Users - Running in Java 5

Doug Hall-6
The documentation has stated to run OFBiz in Java 1.4_2, but the latest Java download for Mac OS X moved JAVA_HOME to Java 1.5. I am having problems starting tha app, but I have no idea how to track down the problem. Can anyone confirm that this will not run under the 1.5 JVM, and if so, how do I run it under 1.4_2?

Thanks,
Doug Hall

Re: Users - Running in Java 5

Jacopo Cappellato
Hi Doug,

no you cannot still run OFBiz with Java 1.5
You can simply edit the JAVA_HOME path in the startofbiz.sh file.

Jacopo

Doug Hall wrote:

> The documentation has stated to run OFBiz in Java 1.4_2, but the latest
> Java download for Mac OS X moved JAVA_HOME to Java 1.5. I am having
> problems starting tha app, but I have no idea how to track down the
> problem. Can anyone confirm that this will not run under the 1.5 JVM,
> and if so, how do I run it under 1.4_2?
>
> Thanks,
> Doug Hall

Re: Users - Running in Java 5

ofbiz works with sdk 1.4.2_11

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

click on Download J2SE SDK

installl this in a other place than the 1.5 location.

once installed you can directly modify the *.sh scripts to point to the
install location.

Doug Hall sent the following on 4/28/06 8:15 AM:

> The documentation has stated to run OFBiz in Java 1.4_2, but the latest
> Java
> download for Mac OS X moved JAVA_HOME to Java 1.5. I am having problems
> starting tha app, but I have no idea how to track down the problem. Can
> anyone confirm that this will not run under the 1.5 JVM, and if so, how
> do I
> run it under 1.4_2?
>
> Thanks,
> Doug Hall

Re: Users - Running in Java 5

David E. Jones

On OS X with the new update it still has the old 1.4 series JDK on the machine, so all you have to do is set the JAVA_HOME in the scripts (like ant and startofbiz.sh in the ofbiz home directory), or set the JAVA_HOME environment variable in your .bashrc or whatever init script you use for your terminal.

-David

BJ Freeman wrote:

> ofbiz works with sdk 1.4.2_11
>
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html
>
> click on Download J2SE SDK
>
> installl this in a other place than the 1.5 location.
>
> once installed you can directly modify the *.sh scripts to point to the
> install location.
>
> Doug Hall sent the following on 4/28/06 8:15 AM:
>> The documentation has stated to run OFBiz in Java 1.4_2, but the latest
>> Java
>> download for Mac OS X moved JAVA_HOME to Java 1.5. I am having problems
>> starting tha app, but I have no idea how to track down the problem. Can
>> anyone confirm that this will not run under the 1.5 JVM, and if so, how
>> do I
>> run it under 1.4_2?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Doug Hall

Re: Users - Running in Java 5

Manuel Desdin
hi doug,
it depends, there is a setting under  "/Applications/Utilities/Java/
J2SE 5.0/Java Preferences.app" (start this application) to make 1.4.2
the default java environment, so you don't have to care, but if you
only want to run ofbiz under 1.4.2 then you will have to set the
JAVA_HOME environment variable under the terminal in use or edit the
ant (for compiling) and startofbiz.sh scripts. for the 1.4.2
JAVA_HOME point it to /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/
Versions/1.4.2/Home.
best,
manuel desdin.

On Apr 28, 2006, at 5:15 PM, Doug Hall wrote:

> The documentation has stated to run OFBiz in Java 1.4_2, but the
> latest Java download for Mac OS X moved JAVA_HOME to Java 1.5. I am
> having problems starting tha app, but I have no idea how to track
> down the problem. Can anyone confirm that this will not run under
> the 1.5 JVM, and if so, how do I run it under 1.4_2?
>
> Thanks,
> Doug Hall

Re: Users - Running in Java 5

Manuel Desdin
hi si,
yes, of course.
best, md.

On 4/28/06, Manuel Desdin <[hidden email]> wrote:
it depends, there is a setting under  "/Applications/Utilities/Java/
J2SE 5.0/Java Preferences.app" (start this application) to make 1.4.2
the default java environment, so you don't have to care, but if you
only want to run ofbiz under 1.4.2 then you will have to set the
JAVA_HOME environment variable under the terminal in use or edit the
ant (for compiling) and startofbiz.sh scripts. for the 1.4.2
JAVA_HOME point it to /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/
Versions/1.4.2/Home.

I may be the only one, but changing that setting in the Java Preferences application has absolutely no effect. Never has. I changed it, logged out, then back in and did "java -version". It was still 1.5... However, changing the JAVA_HOME did the trick. It finished building and the install ran without a hitch. I still have some configuration problems, but I'll ask about them Monday.

Thanks for your help,
Doug

Re: Users - Running in Java 5

Manuel Desdin
hi doug,
there is trick: as an admin and using sudo go to /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions and change the CurrentJDK link to point to 1.4.2. i would recommend only changing the JAVA_HOME and JDK_HOME variables where necessary, as this is not a trick, but the way to do it!
regards,
manuel.

[...]

rossasaurus
Hi Doug,
To clarify, with OS X you can have Java 1.5 installed, as it is in OS X 10.4.5 or later, but you must also have version 1.4 installed.
in 10.4.5 or later, go to /Utilities/Java/JRTE 5.0 and run the Java Preferences App. It'll show which versions you have installed.
From what I understand, the correct version is automatically called.
So if it shows 1.4.2, for instance, that's all you need.

Ross
Jacopo Cappellato wrote