring set rollback only

Alexandre Gomes-5
Hi Subhra,

   I don't think you have to explicitly begin or end the transaction
in code. Also (I might be wrong) but I think it's not correct to set
the transaction timeout after it has begun. Just wrap your code in a
service (coded in Java, Minilang, etc...) and configure your
parameters in the service definition like this one for example :

<service name="fulfillDigitalItems" engine="java"
require-new-transaction="true" transaction-timout="300"
       location="org.ofbiz.order.order.OrderServices"
invoke="fulfillDigitalItems">
       <description>Order Fulfillment</description>
       <attribute name="orderId" type="String" mode="IN" optional="false"/>
       <attribute name="orderItems" type="java.util.List" mode="IN"
optional="false"/>
   </service>

   Then call it from your code as a service :

    result = dispatcher.runSync("name="fulfillDigitalItems"",
UtilMisc.toMap("orderId", orderId, "orderItems", orderItems));

   The transaction stuff is automatically managed by the framework.

   Folks please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Regards,
Alex