What does "OOTB front-end accessibility" mean to you?

RE: What does "OOTB front-end accessibility" mean to you?

Andrew Ballantine
Anil,

That sounds great. Can you possibly point us to a ISO image that we could
download? Or better still outline the method for generating the Live CD. I
think we have an opportunity for a sub-project to keep such a CD available
for new prospects to download or order on CD for a small fee. I would be
happy to burn and post DVD/CDs in my locality (UK) upon request from the
OFBiz website. I would hope we might get some other volunteers for other
countries.

Kind regards,

Andrew Ballantine.

PS I have been thinking of using gmail to reduce the amount of spam I get.
Is gmail any better than the rest and could you send me an invitation to
enrol?

Re: What does "OOTB front-end accessibility" mean to you?

I worked for a french bank 4 years ago.
A manager told me that for them the average cost of a person was around 750 euros (US$ 1000) by day (including all charges).
This day I discovered that as an independant I was not so expansive at all (I was well paid on these days, banks have the money you
know ;o)
This also one of the reasons why managers are always trying to reduce the number of people they work with.
Most of their own value is evaluated upper on this simple criterion (with recurrence to the top of course)
workDone divided by numberOfPeopleNeedeed
Life of managers is not so complicated finally

Sorry for this digression but this time I was not the starter ;o)

Jacques

Re: What does "OOTB front-end accessibility" mean to you?

Ian McNulty
Sounds extremely good to me.

My major client is currently complaining about a £60 bill for travelling
300 miles to recce their current installation, so I'm wondering how much
more of this I can afford to be involved in.

I'd certainly be interested in joining a group heading in the direction
we've been discussing. But I'm not sure how much of a contribution I
could make.

I barely have a handle on much of OFBiz at the moment.

In my ignorance I assumed Andrew's list of 'flavours' was what it was
already supposed to do - give or take a few semi-functional features
along the way - which really ought to be no big deal to sort - for those
who understand such things.

As someone who has also been involved in computing for more than 30
years, I'd have to agree with the guy from MS who said that Open Source
is a cancer rotting everything it touches.

As a scientist who believes we see further only because we have licence
to stand on the shoulders of great men, I know he's got it completely
upside down.

Ian

Andrew Ballantine wrote:

> I think what David is saying is the OFBiz open source project can only
> support and develop the framework in the direction that the major
> contributors wish to go. And I fully understand that.
>
> However this discussion has been most useful to me in firming up my vision
> for OFBiz. I also find it encouraging that I am not entirely alone in what I
> think we could do with OFBiz.
>
> As an individual that has worked in the computer industry for over 30 years,
> I do not have the financial muscle to do a project speculatively. However I
> do think that we have an opportunity here to form a group within the OFBiz
> community to further this cause and share the benefits with the OFBiz
> project.
>
> I am currently trying to get my major client to agree to start a development
> project based on OFBiz and once that happens I can contribute a whole lot
> more, but even if that doesn't go through I am very keen to set up an OFBiz
> consultancy in the UK, but I don't want to do it on my own.
>
> Some of you have commented that you would not like to see a fork and I most
> definitely agree. There is no technical requirement for a fork. What I
> envisage is a sub-project that works on the usability, presentation, sample
> data, OOTB functionality and installability issues that we have been
> discussing. The under-lying framework would be OFBiz. If different vertical
> markets require different procedures within the framework, then I would
> suggest that conditional code in the framework be used to handle different
> "Flavours" of use. The advantage of this is that anyone modifying the
> Framework code can see what effect their changes might have on a different
> flavour of the framework.
>
> Some obvious flavours might be:
> USA accounting and taxation
> EU accounting and VAT with various country flavours
> Manufacturing
> Direct Sales
> Retail shop
> eCommerce
> These flavours would be set at install time in the configuration files, but
> interpreted at run time.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Andrew Ballantine.

mcnultyMEDIA
60 Birkdale Gardens
Durham
DH1 2UL

t: +44 (0)191 384 4736
e: [hidden email]
w: www.mcnultymedia.co.uk
This communication is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) named above and is confidential. Any form of distribution, copying, discussion or use of this communication, its contents, or any information contained herein without prior consent is strictly prohibited. If you receive this communication in error, please notify the sender by email or by telephone on +44 (0)191 384 4736

This email has been checked for viruses, however, we cannot accept any liability sustained as a result of software viruses and would recommend that you carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.

Ian McNulty wrote:
>As someone who has also been involved in computing for more than 30
>years, I'd have to agree with the guy from MS who said that Open Source
>is a cancer rotting everything it touches.

Ian,

I sincerely hope this is NOT what you meant to say, especially in an open
source mailing list.

If anything MS is the rotting cancer that has afflicted the computer
industry.

Open source and the business model that surrounds it is quite difficult for
the new people to grasp. It certainly took me a while.

The whole point about open source is that if what you've got doesn't
entirely do what you want, you can modify it to suit and if you contribute
it back to the community, the community will help maintain it for you.
However one cannot always expect an open source project to jump to new
contributor's requests.

Contribution and discussion of ideas is also of benefit to the community and
your contribution of ideas is welcome, certainly by me.

I would hope you might clarify your statement.

Kind regards,

Andrew Ballantine.

Andrew Ballantine wrote:
> I think what David is saying is the OFBiz open source project can only
> support and develop the framework in the direction that the major
> contributors wish to go. And I fully understand that.
>
> However this discussion has been most useful to me in firming up my vision
> for OFBiz. I also find it encouraging that I am not entirely alone in what
> think we could do with OFBiz.
>
> As an individual that has worked in the computer industry for over 30
years,
> I do not have the financial muscle to do a project speculatively. However
> do think that we have an opportunity here to form a group within the OFBiz
> community to further this cause and share the benefits with the OFBiz
> project.
>
> I am currently trying to get my major client to agree to start a
development
> project based on OFBiz and once that happens I can contribute a whole lot
> more, but even if that doesn't go through I am very keen to set up an
OFBiz
> consultancy in the UK, but I don't want to do it on my own.
>
> Some of you have commented that you would not like to see a fork and I
most
> definitely agree. There is no technical requirement for a fork. What I
> envisage is a sub-project that works on the usability, presentation,
sample
> data, OOTB functionality and installability issues that we have been
> discussing. The under-lying framework would be OFBiz. If different
vertical

> markets require different procedures within the framework, then I would
> suggest that conditional code in the framework be used to handle different
> "Flavours" of use. The advantage of this is that anyone modifying the
> Framework code can see what effect their changes might have on a different
> flavour of the framework.
>
> Some obvious flavours might be:
> USA accounting and taxation
> EU accounting and VAT with various country flavours
> Manufacturing
> Direct Sales
> Retail shop
> eCommerce
> These flavours would be set at install time in the configuration files,
but

> interpreted at run time.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Andrew Ballantine.

------------------
mcnultyMEDIA
60 Birkdale Gardens
Durham
DH1 2UL

t: +44 (0)191 384 4736
e: [hidden email]
w: www.mcnultymedia.co.uk
==================
This communication is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s)
named above and is confidential. Any form of distribution, copying,
discussion or use of this communication, its contents, or any information
contained herein without prior consent is strictly prohibited. If you
receive this communication in error, please notify the sender by email or by
telephone on +44 (0)191 384 4736

liability sustained as a result of software viruses and would recommend that
you carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.
13:34

Re: What does "OOTB front-end accessibility" mean to you?

From: "Andrew Ballantine" <[hidden email]>

[...snip...]

> Some of you have commented that you would not like to see a fork and I most
> definitely agree. There is no technical requirement for a fork. What I
> envisage is a sub-project that works on the usability, presentation, sample
> data, OOTB functionality and installability issues that we have been
> discussing. The under-lying framework would be OFBiz. If different vertical
> markets require different procedures within the framework, then I would
> suggest that conditional code in the framework be used to handle different
> "Flavours" of use. The advantage of this is that anyone modifying the
> Framework code can see what effect their changes might have on a different
> flavour of the framework.
>
> Some obvious flavours might be:
> USA accounting and taxation
> EU accounting and VAT with various country flavours
> Manufacturing
> Direct Sales
> Retail shop
> eCommerce
> These flavours would be set at install time in the configuration files, but
> interpreted at run time.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Andrew Ballantine.

There is really an interesting idea, I look forward to more design and implementation ;o)

Re: What does "OOTB front-end accessibility" mean to you?

Ian McNulty
So, replace a person in a bank and you save $365K USD per year. That's a
lot of money. But I still don't understand where the $12K per person
comes in?

One thing's for sure. People cost a lot more in the banking business
than in a lot of other industries I could name! Which explains why the
Banks will pay so highly for any technology that gets rid of them.

But those kind of economics cannot apply too far outside the walls of
the banks, where people still count as something more than just overhead
(even if only just :)

Banking is just a small fraction of the potential market. Such a
high-end application, already well catered for by highly competitive
incumbents in the field, has got to be one of the most hostile
environments in which to get any kind of incubation to grow.

Ian

Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> I worked for a french bank 4 years ago.
> A manager told me that for them the average cost of a person was around 750 euros (US$ 1000) by day (including all charges).
> This day I discovered that as an independant I was not so expansive at all (I was well paid on these days, banks have the money you
> know ;o)
> This also one of the reasons why managers are always trying to reduce the number of people they work with.
> Most of their own value is evaluated upper on this simple criterion (with recurrence to the top of course)
> workDone divided by numberOfPeopleNeedeed
> Life of managers is not so complicated finally
>
> Sorry for this digression but this time I was not the starter ;o)
>
> Jacques

Walter Vaughan
Ian McNulty wrote:
> So, replace a person in a bank and you save $365K USD per year. That's a
> lot of money. But I still don't understand where the $12K per person
> comes in?

I said earlier in the thread...

Sage's Mas500 ERP runs about $12,000USD per person if you have about 50 people
with access to all the functionality of the system.

If you need an extra seat of ofBiz your incremental cost is the cost of the
hardware.

Someone else related that number to the cost of a mythical employee at some bank
in France.

Walter

Re: What does "OOTB front-end accessibility" mean to you?

From: "Walter Vaughan" <[hidden email]>
[...snip...]
> Someone else related that number to the cost of a mythical employee at some bank
> in France.

Not mythical : average (allEmployeeIncludingUpperStaffCostIncludingCharges divided by numberOfAllEmployeeIncludingUpperStaff ;o) !

> Walter

Re: What does "OOTB front-end accessibility" mean to you?

Ian McNulty
Andrew,

Andrew Ballantine wrote:

> Ian McNulty wrote:
>
>> As someone who has also been involved in computing for more than 30
>> years, I'd have to agree with the guy from MS who said that Open Source
>> is a cancer rotting everything it touches.
>>

> Ian,
>
> I sincerely hope this is NOT what you meant to say, especially in an open
> source mailing list.

Ehr. No. This is exactly what I meant to say. But I a apologise if this
has come over as exactly the opposite to that intended. The bit that I
perhaps ought to have emphasised "HAVE TO agree."

That  in the context of the discussion about the impoverished existence
I've been leading installing open source in comparison with the almighty
fees my equivalents in Sage or Microsoft are charging for delivering
inferior product.

More to the point, my second sentence means to say exactly the same as
yours. You say:

I said:

> As a scientist who believes we see further only because we have licence
> to stand on the shoulders of great men, I know he's got it completely
> upside down.

Probably intoxication with my own verbosity concealed the message too
much here. But I hope it's now clear that we are singing from exactly
the same hymn sheet hear.

That aside, it's heartening to discover I'm not the only one who is
angry with MS!

In fact I may even be more of a swivel-eyed fundamentalist on this
matter than most. Imho, Bill's famous letter on software copyright to
the Home Brew Computer Club marked the beginning of the end for open
science and the free world. I still kinda hold out some hope that Open
Source might shed some kind of light on the end of that particularly
long, dark tunnel.

Everything else you say I agree with 100% - with knobs on!

Hope that explains it.

Best,

Ian

> Open source and the business model that surrounds it is quite difficult for
> the new people to grasp. It certainly took me a while.
>
> The whole point about open source is that if what you've got doesn't
> entirely do what you want, you can modify it to suit and if you contribute
> it back to the community, the community will help maintain it for you.
> However one cannot always expect an open source project to jump to new
> contributor's requests.
>
> Contribution and discussion of ideas is also of benefit to the community and
> your contribution of ideas is welcome, certainly by me.
>
> I would hope you might clarify your statement.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Andrew Ballantine.

Thanks Walter. Just wasn't clear what exactly the 12K related to. Am
now. Thanks for pointing it out.

Ian

Walter Vaughan wrote:

> Ian McNulty wrote:
>> So, replace a person in a bank and you save $365K USD per year.
>> That's a lot of money. But I still don't understand where the $12K
>> per person comes in?
>
> I said earlier in the thread...
>
> Sage's Mas500 ERP runs about $12,000USD per person if you have about
> 50 people with access to all the functionality of the system.
>
> If you need an extra seat of ofBiz your incremental cost is the cost
> of the hardware.
>
> Someone else related that number to the cost of a mythical employee at
> some bank in France.
>
> --
> Walter

Re: What does "OOTB front-end accessibility" mean to you?

Andrew Sykes
Ian,

On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 06:44 +0000, Ian McNulty wrote:
> Who exactly is saying what software should be worth
> $12K USD per person? In the UK most people aren't considered to be
> worth
> that!

That one made me laugh!

I guess the reality is to do with traditional business philosophy around
supply and demand - i.e. if you can charge that without adversely
effecting your client base it would be mad not to!

The reality is that running a big company that guarantees super fast
support and accepts a big degree of liability is that it costs a lot of
money to do it. If you look at all the commitments these big guys have,
i.e. everything from plush offices to make the right impression; through
huge staffing costs; insurance; marketing etc, it soon adds up to a lot
of $12k's

Raising visibility using a traditional business model is a VERY costly
enterprise. I suspect that part of that visibility strategy is to be
reassuringly expensive.

So, er, what am I trying to say here? I guess my point is that the very
best strategy for OfBiz is to provide a great product, everything else
is costly. If your due diligence when choosing software is to order by
price and then choose one that appears at the pricier end then perhaps
you deserve to pay a premium for buying someone else's vision! If, on
the other hand, you have your own vision, perhaps OfBiz is for you.
--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: What does "OOTB front-end accessibility" mean to you?

Daniel Kunkel
Hi Ian

Excellent idea.

The one issue I'd like to revisit before we got too far down this road
and create more work later.

Could we embed more of the company/instance configuration information
into the database.

Right now quite a few of the configuration settings that are associated
with a particular company are hard coded into files rather than being in
the database. Some examples are the default currency, email connection
settings, ups and usps connection details, etc.

I think having the configuration settings defined in the database are
needed to create a truly user friendly product. Remember when of every
single little change of an PC's network configuration required a reboot.
Furthermore, it will support the conglomerates where different divisions
each have their own UPS or USPS account, credit card account, or e-mail
templates.

Thanks

Daniel

Andrew Sykes wrote:

> That one made me laugh!

Pleased I managed to raise a titter somewhere :)

And lot of food for thought too.

> The reality is that running a big company that guarantees super fast
> support and accepts a big degree of liability is that it costs a lot of
> money to do it.

I guess it does. Which would beg the question: How could any application
that did not set out to at least match that level of support and
liability in some way or another ever be considered credible competition?

>  If you look at all the commitments these big guys have,
> i.e. everything from plush offices to make the right impression; through
> huge staffing costs; insurance; marketing etc, it soon adds up to a lot
> of $12k's

It certainly does. But you can't judge a book by its cover. Expenditure
on plush offices, marketing and staff certainly improve the position of
the supplier, but do not necessarily add up to better support, security,
insurance or quality of service for the end-user. In fact there's lots
of evidence to show that, past a certain size, increased isolation from
the customer, increased inertial mass and corporate self-survival can
turn pathogenic for both customer and corporation. The Rust Belt of the
80s would be a good example of those kind of dynamics.

> Raising visibility using a traditional business model is a VERY costly
> enterprise. I suspect that part of that visibility strategy is to be
> reassuringly expensive.

I think that's very true. They used to say that nobody ever got sacked
for buying IBM. But that was before the microchip appeared on the scene!
And before the guys at Enron got locked up for being all mouth and no
trousers.

> So, er, what am I trying to say here? I guess my point is that the very
> best strategy for OfBiz is to provide a great product,

That would have to take first priority, no doubt.

>  everything else is costly.

Need that necessarily always be the case?

In the old days when TV was the only screen in the house, radio the only
loudspeaker or Newspapers the only news, it was certainly true.

But, now that an unknown kid playing classical music on a guitar in his
bedroom can attract more fans than Girls Aloud, even the old media
dinosaurs are suddenly not so sure.

The net is still relatively wide-open.

Good products can still get through.

Apache is just one shining example.

Why so much doubt that OFBiz can get there too?

>  If your due diligence when choosing software is to order by
> price and then choose one that appears at the pricier end then perhaps
> you deserve to pay a premium for buying someone else's vision!

Too true. They deserve everything they get, as my grandmother would have
said.

>  If, on the other hand, you have your own vision, perhaps OfBiz is for you.

Well now, this is kindof like the whole of where I'm coming from here
really.

I think that's the kind of proposition that radical, talented artistes
and engineers love to rise to. But, to the average, increasingly
insecure, corporate play-safer, this is more likely to come over as an
invitation to be branded as a loose-canon, irresponsible, risk-taking,
left-of-field, swivel-eyed loon, who most probably believes in pink
elephants and crop circles too. To most this is not a sales proposition,
it's a curse that could bring an end to their career. Remember. Nobody
ever got sacked for buying IBM.

Which is what leads me to the conclusion that large corporations could
be amongst the most hostile environment you could find for incubating a
market. The only point in favour being the New York interpretation: if
you make it there you'll make it anywhere.

But offer an affordable, entry-level system to start-ups, small
businesses and the average kid in their bedrooms - something equivalent
to entry-level Sage or Intuit as Firefox is equivalent to IE - and you
might find you're pushing against an open door!

Your granny should know, as the sainted Mr Mills-McCartney never said :)

Ian

Andrew Sykes wrote:

> Ian,
>
> On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 06:44 +0000, Ian McNulty wrote:
>
>> Who exactly is saying what software should be worth
>> $12K USD per person? In the UK most people aren't considered to be
>> worth
>> that!
>>

> That one made me laugh!
>
> I guess the reality is to do with traditional business philosophy around
> supply and demand - i.e. if you can charge that without adversely
> effecting your client base it would be mad not to!
>
> The reality is that running a big company that guarantees super fast
> support and accepts a big degree of liability is that it costs a lot of
> money to do it. If you look at all the commitments these big guys have,
> i.e. everything from plush offices to make the right impression; through
> huge staffing costs; insurance; marketing etc, it soon adds up to a lot
> of $12k's
>
> Raising visibility using a traditional business model is a VERY costly
> enterprise. I suspect that part of that visibility strategy is to be
> reassuringly expensive.
>
> So, er, what am I trying to say here? I guess my point is that the very
> best strategy for OfBiz is to provide a great product, everything else
> is costly. If your due diligence when choosing software is to order by
> price and then choose one that appears at the pricier end then perhaps
> you deserve to pay a premium for buying someone else's vision! If, on
> the other hand, you have your own vision, perhaps OfBiz is for you.

Re: What does "OOTB front-end accessibility" mean to you?

davidnwelton
> > The reality is that running a big company that guarantees super fast
> > support and accepts a big degree of liability is that it costs a lot of
> > money to do it.
>
> I guess it does. Which would beg the question: How could any application
> that did not set out to at least match that level of support and
> liability in some way or another ever be considered credible competition?

The book "The Innovator's Dilemma" is a great read.  The main point is
summarized here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disruptive_technology

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Daniel Kunkel wrote:
> Hi Ian
>
> Excellent idea.

Pleased you think so :)

> The one issue I'd like to revisit before we got too far down this road
> and create more work later.
>
> Could we embed more of the company/instance configuration information
> into the database.

Could I?
No.
I'm getting too old.
The learning curve would be too great.

Could you?
I don't know.
You tell me.

Could anybody else?
Ditto

Is it worth doing anyway?

Well.... Now you're talking!

> Right now quite a few of the configuration settings that are associated
> with a particular company are hard coded into files rather than being in
> the database. Some examples are the default currency, email connection
> settings, ups and usps connection details, etc.
>
> I think having the configuration settings defined in the database are
> needed to create a truly user friendly product.

Perhaps.

Or some kind of a web interface for writing directly to the XML might
incur less overhead?

I don't know enough to say.

> Remember when of every single little change of an PC's network configuration required a reboot.

You bet your boots I do! And I still have the bunions to prove it!

> Furthermore, it will support the conglomerates where different divisions
> each have their own UPS or USPS account, credit card account, or e-mail
> templates.

A way of configuring without having to get into the component/file
structure or the XML would certainly help the average grandmother and
would certainly be a good way to go as far as I'm concerned.

Rewriting XML by hand is not such a terrifically difficult skill to learn.

Making that part of the business more user-friendly would succeed in
removing some of the more tedious aspects of the setup, but leave the
wonders of the core even more mysterious to behold. What could be wrong
with that?

The exact method by which this would be most easily achieved with
minimum additional overhead is not a matter on which I am in any way
qualified to judge.

By any means necessary would be the generic conclusion.

Ian

> [...]

Durham
DH1 2UL

t: +44 (0)191 384 4736
e: [hidden email]
w: www.mcnultymedia.co.uk
This communication is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) named above and is confidential. Any form of distribution, copying, discussion or use of this communication, its contents, or any information contained herein without prior consent is strictly prohibited. If you receive this communication in error, please notify the sender by email or by telephone on +44 (0)191 384 4736

This email has been checked for viruses, however, we cannot accept any liability sustained as a result of software viruses and would recommend that you carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.

Re: What does "OOTB front-end accessibility" mean to you?

David,

Thank you so much.

You are so on-the-money.

This is so much fun.

But how long before we get rain on the parade?

That's the parameter I'm measuring at the moment!

Ian

David Welton wrote:

>> > The reality is that running a big company that guarantees super fast
>> > support and accepts a big degree of liability is that it costs a
>> lot of
>> > money to do it.
>>
>> I guess it does. Which would beg the question: How could any application
>> that did not set out to at least match that level of support and
>> liability in some way or another ever be considered credible
>> competition?
>
> The book "The Innovator's Dilemma" is a great read.  The main point is
> summarized here:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disruptive_technology

mcnultyMEDIA
60 Birkdale Gardens
Durham
DH1 2UL

t: +44 (0)191 384 4736
e: [hidden email]
w: www.mcnultymedia.co.uk
This communication is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) named above and is confidential. Any form of distribution, copying, discussion or use of this communication, its contents, or any information contained herein without prior consent is strictly prohibited. If you receive this communication in error, please notify the sender by email or by telephone on +44 (0)191 384 4736

This email has been checked for viruses, however, we cannot accept any liability sustained as a result of software viruses and would recommend that you carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.

Re: What does "OOTB front-end accessibility" mean to you?

Ian McNulty
David,

What chance do you reckon of OFBiz achieving DTO Certification?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disruptive_Technologies_Office

Ian

David Welton wrote:

>> > The reality is that running a big company that guarantees super fast
>> > support and accepts a big degree of liability is that it costs a
>> lot of
>> > money to do it.
>>
>> I guess it does. Which would beg the question: How could any application
>> that did not set out to at least match that level of support and
>> liability in some way or another ever be considered credible
>> competition?
>
> The book "The Innovator's Dilemma" is a great read.  The main point is
> summarized here:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disruptive_technology

mcnultyMEDIA
60 Birkdale Gardens
Durham
DH1 2UL

t: +44 (0)191 384 4736
e: [hidden email]
w: www.mcnultymedia.co.uk
This communication is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) named above and is confidential. Any form of distribution, copying, discussion or use of this communication, its contents, or any information contained herein without prior consent is strictly prohibited. If you receive this communication in error, please notify the sender by email or by telephone on +44 (0)191 384 4736

This email has been checked for viruses, however, we cannot accept any liability sustained as a result of software viruses and would recommend that you carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.

Re: What does "OOTB front-end accessibility" mean to you?

David E Jones-2

On Jan 4, 2007, at 10:13 AM, Ian McNulty wrote:

>>  If, on the other hand, you have your own vision, perhaps OfBiz is
>> for you.
>
> Well now, this is kindof like the whole of where I'm coming from
> here really.
>
> I think that's the kind of proposition that radical, talented
> artistes and engineers love to rise to. But, to the average,
> increasingly insecure, corporate play-safer, this is more likely to
> come over as an invitation to be branded as a loose-canon,
> irresponsible, risk-taking, left-of-field, swivel-eyed loon, who
> most probably believes in pink elephants and crop circles too. To
> most this is not a sales proposition, it's a curse that could bring
> an end to their career. Remember. Nobody ever got sacked for buying
> IBM.
>
> Which is what leads me to the conclusion that large corporations
> could be amongst the most hostile environment you could find for
> incubating a market. The only point in favour being the New York
> interpretation: if you make it there you'll make it anywhere.
>
> But offer an affordable, entry-level system to start-ups, small
> businesses and the average kid in their bedrooms - something
> equivalent to entry-level Sage or Intuit as Firefox is equivalent
> to IE - and you might find you're pushing against an open door!
>
> Your granny should know, as the sainted Mr Mills-McCartney never
> said :)

This is an interesting analogy, but perhaps not as close to OFBiz
versus the world as you might think (in my opinion, of course).

I should clear the air here and make it clear that large businesses
are NOT and have not been the target for OFBiz. Some large businesses
are using parts of OFBiz, even rather large parts, in places where
they need significant customization and such, but not to run or track
the core of their business. Being more specific, some big companies
are using it for ecommerce, but not for ERP and CRM types of activities.

The real sweet spot of the world that has funded the development of
OFBiz is medium sized companies, usually ecommerce or another variety
of retail organization that has an income or 10-100 million USD per
year. That means a new system to them is at least a few hundred
thousand dollars, which is about the minimum range of budget to be
able to develop lots of cool stuff and make it free.

There are certainly much smaller users using OFBiz, but they really
can't contribute to it's development. The resources are just too
scattered and small to effectively participate in any non-financial
way, and their ability to contribute in a financial way is a bit like
the grandmother you mentioned... very warm hearted and appreciative
and who has a severe need for help, but really can't offer more than
a gift of a few dollars here and there, adding up to no more than a
couple/few hundred per month.

On that scale you just can't build something like OFBiz, and so we
haven't been able to target companies of that scale in OOTB
functionality.

Of course, as OFBiz matures the OOTB stuff is getting better and
better and small companies can conceivably do more and more.

Re: What does "OOTB front-end accessibility" mean to you?

David E Jones-2

Just a quick thought on this: yes.

Okay, maybe that was too quick. ;)

This is a matter of refinement and improvement and in order to have
OOTB configurations for different industries would be necessary.

Thinking about this more, and adding on to what I wrote earlier, I
think 2 things are needed in OFBiz for an effective "OOTB"
configuration, and this is true of many other apps that have industry-
specific templates or variations (all the way from QuickBooks to SAP):

1. base data (initial/recommended chart of accounts, Parties,
Facilities, Store(s), etc, etc)
2. a setup wizard to get through at least the most necessary and
important settings for a given type of company; some of this could be
generic too: like company name, contact info, etc, etc; beyond those
basic things it would be industry, or "flavour", specific

If anyone wanted to invest in this you'd have my full support as this
is a direction that has been discussed before and that it would be
great to eventually go.

-David

On Jan 4, 2007, at 9:43 AM, Daniel Kunkel wrote:

> [...]
>>> those in the
>>> needed. I think this could be
>>> configured for the needs of any

>>> more intuitive
>>> to use, even small
>>> features.

>>> have modules they've
>>> modules.

>>> of the possible

>>> high-end, high-value,
>>> is needed to
>>> installation, to more of a
>>> requires offering easily
>>> bands customers can

>>> to use the net for
>>> and user-generated

>>> mailing list we are
>>> it's efficacy in
>>> motivated group onto
>>> this context, an
>>> be indifferentiable
>>>>>>>

>> === message truncated ===

Re: What does "OOTB front-end accessibility" mean to you?

Hmmm... would we really _want_ that? Sometimes such folks are not
terribly friendly and while something good could come of their
increased awareness of our little group, who's to say their real
purpose is not to suppress certain forms of disruptive technology?

-David

On Jan 4, 2007, at 12:12 PM, Ian McNulty wrote:

> David,
>
> What chance do you reckon of OFBiz achieving DTO Certification?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disruptive_Technologies_Office
>
> Ian

>>> fast
>>> a lot of
>>>
>>> I guess it does. Which would beg the question: How could any
>>> application
>>> that did not set out to at least match that level of support and
>>> liability in some way or another ever be considered credible
>>> competition?
>>
>> The book "The Innovator's Dilemma" is a great read.  The main
>> point is
>> summarized here:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disruptive_technology

> ------------------------
> mcnultyMEDIA
> 60 Birkdale Gardens
> Durham
> DH1 2UL
>
> t: +44 (0)191 384 4736
> e: [hidden email]
> w: www.mcnultymedia.co.uk
> ========================
> This communication is for the exclusive use of the intended
> recipient(s) named above and is confidential. Any form of
> distribution, copying, discussion or use of this communication, its
> contents, or any information contained herein without prior consent
> is strictly prohibited. If you receive this communication in error,
> please notify the sender by email or by telephone on +44 (0)191 384
> 4736

> any liability sustained as a result of software viruses and would
> recommend that you carry out your own virus checks before opening
> any attachment.

1234