Users - SSL Setup

Adrian Grealish
As far as SSL setup with Ofbiz 3.0 I beleive I have two options:
1. keystore
2. Mod_jk to Apache

I wanted to see who has set up the keystore using keytool for a Verisign
certificate, I noticed someone had problems with the intermediate CA
certificate expiring before their certificate which required a new
certificate to be issued at cost and a new JDK to be installed. I also see
that Verisign has little support for this setup.

The other option is to configure SSL thru Apache using mod_jk. I've done
this on my last server (before the host ran away with it) and it worked
fine. Takes a little more effort.

My question is, what's the advantage with setting up keystore? It seems
simple if you get it working but the wiki has some (might I add very poorly
presented) information about it not working. What's that all about?  AND Why
does the udersun consulting setup guide say to do it this way but the wiki
does not? Why is the consulting arm providing more informaiton than the
"open source" division...be careful Ofbiz...people notice these things

Are there performance benefits with using Apache as the front end?

When are you planning a new release? not for the consulting arm for the open
source community remember collaboration is the way to success?

Why can't a user search the mailing lists? I tried codecomments.com but
their search doesn't work either.

As a side note: I thought the ofbiz the email lists were running on
Jcentric.com servers? they've completely disappeared now...I guess Clint
Dalton is not returning my money or customer database...

Bitter,
Adrian

Re: Users - SSL Setup

Si Chen-2

Adrian Grealish wrote:

> As far as SSL setup with Ofbiz 3.0 I beleive I have two options:
> 1. keystore
> 2. Mod_jk to Apache
>
> I wanted to see who has set up the keystore using keytool for a
> Verisign certificate, I noticed someone had problems with the
> intermediate CA certificate expiring before their certificate which
> required a new certificate to be issued at cost and a new JDK to be
> installed. I also see that Verisign has little support for this setup.
>
> The other option is to configure SSL thru Apache using mod_jk. I've
> done this on my last server (before the host ran away with it) and it
> worked fine. Takes a little more effort.
>
> My question is, what's the advantage with setting up keystore? It
> seems simple if you get it working but the wiki has some (might I add
> very poorly presented) information about it not working. What's that
> all about? AND Why does the udersun consulting setup guide say to do
> it this way but the wiki does not? Why is the consulting arm providing
> more informaiton than the "open source" division...be careful
> Ofbiz...people notice these things

It does work.

> Are there performance benefits with using Apache as the front end?

That's what everybody says, especially if you serve static content as well.

> When are you planning a new release? not for the consulting arm for
> the open source community remember collaboration is the way to success?

Here's the latest release http://www.sequoiaerp.org - the next one is
due early February.

> Why can't a user search the mailing lists? I tried codecomments.com
> but their search doesn't work either.
>
> As a side note: I thought the ofbiz the email lists were running on
> Jcentric.com servers? they've completely disappeared now...I guess
> Clint Dalton is not returning my money or customer database...
>
> Bitter,
> Adrian

Re: Users - SSL Setup

On Jan 6, 2006, at 12:22 PM, Adrian Grealish wrote:

> My question is, what's the advantage with setting up keystore? It
> seems simple if you get it working but the wiki has some (might I
> add very poorly presented) information about it not working. What's
> that all about?  AND Why does the udersun consulting setup guide
> say to do it this way but the wiki does not? Why is the consulting
> arm providing more informaiton than the "open source" division...be
> careful Ofbiz...people notice these things

Just to re-iterate this: Undersun Consutling is NOT the "consulting
arm" of OFBiz. It is an independent organization that does not own or
have any control over the open source project. It is run by some of
the same people that run OFBiz, but as certain people who run
consulting firms get more involved with OFBiz as core contributors
even in this position Undersun is not unique any more... and that is
a GOOD thing for project and users of OFBiz!

With the Wiki just keep in mind that it is a Wiki and while there are
lots of good things there, it is far more chaotic and less controlled
than OFBiz itself (just a place people can drop stuff, there is no
intention to make it the "official" documentation on any level,
official documentation resources are linked to from the Docs & Books
page on the ofbiz.org web site) and less controlled than certain
resources available for companies that offer services based on OFBiz
(like various things free and charged for from Undersun, Open Source
Strategies, etc).

Re: Users - SSL Setup

On Jan 6, 2006, at 12:22 PM, Adrian Grealish wrote:

> When are you planning a new release? not for the consulting arm for
> the open source community remember collaboration is the way to
> success?

You are correct that collaboration is the way to success, but it is
not true that official releases increase collaboration. In fact, they
_reduce_ collaboration. OFBiz is still maturing and the limited
resources are dedicated to development and maintenance of the
software by various groups with various different, but all
overlapping, priorities.

The point of the Sequoia project that Si Chen has put together is to
have a community that is more dedicated to maintaining point releases
with bug fixes and what not done there and back-patched from the open
source project. That's the idea anyway...

For OFBiz the only real purpose for a release is: marketing! Users of
OFBiz who take a release instead of keeping up to date during their
development process CAN NOT effectively collaborate with the
community or contribute to the project. They are using older code and
not updating to get work that others do nor can they base their
changes on the latest stuff, so it's just impossible to collaborate.
They can sometimes contribute, but generally not as effectively,
depending on what it is and how much it has changed since the date of
the revision they are using.

So, releases aren't a big priority for OFBiz right now. The project
has gone, and to some extent is still going, through some MAJOR
additions and until these settle down it doesn't make much sense and
isn't easy or cheap to do a release (including the necessary testing
and bug fixing, related marketing artifacts for new features and
announcements and what not, and so on). Creating a binary is easy,
that's not the issue, but just a binary isn't a very valuable release
and is guaranteed to have more problems than we'd like and so it does
more _harm_ than good...

We are working on becoming an Apache project, though I don't know if
that will go through or not. If it does we will most likely do a
release in a few months to push things along there, and mostly for
marketing purposes to help new people interested in the project get
an idea of what's up. If they are doing development though and
customizing OFBiz we will still encourage groups/people to NOT use
the releases, but rather to keep up with SVN until they are ready to
start their pre-production integration and user level testing.

> Why can't a user search the mailing lists? I tried codecomments.com
> but their search doesn't work either.

This simply isn't up yet after the mailing list move though it will
be up in the future.

As with all things: if it is important enough to you to do something
about it, then do so! That is how every single little detail in OFBiz
is handled...

Re: Users - SSL Setup

Oh, I forgot to mention something important here about the search:
just use the Google advanced search (or the advanced search of your
other favorite search engine) with the domain name "lists.ofbiz.org".
It's easy and still fairly effective:

http://www.google.com/advanced_search

-David

On Jan 6, 2006, at 2:09 PM, David E. Jones wrote:

> On Jan 6, 2006, at 12:22 PM, Adrian Grealish wrote:
>
>> My question is, what's the advantage with setting up keystore? It
>> seems simple if you get it working but the wiki has some (might I
>> add very poorly presented) information about it not working.
>> What's that all about?  AND Why does the udersun consulting setup
>> guide say to do it this way but the wiki does not? Why is the
>> consulting arm providing more informaiton than the "open source"
>> division...be careful Ofbiz...people notice these things
>
> Just to re-iterate this: Undersun Consutling is NOT the "consulting
> arm" of OFBiz. It is an independent organization that does not own
> or have any control over the open source project. It is run by some
> of the same people that run OFBiz, but as certain people who run
> consulting firms get more involved with OFBiz as core contributors
> even in this position Undersun is not unique any more... and that
> is a GOOD thing for project and users of OFBiz!
>
> With the Wiki just keep in mind that it is a Wiki and while there
> are lots of good things there, it is far more chaotic and less
> controlled than OFBiz itself (just a place people can drop stuff,
> there is no intention to make it the "official" documentation on
> any level, official documentation resources are linked to from the
> Docs & Books page on the ofbiz.org web site) and less controlled
> than certain resources available for companies that offer services
> based on OFBiz (like various things free and charged for from
> Undersun, Open Source Strategies, etc).

Re: Users - SSL Setup

Adrian Grealish
I understand, sorry didn't mean to be so biting...or start a flame war

I'm still a great supporter of ofbiz, I'm just looking from a different
angle.

Having real world release cycles brings out real world issues when running
Ofbiz in production. Things that can't be fixed when you're in dev cycle for
so long with no real ship date.These issues would get fixed and put back
into the main line for release if the user knew the next release was coming.
otherwise you get the custom versions running and not willing to contribute
their fixes because it gives a competitive advantage.

It's a good framework but it could be great if you have regular releases
that were production ready with upgrade features.

If not then I'm well within my rights to raises questions about the purpose
of your involement with undersun consulting.

what about test infrastructure? is there a complete or plans to have a
complete suite of tests that ensure the platform is running? the demo app
should be the basis for this. it should be a requirement to have a test
suite with every feature checked in.

All things I'm sure you're aware of but if you don't want to be completely
wiped off the map when google/amazon release their platform that is easy to
use and upgradable then this project will die.

Adrian

> [...]
>will go through or not. If it does we will most likely do a  release in a
>few months to push things along there, and mostly for  marketing purposes
>to help new people interested in the project get  an idea of what's up. If
>they are doing development though and  customizing OFBiz we will still
>encourage groups/people to NOT use  the releases, but rather to keep up
>with SVN until they are ready to  start their pre-production integration
>and user level testing.
>
>>Why can't a user search the mailing lists? I tried codecomments.com  but
>>their search doesn't work either.
>
>This simply isn't up yet after the mailing list move though it will  be up
>in the future.
>
>As with all things: if it is important enough to you to do something  about
>it, then do so! That is how every single little detail in OFBiz  is

Re: Users - SSL Setup

Jacopo Cappellato
Adrian Grealish wrote:
> All things I'm sure you're aware of but if you don't want to be completely
> wiped off the map when google/amazon release their platform that is easy to
> use and upgradable then this project will die.

Wow... what a positive attitude... Happy New Year :-)

Re: Users - SSL Setup

Chris made some good comments in his earlier reply to this, so that
would be a good thing to read through all the way for anyway watching
this. Because of that I'll leave out most of the detail and drop
right to the core issue: MONEY!

One thing that Chris mentioned in his message and that anyone knows
who has worked with this sort of software is that it is incredibly
complicated and therefore expensive to create and maintain. It's not
a little bit expensive, it is really expensive. OFBiz is no
different. We have put a LOT of effort into reducing the technical
complexity of the business level implementation artifacts, and that
makes development and maintenance for OFBiz much much cheaper, but
still we are working on a budget that is very roughly around 1-2% of
the typical development budget of an ERP system, and that is the
current "budget" which represents over 10 times as many resources as
went into the project even a couple of years ago.

What's interesting about this "budget" or the resources coming into
the project is that they are 100% donations from users of the
software. That's right: 100%. The Open For Business Project has no
money nor any source of income. The contributions that come into the
project come primarily from small consulting firms who serve mostly
medium to large size clients (which a number of smaller clients, but
the percentage of income from them is pretty low).

So far no one is getting rich here (that I know of... if anyone is I
could use a little of that...). If I were I sure as hell wouldn't
even be reading this mailing list, let alone responding to messages.
Because I'm interested in this sort of thing I might have started the
project and gotten into this even if I didn't need the money, but I
certainly wouldn't be spending so much time on it, and of course that
is hypothetical. The fact is I've been barely scraping by for the
last few years trying to keep the project going and running a small
consulting company based on it in order to survive, and before this
last year (2005) that meant going deeper and deeper into debt every
year. This year wasn't spectacular, but at least I managed to knock
off a small percentage of my debt instead of increasing it...

I appreciate the feedback on the apparent size of Undersun, but the
fact is the company has no money and no employees, just 2 partners.
When we do larger projects we sub-contract when we can, and when that
doesn't work out we partner with another company or often just
support an internal development group for the client. In many cases
we can't even win a contract for a larger client alone and have to
partner with a larger and more trusted and trust-worthy partner. This
is not highly profitable stuff... if you want to earn the bucks you
got to work the hours. If you want lots of bucks you have to work
until you can't form a sentence and then rest until you can and
repeat the cycle. Chances are many people reading this know how that
is...

If Amazon or Google wanted to compete with us in our game THEY WOULD
WIPE US OUT IN A FEW MONTHS! While I don't know their exact figures,
I can probably safely say that they each spend quite a bit more on IT
in one quarter than has been spent on OFBiz contributions since the
project began. It wouldn't be hard to compete with us...

So what are we all doing here and how do we expect this to continue
and be a success? OFBiz is the ONLY significant business application
level open source project that is a true collaborative effort and not
owned or run by a central strong company. It is the only one of this
size that has licensing terms as generous as the MIT license (and
related licenses) offer. If I'm wrong on this I'm sure someone will
let me know pretty quick (assuming people read all of this tripe I
write... ;) ). If that's what you want, this is the place. If you
want something that you can use "out of the box" and that is
developed spending all of the money that is necessary to do
everything that makes it easy to use, well, I'm not sure where to
look for a perfect solution, but there are a lot of commercial (and
some commercial/open source) projects that might be closer to that
than OFBiz...

Anyway, I've written pretty much all of this many times and for those
who might be interested there is more detail and some history on my
blog on the Undersun site at:

https://www.undersunconsulting.com/ofbizdoc/control/MainBlog?
contentContentId=BLOGROOTJONES&currentMenuItemName=BLOGROOTJONES

On that link, BTW, sorry about the security warning, our certificate
expired and it hasn't made it to the top of the to-do list yet.

I appreciate everyones help and feedback on OFBiz! Whether I could
make more money doing something else or not is hard to say, but I'm
certainly enjoying being involved with this and seeing something move
forward like this that I consider to be very important in our world
today (technically, economically, and even politically and socially
in many way...). I certainly couldn't do this myself, and I hope you
never catch me implying that I am even trying or even think that I
could... if I could it would probably mean that I had enough money to
spend a few decades on vacation, well and that I had a heck of a lot
more mental capacity than my poor brain can currently eke out... ;)

-David

On Jan 6, 2006, at 6:04 PM, Adrian Grealish wrote:

> [...]
>> to help new people interested in the project get  an idea of
>> what's up. If
>> they are doing development though and  customizing OFBiz we will
>> still
>> encourage groups/people to NOT use  the releases, but rather to
>> keep up
>> with SVN until they are ready to  start their pre-production
>> integration
>> and user level testing.
>>
>>> Why can't a user search the mailing lists? I tried
>>> codecomments.com  but
>>> their search doesn't work either.
>>
>> This simply isn't up yet after the mailing list move though it
>> will  be up
>> in the future.
>>
>> As with all things: if it is important enough to you to do
>> something  about
>> it, then do so! That is how every single little detail in OFBiz  is

Re: Users - SSL Setup

David E. Jones

That all said (from my last message), there is still another side of
the coin: the poor users of the software!

Really honestly OFBiz is very much in a growth phase and much of it
is still maturing. That doesn't make it easy to use, and I feel your
pain as I _very_ often with things were cleaner and further along. I
know from lots of conversations that many people in the OFBiz
community are trying to do the impossible for a company that has lots
of needs and not much budget and in some cases the only way they can
do it on that budget without sacrificing a lot of business
differentiating and enabling functionality is to base it on a project
like OFBiz. I think that's the only reason OFBiz has survived and
thrived to the extent it has. Because really the project has a lot of
flaws and a lot of missing functionality that would be really nice to
have in there, and does not come from the traditional source of trust
(a large, financially stable corporation), and so if it wasn't so
unique in the solutions it offers that would otherwise be impossible,
it would be dead.

In other words, a lot of people are quite frustrated because even if
it makes it possible and easier, it doesn't make it easy and it is
still expensive and really hard. I don't know if this is your
situation Adrian, but if it is know that you are in good company.

I think this is why the big boys haven't tried to shut down OFBiz yet
(to my knowledge anyway). They know what a 100 million dollar check
(or contract) looks like and can't imagine a bunch of middle-class
nobodies ever competing effectively with them without such a check or
contract. The good thing is that now OFBiz is widely based enough
that it would be somewhat expensive to legally destroy it (via
destroying the contributors or cutting off contributions to it).
Hopefully in the near future it will become even more difficult...
Right now even if Andy and I were totally out of the picture I think
the project could and would continue just fine. It might temporarily
slow things down a bit, but there is nothing in OFBiz that other
people don't have access to and/or knowledge about.

-David

On Jan 7, 2006, at 3:10 AM, David E. Jones wrote:

> [...]
>>> release in a
>>> few months to push things along there, and mostly for  marketing
>>> purposes
>>> to help new people interested in the project get  an idea of
>>> what's up. If
>>> they are doing development though and  customizing OFBiz we will
>>> still
>>> encourage groups/people to NOT use  the releases, but rather to
>>> keep up
>>> with SVN until they are ready to  start their pre-production
>>> integration
>>> and user level testing.

>>> This simply isn't up yet after the mailing list move though it
>>> will  be up
>>> in the future.
>>>
>>> As with all things: if it is important enough to you to do
>>> something  about
>>> it, then do so! That is how every single little detail in OFBiz  is

Re: Users - SSL Setup

Daniel Kunkel
A few more points I think worth mentioning...

It seems to me we are all saying pretty much saying the same thing...
We all want OFBiz to be further along and easier to use with more
features and better documentation, and more debugged official
releases... for free.

OFBiz is not there yet, but it's moving that way fast.

We all want David to do more, give more, help more, instruct more... He
can't until he has more totally trusted truly dedicated supporters to
whom he can delegate the work. He constantly has to decide between
working on something that pays in the immediate sense like consulting,
or working on something that doesn't, namely pushing OFBiz. It may even
be that a part of him doesn't want the project to get bigger because
that translates into even more people wanting something from him.

It all boils down to the need for more people to:

Ask not what OFBiz can do for you, but what you can do for OFBiz.

(p.s.  David, could you fix the USPS Shipping bugs I found.)