[VOTE] Approve Release Test Snapshot (aka 4.0.0 TS3)

[VOTE] Approve Release Test Snapshot (aka 4.0.0 TS3)

David E Jones-2
This is the vote to approve the 4.0.0 TS3 "release", which is really
a "Test Snapshot" to test the release process and legal artifacts and
such. The files we are voting on are the third pass, now using the
"TS3" suffix as this is the second pass and the TS instead of RC to
clarify that this is a Test Snapshot more than a traditional Release
Candidate (which has clearly been confusing for quite a few people).

There were a couple of minor things that needed fixing so we're doing
another pass and restarting the vote. Hopefully this is the last pass
and we'll be good to go on this one. Thanks to everyone for feedback
on the others to get things cleaned up and such.

To reiterate, the main things we need to review for this test
snapshot are:

1. PGP signature (.asc) and MD5 checksum (.md5) file validity
2. Proper license headers, NOTICE, and LICENSE files
3. Basic unarchive and run success

This is not meant to be a release in the traditional sense with a
branch, testing cycles, and so on, and is not meant to be a reference
point or used by end-users. It is an important part of the incubation
process for OFBiz at the ASF and after we approach a test snapshot
release we will submit it to the larger incubator community and the
incubator board for review.

Please note that everyone is welcome to vote, but only PPMC members
have "binding" votes. We'll leave this open until at least the end of
day on Tuesday to give people the some time to review it.

For more details on this release, including links to files to
download, see the Confluence page at:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/wAE

Note that the best place to download the files is from the
people.apache.org links there.

Re: [VOTE] Approve Release Test Snapshot (aka 4.0.0 TS3)

Scott Gray
Hi David

The md5 for the zip is still marked TS2

Regards
Scott

David E Jones wrote:

> This is the vote to approve the 4.0.0 TS3 "release", which is really a
> "Test Snapshot" to test the release process and legal artifacts and
> such. The files we are voting on are the third pass, now using the
> "TS3" suffix as this is the second pass and the TS instead of RC to
> clarify that this is a Test Snapshot more than a traditional Release
> Candidate (which has clearly been confusing for quite a few people).
>
> There were a couple of minor things that needed fixing so we're doing
> another pass and restarting the vote. Hopefully this is the last pass
> and we'll be good to go on this one. Thanks to everyone for feedback
> on the others to get things cleaned up and such.
>
> To reiterate, the main things we need to review for this test snapshot
> are:
>
> 1. PGP signature (.asc) and MD5 checksum (.md5) file validity
> 2. Proper license headers, NOTICE, and LICENSE files
> 3. Basic unarchive and run success
>
> This is not meant to be a release in the traditional sense with a
> branch, testing cycles, and so on, and is not meant to be a reference
> point or used by end-users. It is an important part of the incubation
> process for OFBiz at the ASF and after we approach a test snapshot
> release we will submit it to the larger incubator community and the
> incubator board for review.
>
> Please note that everyone is welcome to vote, but only PPMC members
> have "binding" votes. We'll leave this open until at least the end of
> day on Tuesday to give people the some time to review it.
>
> For more details on this release, including links to files to
> download, see the Confluence page at:
>
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/wAE
>
> Note that the best place to download the files is from the
> people.apache.org links there.

Re: [VOTE] Approve Release Test Snapshot (aka 4.0.0 TS3)

David E Jones-2

Thanks Scott, that should be fixed now. It was just a bad link on the
Confluence page, the file should be on people.apache.org just fine.

-David

On Sep 18, 2006, at 4:03 AM, Scott Gray wrote:

> Hi David
>
> The md5 for the zip is still marked TS2
>
> Regards
> Scott
>
> David E Jones wrote:
>> This is the vote to approve the 4.0.0 TS3 "release", which is
>> really a "Test Snapshot" to test the release process and legal
>> artifacts and such. The files we are voting on are the third pass,
>> now using the "TS3" suffix as this is the second pass and the TS
>> instead of RC to clarify that this is a Test Snapshot more than a
>> traditional Release Candidate (which has clearly been confusing
>> for quite a few people).
>>
>> There were a couple of minor things that needed fixing so we're
>> doing another pass and restarting the vote. Hopefully this is the
>> last pass and we'll be good to go on this one. Thanks to everyone
>> for feedback on the others to get things cleaned up and such.
>>
>> To reiterate, the main things we need to review for this test
>> snapshot are:
>>
>> 1. PGP signature (.asc) and MD5 checksum (.md5) file validity
>> 2. Proper license headers, NOTICE, and LICENSE files
>> 3. Basic unarchive and run success
>>
>> This is not meant to be a release in the traditional sense with a
>> branch, testing cycles, and so on, and is not meant to be a
>> reference point or used by end-users. It is an important part of
>> the incubation process for OFBiz at the ASF and after we approach
>> a test snapshot release we will submit it to the larger incubator
>> community and the incubator board for review.
>>
>> Please note that everyone is welcome to vote, but only PPMC
>> members have "binding" votes. We'll leave this open until at least
>> the end of day on Tuesday to give people the some time to review it.
>>
>> For more details on this release, including links to files to
>> download, see the Confluence page at:
>>
>> http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/wAE
>>
>> Note that the best place to download the files is from the
>> people.apache.org links there.
>>
>> -David

Re: [VOTE] Approve Release Test Snapshot (aka 4.0.0 TS3)

Hi David,

I just tested Windows version (zip)

From: "David E Jones" <[hidden email]>
> 1. PGP signature (.asc) and MD5 checksum (.md5) file validity
OK
> 2. Proper license headers, NOTICE, and LICENSE files
Seems OK at first glance
> 3. Basic unarchive and run success
Unarchived and ran ok

Re: [VOTE] Approve Release Test Snapshot (aka 4.0.0 TS3)

+1

David E Jones wrote:

> This is the vote to approve the 4.0.0 TS3 "release", which is really a
> "Test Snapshot" to test the release process and legal artifacts and
> such. The files we are voting on are the third pass, now using the "TS3"
> suffix as this is the second pass and the TS instead of RC to clarify
> that this is a Test Snapshot more than a traditional Release Candidate
> (which has clearly been confusing for quite a few people).
>
> There were a couple of minor things that needed fixing so we're doing
> another pass and restarting the vote. Hopefully this is the last pass
> and we'll be good to go on this one. Thanks to everyone for feedback on
> the others to get things cleaned up and such.
>
> To reiterate, the main things we need to review for this test snapshot are:
>
> 1. PGP signature (.asc) and MD5 checksum (.md5) file validity
> 2. Proper license headers, NOTICE, and LICENSE files
> 3. Basic unarchive and run success
>
> This is not meant to be a release in the traditional sense with a
> branch, testing cycles, and so on, and is not meant to be a reference
> point or used by end-users. It is an important part of the incubation
> process for OFBiz at the ASF and after we approach a test snapshot
> release we will submit it to the larger incubator community and the
> incubator board for review.
>
> Please note that everyone is welcome to vote, but only PPMC members have
> "binding" votes. We'll leave this open until at least the end of day on
> Tuesday to give people the some time to review it.
>
> For more details on this release, including links to files to download,
> see the Confluence page at:
>
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/wAE
>
> Note that the best place to download the files is from the
> people.apache.org links there.

Re: [VOTE] Approve Release Test Snapshot (aka 4.0.0 TS3)

Andrew Sykes
David,
+1

Tested with...
(uname -a)
Linux SykesDevelopmentLtd 2.6.12-1.1381_FC3 #1 Fri Oct 21 03:46:55 EDT
2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

and
(java -version)
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_06-b03)

1. PGP signature (.asc) and MD5 checksum (.md5) file validity
OK

2. Proper license headers, NOTICE, and LICENSE files
Looks OK

3. Basic unarchive and run success
Worked with no intervention beyond "ant run-install run"

A brief browse unearthed no obvious problems...
--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

On Sep 18, 2006, at 11:53 PM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> +1
>
> David E Jones wrote:
>> This is the vote to approve the 4.0.0 TS3 "release", which is
>> really a "Test Snapshot" to test the release process and legal
>> artifacts and such. The files we are voting on are the third pass,
>> now using the "TS3" suffix as this is the second pass and the TS
>> instead of RC to clarify that this is a Test Snapshot more than a
>> traditional Release Candidate (which has clearly been confusing
>> for quite a few people).
>> There were a couple of minor things that needed fixing so we're
>> doing another pass and restarting the vote. Hopefully this is the
>> last pass and we'll be good to go on this one. Thanks to everyone
>> for feedback on the others to get things cleaned up and such.
>> To reiterate, the main things we need to review for this test
>> snapshot are:
>> 1. PGP signature (.asc) and MD5 checksum (.md5) file validity
>> 2. Proper license headers, NOTICE, and LICENSE files
>> 3. Basic unarchive and run success
>> This is not meant to be a release in the traditional sense with a
>> branch, testing cycles, and so on, and is not meant to be a
>> reference point or used by end-users. It is an important part of
>> the incubation process for OFBiz at the ASF and after we approach
>> a test snapshot release we will submit it to the larger incubator
>> community and the incubator board for review.
>> Please note that everyone is welcome to vote, but only PPMC
>> members have "binding" votes. We'll leave this open until at least
>> the end of day on Tuesday to give people the some time to review it.
>> For more details on this release, including links to files to
>> download, see the Confluence page at:
>> http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/wAE
>> Note that the best place to download the files is from the
>> people.apache.org links there.
>> -David

Re: [VOTE] Approve Release Test Snapshot (aka 4.0.0 TS3)

David E Jones-2

+1 [binding]

I'm not sure if my vote is necessary or even kosher since I sent out
the vote proposal and perhaps mine is implied?

Anyway, if would be great if we could get some more review of the
this release test snapshot. This is one way we can demonstrate the
real strength and size of the OFBiz community. It is also a way we
can identify problems and fix them as necessary and thereby move
toward a very good release after we graduate, which is important as
that release will likely get a lot of attention from outside the
current OFBiz community.

-David

On Sep 18, 2006, at 3:56 AM, David E Jones wrote:

> This is the vote to approve the 4.0.0 TS3 "release", which is
> really a "Test Snapshot" to test the release process and legal
> artifacts and such. The files we are voting on are the third pass,
> now using the "TS3" suffix as this is the second pass and the TS
> instead of RC to clarify that this is a Test Snapshot more than a
> traditional Release Candidate (which has clearly been confusing for
> quite a few people).
>
> There were a couple of minor things that needed fixing so we're
> doing another pass and restarting the vote. Hopefully this is the
> last pass and we'll be good to go on this one. Thanks to everyone
> for feedback on the others to get things cleaned up and such.
>
> To reiterate, the main things we need to review for this test
> snapshot are:
>
> 1. PGP signature (.asc) and MD5 checksum (.md5) file validity
> 2. Proper license headers, NOTICE, and LICENSE files
> 3. Basic unarchive and run success
>
> This is not meant to be a release in the traditional sense with a
> branch, testing cycles, and so on, and is not meant to be a
> reference point or used by end-users. It is an important part of
> the incubation process for OFBiz at the ASF and after we approach a
> test snapshot release we will submit it to the larger incubator
> community and the incubator board for review.
>
> Please note that everyone is welcome to vote, but only PPMC members
> have "binding" votes. We'll leave this open until at least the end
> of day on Tuesday to give people the some time to review it.
>
> For more details on this release, including links to files to
> download, see the Confluence page at:
>
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/wAE
>
> Note that the best place to download the files is from the
> people.apache.org links there.

Re: [VOTE] Approve Release Test Snapshot (aka 4.0.0 TS3)

mrisaliti@libero.it
Hi David,

I agree with you infact I'm working to solve some old-issues still active in
OFBIZ (like issue OFBIZ-192).

Thanks
Marco

> I'm not sure if my vote is necessary or even kosher since I sent out  the
> vote proposal and perhaps mine is implied?
>
> Anyway, if would be great if we could get some more review of the  this
> release test snapshot. This is one way we can demonstrate the  real
> strength and size of the OFBiz community. It is also a way we  can
> identify problems and fix them as necessary and thereby move  toward a
> very good release after we graduate, which is important as  that release
> will likely get a lot of attention from outside the  current OFBiz
> community.
>
> -David
>

> On Sep 18, 2006, at 3:56 AM, David E Jones wrote:
>
>> This is the vote to approve the 4.0.0 TS3 "release", which is  really a
>> "Test Snapshot" to test the release process and legal  artifacts and
>> such. The files we are voting on are the third pass,  now using the "TS3"
>> suffix as this is the second pass and the TS  instead of RC to clarify
>> that this is a Test Snapshot more than a  traditional Release Candidate
>> (which has clearly been confusing for  quite a few people).
>>
>> There were a couple of minor things that needed fixing so we're  doing
>> another pass and restarting the vote. Hopefully this is the  last pass
>> and we'll be good to go on this one. Thanks to everyone  for feedback on
>> the others to get things cleaned up and such.
>>
>> To reiterate, the main things we need to review for this test  snapshot
>> are:
>>
>> 1. PGP signature (.asc) and MD5 checksum (.md5) file validity
>> 2. Proper license headers, NOTICE, and LICENSE files
>> 3. Basic unarchive and run success
>>
>> This is not meant to be a release in the traditional sense with a
>> branch, testing cycles, and so on, and is not meant to be a  reference
>> point or used by end-users. It is an important part of  the incubation
>> process for OFBiz at the ASF and after we approach a  test snapshot
>> release we will submit it to the larger incubator  community and the
>> incubator board for review.
>>
>> Please note that everyone is welcome to vote, but only PPMC members  have
>> "binding" votes. We'll leave this open until at least the end  of day on
>> Tuesday to give people the some time to review it.
>>
>> For more details on this release, including links to files to  download,
>> see the Confluence page at:
>>
>> http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/wAE
>>
>> Note that the best place to download the files is from the
>> people.apache.org links there.
>>
>> -David

Re: [VOTE] Approve Release Test Snapshot (aka 4.0.0 TS3)

mrisaliti@libero.it
Hi David,

I agree with you, this is why I'm working to solve some old-issues still
active in
OFBIZ (like issue OFBIZ-192).

Thanks
Marco

On Sep 19, 2006, at 12:54 PM, Marco Libero wrote:

> I agree with you infact I'm working to solve some old-issues still
> active in OFBIZ (like issue OFBIZ-192).

This is a great thing to be working on Marco. I'd like to reiterate a
small distinction though between what we are testing with the test
snapshot, and what you're doing with these issues and such. The issue
resolution is great for the release we do after graduation, but not
totally relevant (unless they are show-stopper problems that block
basic compile and run) to what we are trying to test the release
process, which we need in order to graduate from the incubator.

So, did you mean this to be a +1 or -1 for the test snapshot?

Re: [VOTE] Approve Release Test Snapshot (aka 4.0.0 TS3)

mrisaliti@libero.it
+1 for TS3.

In the same moment I'm working on the release in sense of used by end-users
(solving issues).

Thanks
Marco

> On Sep 19, 2006, at 12:54 PM, Marco Libero wrote:
>
>> I agree with you infact I'm working to solve some old-issues still
>> active in OFBIZ (like issue OFBIZ-192).
>
> This is a great thing to be working on Marco. I'd like to reiterate a
> small distinction though between what we are testing with the test
> snapshot, and what you're doing with these issues and such. The issue
> resolution is great for the release we do after graduation, but not
> totally relevant (unless they are show-stopper problems that block  basic
> compile and run) to what we are trying to test the release  process, which
> we need in order to graduate from the incubator.
>
> So, did you mean this to be a +1 or -1 for the test snapshot?

Important fix that should be included into a new release WAS Re: [VOTE] Approve Release Test Snapshot (aka 4.0.0 TS3)

David,

I too hope to see more feedback (i.e. votes) on the release proposal.
I think that in an official release we should at least include the mod I
did into 447424 because without it the order creation could fail :-(

Jacopo

David E Jones wrote:

> +1 [binding]
>
> I'm not sure if my vote is necessary or even kosher since I sent out the
> vote proposal and perhaps mine is implied?
>
> Anyway, if would be great if we could get some more review of the this
> release test snapshot. This is one way we can demonstrate the real
> strength and size of the OFBiz community. It is also a way we can
> identify problems and fix them as necessary and thereby move toward a
> very good release after we graduate, which is important as that release
> will likely get a lot of attention from outside the current OFBiz
> community.
>
> -David
>

> On Sep 18, 2006, at 3:56 AM, David E Jones wrote:
>
>> This is the vote to approve the 4.0.0 TS3 "release", which is really a
>> "Test Snapshot" to test the release process and legal artifacts and
>> such. The files we are voting on are the third pass, now using the
>> "TS3" suffix as this is the second pass and the TS instead of RC to
>> clarify that this is a Test Snapshot more than a traditional Release
>> Candidate (which has clearly been confusing for quite a few people).
>>
>> There were a couple of minor things that needed fixing so we're doing
>> another pass and restarting the vote. Hopefully this is the last pass
>> and we'll be good to go on this one. Thanks to everyone for feedback
>> on the others to get things cleaned up and such.
>>
>> To reiterate, the main things we need to review for this test snapshot
>> are:
>>
>> 1. PGP signature (.asc) and MD5 checksum (.md5) file validity
>> 2. Proper license headers, NOTICE, and LICENSE files
>> 3. Basic unarchive and run success
>>
>> This is not meant to be a release in the traditional sense with a
>> branch, testing cycles, and so on, and is not meant to be a reference
>> point or used by end-users. It is an important part of the incubation
>> process for OFBiz at the ASF and after we approach a test snapshot
>> release we will submit it to the larger incubator community and the
>> incubator board for review.
>>
>> Please note that everyone is welcome to vote, but only PPMC members
>> have "binding" votes. We'll leave this open until at least the end of
>> day on Tuesday to give people the some time to review it.
>>
>> For more details on this release, including links to files to
>> download, see the Confluence page at:
>>
>> http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/wAE
>>
>> Note that the best place to download the files is from the
>> people.apache.org links there.
>>
>> -David

Re: Important fix that should be included into a new release WAS Re: [VOTE] Approve Release Test Snapshot (aka 4.0.0 TS3)

David E Jones-2

On Sep 19, 2006, at 1:38 PM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> I too hope to see more feedback (i.e. votes) on the release proposal.
> I think that in an official release we should at least include the
> mod I did into 447424 because without it the order creation could
> fail :-(

the release process that has been discussed and that I think we are
planning on.

I guess there is less clarity about this than I thought, so I'll copy
those comments below.

Real releases, like the one we plan to do shortly after graduation
from incubation, will have a branch and such. Whether we will do a
branch at the release candidate phase, or even do a release candidate
phase for real releases, is yet to be decided. The nature of OFBiz is
quite a bit different from many open source projects and for reasons
that have been discussed in probably thousands of messages over the
years doing a "feature freeze" or anything like that in order to move
to a "stable" release seems now to be more than the OFBiz community
has resources to do properly.

Because of that the plan is to have community driven releases. In
other words, we do announce a release intention and ask people to
test things and if there aren't any major show-stoppers, we do a
branch and a release based on that branch. Once we do a branch like
this a sub-community develops that can collaborate on making that
branch a good stable artifact set over time as bug fixes only are
back-ported and issues specific to that branch are fixed over time.

Re: [VOTE] Approve Release Test Snapshot (aka 4.0.0 TS3)

David E Jones-2

Jacques,

Just to clarify: is this a +1?

-David

On Sep 18, 2006, at 12:16 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> I just tested Windows version (zip)
>
> From: "David E Jones" <[hidden email]>
>> 1. PGP signature (.asc) and MD5 checksum (.md5) file validity
> OK
>> 2. Proper license headers, NOTICE, and LICENSE files
> Seems OK at first glance
>> 3. Basic unarchive and run success
> Unarchived and ran ok

Re: [VOTE] Approve Release Test Snapshot (aka 4.0.0 TS3)

+1 of course, all points below seem right to me. And I agree that we have to go forward...

From: "David E Jones" <[hidden email]>

> Jacques,
>
> Just to clarify: is this a +1?
>
> -David
>

> On Sep 18, 2006, at 12:16 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>
> > Hi David,
> >
> > I just tested Windows version (zip)
> >
> > From: "David E Jones" <[hidden email]>
> >> 1. PGP signature (.asc) and MD5 checksum (.md5) file validity
> > OK
> >> 2. Proper license headers, NOTICE, and LICENSE files
> > Seems OK at first glance
> >> 3. Basic unarchive and run success
> > Unarchived and ran ok
> >
> > Jacques

Re: [VOTE] Approve Release Test Snapshot (aka 4.0.0 TS3)

Hans Bakker
+1

On Wednesday 20 September 2006 01:31, David E Jones wrote:

> +1 [binding]
>
> I'm not sure if my vote is necessary or even kosher since I sent out
> the vote proposal and perhaps mine is implied?
>
> Anyway, if would be great if we could get some more review of the
> this release test snapshot. This is one way we can demonstrate the
> real strength and size of the OFBiz community. It is also a way we
> can identify problems and fix them as necessary and thereby move
> toward a very good release after we graduate, which is important as
> that release will likely get a lot of attention from outside the
> current OFBiz community.
>
> -David
>
> On Sep 18, 2006, at 3:56 AM, David E Jones wrote:
> > This is the vote to approve the 4.0.0 TS3 "release", which is
> > really a "Test Snapshot" to test the release process and legal
> > artifacts and such. The files we are voting on are the third pass,
> > now using the "TS3" suffix as this is the second pass and the TS
> > instead of RC to clarify that this is a Test Snapshot more than a
> > traditional Release Candidate (which has clearly been confusing for
> > quite a few people).
> >
> > There were a couple of minor things that needed fixing so we're
> > doing another pass and restarting the vote. Hopefully this is the
> > last pass and we'll be good to go on this one. Thanks to everyone
> > for feedback on the others to get things cleaned up and such.
> >
> > To reiterate, the main things we need to review for this test
> > snapshot are:
> >
> > 1. PGP signature (.asc) and MD5 checksum (.md5) file validity
> > 2. Proper license headers, NOTICE, and LICENSE files
> > 3. Basic unarchive and run success
> >
> > This is not meant to be a release in the traditional sense with a
> > branch, testing cycles, and so on, and is not meant to be a
> > reference point or used by end-users. It is an important part of
> > the incubation process for OFBiz at the ASF and after we approach a
> > test snapshot release we will submit it to the larger incubator
> > community and the incubator board for review.
> >
> > Please note that everyone is welcome to vote, but only PPMC members
> > have "binding" votes. We'll leave this open until at least the end
> > of day on Tuesday to give people the some time to review it.
> >
> > For more details on this release, including links to files to
> > download, see the Confluence page at:
> >
> > http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/wAE
> >
> > Note that the best place to download the files is from the
> > people.apache.org links there.
> >
> > -David
Hans Bakker
ANT Websystems Co.,Ltd (http://www.antwebsystems.com)

If you want to verify that this message really originates from
from the above person, download the public key from:
http://www.antwebsystems.com/hbakkerAntwebsystems.asc