compressHTML ON by default ?

Hi all,

I commited recently (in trunk revision: 594042) a patch from Adrian. I then asked in the corresponding Jira issue  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-1318

<<I just wondered if we should not use the compressHTML by default (ON) from a property in general.properties ?>>

I know it's very minor, but maybe we should, WDYT ?

Re: compressHTML ON by default ?

Adrian Crum
Just so everyone one knows what compressHTML does:

It strips unnecessary whitespace from the HTML output. It is NOT the same thing as gzipped HTTP 1.1
compression.

I originally proposed the compressHTML feature to help reduce the amount of markup travelling over
dial-up lines. At the time there was some debate as to whether it would produce any noticable
difference - that's why it is OFF by default.

-Adrian

Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I commited recently (in trunk revision: 594042) a patch from Adrian. I then asked in the corresponding Jira issue  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-1318
>
> <<I just wondered if we should not use the compressHTML by default (ON) from a property in general.properties ?>>
>
> I know it's very minor, but maybe we should, WDYT ?

RE: compressHTML ON by default ?

SkipDever
I think it should be on by default.  It doesnt hurt anything and the
javascript compression work I have seen suggests that it helps.  If you are
trying to debug, which would be the only time it would be needed that I can
see, you can turn it on.

My two cents.

Skip

Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I commited recently (in trunk revision: 594042) a patch from Adrian. I
then asked in the corresponding Jira issue

> <<I just wondered if we should not use the compressHTML by default (ON)
from a property in general.properties ?>>

> I know it's very minor, but maybe we should, WDYT ?

Re: compressHTML ON by default ?

David E Jones

The general practice (kind of policy...) for SVN is that everything in
it should be development oriented. When you check out from SVN, you
get a set of configuration values that put timeouts on caches for auto-
reloading, and so on.

This is why we have production setup documentation, namely:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBTECH/Apache+OFBiz+Technical+Production+Setup+Guide

What should be done in this case is have it OFF by default, and make
sure it is documented in the above mentioned document.

This is the practice with everything else, and should be the practice
with this.

-David

On Nov 21, 2007, at 12:12 PM, skip@thedevers wrote:

> I think it should be on by default.  It doesnt hurt anything and the
> javascript compression work I have seen suggests that it helps.  If
> you are
> trying to debug, which would be the only time it would be needed
> that I can
> see, you can turn it on.
>
> My two cents.
>
> Skip

David,

Your reply got me to thinking... should we have screen widget boundary comments turned ON by default?

-Adrian

David E Jones wrote:

> The general practice (kind of policy...) for SVN is that everything in
> it should be development oriented. When you check out from SVN, you  get
> a set of configuration values that put timeouts on caches for auto-
> reloading, and so on.
>
> This is why we have production setup documentation, namely:
>
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBTECH/Apache+OFBiz+Technical+Production+Setup+Guide
>

> What should be done in this case is have it OFF by default, and make
> sure it is documented in the above mentioned document.
>
> This is the practice with everything else, and should be the practice
> with this.
>
> -David
>

> On Nov 21, 2007, at 12:12 PM, skip@thedevers wrote:
>
>> I think it should be on by default.  It doesnt hurt anything and the
>> javascript compression work I have seen suggests that it helps.  If
>> you are
>> trying to debug, which would be the only time it would be needed  that
>> I can
>> see, you can turn it on.
>>
>> My two cents.
>>
>> Skip

It wouldn't be appropriate for me to make that decision, and I don't
really have a strong opinion on it either way.

That would be consistent with these other things so we certainly could
do it that way.

We should solicit opinions on it, but that should really happen on the
dev list.

In fact, this whole thread should probably have been on the dev list...

-David

On Nov 21, 2007, at 12:59 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:

> David,
>
> Your reply got me to thinking... should we have screen widget
> boundary comments turned ON by default?
>
> -Adrian
>
> David E Jones wrote:
>
>> The general practice (kind of policy...) for SVN is that everything
>> in  it should be development oriented. When you check out from SVN,
>> you  get a set of configuration values that put timeouts on caches
>> for auto- reloading, and so on.
>> This is why we have production setup documentation, namely:
>> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBTECH/Apache+OFBiz+Technical+Production+Setup+Guide
>>  What should be done in this case is have it OFF by default, and
>> make  sure it is documented in the above mentioned document.
>> This is the practice with everything else, and should be the
>> practice  with this.
>> -David
>> On Nov 21, 2007, at 12:12 PM, skip@thedevers wrote:
>>> I think it should be on by default.  It doesnt hurt anything and the
>>> javascript compression work I have seen suggests that it helps.
>>> If  you are
>>> trying to debug, which would be the only time it would be needed
>>> that I can
>>> see, you can turn it on.
>>>
>>> My two cents.
>>>
>>> Skip

Thanks David and Adrian,

I have added your advices into the doc from the link below.

Jacques

De : "David E Jones" <[hidden email]>

> It wouldn't be appropriate for me to make that decision, and I don't
> really have a strong opinion on it either way.
>
> That would be consistent with these other things so we certainly could
> do it that way.
>
> We should solicit opinions on it, but that should really happen on the
> dev list.
>
> In fact, this whole thread should probably have been on the dev list...
>
> -David

Yes, I agree. I wanted to make it well known, done :o)

Jacques

> On Nov 21, 2007, at 12:59 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>
> > David,
> >
> > Your reply got me to thinking... should we have screen widget
> > boundary comments turned ON by default?
> >
> > -Adrian
> >
> > David E Jones wrote:
> >
> >> The general practice (kind of policy...) for SVN is that everything
> >> in  it should be development oriented. When you check out from SVN,
> >> you  get a set of configuration values that put timeouts on caches
> >> for auto- reloading, and so on.
> >> This is why we have production setup documentation, namely:
> >> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBTECH/Apache+OFBiz+Technical+Production+Setup+Guide
> >>  What should be done in this case is have it OFF by default, and
> >> make  sure it is documented in the above mentioned document.
> >> This is the practice with everything else, and should be the
> >> practice  with this.
> >> -David

jonwimp
About SVN being development oriented, I agree!

As for whether compressHTML would make any diff, I thought it won't. Extra spaces compress really
well with zip, so traffic won't be affected much.

Maybe javascript works faster (gets parsed more quickly) with compressedHTML on?

Jonathon