Users - Question:The Ofbiz3.1 deploy in Jboss4.0.4?

Users - Question:The Ofbiz3.1 deploy in Jboss4.0.4?

showsscel
All:
    How do you do!
    The Ofbiz3.1 deploy in Jboss4.0.4,Because the Jboss support J2EE standard and free.It's real enterprise application environment.
    The Ofbiz deploy in Jboss application server,It should may structure advanced enterprise application.Example:EIP.
    But the configure is difficult,Now,I need help.Have people successful?

                                                                                       Lin Yong

Re: Users - Question:The Ofbiz3.1 deploy in Jboss4.0.4?

Florin T.PATRASCU (work)
Hi there mate,

Why one will wish to install OFBiz under JBoss? OFBiz was designed to be
a standalone all-in-one piece of software, and if you really need OFBiz
for what it offers, than you shouldn't add to the mix an Application
server like JBoss. On this topic, to be honest with you, some of my
coworkers and I are not happy at all with the current trend OFBiz is
approaching: "the Geronimo jump", this is how we call it. OFBiz is/was
good as it is/was, easily configurable, easy to install, easy to start,
easy to debug, easy to *demonstrate*, no app server dependencies, easy
to scale, etc. Now, Geronimo will add a new set of rules and concerns,
some of them very specific, such as: app server configuration,
clustering, distributed session management, monitoring and control,
etc., nevertheless the classpath issues (read here nightmare) you may
encounter if you want to build your own "nested" app inside OFBiz. I
personally believe that this "jump" is more a political one than a
strategical one and I hope David and Co. here ;) will take the best
decision. As far as we (my team and I) are concerned, the first thing
we'll do when Geronimo+Ofbiz package will be ready, will be to ..
un-pack it, and use OFBiz standalone :) unless there are very strong
advantages in using Geronimo....

Anyways, to your point, in our case, at work, we have complex legacy
applications running under JBoss and it may be your situation too. To
make them work together with OFBiz, we bridged the legacy applications
with OFBiz functions and data model by using JBoss MBEANS and it works
great. The experience I gathered during that time is summarized in a
simple article I wrote some time ago, article describing how one can use
the Entity Engine and the Service Engine from a web app installed under
JBoss and maybe you'll find it useful. Here's the link:
http://weblog.flop.ca/2005/08/06/1123364832780.html

Lin, here's a 2 Canadian cents advice: use OFBiz *as is*! Is working!
... if you know what you're doing ;)

Cheers,
-florin

林勇 wrote:

> All:
> How do you do!
> The Ofbiz3.1 deploy in Jboss4.0.4,Because the Jboss support J2EE
> standard and free.It's real enterprise application environment.
> The Ofbiz deploy in Jboss application server,It should may structure
> advanced enterprise application.Example:EIP.
> But the configure is difficult,Now,I need help.Have people successful?
>
> Lin Yong

Re: Users - Question:The Ofbiz3.1 deploy in Jboss4.0.4?

davidnwelton
> server like JBoss. On this topic, to be honest with you, some of my
> coworkers and I are not happy at all with the current trend OFBiz is
> approaching: "the Geronimo jump", this is how we call it. OFBiz is/was
> good as it is/was, easily configurable, easy to install, easy to start,
> easy to debug, easy to *demonstrate*, no app server dependencies, easy
> to scale, etc. Now, Geronimo will add a new set of rules and concerns,
> some of them very specific, such as: app server configuration,
> clustering, distributed session management, monitoring and control,
> etc., nevertheless the classpath issues (read here nightmare) you may
> encounter if you want to build your own "nested" app inside OFBiz. I
> personally believe that this "jump" is more a political one than a
> strategical one and I hope David and Co. here ;) will take the best
> decision. As far as we (my team and I) are concerned, the first thing
> we'll do when Geronimo+Ofbiz package will be ready, will be to ..
> un-pack it, and use OFBiz standalone :) unless there are very strong
> advantages in using Geronimo....

The move to the ASF should impact things as little as possible, but
unfortunately, there are some licensing issues involved.  One of the
ways you can help ensure that OFBiz does what you want is to help out
the developers.  David Jones commented on this a bit on the -dev list
last month:

http://lists.ofbiz.org/pipermail/dev/2006-March/010036.html

I'm 99% sure that David and the other core guys wouldn't refuse help
in attempting to pull out the necessary components from Geronimo, so
that OFBiz doesn't need to be included 'inside' it.

Ciao,
--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Users - Question:The Ofbiz3.1 deploy in Jboss4.0.4?

Lei Gao-2
Hi Florin

I partially agree with you, to apply to the commercial customers, we need to accept what OFBiz is right now. However, another goal of this community, I guess, is to make OFBiz accepted in a wider range of developers. To move it to ASF is one step to achieve this goal. Now, most application developers they know JSP, they know Java Bean, they might know JSF as well, and when they start to work on OFBiz, they will find that all their skill can not be used much in this project.  This will freak them out.

Without the developer's refering, I guess no commercial customers ever heard about OFBiz. So, to gain more reputation even in bussiness area, I think some of us need to work on something to make it more convenient for OFbiz working with the major app-servers. Not only for technical sake, for business as well.

I think it is possible to deploy this application to JBoss, just might need some patience and several steps. Can somebody who is a Ant guru to make these one step thing? Let's say, with our ant script, we run ant run-install-ear, it will generate an EAR file for people?

Lei

林勇 wrote:

> All:
> How do you do!
> The Ofbiz3.1 deploy in Jboss4.0.4,Because the Jboss support J2EE
> standard and free.It's real enterprise application environment.
> The Ofbiz deploy in Jboss application server,It should may structure
> advanced enterprise application.Example:EIP.
> But the configure is difficult,Now,I need help.Have people successful?
>
> Lin Yong

Re: Users - Question:The Ofbiz3.1 deploy in Jboss4.0.4?

David E. Jones

Lei,

OFBiz does run in other app servers. As I described in fair detail in the email message that David W. included a link to there are big issues with how many app servers do things, and of course most of the details in that message were regarding Geronimo.

But yes, OFBiz is a J2EE application and can run in other app servers. There are well over a hundred classpath entries and over a dozen webapps to mount, and so manually configuring things is a bit tricky. We do have an "appsever" component that has a templating mechanism for creating config and deployment files for different app servers. We have sample templates in there for WebLogic and Orion.

I know from recent client experience that deployment in Weblogic is possible, and even possible using an EAR file... but _ONLY_ with the proprietary WebLogic EAR extensions as the standard EAR stuff is not sufficient because of the head-in-the-sand classpath issues with them.

Can you deploy OFBiz in JBoss? Yes, of course. It might be a real pain and require more work each time than you want, and that's one of the many reasons we don't use JBoss by default, but it's certainly possible...

As far as the tools go: this has been discussed a lot and for more of my thoughts on it please look over the email history and my blog and such. In other words, spend a few minutes looking for it so I don't have to either do that or write it up again.

-David

Lei Gao wrote:

> [...]
>     http://weblog.flop.ca/2005/08/06/1123364832780.html
>
>     Lin, here's a 2 Canadian cents advice: use OFBiz *as is*! Is working!
>     ... if you know what you're doing ;)
>
>     Cheers,
>     -florin
>

>     林勇 wrote:
>      > All:
>      > How do you do!
>      > The Ofbiz3.1 deploy in Jboss4.0.4,Because the Jboss support J2EE
>      > standard and free.It's real enterprise application environment.
>      > The Ofbiz deploy in Jboss application server,It should may structure
>      > advanced enterprise application.Example:EIP.
>      > But the configure is difficult,Now,I need help.Have people
>     successful?
>      >
>      > Lin Yong
>      >

Re: Users - Question:The Ofbiz3.1 deploy in Jboss4.0.4?

Thanks David,

You gave a very clear explaination about the background.

Please forgive me that although I was thinking about it time to time, but I never tried to deploy this application to other app servers. Business requirements always take the highest priority. But I still can tell the needs. People like to come up with other technologies working along with OFBiz under a same app server. Say, their own JSP based application, their EJB, JMS modules. For myself, I host my website same time with OFBiz instance, I'd like to use some JSP to do some other works.

Here are my questions, is there a guideline to deploy this application to other system? What is the most difficult part? Database connection pool setting? Context root? JNDI or anything else?

Dose a GUI tool help? If it dose, then we can build a tool to generate all DDs and copy the jar files to the right directory. If I could get the enough knowedgement, I'd love to build such a GUI tool.

Lei

Lei Gao wrote:

> [...]
>     http://weblog.flop.ca/2005/08/06/1123364832780.html
>
>     Lin, here's a 2 Canadian cents advice: use OFBiz *as is*! Is working!
>     ... if you know what you're doing ;)
>
>     Cheers,
>     -florin
>

>     林勇 wrote:
>      > All:
>      > How do you do!
>      > The Ofbiz3.1 deploy in Jboss4.0.4,Because the Jboss support J2EE
>      > standard and free.It's real enterprise application environment.
>      > The Ofbiz deploy in Jboss application server,It should may structure
>      > advanced enterprise application.Example:EIP.
>      > But the configure is difficult,Now,I need help.Have people
>     successful?
>      >
>      > Lin Yong
>      >

Re: Users - Question:The Ofbiz3.1 deploy in Jboss4.0.4?

Daniel Kunkel
Hi

Just to throw out a crazy idea...  has anyone considered contacting the
developers of Minerva to see if they would sign an iCLA so OFBiz could
stay with it as we transition to Apache licensing?

On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 15:31 +0200, David Welton wrote:

> > server like JBoss. On this topic, to be honest with you, some of my
> > coworkers and I are not happy at all with the current trend OFBiz is
> > approaching: "the Geronimo jump", this is how we call it. OFBiz is/was
> > good as it is/was, easily configurable, easy to install, easy to start,
> > easy to debug, easy to *demonstrate*, no app server dependencies, easy
> > to scale, etc. Now, Geronimo will add a new set of rules and concerns,
> > some of them very specific, such as: app server configuration,
> > clustering, distributed session management, monitoring and control,
> > etc., nevertheless the classpath issues (read here nightmare) you may
> > encounter if you want to build your own "nested" app inside OFBiz. I
> > personally believe that this "jump" is more a political one than a
> > strategical one and I hope David and Co. here ;) will take the best
> > decision. As far as we (my team and I) are concerned, the first thing
> > we'll do when Geronimo+Ofbiz package will be ready, will be to ..
> > un-pack it, and use OFBiz standalone :) unless there are very strong
> > advantages in using Geronimo....
>
> The move to the ASF should impact things as little as possible, but
> unfortunately, there are some licensing issues involved.  One of the
> ways you can help ensure that OFBiz does what you want is to help out
> the developers.  David Jones commented on this a bit on the -dev list
> last month:
>
> http://lists.ofbiz.org/pipermail/dev/2006-March/010036.html
>
> I'm 99% sure that David and the other core guys wouldn't refuse help
> in attempting to pull out the necessary components from Geronimo, so
> that OFBiz doesn't need to be included 'inside' it.
>
> Ciao,
> --
> David N. Welton
>  - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/
>
> Linux, Open Source Consulting
>  - http://www.dedasys.com/

Daniel

*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-
Have a GREAT Day!

Daniel Kunkel           [hidden email]
BioWaves, LLC           http://www.BioWaves.com
14150 NE 20th St. Suite F1
Bellevue, WA 98007
800-734-3588    425-895-0050
http://www.Apartment-Pets.com  http://www.Focus-Illusion.com
http://www.Brain-Fun.com       http://www.ColorGlasses.com

Re: Users - Question:The Ofbiz3.1 deploy in Jboss4.0.4?

David E. Jones

We'd still have to solve the Carol LGPL problem.

As far as getting them to sign... I don't know who the original developers are, but I know it was maintained and extended by the JBoss guys for a while, and if it happens to be the guys that are still at JBoss and didn't take off to work on Geronimo, then based on previous interactions with them I'd say our chances are not only nil, but they might find it a nice notification of an opportunity to go after someone for using their software in a way they didn't intend and don't like...

-David