configuration files and Framework Dependency

configuration files and Framework Dependency

BJ Freeman
Ok got these Configuration files pulled from the applications in my web
tools.
Was going to put them in SVN till it dawned on me that there is not
suppose to be any dependency.
now I notice the setting the Timeperiods for Fiscal is in Webtools and
it has it own page in Webtools.
Since this effects a application, does this not break the dependency rule?

So do we want to have another app in the applications that does Setup so
there is only one pages to maintain or make seperate pages like
timeperiods in Webtools?

The Setup would mostly be a controller that includes all the apps
controllers and a menu for selecting the setup pages throughout the
applications.
and example of a setup page is the Emails for productstores.

Re: configuration files and Framework Dependency

David E Jones

What is the broken dependency here? The CustomTimePeriod entity is
defined in the framework/common component, which is one that the
webtools component depends on.

These definitely need to be modernized to use the form widget and
such, and we should have some sort of accounting-specific time period
setup screen (or screens) in the accounting manager.

-David

De : "BJ Freeman" <[hidden email]>
> Ok got these Configuration files pulled from the applications in my web
> tools.
> Was going to put them in SVN till it dawned on me that there is not
> suppose to be any dependency.
> now I notice the setting the Timeperiods for Fiscal is in Webtools and
> it has it own page in Webtools.
> Since this effects a application, does this not break the dependency rule?

Yes, sounds like it does

> So do we want to have another app in the applications that does Setup so
> there is only one pages to maintain or make seperate pages like
> timeperiods in Webtools?

Yes setting applications parameters outside of framework sound really better. I already wondered why "Timeperiods for Fiscal" is not
in the accouting application.

> The Setup would mostly be a controller that includes all the apps
> controllers and a menu for selecting the setup pages throughout the
> applications.
> and example of a setup page is the Emails for productstores.

I'm not sure that we need another webtools like page for setting applications parameters.They should be contained in their
respective applications

WFIW

Re: configuration files and Framework Dependency

BJ Freeman
thanks for your input.
please note: I am not moving or adding any setup files from were they are.
I am only creating a menu and links in one place so they are easily found.
there is one selection that sets the webapp to hide the tab once all
setup is done.
it also has it own security so only the configuration person should
access this tab.

Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 11/3/2007 3:26 PM:

De : "BJ Freeman" <[hidden email]>
> thanks for your input.
> please note: I am not moving or adding any setup files from were they are.
> I am only creating a menu and links in one place so they are easily found.
> there is one selection that sets the webapp to hide the tab once all
> setup is done.
> it also has it own security so only the configuration person should
> access this tab.

Yes, great idea ! +1

Jacques

> Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 11/3/2007 3:26 PM:
> > De : "BJ Freeman" <[hidden email]>
> >> Ok got these Configuration files pulled from the applications in my web
> >> tools.
> >> Was going to put them in SVN till it dawned on me that there is not
> >> suppose to be any dependency.
> >> now I notice the setting the Timeperiods for Fiscal is in Webtools and
> >> it has it own page in Webtools.
> >> Since this effects a application, does this not break the dependency rule?
> >
> > Yes, sounds like it does
> >
> >> So do we want to have another app in the applications that does Setup so
> >> there is only one pages to maintain or make seperate pages like
> >> timeperiods in Webtools?
> >
> > Yes setting applications parameters outside of framework sound really better. I already wondered why "Timeperiods for Fiscal" is
not

> > in the accouting application.
> >
> >> The Setup would mostly be a controller that includes all the apps
> >> controllers and a menu for selecting the setup pages throughout the
> >> applications.
> >> and example of a setup page is the Emails for productstores.
> >
> > I'm not sure that we need another webtools like page for setting applications parameters.They should be contained in their
> > respective applications
> >
> > WFIW
> >
> > Jacques

Re: configuration files and Framework Dependency

I guess  missed why timeperiods, a accounting feature, is not in accouning.
Unless you consider Workeffort an overriding component to timeperiods.
did you not mention about puttting things in common that are application
specific.
Maybe I misundertood.

David E Jones sent the following on 11/3/2007 9:45 AM:

> What is the broken dependency here? The CustomTimePeriod entity is
> defined in the framework/common component, which is one that the
> webtools component depends on.
>
> These definitely need to be modernized to use the form widget and such,
> and we should have some sort of accounting-specific time period setup
> screen (or screens) in the accounting manager.
>
> -David
>

> On Nov 3, 2007, at 7:14 AM, BJ Freeman wrote:
>
>> Ok got these Configuration files pulled from the applications in my web
>> tools.
>> Was going to put them in SVN till it dawned on me that there is not
>> suppose to be any dependency.
>> now I notice the setting the Timeperiods for Fiscal is in Webtools and
>> it has it own page in Webtools.
>> Since this effects a application, does this not break the dependency
>> rule?
>>
>> So do we want to have another app in the applications that does Setup so
>> there is only one pages to maintain or make seperate pages like
>> timeperiods in Webtools?
>>
>> The Setup would mostly be a controller that includes all the apps
>> controllers and a menu for selecting the setup pages throughout the
>> applications.
>> and example of a setup page is the Emails for productstores.

Re: configuration files and Framework Dependency

David E Jones

The CustomTimePeriod entity is not accounting specific. The fiscal
period is only one possible type of custom time period.

So, yes, this is more general than just the application of it in the
accounting component and the entity definition is where it belongs.

-David

On Nov 3, 2007, at 11:28 PM, BJ Freeman wrote:

> I guess  missed why timeperiods, a accounting feature, is not in
> accouning.
> Unless you consider Workeffort an overriding component to timeperiods.
> did you not mention about puttting things in common that are
> application
> specific.
> Maybe I misundertood.
>

> David E Jones sent the following on 11/3/2007 9:45 AM:
>>
>> What is the broken dependency here? The CustomTimePeriod entity is
>> defined in the framework/common component, which is one that the
>> webtools component depends on.
>>
>> These definitely need to be modernized to use the form widget and
>> such,
>> and we should have some sort of accounting-specific time period setup
>> screen (or screens) in the accounting manager.
>>
>> -David
>>

>> On Nov 3, 2007, at 7:14 AM, BJ Freeman wrote:
>>
>>> Ok got these Configuration files pulled from the applications in
>>> my web
>>> tools.
>>> Was going to put them in SVN till it dawned on me that there is not
>>> suppose to be any dependency.
>>> now I notice the setting the Timeperiods for Fiscal is in Webtools
>>> and
>>> it has it own page in Webtools.
>>> Since this effects a application, does this not break the dependency
>>> rule?
>>>
>>> So do we want to have another app in the applications that does
>>> Setup so
>>> there is only one pages to maintain or make seperate pages like
>>> timeperiods in Webtools?
>>>
>>> The Setup would mostly be a controller that includes all the apps
>>> controllers and a menu for selecting the setup pages throughout the
>>> applications.
>>> and example of a setup page is the Emails for productstores.

Re: configuration files and Framework Dependency

Weird : I received this message only at 5h15 this morning, it was sent at 18h45 yesterday

Jacques

De : "David E Jones" <[hidden email]>

> What is the broken dependency here? The CustomTimePeriod entity is
> defined in the framework/common component, which is one that the
> webtools component depends on.
>
> These definitely need to be modernized to use the form widget and
> such, and we should have some sort of accounting-specific time period
> setup screen (or screens) in the accounting manager.
>
> -David
>

> On Nov 3, 2007, at 7:14 AM, BJ Freeman wrote:
>
> > Ok got these Configuration files pulled from the applications in my
> > web
> > tools.
> > Was going to put them in SVN till it dawned on me that there is not
> > suppose to be any dependency.
> > now I notice the setting the Timeperiods for Fiscal is in Webtools and
> > it has it own page in Webtools.
> > Since this effects a application, does this not break the dependency
> > rule?
> >
> > So do we want to have another app in the applications that does
> > Setup so
> > there is only one pages to maintain or make seperate pages like
> > timeperiods in Webtools?
> >
> > The Setup would mostly be a controller that includes all the apps
> > controllers and a menu for selecting the setup pages throughout the
> > applications.
> > and example of a setup page is the Emails for productstores.

Re: configuration files and Framework Dependency

BJ Freeman
now there is a time difference.
also we changed our time from Daylight to normal which accounts for an hour.
I also received this message about 12 hours after it says it was sent.

Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 11/4/2007 12:40 AM:

> Weird : I received this message only at 5h15 this morning, it was sent at 18h45 yesterday
>
> Jacques
>
> De : "David E Jones" <[hidden email]>
>> What is the broken dependency here? The CustomTimePeriod entity is
>> defined in the framework/common component, which is one that the
>> webtools component depends on.
>>
>> These definitely need to be modernized to use the form widget and
>> such, and we should have some sort of accounting-specific time period
>> setup screen (or screens) in the accounting manager.
>>
>> -David
>>

>> On Nov 3, 2007, at 7:14 AM, BJ Freeman wrote:
>>
>>> Ok got these Configuration files pulled from the applications in my
>>> web
>>> tools.
>>> Was going to put them in SVN till it dawned on me that there is not
>>> suppose to be any dependency.
>>> now I notice the setting the Timeperiods for Fiscal is in Webtools and
>>> it has it own page in Webtools.
>>> Since this effects a application, does this not break the dependency
>>> rule?
>>>
>>> So do we want to have another app in the applications that does
>>> Setup so
>>> there is only one pages to maintain or make seperate pages like
>>> timeperiods in Webtools?
>>>
>>> The Setup would mostly be a controller that includes all the apps
>>> controllers and a menu for selecting the setup pages throughout the
>>> applications.
>>> and example of a setup page is the Emails for productstores.

Re: configuration files and Framework Dependency

Yes, I suspected Daylight. But this was not last week in US (it was in Europe) ?

> now there is a time difference.
> also we changed our time from Daylight to normal which accounts for an hour.
> I also received this message about 12 hours after it says it was sent.
>
> Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 11/4/2007 12:40 AM:
> > Weird : I received this message only at 5h15 this morning, it was sent at 18h45 yesterday
> >
> > Jacques
> >
> > De : "David E Jones" <[hidden email]>
> >> What is the broken dependency here? The CustomTimePeriod entity is
> >> defined in the framework/common component, which is one that the
> >> webtools component depends on.
> >>
> >> These definitely need to be modernized to use the form widget and
> >> such, and we should have some sort of accounting-specific time period
> >> setup screen (or screens) in the accounting manager.
> >>
> >> -David

OT: Re: configuration files and Framework Dependency

David E Jones

It was probably because of my funny email client. I wrote the email
while on the road yesterday and clicked send and it was sitting in my
send queue until I connected last night. The sent time was probably
when I clicked send, not when it was able to connect to a mail server
and actually get it out on the 'net.

-David

On Nov 4, 2007, at 1:40 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Weird : I received this message only at 5h15 this morning, it was
> sent at 18h45 yesterday
>
> Jacques
>
> De : "David E Jones" <[hidden email]>
>>
>> What is the broken dependency here? The CustomTimePeriod entity is
>> defined in the framework/common component, which is one that the
>> webtools component depends on.
>>
>> These definitely need to be modernized to use the form widget and
>> such, and we should have some sort of accounting-specific time period
>> setup screen (or screens) in the accounting manager.
>>
>> -David
>>

>> On Nov 3, 2007, at 7:14 AM, BJ Freeman wrote:
>>
>>> Ok got these Configuration files pulled from the applications in my
>>> web
>>> tools.
>>> Was going to put them in SVN till it dawned on me that there is not
>>> suppose to be any dependency.
>>> now I notice the setting the Timeperiods for Fiscal is in Webtools
>>> and
>>> it has it own page in Webtools.
>>> Since this effects a application, does this not break the dependency
>>> rule?
>>>
>>> So do we want to have another app in the applications that does
>>> Setup so
>>> there is only one pages to maintain or make seperate pages like
>>> timeperiods in Webtools?
>>>
>>> The Setup would mostly be a controller that includes all the apps
>>> controllers and a menu for selecting the setup pages throughout the
>>> applications.
>>> and example of a setup page is the Emails for productstores.

Re: Re: configuration files and Framework Dependency

Thanks for comment David,

Was just wondering, I wonder now if all clients do the same...

Jacques

De : "David E Jones" <[hidden email]>