Users - a general comment on list etiquette

Users - a general comment on list etiquette

Si Chen-2
Hello everybody.

I suppose some of the recent list postings are bothering me enough that
I should just write a quick note about it.

I've been involved with OFBiz for almost three years now, and I've been
able to get help on a lot of things from others on this list.  I've
really liked the fact that it is a professional and serious list where
people are solving real problems.  Just as importantly, I've enjoyed
being part of this community where people are considerate and polite to
each other.

Unfortunately, in the real world, this is not always the case, and I'm
bothered by some recent comments which are simply rude and insulting.
It's OK if you find problems with the program or even with us, but
please keep your comments civil.  Please understand that like any
software, commercial or open source, it may or may not meet your needs.
If it doesn't meet your needs, feel free to go try another product.
There is certainly no point in venting your frustration on others on our
mailing lists.

As for those of us in the community, I'd advise that you treat rude and
insulting remarks pretty much the same way as you'd treat them from
someone on the street.  Just ignore them and keep walking.  Please do
not get upset by what they say or waste your valuable time engaging them
in pointless debates.  We should all be too busy being successful with
OFBiz and, in the process, making the project better.

Si

Re: Users - a general comment on list etiquette

Andrew Sykes
Si,

Yes, absolutely.

It does no-one any good.

Let's hope that's an end to it.

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 06:48 -0800, Si Chen wrote:

> Hello everybody.
>
> I suppose some of the recent list postings are bothering me enough that
> I should just write a quick note about it.
>
> I've been involved with OFBiz for almost three years now, and I've been
> able to get help on a lot of things from others on this list.  I've
> really liked the fact that it is a professional and serious list where
> people are solving real problems.  Just as importantly, I've enjoyed
> being part of this community where people are considerate and polite to
> each other.
>
> Unfortunately, in the real world, this is not always the case, and I'm
> bothered by some recent comments which are simply rude and insulting.
> It's OK if you find problems with the program or even with us, but
> please keep your comments civil.  Please understand that like any
> software, commercial or open source, it may or may not meet your needs.
> If it doesn't meet your needs, feel free to go try another product.
> There is certainly no point in venting your frustration on others on our
> mailing lists.
>
> As for those of us in the community, I'd advise that you treat rude and
> insulting remarks pretty much the same way as you'd treat them from
> someone on the street.  Just ignore them and keep walking.  Please do
> not get upset by what they say or waste your valuable time engaging them
> in pointless debates.  We should all be too busy being successful with
> OFBiz and, in the process, making the project better.
>
> Si

Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
Sykes Development Ltd
http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Users - <@ofbizUrl>

Andrew Sykes
Hi,

I'm looking at the email screens in the ecommerce component, there seems
to be a number of entries like this...
<set field="baseEcommerceSecureUrl"
value="${baseSecureUrl}/ecommerce/control/"/>

Is it possible to remove this hard coded reference to "ecommerce" (like
the <@ofbizUrl> tag does) and how would one go about it
--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
Sykes Development Ltd
http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: Users - a general comment on list etiquette

Ian Gilbert
Agreed 100%

We've been using Ofbiz, in production, for more years than I can now
accurately remember.  It gets better and better.  We don't interact that
much although we do try and stay up to date.  We're VERY happy with the,
very considerable, help we've recieved from David, Andy, Si and others.
We hope one day to contribute back more regularly.  We've had our problems
as a business but they are seldom to do with the technology.

Very best wishes to all.

Ian

On Tue, February 7, 2006 15:01, Andrew Sykes wrote:

> Si,
>

> Yes, absolutely.
>

> It does no-one any good.
>

> Let's hope that's an end to it.
>

> On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 06:48 -0800, Si Chen wrote:
>
>> Hello everybody.
>>

>> I suppose some of the recent list postings are bothering me enough that
>>  I should just write a quick note about it.
>>

>> I've been involved with OFBiz for almost three years now, and I've been
>>  able to get help on a lot of things from others on this list.  I've
>> really liked the fact that it is a professional and serious list where
>> people are solving real problems.  Just as importantly, I've enjoyed
>> being part of this community where people are considerate and polite to
>>  each other.
>>
>> Unfortunately, in the real world, this is not always the case, and I'm
>> bothered by some recent comments which are simply rude and insulting.
>> It's OK if you find problems with the program or even with us, but
>> please keep your comments civil.  Please understand that like any
>> software, commercial or open source, it may or may not meet your needs.
>>  If it doesn't meet your needs, feel free to go try another product.
>> There is certainly no point in venting your frustration on others on our
>>  mailing lists.
>>
>> As for those of us in the community, I'd advise that you treat rude and
>>  insulting remarks pretty much the same way as you'd treat them from
>> someone on the street.  Just ignore them and keep walking.  Please do
>> not get upset by what they say or waste your valuable time engaging
>> them in pointless debates.  We should all be too busy being successful
>> with OFBiz and, in the process, making the project better.
>>

>> Si

> Kind Regards
> Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
> Sykes Development Ltd
> http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: Users - a general comment on list etiquette

Vinay Agarwal
I agree 100%. I am a newbie here (about 2 months or so) and I know how
frustrating things can get. But that is no reason to be rude to anyone
especially when most members here are so helpful.

Any practical application that has so much functionality built into it is
not easy to get started with. Part of the reason I am still here is that one
can actually get help here when needed. Let us not forget that this is a
community group and generally we get as much from it as we put into it.

I would like to thank all the developers who have put so much effort in
making this happen.

Regards,
Vinay Agarwal

Re: Users - a general comment on list etiquette

> I agree 100%. I am a newbie here (about 2 months or so) and I know how
> frustrating things can get. But that is no reason to be rude to anyone
> especially when most members here are so helpful.
>
> Any practical application that has so much functionality built into it is
> not easy to get started with. Part of the reason I am still here is that one
> can actually get help here when needed.

>Let us not forget that this is a
> community group and generally we get as much from it as we put into it.

That's the point, yes really !

Jacques