Users - RMI: CertificateExpiredException

Users - RMI: CertificateExpiredException

Anna  Schietz
hi,

it's me again.. :(
I didn't find out how to solve my SOAP problem so I decided to use RMI
instead.

Here's my code:
*******************
String RMI_URL = "rmi://127.0.0.1:1099/RMIDispatcher";
Object o = Naming.lookup(RMI_URL);
rd=(RemoteDispatcher)o;

Map context = new HashMap();
context.put("productId", "testid");
Map result=rd.runSync("remoteStoreEntitySyncDataRmi", context);
*******************

Namking.lookup() returns a RemoteDispatcherImpl_StubRemIdsp and I cast  this
to a RemoteDispatcher successfully. But after runSnyc() I get a
RemoteException:

RemoteException:error during JRMP connection establishment; nested exception
is:
javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException:
java.security.cert.CertificateExpiredException: NotAfter: Thu Oct 27
22:03:44 CEST 2005

Do you think this is really caused by an expired certificate? If yes: what
can I do about it? (I don't know where to find it, etc.; the certificate
that is used in the ecommerce app is valid until 2016 so there have to be at
least 2 different certificates).

Btw: I'm using svn 6670.

And here's the service setup:
<service name="getVariantCombinations" engine="java"
location="org.ofbiz.product.feature.ProductFeatureServices"
export="true" auth="false" invoke="getVariantCombinations">
   <attribute type="String" mode="IN" name="productId" optional="false"/>
   <attribute type="List" mode="OUT" name="featureCombinations"
optional="false"/>
</service>

<service name="remoteGetVariantCombinationsRmi" engine="rmi"
location="entity-sync-rmi" invoke="getVariantCombinations"
use-transaction="false" auth="false">
   <implements service="getVariantCombinations"/>
</service>

Re: Users - RMI: CertificateExpiredException

Anna  Schietz
Of course a "RemoteDispatcherImpl_Stub", that was just a little copy/paste
mistake, sorry about that.. ;)

Btw: is there another good solution except for SOAP or RMI? I can't debug
with IntelliJ Idea when using the RMIDispatcher and this slows me down quite
a bit....

This is an interesting issue for 2 reasons:

1. It is an expired certificate, and really needs to be updated in SVN.

2. It is a BOGUS certificate with a BOGUS signing (ie not by any real
cert authority, ie self signed) and should NOT be used in production
except perhaps on a private network. You should put in your own
_real_ certificate for security reasons.

On a side note, you can change the RMI config in the
serviceengine.xml file to not use encryption. Just look in the same
package that the encrypted RMI class is defined in and find the
compressed only class and stick it in the config...

-David

On Feb 20, 2006, at 5:52 AM, Anna Schietz wrote:

> hi,
>
> it's me again.. :(
> I didn't find out how to solve my SOAP problem so I decided to use RMI
> instead.
>

> Here's my code:
> *******************
> String RMI_URL = "rmi://127.0.0.1:1099/RMIDispatcher";
> Object o = Naming.lookup(RMI_URL);
> rd=(RemoteDispatcher)o;
>
> Map context = new HashMap();
> context.put("productId", "testid");
> Map result=rd.runSync("remoteStoreEntitySyncDataRmi", context);
> *******************
>
> Namking.lookup() returns a RemoteDispatcherImpl_StubRemIdsp and I
> cast  this
> to a RemoteDispatcher successfully. But after runSnyc() I get a
> RemoteException:
>
> RemoteException:error during JRMP connection establishment; nested
> exception
> is:
> javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException:
> java.security.cert.CertificateExpiredException: NotAfter: Thu Oct 27
> 22:03:44 CEST 2005
>
> Do you think this is really caused by an expired certificate? If
> yes: what
> can I do about it? (I don't know where to find it, etc.; the
> certificate
> that is used in the ecommerce app is valid until 2016 so there have
> to be at
> least 2 different certificates).
>
> Btw: I'm using svn 6670.
>

> And here's the service setup:
> <service name="getVariantCombinations" engine="java"
> location="org.ofbiz.product.feature.ProductFeatureServices"
> export="true" auth="false" invoke="getVariantCombinations">
>    <attribute type="String" mode="IN" name="productId"
> optional="false"/>
>    <attribute type="List" mode="OUT" name="featureCombinations"
> optional="false"/>
> </service>
>
> <service name="remoteGetVariantCombinationsRmi" engine="rmi"
> location="entity-sync-rmi" invoke="getVariantCombinations"
> use-transaction="false" auth="false">
>    <implements service="getVariantCombinations"/>
> </service>
>
> --
> Telefonieren Sie schon oder sparen Sie noch?
> NEU: GMX Phone_Flat http://www.gmx.net/de/go/telefonie

Re: Users - RMI: CertificateExpiredException

Brett
Anna,

We have seen the same problem before with expired certificates.  We
use RMI to communicate between servers.  We generated our own
certificate to fix the problem you are seeing.  As David mentioned,
you should really be using your own certificate or a valid signed
certificate.

Also, remember that the certificate needs to be available on the
client calling the RMI as well as the server receiving the RMI call.

Brett

On 2/20/06, David E. Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >

> > And here's the service setup:
> > <service name="getVariantCombinations" engine="java"
> > location="org.ofbiz.product.feature.ProductFeatureServices"
> > export="true" auth="false" invoke="getVariantCombinations">
> >    <attribute type="String" mode="IN" name="productId"
> > optional="false"/>
> >    <attribute type="List" mode="OUT" name="featureCombinations"
> > optional="false"/>
> > </service>
> >
> > <service name="remoteGetVariantCombinationsRmi" engine="rmi"
> > location="entity-sync-rmi" invoke="getVariantCombinations"
> > use-transaction="false" auth="false">
> >    <implements service="getVariantCombinations"/>
> > </service>
> >
> > --
> > Telefonieren Sie schon oder sparen Sie noch?
> > NEU: GMX Phone_Flat http://www.gmx.net/de/go/telefonie

Re: Users - RMI: CertificateExpiredException

Thanks for your replies. I use the compression socket factories for the time
being but when I have a little more time I will use SSL and my own
certificate. My project is far from going into production so I have some
other problems which I have to take care of first.

I hadn't realized that I can't call the RMI service directly (e.g.
"testRmi") and instead I have to call the service that is implemented by the
rmi service (e.g. "testSvc")....  but now it finally works!  :)

DSL-Aktion wegen großer Nachfrage bis 28.2.2006 verlängert:
GMX DSL-Flatrate 1 Jahr kostenlos* http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl