Users - 'hiding' error messages?

davidnwelton
Is it possible to hide error messages?  For example, I'm testing out
the open travel system, and clicking 'reservations' doesn't work.

I have a theory that the bigger an error message people see, the more
scared they get - a nice, polite, controlled "we're sorry, but there
is a problem with the site, we hope to fix it as soon as possible"
doesn't make people happy, but seeing two pages of java backtrace
scares them quite a bit:-) "Oh no, what's wrong?!".

The idea would be to put in place some sort of user-facing system that
provides a nice, short message that doesn't talk about what's going on
in the sources, and maybe even alerts the site admin.

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Users - 'hiding' error messages?

Jacopo Cappellato
Hi David,

the error message is formatted by the following ftl template:

framework/common/webcommon/includes/messages.ftl

Jacopo

David Welton wrote:

> Is it possible to hide error messages?  For example, I'm testing out
> the open travel system, and clicking 'reservations' doesn't work.
>
> I have a theory that the bigger an error message people see, the more
> scared they get - a nice, polite, controlled "we're sorry, but there
> is a problem with the site, we hope to fix it as soon as possible"
> doesn't make people happy, but seeing two pages of java backtrace
> scares them quite a bit:-) "Oh no, what's wrong?!".
>
> The idea would be to put in place some sort of user-facing system that
> provides a nice, short message that doesn't talk about what's going on
> in the sources, and maybe even alerts the site admin.
>
> --
> David N. Welton
>  - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/
>
> Linux, Open Source Consulting
>  - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Users - 'hiding' error messages?

davidnwelton
> Hi David,
>
> the error message is formatted by the following ftl template:
>
> framework/common/webcommon/includes/messages.ftl

Aha... thanks!   I have some other ideas about things that could be
done to improve things... I will put them in a JIRA ticket.