catalogs ? not multilingual

Heidi Dehaes - Olagos
Hello,

Can anyone explain me how to make catalogs multilingual?

It is quite easy to do it for the names of categories and for the content of
products.

But i don't see any possibility for doing it with catalogs?

thanks in advance,
heidi

Re: catalogs ? not multilingual

How did you do for categories and products ? If you followed demo data files you may follow the same way for catalog. It has not
been done for catalog, as it should be obvious at this stage (ie after having done categories and products)

Jacques

From: "Heidi Dehaes" <[hidden email]>

> Hello,
>
> Can anyone explain me how to make catalogs multilingual?
>
> It is quite easy to do it for the names of categories and for the content of
> products.
>
> But i don't see any possibility for doing it with catalogs?
>
> thanks in advance,
> heidi

Re: catalogs ? not multilingual

Developer Olagos
I used
CATEGORY
CONTENT
CATEGORY NAME: PREPARE CREATE
I create the text for the category name for for example English.
Then i create the text for the category name for for example French.
and so on.
Then in the CONTENT under tab CONTENT for this text , i chose ASSOCIATION
and i chose EDIT CONTENT ASSOCIATION and ALTERNATE LOCALE so that the
language is automatically changed when needed.

BUT i don't have this possibilities for CATALOGUS
There is no screen in ofbiz to do the same things for CATALOGI.

Heidi

2008/4/6, Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]>:

> How did you do for categories and products ? If you followed demo data
> files you may follow the same way for catalog. It has not been done for
> catalog, as it should be obvious at this stage (ie after having done
> categories and products)
>
> Jacques
>
> From: "Heidi Dehaes" <[hidden email]>
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Can anyone explain me how to make catalogs multilingual?
> >
> > It is quite easy to do it for the names of categories and for the
> > content of
> > products.
> >
> > But i don't see any possibility for doing it with catalogs?
> >
> > thanks in advance,
> > heidi

Re: catalogs ? not multilingual

Heidi Dehaes - Olagos
Does someone has an answer on this question for me please?

thanks,
Heidi

2008/4/6, Heidi Dehaes <[hidden email]>:

> I used
> CATEGORY
> CONTENT
> CATEGORY NAME: PREPARE CREATE
> I create the text for the category name for for example English.
> Then i create the text for the category name for for example French.
> and so on.
> Then in the CONTENT under tab CONTENT for this text , i chose ASSOCIATION
> and i chose EDIT CONTENT ASSOCIATION and ALTERNATE LOCALE so that the
> language is automatically changed when needed.
>
> BUT i don't have this possibilities for CATALOGUS
> There is no screen in ofbiz to do the same things for CATALOGI.
>
> Heidi
>
> 2008/4/6, Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > How did you do for categories and products ? If you followed demo data
> > files you may follow the same way for catalog. It has not been done for
> > catalog, as it should be obvious at this stage (ie after having done
> > categories and products)
> >
> > Jacques
> >
> > From: "Heidi Dehaes" <[hidden email]>
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Can anyone explain me how to make catalogs multilingual?
> > >
> > > It is quite easy to do it for the names of categories and for the
> > > content of
> > > products.
> > >
> > > But i don't see any possibility for doing it with catalogs?
> > >
> > > thanks in advance,
> > > heidi

Re: catalogs ? not multilingual

madppiper-2
After banging my head for pretty much the entire day, could somebody guide me through this process??

I did the following:

1) I created a new category
2) clicked on content
3) chose "Category Name" from the "Add Product Category Content" table, clicked on Prepare Create
4) Chose From Date to yesterday
5) entered Locale String "de"
6) entered Text "deutscher Text"
7) clicked on Create

repeated the very same for "en" and "english Text". Yet, nothing changes when I change the locale in the ecommerce-application...

I also tried the following, without any difference:
8) in category view clicked on Edit Content
9) clicked on Association
10) entered "Webstore Content" in Content Id To
11) Selected Content Assoc Type Id (Alternate Locale)
12) clicked on Create

Re: catalogs ? not multilingual

madppiper-2
I have stumbled upon this well written article:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/How+to+localize+Product+and+Categories+descriptions+(work+in+progress...)

but even after carefully following the steps, I couldn't get this thing to work...

Any idea?, Btw, why are 7 steps necessary for the localisation of a category name... Is this really necessary?

Re: catalogs ? not multilingual

Have a look into DemoProductCategoriesI18nData.xml

Jacques

From: "madppiper" <[hidden email]>

> I have stumbled upon this well written article:
>
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/How+to+localize+Product+and+Categories+descriptions+(work+in+progress...)
>

> but even after carefully following the steps, I couldn't get this thing to
> work...
>
> Any idea?, Btw, why are 7 steps necessary for the localisation of a category
> name... Is this really necessary?

Re: catalogs ? not multilingual

Have a look into DemoProductCategoriesI18nData.xml. Also did you have a look into attachments on this page ?

Jacques

From: "madppiper" <[hidden email]>

> I have stumbled upon this well written article:
>
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/How+to+localize+Product+and+Categories+descriptions+(work+in+progress...)
>

> but even after carefully following the steps, I couldn't get this thing to
> work...
>
> Any idea?, Btw, why are 7 steps necessary for the localisation of a category
> name... Is this really necessary?

Re: catalogs ? not multilingual

madppiper-2
Hmm, yeah :)

Both files make a good read - thx!

I think that as for the categories, I will probably just create an entity of my own (with productCategoryId, locale, name, description and imageUrl) and rework the Sidedeepcategory,categorydetail and breadcrumbs ftl files. Later in the process I am urged to create a new set of "wizzards" for the creation and editing of new categories anyway, so i got the feeling that this may actually be easier than to mess with the cms. Especially since I am using Magnolia for the real content anyway...

It is a bummer though, looking at the logic behind the ofbiz cms, i can clearly see that everything is in place just fine - the structure is really well done and makes a whole lotta sense. It's just that as for categories and/or products, I don't really want to hussle with so many screens to go through... If it takes me more than 5min to create a product in multilanguages, I doubt that I can find coworkers who would even touch it at all... so perhaps it is best to do the workaround as i intend it for now...

which reminds me, perhaps it would make more sense to auto-create the DataResources and Assocs when using the catalog/create button?!

Re: catalogs ? not multilingual

BJ Freeman

Re: catalogs ? not multilingual

Why not create data in files like in DemoProductCategoriesI18nData.xml or DemoProductI18nData.xml ?

Jacques

From: "madppiper" <[hidden email]>

> Hmm, yeah :)
>
> Both files make a good read - thx!
>
> I think that as for the categories, I will probably just create an entity of
> my own (with productCategoryId, locale, name, description and imageUrl) and
> rework the Sidedeepcategory,categorydetail and breadcrumbs ftl files. Later
> in the process I am urged to create a new set of "wizzards" for the creation
> and editing of new categories anyway, so i got the feeling that this may
> actually be easier than to mess with the cms. Especially since I am using
> Magnolia for the real content anyway...
>
> It is a bummer though, looking at the logic behind the ofbiz cms, i can
> clearly see that everything is in place just fine - the structure is really
> well done and makes a whole lotta sense. It's just that as for categories
> and/or products, I don't really want to hussle with so many screens to go
> through... If it takes me more than 5min to create a product in
> multilanguages, I doubt that I can find coworkers who would even touch it at
> all... so perhaps it is best to do the workaround as i intend it for now...
>
> which reminds me, perhaps it would make more sense to auto-create the
> DataResources and Assocs when using the catalog/create button?!

Re: catalogs ? not multilingual

madppiper-2
Well, I just wanted to stop by and say that whoever came up with the concept of Menu and Form Widgets is a Bloody Genius!

Thank you so much for hinting me there, too. This concept makes everything alot easier!!!