Why's everybody baggin' on OFBiz lately

Tim Ruppert
I just wanted to move this topic to something that would be less related to one particular topic and more related to what appears to be a deteriorating tone in the user community.

As everyone knows, there is a A LOT of work constantly going on around the user & dev communities here at OFBiz - and thanks to this we're starting to see a bunch of new, potential "power" users coming into the fold - which is exactly what this community needs.

When I take a step back from what is going on in my regular work life and concentrate on the mailing lists, my personal opinion is that there is a lot of baggin' on OFBiz going on around here!  Most of the people around here are experienced developers who have worked on a number of different open source projects, so I guess I'm a little surprised by where things appear to be heading.

Without going into specifics and calling individual people out on the carpet, I would like to have everyone just think about these things:

1. All committers and experienced OFBiz developers are all working towards the same goal - to better the project.
2. When you're not finding something that you need, it's much more effective to ask where things are found - rather than criticize the current set up.
3. If something you want is not available, you can either head a group that wants to develop / document it, develop it yourself, or get someone more experienced in OFBiz to champion your cause.
4. If you NEED something committed back into OFBiz and are on a strict timeline, build in a small amount of funds to get a committer to look at it.  Often times people are too busy with paying work to look over EVERYTHING - cash can, at times change priorities for everyone.  This is not to imply that being a committer is a paying gig - just that if your stuff is a priority more for you than the community, this can help.
5. It's far less stressful to try to get what you want than it is to be right!  What I mean by this, is think about what you're saying and how you're saying it.  It can go a long way towards getting you what you really want.

Anyways, thanks for listening and I hope this helps people start to structure their requests & needs in a way that motivates people to help them.  We need everyone to come in and be productive community members so that we can all work more efficiently - let's see what we can do to rally around the project!

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

Re: Why's everybody baggin' on OFBiz lately

Adrian Crum
In other words, you can curse the darkness or light a candle.

For what it's worth, I truly appreciate the developer community and the
committers. I'm excited about where OFBiz is going.

Tim Ruppert wrote:

> I just wanted to move this topic to something that would be less related
> to one particular topic and more related to what appears to be a
> deteriorating tone in the user community.
>
> As everyone knows, there is a A LOT of work constantly going on around
> the user & dev communities here at OFBiz - and thanks to this we're
> starting to see a bunch of new, potential "power" users coming into the
> fold - which is exactly what this community needs.
>
> When I take a step back from what is going on in my regular work life
> and concentrate on the mailing lists, my personal opinion is that there
> is a lot of baggin' on OFBiz going on around here!  Most of the people
> around here are experienced developers who have worked on a number of
> different open source projects, so I guess I'm a little surprised by
> where things appear to be heading.
>
> Without going into specifics and calling individual people out on the
> carpet, I would like to have everyone just think about these things:
>
> 1. All committers and experienced OFBiz developers are all working
> towards the same goal - to better the project.
> 2. When you're not finding something that you need, it's much more
> effective to ask where things are found - rather than criticize the
> current set up.
> 3. If something you want is not available, you can either head a group
> that wants to develop / document it, develop it yourself, or get someone
> more experienced in OFBiz to champion your cause.
> 4. If you NEED something committed back into OFBiz and are on a strict
> timeline, build in a small amount of funds to get a committer to look at
> it.  Often times people are too busy with paying work to look over
> EVERYTHING - cash can, at times change priorities for everyone.  This is
> not to imply that being a committer is a paying gig - just that if your
> stuff is a priority more for you than the community, this can help.
> 5. It's far less stressful to try to get what you want than it is to be
> right!  What I mean by this, is think about what you're saying and how
> you're saying it.  It can go a long way towards getting you what you
> really want.
>

> Anyways, thanks for listening and I hope this helps people start to
> structure their requests & needs in a way that motivates people to help
> them.  We need everyone to come in and be productive community members
> so that we can all work more efficiently - let's see what we can do to
> rally around the project!
>
> Cheers,
> Tim
> --
> Tim Ruppert
> HotWax Media
> http://www.hotwaxmedia.com
>
> o:801.649.6594
> f:801.649.6595

RE: Why's everybody baggin' on OFBiz lately

Stephens, Drew
This is not at all surprising, in fact it makes perfect sense.  Thanks
for your help.

Drew Stephens
Rippe & Kingston Systems, Inc.
[hidden email]
Phone: (513) 977-4573

Visit us at: www.rippe.com

1077 Celestial Street, Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1696

=======

Tim Ruppert wrote:
> [...]

> right!  What I mean by this, is think about what you're saying and how

> you're saying it.  It can go a long way towards getting you what you
> really want.
>

> Anyways, thanks for listening and I hope this helps people start to
> structure their requests & needs in a way that motivates people to
help
> them.  We need everyone to come in and be productive community members

> so that we can all work more efficiently - let's see what we can do to

> rally around the project!
>
> Cheers,
> Tim
> --
> Tim Ruppert
> HotWax Media
> http://www.hotwaxmedia.com
>
> o:801.649.6594
> f:801.649.6595

Re: Why's everybody baggin' on OFBiz lately

David Shere
When I read the help forums at http://www.ubuntuforums.org/ , I tend to
see the same thing.  People are complaining about the developers (How
could they *possibly* allow something like this to happen?!?!?) or ease
of use (I should have to go through *all this* to get it to work!
Ubuntu sucks!).  Usually someone chimes in and says something to the
effect of:  "Ubuntu is free software.  You're not in much of a position
to complain about something when you're getting it for free."

--
David Shere
Steele Rubber Products
http://stores.ebay.com/Steele-Rubber-Products

Re: Why's everybody baggin' on OFBiz lately

John MCADAMS
All,

<rant>
I second David's Comments.  It has been a challenge reading the posts
here and on the forums lately.  A lot of BMW (Bitching, Moaning,
Whining) lately.  It's easy to understand why David Jones, et al, are
possibly a little frustrated (or what seems frustrated) in some of their
replies to the group.

As a newbie, I lurk around here to see what others are doing, where
their challenges are and to learn.  What I've see for the past week or
two is only about 35% helpful. Spirited discussions are helpful, to a
point, then they just become noise.  Therefore, I offer...

My 2 cents, and it's worth what you paid for it.

1) If you don't like something, fix it and contribute it back to the
community.  Otherwise, ask for help and respect the answer you've been
given.
2) Remember, we are a community, and as such, there will be things that
we love, things we hate, and things we can be ambivalent about.  You
choose which is which.  And, if you hate it, see #1.
3) There is a lot of work to be done, so find out what you love or hate
in #2 and make it better.
4) Contribute, be part of the cause, play a part, share, and most of
all, have fun building this OfBiz community.

</rant>
Thanks for reading,

John McAdams
Application Development Team Lead
State of Oregon DHS.OIS.AMS
971.673.0111
--
"When debugging, novices insert corrective code; experts remove
defective code." -- Richard Pattis

--
David Shere
Steele Rubber Products
eBay Programming and Sales
http://stores.ebay.com/Steele-Rubber-Products

Re: Why's everybody baggin' on OFBiz lately

Tim Ruppert
John & David (Shere), I couldn't agree with you more.  Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

Tim Ruppert wrote:
[...]

jonwimp
John, David Shere,

I second David's comments too. It's not easy to tell our bosses that.

I guess I got into a difficult place "in-between" because I was pushing for OFBiz so hard. I
didn't have 6 months to learn OFBiz. Possibly 6 days, if not just 6 hours.

It's like I have one leg in open source boat, and another in business boat. With both boats going
in opposite directions.

I feel sorry for all the wasteful posts (though not all are entirely wasteful, so don't shoot me
for saying that).

Jonathon

John MCADAMS wrote:

> [...]
> how
>> you're saying it.  It can go a long way towards getting you what you
>
>> really want.
>>

>> Anyways, thanks for listening and I hope this helps people start to
>> structure their requests & needs in a way that motivates people to
> help
>> them.  We need everyone to come in and be productive community
> members
>> so that we can all work more efficiently - let's see what we can do
>> rally around the project!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Tim
>> --
>> Tim Ruppert
>> HotWax Media
>> http://www.hotwaxmedia.com
>>
>> o:801.649.6594
>> f:801.649.6595

Re: Why's everybody baggin' on OFBiz lately

davidnwelton
> I guess I got into a difficult place "in-between" because I was pushing for OFBiz so hard. I
> didn't have 6 months to learn OFBiz. Possibly 6 days, if not just 6 hours.

OFBiz is kind of weird that way.  I went through a similar situation.
I found the project, liked what I saw a lot, and tried to convince my
boss.  But being something of a PHB, he looked at OFBiz for 15
minutes, found it kind of clunky looking (and to tell the truth, the
ordering screens would currently not work for a high volume business),
and decided that it wasn't for us, which is a pity.

The project does have something of an odd feel compared to other
things, in that the learning stair-step is a big one, and that first
step is not an easy one.

My feeling is that the positive network externalities outweigh the
free riders in most open source projects, and that even little
companies can give something back.  At least, a certain percentage of
them will, depending on a variety of factors.  So getting them
involved is probably a good thing.

Anyway, there's been enough rambling here to last a couple months, so
I'll cut mine short.

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

RE: Why's everybody baggin' on OFBiz lately

Amit Shinde
Tim, David, John,
                  I agree with your thoughts. Heres my 2 cents on this
topic -

             We all need to understand what OFBiz offers and how it helps. With
OFBiz we can create ERP, CRM, E-Business / E-Commerce, SCM, MRP, CMMS/EAM
solutions, and so on and all this is FREE. Agreed! OFBiz might be FREE of
cost but its certainly not FREE of effort. "There is no such thing as a free
lunch". It has taken 5+ years and thousands of man-hours in the making.
Imagine the amount of time and money that we will save if we embrace OFBiz.
We need to accept the fact that OFBiz is a complex framework (and can be a
little overwhelming to start with) and it will take time and effort to get
comfortable with it. If we have dont get enough time and support for
learning OFBiz, probably we are not doing a great job of convincing our
bosses or OFBiz might not be the right choice for us. Patience and dilgence
are the key virtues.

                We are lucky to have so much documentation already and the
mailing list rocks... no really I mean it. All of my questions have been
answered quickly and theres a ton to learn looking at the answers of someone
else's questions. Its a learning process and I know we all want to be in the
driver's seat as soon as possible. Anyways, I applaud everyones contribution
in getting OFBiz going.

             I am not an avid philosopher but below are some powerful quotes by
Mahatma Gandhi -

"You must be the change you wish to see." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do
it." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress." - Mahatma Gandhi

Have a great day everyone,

Amit Shinde
Director
Amicon Technologies Pvt. Ltd.,
Mumbai, India.

John MCADAMS wrote:

> [...]
> is
>> not to imply that being a committer is a paying gig - just that if
> your
>> stuff is a priority more for you than the community, this can help.
>> 5. It's far less stressful to try to get what you want than it is to
> be
>> right!  What I mean by this, is think about what you're saying and
> how
>> you're saying it.  It can go a long way towards getting you what you
>
>> really want.
>>

>> Anyways, thanks for listening and I hope this helps people start to
>> structure their requests & needs in a way that motivates people to
> help
>> them.  We need everyone to come in and be productive community
> members
>> so that we can all work more efficiently - let's see what we can do

6:48 PM