Users - Upgrade difficulties ...

Ian Gilbert-2
Sorry,  Path should be http://www.ethicalshopper.co.uk/~ian/upgradeApril06/NoDemoData.png

Cheers

We have spent the afternoon trying to do a test upgrade from version 3.1 to a more modern release.
 We have upgraded the database and have copied a dump up to this.  We then commented out the demo
data files in 'ofbiz-containers' and ran 'ant', 'ant run' and 'ant run-install'.  whilst the
management screens begin ok and then have a set of errors (more about that later), the ecommerce
page fails with the following display.  My question is wether the demo data (not the seed data)
contains any essential information?

The screen shot at  .

Best wishes

--
Ian Gilbert
www.ethicalshopper.net

WHAT DO YOU DRINK AT WORK?
We can supply your organisation with high quality fair trade tea and
coffee.  Discounts are available for regular orders.  Contact us for more
details.

[...]

Re: Users - Upgrade difficulties ...

David E. Jones

Quick note: you can install the seed data only by running "ant run-install-seed". There are other ways to do this as well, see the Basic Production Setup Guide for more details.

For the rest: are you running from a fresh database or is this a new database you are setting up? Either way, in order to run ecommerce you _must_ have a store and related information setup. This can be from the demo data, modified demo data, or input manually (and painfully...) through the webapps. The webapps are great for maintaining the information, but initial setup is usually easier by putting together a set of XML import data files based on the demo data files.

Another option is to do what the Basic Production Setup Guide recommends and import the demo data and modify it as needed or desired.

-David

Ian Gilbert wrote:

> Sorry,  Path should be http://www.ethicalshopper.co.uk/~ian/upgradeApril06/NoDemoData.png
>

> Cheers
>

> We have spent the afternoon trying to do a test upgrade from version 3.1 to a more modern release.
>  We have upgraded the database and have copied a dump up to this.  We then commented out the demo
> data files in 'ofbiz-containers' and ran 'ant', 'ant run' and 'ant run-install'.  whilst the
> management screens begin ok and then have a set of errors (more about that later), the ecommerce
> page fails with the following display.  My question is wether the demo data (not the seed data)
> contains any essential information?
>
> The screen shot at  .
>
> Best wishes

Re: Users - Upgrade difficulties ...

Ian Gilbert-2
Thanks for this information.  It's helpful.  We have upgraded our db fine and are currently
looking at the best way of upgrading the application.  This is made more interesting by the fact
that the system administration functions are now being handled by someone with a lot more
experience than me and we have had some frank conversations about our current situation.

For the last couple of days I have been trying to massage the output from xml data export (in the
webtools application) into files to be loaded at startup.  I have been successful with this in the
past and have isolated the entities which need to be loaded up.  However I have run into problems
with transaction errors and the data has not loaded.  I have been trying to get this data into
similar format to the 'demo' files which I have replaced on the grounds that this should then give
us a working mirror of the live site.  I have included only the product, shipping and party
information leaving our trade histories for later on when I have worked out how to upgrade the
core data.

The seed data loads without problem but the main body doesn't.  I have attached an edited logfile
to this mail (I have removed the instances of customer specific data that I found and replaced it
with a holding tag) and, if anyone has a few minutes I wonder if they could give me the benefit of
any insights into obvious errors or techniques that might work with this?

I am working now against the 7151 weekly build.  Very strangely it loads the default data set even
though these files have been deleted.  Is there any way these could have been stored?  I am very
confused by that and feel sure that it is a mistake I have made but cannot find this.  The logfile
from ant run-install clearly shows the new files being loaded (and rejected) so am at a bit of a
loss.

Thanks and very best wishes

Ian

ofbiz.zip (24K) Download Attachment

Re: Users - Upgrade difficulties ...

David E. Jones

Ian,

This is a fairly common problem when exporting, doctoring, and importing data.

General tip: when reading error messages start at the beginning and read down to find the details.

The errors here are with foreign key violations. Well, I didn't read them all but the few I looked at were.

There are various tools for getting around this. You could make sure all of your data is in the right order, but that's a REAL pain... So, I'd recommend going into webtools in Create/Update database page and turn off all primary keys, then import the data, then turn the primary keys back on.

When you turn them on again if there are any pk violations it will give you errors about that when you enable the "offended" pk, and in most database it will tell you the offending data. These can then be manually cleaned up, and really need to be, and then you're good to go...

Another option is to import with the "dummy fks" option. This will find violated foreign keys and create dummy records to satisfy them. I would _ONLY_ recommend this if you know there are no foreign key violations in the data, like when you are moving data from one system to another. If you are moving partial data: watch out! It's easy to forget dependencies, so the turning off the fks and turning them back on is often the better way to go...

-David