Users - Usage of Forums

G Venkata Phanindra
Hi ......
           I am strugling hard from last couple of days to customize forums for my Application and  i am not quite sucessfull........I want to know is there any user sucessfully able to Customize forums or Blogs in ofbiz..........
Please Reply me as i need to take a descision on this.......
Thanks and Waitting for reply.........
Phanindra..........

With Regards,

G Venkata Phanindra.
Mobile :9849852989.

Jiyo cricket on Yahoo! India cricket

Re: Users - Usage of Forums

David E. Jones

The forum and content manager based content code in ecommerce has been pretty much abandoned as far as I know. No one has worked on it for a year or two.

What this means from the use of OFBiz perspective is that chances are it won't work out of the box. Some development time will be required to clean it up and customize it to your needs.

The hard truth with this and many things is that you only have a few options:

1. have someone on your team do this
2. pay someone to do this
3. try to get someone to do it for free

Obviously these have different benefits and problems and which one you choose will depends on the resources you have available and how important this is to you in a specific time frame.

There has been more interest in some of this recently, but I'm not aware of anyone with firm plans to invest more in it.

-David

G Venkata Phanindra wrote:

> Hi ......
>            I am strugling hard from last couple of days to customize
> forums for my Application and  i am not quite sucessfull........I want
> to know is there any user sucessfully able to Customize forums or Blogs
> in ofbiz..........
> Please Reply me as i need to take a descision on this.......
> Thanks and Waitting for reply.........
> Phanindra..........
>

> With Regards,
>
> G Venkata Phanindra.
> Mobile :9849852989.

> Jiyo cricket on Yahoo! India cricket
> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail/in/mailcricket/*http://in.sports.yahoo.com/cricket/>
> Yahoo! Messenger Mobile
> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail/in/mailmobilemessenger/*http://in.mobile.yahoo.com/new/messenger/>
> Stay in touch with your buddies all the time.

Re: Users - Usage of Forums

G Venkata Phanindra
Hi ..Jones ..
         I want to take it ahead myself and so i request you to provide me with documentations for working on it....
        The Basic concerned i came to know from the forum is that the problem with Forums in ofbiz is while transmitting it from jpublish to screens and i request the team to provide me information in this aspect.
         I request some member in the team convient with the Forums and Content management system to give any tips to come out with these problem and i also request the one who was sucessfully able to solve these kind of issue to give me some feed back.

Thanks in advance
looking for reply from team members
 Phani

G Venkata Phanindra wrote:

> Hi ......
> I am strugling hard from last couple of days to customize
> forums for my Application and i am not quite sucessfull........I want
> to know is there any user sucessfully able to Customize forums or Blogs
> in ofbiz..........
> Please Reply me as i need to take a descision on this.......
> Thanks and Waitting for reply.........
> Phanindra..........
>

> With Regards,
>
> G Venkata Phanindra.
> Mobile :9849852989.

> Jiyo cricket on Yahoo! India cricket
>
> Yahoo! Messenger Mobile
>
> Stay in touch with your buddies all the time.

With Regards,

G Venkata Phanindra.
Mobile :9849852989.

Jiyo cricket on Yahoo! India cricket

Re: Users - Usage of Forums

Blessing, Jeffrey J
Just a quick question for the group:  Is the reason that Forums and other Content Management in OFBiz is not used because most sites put Apache "in front" of OFBiz?  If so, then there are a plethora of CMS systems that run on Apache that can handle content (Plone, PHPnuke, etc.).  As long as Apache is configured to forward Java requests to the embedded Tomcat in OFBiz, the two types of systems can co-reside nicely, I would think.  Is this the preferred configuration of many ofbiz installations?

________________________________

        G Venkata Phanindra wrote:
        > Hi ......
        > I am strugling hard from last couple of days to customize
        > forums for my Application and i am not quite sucessfull........I want
        > to know is there any user sucessfully able to Customize forums or Blogs
        > in ofbiz..........
        > Please Reply me as i need to take a descision on this.......
        > Thanks and Waitting for reply.........
        > Phanindra..........
        >
        >
        > With Regards,
        >
        > G Venkata Phanindra.
        > Mobile :9849852989.

        > Jiyo cricket on Yahoo! India cricket
        >
        > Yahoo! Messenger Mobile
        >
        > Stay in touch with your buddies all the time.

With Regards,

G Venkata Phanindra.
Mobile :9849852989.

winmail.dat (8K) Download Attachment

Re: Users - Usage of Forums

Andrew Sykes
Jeffrey,

I think your observation may be partially correct.

Most OFBiz development is driven by what clients will actually fund.
Like you say, given the plethora of CMS systems out there it's perhaps
not surprising that this is a little quieter than some areas of the
code.

However, I along with many others would much rather use OFBiz for CMS
than some of the other solutions out there. You have to remember that an
integrated CMS would offer a far greater degree of flexibility in
integration than one of the many (mostly php) offerings out there.
Having tried on occasion to modify some of these I find that beyond a
certain degree of flexibility these solutions generally get rather in-
extensible.

It's worth remembering also that an integrated CMS would afford all the
benefits offered by the entity engine and the webtools application
amongst others, so it has by no means been abandoned, it's just a little
more difficult to fund.
--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>

Re: Users - Usage of Forums

Phani,

It sounds like you've decided to with option #3. I wish you luck with that.

Please keep in mind that the simple reality is that it is often more difficult and time consuming to teach someone to implement some thing than to do that thing on their own given a sufficient experience gap between the people involved.

Since you addressed this to me I'll answer for myself: I really don't have any choice in this question. I do not have the time or money to free up time to help you with this or work on this right now.

Still, I wish you the best of luck on it. It may that others will have more availability to help out.

A tip for increased chances of getting a response: research everything you can on your own and then ask _specific_ questions. The more specific and the more based on your research into OFBiz (reading docs, etc) the better your chances of getting a response, from me or anyone else.

-David