What makes a successful open source project?

What makes a successful open source project?

jonwimp
Interesting article my boss dumped on my desk today.

See http://www.informationweek.com/shared/printableArticle.jhtml?articleID=197002953 .

Hope that doesn't mean I'm about to lose my job soon for going with OFBiz. :P

Jonathon

Re: What makes a successful open source project?

David E Jones

On Feb 5, 2007, at 10:55 PM, Jonathon -- Improov wrote:

> Interesting article my boss dumped on my desk today.
>
> See http://www.informationweek.com/shared/printableArticle.jhtml?
> articleID=197002953 .

It's an interesting article, though it does seem to be afflicted by
the amazingly contagious disease of believing only in "commercial
open source", in spite of referencing some large non-commercial (ie
community-driven) projects, and not really differentiating the really
very significant factors involved in each.

If you have ANY questions about the authors opinions in this
direction, read his next article, a great blinders-fully-on article
about Postgres, showing a clear misunderstanding of community-driven
projects:

http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197002954

> Hope that doesn't mean I'm about to lose my job soon for going with
> OFBiz. :P

For what reason? Are you seeing something I'm missing?

Re: What makes a successful open source project?

jonwimp
David,

Nice. Thanks for analyzing that article.

 > It's an interesting article, though it does seem to be afflicted by the
 > amazingly contagious disease of believing only in "commercial open
 > source", in spite of referencing some large non-commercial (ie
 > community-driven) projects, and not really differentiating the really
 > very significant factors involved in each.

Looks that way to me too.

 > If you have ANY questions about the authors opinions in this direction,
 > read his next article, a great blinders-fully-on article about Postgres,
 > showing a clear misunderstanding of community-driven projects:
 >
 > http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197002954

That article confuses me. Is it saying that "more core developers does not equal better support"?
Seems more like it's saying "it's not easy to get paid and committed support because many support
companies are not sticking with providing PostgreSQL support for some (unexplained) reason".

 >> Hope that doesn't mean I'm about to lose my job soon for going with
 >> OFBiz. :P
 >
 > For what reason? Are you seeing something I'm missing?

I'm not seeing anything. I'd carefully ask that same question to my boss.

Jonathon

On Feb 6, 2007, at 2:20 PM, Jonathon -- Improov wrote:

> > If you have ANY questions about the authors opinions in this
> direction,
> > read his next article, a great blinders-fully-on article about
> Postgres,
> > showing a clear misunderstanding of community-driven projects:
> >
> > http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197002954
>
> That article confuses me. Is it saying that "more core developers
> does not equal better support"? Seems more like it's saying "it's
> not easy to get paid and committed support because many support
> companies are not sticking with providing PostgreSQL support for
> some (unexplained) reason".
As I see it the argument in the article is that a couple of companies
failed in their attempt to compete in the PostgreSQL service and
support market, and therefore users should be wary of using the
software.

Doesn't quite make sense to me. In fact, I'd say that this is a good
sign that there attempts by larger organizations to compete using
things other than quality of service is a very good sign. It's a sign
that there are no major artificial barriers to entry for service
providers, things that are anti-competitive (as so much of the
commercial software industry thrives on), and are VERY bad for
customers. They result in lock-in and force system changes rather
than just service provider changes when something goes wrong.

So, for me the evidence he sites leads to a very different
conclusion... one that supports the inherent stability and strength
of community-driven open source projects that have an adequate
contributor and service provider base. OFBiz is not nearly as big as
Postgres, but I think we hit the critical mass point for long-term
survival a year or two ago.

Re: What makes a successful open source project?

Walter Vaughan
Jonathon & others wrote:

>> It's an interesting article, though it does seem to be afflicted by
>> the amazingly contagious disease of believing only in "commercial open
>> source", in spite of referencing some large non-commercial (ie
>> community-driven) projects, and not really differentiating the really
>> very significant factors involved in each.

I don't have the article in front of me, but there was a critical sentence in
there. The quote from Pervasive dropping support said something about the
couldn't respond as fast or as good as the community already was.

I can attest to that. I posted a question on the postgreSQL mailing list at 11am
this morning, and I had 5 good responses before lunch.

Hard to sell against free.

Oh wait.

When I grew up water was free. I just saw water for $5 at an airport last week.

Perhaps when Hillary gets in there she'll pass a law that they must have free
filtered water fountains next to water in those sport bottles.

Walter

Re: What makes a successful open source project?

jonwimp
David,

 > It's a sign that there are no major artificial barriers to entry for service
 > providers, things that are anti-competitive (as so much of the commercial
 > software industry thrives on), and are VERY bad for customers. They result in
 > lock-in and force system changes rather than just service provider changes
 > when something goes wrong.

Yes, more proponents for open source! I say that too, no lock-in with open source (I have many
usable self-maintained branches of abandoned projects). Definitely right about the "force system
changes".

Way I see it too, going back to closed source applications is out of the question. I use whatever
closed source apps that aren't broken yet, and move on to open source when they do break.

 > So, for me the evidence he sites leads to a very different conclusion...  one
 > that supports the inherent stability and strength of community-driven open
 > source projects that have an adequate contributor and service provider
 > base. OFBiz is not nearly as big as Postgres, but I think we hit the critical
 > mass point for long-term survival a year or two ago.

I agree about the critical mass. That's the biggest reason I "bet my career on OFBiz" (in my boss'
words) in the first place. I see many competent OFBiz engineers popping in an out of the MLs.

Problem is I don't see many contributing back. Guess you're right about some of the "dark side" of
open source projects.

Do you think actively training/creating more OFBiz engineers will explode the rate of development
of OFBiz? Or is that gonna further fuel the "take out without putting back in" syndrome?

Jonathon

David E. Jones wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2007, at 2:20 PM, Jonathon -- Improov wrote:
>
>> > If you have ANY questions about the authors opinions in this direction,
>> > read his next article, a great blinders-fully-on article about
>> Postgres,
>> > showing a clear misunderstanding of community-driven projects:
>> >
>> > http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197002954
>>
>> That article confuses me. Is it saying that "more core developers does
>> not equal better support"? Seems more like it's saying "it's not easy
>> to get paid and committed support because many support companies are
>> not sticking with providing PostgreSQL support for some (unexplained)
>> reason".
>
> As I see it the argument in the article is that a couple of companies
> failed in their attempt to compete in the PostgreSQL service and support
> market, and therefore users should be wary of using the software.
>
> Doesn't quite make sense to me. In fact, I'd say that this is a good
> sign that there attempts by larger organizations to compete using things
> other than quality of service is a very good sign. It's a sign that
> there are no major artificial barriers to entry for service providers,
> things that are anti-competitive (as so much of the commercial software
> industry thrives on), and are VERY bad for customers. They result in
> lock-in and force system changes rather than just service provider
> changes when something goes wrong.
>
> So, for me the evidence he sites leads to a very different conclusion...
> one that supports the inherent stability and strength of
> community-driven open source projects that have an adequate contributor
> and service provider base. OFBiz is not nearly as big as Postgres, but I
> think we hit the critical mass point for long-term survival a year or
> two ago.

Re: What makes a successful open source project?

Andrew Sykes
Jonathon,

On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 07:56 +0800, Jonathon -- Improov wrote:
> Do you think actively training/creating more OFBiz engineers will
> explode the rate of development
> of OFBiz? Or is that gonna further fuel the "take out without putting
> back in" syndrome?

In my opinion, almost definitely the latter!
--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: What makes a successful open source project?

jonwimp
David,

This is for ONLY if you have time.

Article aside, can you quickly give your opinions of OFBiz in terms of the following factors as
per http://www.informationweek.com/shared/printableArticle.jhtml?articleID=197002953 ?

The factors are:

- A thriving community
- Disputive goals
- A benevolant dictor
- Transparency
- Civility
- Documentation
- Employed developers
- A clear license
- Commercial support

Please read that article's definition of those factors. Some factors could be misnamed, like "A
benevolent dictator" doesn't quite refer to a kind and generous leader but more like a proactive,
wise, firm and creative one.

Just a quick rating will do. But any elaborations on your ratings will be nice too.

Thanks!

Jonathon

On Feb 6, 2007, at 4:56 PM, Jonathon -- Improov wrote:

> I agree about the critical mass. That's the biggest reason I "bet
> my career on OFBiz" (in my boss' words) in the first place. I see
> many competent OFBiz engineers popping in an out of the MLs.
>
> Problem is I don't see many contributing back. Guess you're right
> about some of the "dark side" of open source projects.
>
> Do you think actively training/creating more OFBiz engineers will
> explode the rate of development of OFBiz? Or is that gonna further
> fuel the "take out without putting back in" syndrome?
 From my years of experience with this I think the strongest factors
to predict this are... well... actually I think my years of mistakes
in trying to predict this have only taught me that you never know
what will get someone to contribute.

It is necessary to have something to push you into spending enough
time with OFBiz to get your head around it, and to have something
that will keep you coming back to the project frequently.

If you want an inside view on one of my evil plans related to OFBiz:
this is the reason why I'm not a big fan of releases or stabilized
branches. In general people using those cannot effectively
collaborate with people developing new stuff and contribute to the
trunk.

Still, such releases are important for the long term success of the
project, and hopefully we're getting to the point where we are really
ready for that. Though I'm not totally convinced, we'll find out
soon, because we are doing it! As has been discussed the release
branch is coming around the end of March. The success scenario for
that is that enough people use it to help back-patch bug fixes from
the trunk, and in general maintain and stabilize it.

On Feb 6, 2007, at 9:05 PM, Jonathon -- Improov wrote:

> David,
>
> This is for ONLY if you have time.

Time? Me? That would be awesome.

> Article aside, can you quickly give your opinions of OFBiz in terms
> of the following factors as per http://www.informationweek.com/
> shared/printableArticle.jhtml?articleID=197002953 ?
>
> The factors are:
>
> - A thriving community
> - Disputive goals
> - A benevolant dictor
> - Transparency
> - Civility
> - Documentation
> - Employed developers
> - A clear license
> - Commercial support
>
> Please read that article's definition of those factors. Some
> factors could be misnamed, like "A benevolent dictator" doesn't
> quite refer to a kind and generous leader but more like a
> proactive, wise, firm and creative one.
>
> Just a quick rating will do. But any elaborations on your ratings
> will be nice too.
How I'd rather see this go is that others voice their opinions on
these topics. I think this is a case where an outsiders view may be
more interesting than an "insider's" guess at these factors.

In general, no, I don't think Apache OFBiz is perfect on all of these
fronts. Chances are no open source project is, unless you're talking
to someone in the marketing department... ;)

Re: What makes a successful open source project?

cjhowe
After seeing David's community invitation,  I'll toss my tidbits in...kind of MySpace bulletin feel :-)