Users - Sequoia mirror

Charles Johnson-4
Could some kind soul provide me with a working url from which i can
download the latest Sequoia? The sourceforge mirrors seem to be going crazy.

CJ

Re: Users - Sequoia mirror

Si Chen-2
Could it be because we're changing the project name to "opentaps"?  Try
it again using the new project name:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/opentaps/

Si

Charles Johnson wrote:

>Could some kind soul provide me with a working url from which i can
>download the latest Sequoia? The sourceforge mirrors seem to be going crazy.
>
>CJ

Re: Users - Sequoia mirror

Adrian Crum
I liked the Sequoia name better.

Opentaps sounds like a beer product to me. ;^)

Si Chen wrote:

> Could it be because we're changing the project name to "opentaps"?  Try
> it again using the new project name:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/opentaps/
>
> Si
>
> Charles Johnson wrote:
>

>>Could some kind soul provide me with a working url from which i can
>>download the latest Sequoia? The sourceforge mirrors seem to be going crazy.
>>
>>CJ

Re: Users - Sequoia mirror

Charles Johnson-4
Thanks Si, i'm sorted out now. I think it was a problem with just one or
two mirrors. Changed to another and i got your latest version with
interest. Thank you.

Am i right in thinking that Sequoia/Opentaps is a fork of Ofbiz that
aims for stability over feature-richness? Apologies if that's
over-simplifying.

CJ

Si Chen wrote:

>Could it be because we're changing the project name to "opentaps"?  Try
>it again using the new project name:
>http://sourceforge.net/projects/opentaps/
>
>Si
>
>Charles Johnson wrote:
>

>>Could some kind soul provide me with a working url from which i can
>>download the latest Sequoia? The sourceforge mirrors seem to be going crazy.
>>
>>CJ

Re: Users - Sequoia mirror

Si Chen-2
Actually this is not correct.  It is no a fork at all, nor have we
removed any features.  Instead, it is a release we maintain and deliver
commercial support around.  You benefit from the QA we do for commercial
support.

Please understand, though, that this does not necessarily mean we have
fixed every possible problem in the code.  Instead, we have made it
satisfactory to the people we support.  There are many unsupported
features which we may not even be aware of, much less QA.  Hopefully,
though, over time we would be doing more commercial support and
expanding the number of features we cover, so more features would be
supported in the open source version as well.

Si

Charles Johnson wrote:

>Thanks Si, i'm sorted out now. I think it was a problem with just one or
>two mirrors. Changed to another and i got your latest version with
>interest. Thank you.
>
>Am i right in thinking that Sequoia/Opentaps is a fork of Ofbiz that
>aims for stability over feature-richness? Apologies if that's
>over-simplifying.
>
>CJ
>
>Si Chen wrote:
>

>>Could it be because we're changing the project name to "opentaps"?  Try
>>it again using the new project name:
>>http://sourceforge.net/projects/opentaps/
>>
>>Si
>>
>>Charles Johnson wrote:
>>

>>>Could some kind soul provide me with a working url from which i can
>>>download the latest Sequoia? The sourceforge mirrors seem to be going crazy.
>>>
>>>CJ

Re: Users - Sequoia mirror

On Feb 7, 2006, at 4:22 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:

> I liked the Sequoia name better.
>
> Opentaps sounds like a beer product to me. ;^)

Yeah... it kind of does...

Perhaps this was the intention? Like the old open source saying of:
free as in freedom, not free as in beer. In this case, it is free as
in beer... ;)

-David

> Si Chen wrote:
>
>> Could it be because we're changing the project name to
>> "opentaps"?  Try
>> it again using the new project name:
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/opentaps/
>>
>> Si
>>
>> Charles Johnson wrote:
>>

>>> Could some kind soul provide me with a working url from which i can
>>> download the latest Sequoia? The sourceforge mirrors seem to be
>>> going crazy.
>>>
>>> CJ

Re: Users - Sequoia mirror

Charles Johnson-4

Actually this is not correct. It is no a fork at all, nor have we
removed any features.

No, i didn't mean features  had  been removed. As far  as the 'fork' is
concerned this, i  suppose, is a matter of definition. In what sense is
it *not* a fork - i thought independent development was occurring?

CJ
Si Chen wrote:

>Actually this is not correct.  It is no a fork at all, nor have we
>removed any features.  Instead, it is a release we maintain and deliver
>commercial support around.  You benefit from the QA we do for commercial
>support.
>
>Please understand, though, that this does not necessarily mean we have
>fixed every possible problem in the code.  Instead, we have made it
>satisfactory to the people we support.  There are many unsupported
>features which we may not even be aware of, much less QA.  Hopefully,
>though, over time we would be doing more commercial support and
>expanding the number of features we cover, so more features would be
>supported in the open source version as well.
>
>Si
>
>Charles Johnson wrote:
>

>>Thanks Si, i'm sorted out now. I think it was a problem with just one or
>>two mirrors. Changed to another and i got your latest version with
>>interest. Thank you.
>>
>>Am i right in thinking that Sequoia/Opentaps is a fork of Ofbiz that
>>aims for stability over feature-richness? Apologies if that's
>>over-simplifying.
>>
>>CJ
>>
>>Si Chen wrote:
>>

>>>Could it be because we're changing the project name to "opentaps"?  Try
>>>it again using the new project name:
>>>http://sourceforge.net/projects/opentaps/
>>>
>>>Si

Re: Users - Sequoia mirror

Adrian Crum
It might help to understand WHY Sequoia was set up.

Since OFBiz is constantly under development, there are daily revisions. One
thing that is missing is a "release" of OFBiz. This has been brought up by a
number of users. The principle developers have indicated they don't have the
time or resources to test and build releases.

Si Chen stepped forward and created a site where he takes a particular SVN
version that he feels is suitable for a release candidate and offers it for
download. As he has mentioned, there is a "value add" in that the Sequoia
version has had some testing and is considered fairly stable "out of the box."

I hope this explanation helps.

Charles Johnson wrote:

> Actually this is not correct. It is no a fork at all, nor have we
> removed any features.
>

> No, i didn't mean features  had  been removed. As far  as the 'fork' is
> concerned this, i  suppose, is a matter of definition. In what sense is
> it *not* a fork - i thought independent development was occurring?
>
> CJ
> Si Chen wrote:
>

>>Actually this is not correct.  It is no a fork at all, nor have we
>>removed any features.  Instead, it is a release we maintain and deliver
>>commercial support around.  You benefit from the QA we do for commercial
>>support.
>>
>>Please understand, though, that this does not necessarily mean we have
>>fixed every possible problem in the code.  Instead, we have made it
>>satisfactory to the people we support.  There are many unsupported
>>features which we may not even be aware of, much less QA.  Hopefully,
>>though, over time we would be doing more commercial support and
>>expanding the number of features we cover, so more features would be
>>supported in the open source version as well.
>>
>>Si
>>
>>Charles Johnson wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks Si, i'm sorted out now. I think it was a problem with just one or
>>>two mirrors. Changed to another and i got your latest version with
>>>interest. Thank you.
>>>
>>>Am i right in thinking that Sequoia/Opentaps is a fork of Ofbiz that
>>>aims for stability over feature-richness? Apologies if that's
>>>over-simplifying.
>>>
>>>CJ

Re: Users - Sequoia mirror

Charles Johnson wrote:

>Actually this is not correct. It is no a fork at all, nor have we
>removed any features.
>

>No, i didn't mean features  had  been removed. As far  as the 'fork' is
>concerned this, i  suppose, is a matter of definition. In what sense is
>it *not* a fork - i thought independent development was occurring?

What, may I ask, gave you that impression?

>CJ
>Si Chen wrote:
>

>>Actually this is not correct.  It is no a fork at all, nor have we
>>removed any features.  Instead, it is a release we maintain and deliver
>>commercial support around.  You benefit from the QA we do for commercial
>>support.
>>
>>Please understand, though, that this does not necessarily mean we have
>>fixed every possible problem in the code.  Instead, we have made it
>>satisfactory to the people we support.  There are many unsupported
>>features which we may not even be aware of, much less QA.  Hopefully,
>>though, over time we would be doing more commercial support and
>>expanding the number of features we cover, so more features would be
>>supported in the open source version as well.
>>
>>Si
>>
>>Charles Johnson wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks Si, i'm sorted out now. I think it was a problem with just one or
>>>two mirrors. Changed to another and i got your latest version with
>>>interest. Thank you.
>>>
>>>Am i right in thinking that Sequoia/Opentaps is a fork of Ofbiz that
>>>aims for stability over feature-richness? Apologies if that's
>>>over-simplifying.
>>>
>>>CJ

Re: Users - Sequoia mirror

David,

Beer was honestly one thing that I had not thought of.  The logo
(http://www.opentaps.org/images/opentaps_logo.png) actually implies it
should be pronounced as "op:ent:aps", and I was rather proud of myself
for coming up with an acronynm with many possible pronounciations and
variants.

For better or for worse, though, I have a funny feeling that your "In
this case, it is free as  in beer" will end up being rather popular.  :)

Si

David E. Jones wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2006, at 4:22 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>> I liked the Sequoia name better.
>>
>> Opentaps sounds like a beer product to me. ;^)
>

> Yeah... it kind of does...
>
> Perhaps this was the intention? Like the old open source saying of:
> free as in freedom, not free as in beer. In this case, it is free as
> in beer... ;)
>
> -David
>

>> Si Chen wrote:
>>
>>> Could it be because we're changing the project name to  "opentaps"?
>>> Try
>>> it again using the new project name:
>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/opentaps/
>>>
>>> Si

Re: Users - Sequoia mirror

David E. Jones

I see what you're getting at with the name (Open Enterprise
Applications). I guess it's probably a little late for this, but 2
'p's might have made that easier to pick out.

Anyway, it's good. I like a name that can mean multiple things... ;)

-David

On Feb 8, 2006, at 10:05 AM, Si Chen wrote:

> David,
>
> Beer was honestly one thing that I had not thought of.  The logo
> (http://www.opentaps.org/images/opentaps_logo.png) actually implies it
> should be pronounced as "op:ent:aps", and I was rather proud of myself
> for coming up with an acronynm with many possible pronounciations and
> variants.
>
> For better or for worse, though, I have a funny feeling that your "In
> this case, it is free as  in beer" will end up being rather
> popular.  :)
>
> Si
>
> David E. Jones wrote:
>

>> On Feb 7, 2006, at 4:22 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>>
>>> I liked the Sequoia name better.
>>>
>>> Opentaps sounds like a beer product to me. ;^)
>>

>> Yeah... it kind of does...
>>
>> Perhaps this was the intention? Like the old open source saying of:
>> free as in freedom, not free as in beer. In this case, it is free as
>> in beer... ;)
>>
>> -David

Re: Users - Sequoia mirror

Charles Johnson-4
>>What, may I ask, gave you that impression?

Well i suppose i thought you were working on stabilising it
independently of the main branch. From what you're saying i get the idea
the relationship between Sequoia (Opentaps) and OfBiz, might be more
akin to that between Debian stable and unstable?

CJ