json + prototype + ajax?

Re: json + prototype + ajax?

David E Jones-2

Consistency is good, but I wouldn't say that's our #1 priority. We
definitely want primary and secondary best practices like we do with
other things, but also want to support a variety of technologies on
the framework level. In other words, if people want to do stuff in
their own code bases we don't want to block that, but yes for
anything going into the project it should follow a consistent set of
patterns so that people exploring the code for the first time will
have a stream of "okay, okay, okay, ..." going through their heads
instead of a stream of "wtf, wtf, wtf, ...".

On an important but less pleasant note: the AJAX stuff we are dealing
with is very new in OFBiz, and outside of OFBiz the "market" is still
maturing quite a lot. I agree we should perhaps vote on a best
practice, though in general I'd rather see X task implemented with
DOJO required so much effort and with Prototype so much effort. What
I mean to say is that we should definitely decide on a best practice
now and it sounds like most of the consensus is around JSON+DOJO, but
we shouldn't be surprised if something much better comes up at some
point in the future.

BTW, as to how I see AJAX stuff fitting into OFBiz there are 2 big
parts:

1. adding dynamic client side features to the form and screen (and
other) widgets for things like dynamic lookups, expanding tree-
browsers, movable screen-lets, etc.

2. special purpose pages that are meant to optimize a certain task,
like the checkout stuff Tim mentioned, but probably even moreso for
fancy back-end stuff

For #1 replacing an AJAX framework is easy, but doesn't make as big a
different in coding efficiency or anything, whereas for #2 something
better would make coding easier, but require more rewriting...

-David

On Dec 13, 2006, at 4:53 PM, A. Zeneski wrote:

> I am curious as to the pattern used to make the async calls, what
> method
> of return is used here?
>
> I see two possible patterns which would be useful:
>
> 1) JSON compressed objects. This will require more processing on the
> front end to pull the data and format the HTML. I like leaving this in
> the front end code personally. This is currently implemented using the
> JSONServiceEventHandler request handler.
>
> 2) Screen Widget based HTML return. The Ajax request makes a simple
> call
> which returns a HTML fragment (developed using screen widgets). The
> return is then just plugged in by updating the element content
> (innerHTML).
>
> Either of these patterns is fine by me, and I believe that for most
> applications a combination of the two would be necessary.
>
> I am sure there are many other ways to accomplish the same thing, but
> since there is so much effort about to begin around 'Ajaxing' OFBiz
> making sure things are consistent is #1 priority.
>
> I'm curious as to what other 'patterns' people have come up with
> (if any).
>
> Andrew
>

> Tim Ruppert wrote:
>> Just to continue the push towards Dojo, I am about to submit a new
>> Anonymous Checkout process for
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-510 which is based upon
>> Dojo.  You guys will like it - 3 steps and working towards my 2 step
>> process goal.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Tim
>> --
>> Tim Ruppert
>> HotWax Media
>> http://www.hotwaxmedia.com
>>
>> o:801.649.6594
>> f:801.649.6594
>>

>> On Dec 13, 2006, at 4:36 PM, A. Zeneski wrote:
>>
>>> I used prototype for my initial test and found it very easy to work
>>> with. Dojo on the other hand seemed to have a much broader learning
>>> curve. It too me a while to get everything working, but I think
>>> it is
>>> due to the ajax part being more verbose.
>>>
>>> The extra features such as DND and other widgets is very nice as
>>> well.
>>>
>>> The fact that DOJO is available under the BSD license is a plus
>>> as well.
>>> I think there should be no license issues with this library.
>>>
>>> Should we just say DOJO is the way to go for future Ajax based
>>> tools in
>>> OFBiz or do we need a formal vote?
>>>
>>> Andrew

Re: json + prototype + ajax?

Ean Schuessler
On Wednesday 13 December 2006 19:21, David E Jones wrote:

> BTW, as to how I see AJAX stuff fitting into OFBiz there are 2 big
> parts:
>
> 1. adding dynamic client side features to the form and screen (and
> other) widgets for things like dynamic lookups, expanding tree-
> browsers, movable screen-lets, etc.
>
> 2. special purpose pages that are meant to optimize a certain task,
> like the checkout stuff Tim mentioned, but probably even moreso for
> fancy back-end stuff
>
> For #1 replacing an AJAX framework is easy, but doesn't make as big a
> different in coding efficiency or anything, whereas for #2 something
> better would make coding easier, but require more rewriting...

We've had a few discussions going on over here about how to handle AJAX
integration while still keeping security in mind. It seems like providing a
limited dispatcher that only allows certain groups of services to be invoked
is a good thing. Lots of services are already userLogin and Role protected,
which is a good headstart. Maybe a specific AJAX dispatcher that has only
services which are already vetted exposed through it?

It would also be nice to have a high level facility for invoking those
services and then triggering their results to something like the Dojo event
framework when they return. With something like Comet these events could even
be initiated by the server as if you had made a call on the client and then
the delivery events occured.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
[hidden email]
Brainfood, Inc.
http://www.brainfood.com

Re: json + prototype + ajax?

Related to this, we have done some work already to create a dynamic
party lookup tag for the form widget.  We were planning to wrap that
up and put it on JIRA for everybody, but we may need to re-tweak it a
bit in light of the jpublish/bsf changes.

On Dec 13, 2006, at 5:21 PM, David E Jones wrote:

> On an important but less pleasant note: the AJAX stuff we are
> dealing with is very new in OFBiz, and outside of OFBiz the
> "market" is still maturing quite a lot. I agree we should perhaps
> vote on a best practice, though in general I'd rather see X task
> implemented with DOJO required so much effort and with Prototype so
> much effort. What I mean to say is that we should definitely decide
> on a best practice now and it sounds like most of the consensus is
> around JSON+DOJO, but we shouldn't be surprised if something much
> better comes up at some point in the future.

Best Regards,

Si

Re: json + prototype + ajax?

Andrew Zeneski
Nice, I like...

Anil Patel wrote:

> 2) Screen Widget based HTML return. The Ajax request makes a simple call
> which returns a HTML fragment (developed using screen widgets). The
> return is then just plugged in by updating the element content (innerHTML).
>
> I have used this pattern with screen/ftl for generating html on demand.
>
> Regards
>

> On 12/13/06, A. Zeneski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I am curious as to the pattern used to make the async calls, what method
>> of return is used here?
>>
>> I see two possible patterns which would be useful:
>>
>> 1) JSON compressed objects. This will require more processing on the
>> front end to pull the data and format the HTML. I like leaving this in
>> the front end code personally. This is currently implemented using the
>> JSONServiceEventHandler request handler.
>>
>> 2) Screen Widget based HTML return. The Ajax request makes a simple call
>> which returns a HTML fragment (developed using screen widgets). The
>> return is then just plugged in by updating the element content
>> (innerHTML).
>>
>> Either of these patterns is fine by me, and I believe that for most
>> applications a combination of the two would be necessary.
>>
>> I am sure there are many other ways to accomplish the same thing, but
>> since there is so much effort about to begin around 'Ajaxing' OFBiz
>> making sure things are consistent is #1 priority.
>>
>> I'm curious as to what other 'patterns' people have come up with (if
>> any).
>>
>> Andrew
>>

>> Tim Ruppert wrote:
>> > Just to continue the push towards Dojo, I am about to submit a new
>> > Anonymous Checkout process for
>> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-510 which is based upon
>> > Dojo.  You guys will like it - 3 steps and working towards my 2 step
>> > process goal.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Tim
>> > --
>> > Tim Ruppert
>> > HotWax Media
>> > http://www.hotwaxmedia.com
>> >
>> > o:801.649.6594
>> > f:801.649.6594

>> well.

>> tools in

>> client.

>> event
>> requests

>> on

>> soon as
>> in.

Re: json + prototype + ajax?

Andrew Zeneski
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to limit us by any means. However,
there are currently a number of efforts going on in which Ajax will be
used to enhance or update various pieces of the open source project. I
for one would like to see an Ajax based packing screen go in the near
future as well.

What I mean by #1 priority, is to decide how we will standardize this
[for now] during the first wave of development. If we have a handful of
people all using different tools, we'll end up with a mess.

To compare, we don't have some screens using Velocity and others using
Freemarker, we have a standard for this. Even though Velocity is
supported and people can use it in the custom solutions. Freemarker is
standard for the open source contributions.

Before we start getting patches from people, I think we need standards.
This will save a lot of review time in the future.

Andrew

David E Jones wrote:

> [...]
>> return is then just plugged in by updating the element content
>> (innerHTML).
>>
>> Either of these patterns is fine by me, and I believe that for most
>> applications a combination of the two would be necessary.
>>
>> I am sure there are many other ways to accomplish the same thing, but
>> since there is so much effort about to begin around 'Ajaxing' OFBiz
>> making sure things are consistent is #1 priority.
>>
>> I'm curious as to what other 'patterns' people have come up with (if
>> any).
>>
>> Andrew
>>

>> Tim Ruppert wrote:
>>> Just to continue the push towards Dojo, I am about to submit a new
>>> Anonymous Checkout process for
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-510 which is based upon
>>> Dojo.  You guys will like it - 3 steps and working towards my 2 step

Re: json + prototype + ajax?

Andrew Zeneski
Ean,

When I implemented a test case using the new JSON service event handler
I found that the requests behaved just like any other HTTP request. The
security part is transparent, you require auth (but not HTTPS) for
events which will be Ajax-Enabled. This uses the user login object found
in the session (due to the fact that the url for the Ajax request is
wrapped around <@ofbizUrl> tags) and the service engine handles the
security.

For screen based (non-JSON) responses, I think the security handling
should be up to the page returned, just like any other page in OFBiz.

Thoughts?

Andrew

Ean Schuessler wrote:

> On Wednesday 13 December 2006 19:21, David E Jones wrote:
>> BTW, as to how I see AJAX stuff fitting into OFBiz there are 2 big
>> parts:
>>
>> 1. adding dynamic client side features to the form and screen (and
>> other) widgets for things like dynamic lookups, expanding tree-
>> browsers, movable screen-lets, etc.
>>
>> 2. special purpose pages that are meant to optimize a certain task,
>> like the checkout stuff Tim mentioned, but probably even moreso for
>> fancy back-end stuff
>>
>> For #1 replacing an AJAX framework is easy, but doesn't make as big a
>> different in coding efficiency or anything, whereas for #2 something
>> better would make coding easier, but require more rewriting...
>
> We've had a few discussions going on over here about how to handle AJAX
> integration while still keeping security in mind. It seems like providing a
> limited dispatcher that only allows certain groups of services to be invoked
> is a good thing. Lots of services are already userLogin and Role protected,
> which is a good headstart. Maybe a specific AJAX dispatcher that has only
> services which are already vetted exposed through it?
>
> It would also be nice to have a high level facility for invoking those
> services and then triggering their results to something like the Dojo event
> framework when they return. With something like Comet these events could even
> be initiated by the server as if you had made a call on the client and then
> the delivery events occured.

Re: json + prototype + ajax?

Leon Torres-2
I'd like to request before any votes go out that we see an actual implementation
of something useful in JSON and Dojo.  I'm concerned that this approach is not
lightweight enough for certain needs.

First, it needs to support functionality that have a high rate of requests, such
as autocomplete.  This is critical.

Second, the OFBiz AJAX system needs to be shallow and malleable.  By shallow, I
mean it should not have too many layers of complexity, abstraction or
indirection.  By malleable, I mean it should be easy to customize and build new
effects or features for.  Without these traits, it becomes difficult to develop
and debug custom Ajax features.

The reason I went with prototype was because of how easy it was to implement
autocomplete in the form widget:  It takes just two dozen lines of Javascript,
some standard HTML form elements, and a standard Servlet method to process the
autocomplete.  And the requests are very fast, using the "ftl" handler.  No
special magic was required, just to load the required .js libraries.

But this talk about having to write a JSON service event handler concerns me.
If someone could demonstrate that it will be just as simple and straightforward,
that would be great.

- Leon

A. Zeneski wrote:

> Ean,
>
> When I implemented a test case using the new JSON service event handler
> I found that the requests behaved just like any other HTTP request. The
> security part is transparent, you require auth (but not HTTPS) for
> events which will be Ajax-Enabled. This uses the user login object found
> in the session (due to the fact that the url for the Ajax request is
> wrapped around <@ofbizUrl> tags) and the service engine handles the
> security.
>
> For screen based (non-JSON) responses, I think the security handling
> should be up to the page returned, just like any other page in OFBiz.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Andrew
>
> Ean Schuessler wrote:
>> On Wednesday 13 December 2006 19:21, David E Jones wrote:
>>> BTW, as to how I see AJAX stuff fitting into OFBiz there are 2 big
>>> parts:
>>>
>>> 1. adding dynamic client side features to the form and screen (and
>>> other) widgets for things like dynamic lookups, expanding tree-
>>> browsers, movable screen-lets, etc.
>>>
>>> 2. special purpose pages that are meant to optimize a certain task,
>>> like the checkout stuff Tim mentioned, but probably even moreso for
>>> fancy back-end stuff
>>>
>>> For #1 replacing an AJAX framework is easy, but doesn't make as big a
>>> different in coding efficiency or anything, whereas for #2 something
>>> better would make coding easier, but require more rewriting...
>> We've had a few discussions going on over here about how to handle AJAX
>> integration while still keeping security in mind. It seems like providing a
>> limited dispatcher that only allows certain groups of services to be invoked
>> is a good thing. Lots of services are already userLogin and Role protected,
>> which is a good headstart. Maybe a specific AJAX dispatcher that has only
>> services which are already vetted exposed through it?
>>
>> It would also be nice to have a high level facility for invoking those
>> services and then triggering their results to something like the Dojo event
>> framework when they return. With something like Comet these events could even
>> be initiated by the server as if you had made a call on the client and then
>> the delivery events occured.

Re: json + prototype + ajax?

Tim Ruppert
Leon, check out https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-510 -
there's a VERY useful implementation up there and ready for review.
This piece makes the anonymous checkout process usable - in my opinion.

We don't actually need this piece for what we're doing at the moment
since our customer only accepts credit cards for payment, but since
I'm not in habit of just breaking other people's stuff and I don't
really want to maintain tons of mods (other than straight custom
work) outside of the OFBiz trunk, we took the time to do this.

Please everyone take a look at this and let's get this initial AJAX
direction decided upon sometime soon.  We are building tons of apps
based on a JSON / Dojo approach right now and would love for this to
be adopted or know a good reason to change direction to something
else.  We're happy to do that if that's what we all decide.

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6594

On Dec 13, 2006, at 8:39 PM, Leon Torres wrote:

> I'd like to request before any votes go out that we see an actual
> implementation of something useful in JSON and Dojo.  I'm concerned
> that this approach is not lightweight enough for certain needs.
>
> First, it needs to support functionality that have a high rate of
> requests, such as autocomplete.  This is critical.
>
> Second, the OFBiz AJAX system needs to be shallow and malleable.
> By shallow, I mean it should not have too many layers of
> complexity, abstraction or indirection.  By malleable, I mean it
> should be easy to customize and build new effects or features for.
> Without these traits, it becomes difficult to develop and debug
> custom Ajax features.
>
> The reason I went with prototype was because of how easy it was to
> implement autocomplete in the form widget:  It takes just two dozen
> lines of Javascript, some standard HTML form elements, and a
> standard Servlet method to process the autocomplete.  And the
> requests are very fast, using the "ftl" handler.  No special magic
> was required, just to load the required .js libraries.
>
> But this talk about having to write a JSON service event handler
> concerns me. If someone could demonstrate that it will be just as
> simple and straightforward, that would be great.
>
> - Leon
>

> A. Zeneski wrote:
>> Ean,
>> When I implemented a test case using the new JSON service event
>> handler
>> I found that the requests behaved just like any other HTTP
>> request. The
>> security part is transparent, you require auth (but not HTTPS) for
>> events which will be Ajax-Enabled. This uses the user login object
>> found
>> in the session (due to the fact that the url for the Ajax request is
>> wrapped around <@ofbizUrl> tags) and the service engine handles the
>> security.
>> For screen based (non-JSON) responses, I think the security handling
>> should be up to the page returned, just like any other page in OFBiz.
>> Thoughts?
>> Andrew
>> Ean Schuessler wrote:

>>> We've had a few discussions going on over here about how to
>>> handle AJAX integration while still keeping security in mind. It
>>> seems like providing a limited dispatcher that only allows
>>> certain groups of services to be invoked is a good thing. Lots of
>>> services are already userLogin and Role protected, which is a
>>> good headstart. Maybe a specific AJAX dispatcher that has only
>>> services which are already vetted exposed through it?
>>>
>>> It would also be nice to have a high level facility for invoking
>>> those services and then triggering their results to something
>>> like the Dojo event framework when they return. With something
>>> like Comet these events could even be initiated by the server as
>>> if you had made a call on the client and then the delivery events
>>> occured.

Re: json + prototype + ajax?

Andrew Zeneski
Leon,

The JSON wrapper is for one purpose, to return service results in a
lightweight compressed format for use by the Ajax javascript toolkit.
This rather than XML is faster and more efficient as well as supported
by all the toolkits I have see so far.

This is only useful when you are looking to get specific values from a
service call; and allows you to call existing services in your Ajax
front end.

One really nice way to use this would be for a simple upload widget.
Call the service directly through a request event and have the results
returned in an object ready for javascript to work with.

This also uses the internal service security methods for authentication
and validation. I think its a real clean way to integrate.

I will try to put together a simple example and check it into one of the
components, I will let you know when it is there.

The other side is pulling in pre-formatted HTML. When doing this the
HTML fragments should be configurable at least as much as the current
templates are configurable. I like the idea of using screen definitions
and FTL to generate this.

Actually, this can be used for most things; but why when all you need to
get back is an ID or some raw data. I think using a combination of these
two methods (with any Ajax toolkit) is a great start.

Andrew

Leon Torres wrote:

> I'd like to request before any votes go out that we see an actual
> implementation of something useful in JSON and Dojo.  I'm concerned that
> this approach is not lightweight enough for certain needs.
>
> First, it needs to support functionality that have a high rate of
> requests, such as autocomplete.  This is critical.
>
> Second, the OFBiz AJAX system needs to be shallow and malleable.  By
> shallow, I mean it should not have too many layers of complexity,
> abstraction or indirection.  By malleable, I mean it should be easy to
> customize and build new effects or features for.  Without these traits,
> it becomes difficult to develop and debug custom Ajax features.
>
> The reason I went with prototype was because of how easy it was to
> implement autocomplete in the form widget:  It takes just two dozen
> lines of Javascript, some standard HTML form elements, and a standard
> Servlet method to process the autocomplete.  And the requests are very
> fast, using the "ftl" handler.  No special magic was required, just to
> load the required .js libraries.
>
> But this talk about having to write a JSON service event handler
> concerns me. If someone could demonstrate that it will be just as simple
> and straightforward, that would be great.
>
> - Leon
>

> A. Zeneski wrote:
>> Ean,
>>
>> When I implemented a test case using the new JSON service event handler
>> I found that the requests behaved just like any other HTTP request. The
>> security part is transparent, you require auth (but not HTTPS) for
>> events which will be Ajax-Enabled. This uses the user login object found
>> in the session (due to the fact that the url for the Ajax request is
>> wrapped around <@ofbizUrl> tags) and the service engine handles the
>> security.
>>
>> For screen based (non-JSON) responses, I think the security handling
>> should be up to the page returned, just like any other page in OFBiz.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Andrew
>>
>> Ean Schuessler wrote:

>>> We've had a few discussions going on over here about how to handle
>>> AJAX integration while still keeping security in mind. It seems like
>>> providing a limited dispatcher that only allows certain groups of
>>> services to be invoked is a good thing. Lots of services are already
>>> userLogin and Role protected, which is a good headstart. Maybe a
>>> specific AJAX dispatcher that has only services which are already
>>> vetted exposed through it?
>>>
>>> It would also be nice to have a high level facility for invoking
>>> those services and then triggering their results to something like
>>> the Dojo event framework when they return. With something like Comet
>>> these events could even be initiated by the server as if you had made
>>> a call on the client and then the delivery events occured.

Re: json + prototype + ajax?

Chandresh Turakhia
Dear all,

Nice read... can help Ofbiz decide or atleast debate what they need. Bad thing is there is no section for XAL.

Exploring Ajax Runtime Offerings

http://dev2dev.bea.com/pub/a/2006/11/exploring-ajax.html

http://dev2dev.bea.com/lpt/a/542

Nexaweb had jRex and help XAL - Apache Project. ( jRex is great , but could not see on the site anymore :( ).

My pick for Ajax

(1) Declarative
(2) Java Based
(3) Server Side
(4) Open Source :)

Nice to support Compound Document ... Helps evolutionary adding new tags and HTML code is reused.

Chand

> Ooops Dojo is supported by IBM & AOL ....so I will prefer Dojo.
>
> http://dojotoolkit.org/foundation/
>

>> What we are doing is
>>
>> (1) Write code in xal/ nxml format.
>> (2) reUse the screen freemaker code
>> (3) Merge both of them.
>>
>> e.g. registration ; login ;
>>
>> help people to convert HTML to XAL + HTML in few screens.
>>

>> Chand
>>

>>> Sorry,
>>>
>>> For not getting back to you right away.  I had my spam
>> filter set to
>>> high and it blocked this message.
>>>
>>> Currently I don't believe any one has used either XAP or
>> Nexaweb with
>>> OFBiz. That being said, XAP and Nexaweb could be used
>> easily.  I could
>>> see a couple places for it to be used: 1.) On the
>> management of the
>>> eCommerce 2.) In the actual eCommerce front end.
>>>
>>> I would like to help with working out who we (XAP and
>> OFBiz) could
>>> collaborate in some projects.
>>>
>>> If users want to enhance features of OFBiz with XAP
>> functionality, a
>>> good way to start would be to use the xModify portion of
>> XAP, to modify
>>> the HTML DOM asynchronously.  This is very easy to use.
>> I have written
>>> up an explanation of how to do this.
>>>
>>> http://www.rockstarapps.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?
>> n=XAP.Rssreader
>>>
>>> XAP widget library may also be helpful and there are
>> sample on the xap
>>> website, on how to use this.
>>>
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/xap
>>>

>>> Bob (Buffone)

Re: json + prototype + ajax?

I don't know much about Ajax and Dojo and such. But IMHO this is a very important point.
Chris (or anybody aware ;o) do you know how exactly this is achieved ?

From: "Chris Howe" <[hidden email]>
> I'm not sure about the other toolkits, but when I
> looked around for some implementation ideas, I like
> the fact that one of Dojo's precepts is to degrade
> when not JS is turned off.  This may be true of other
> toolkits as well, but Dojo states it specifically.

Re: json + prototype + ajax?

Jean-Sébastien HEDERER
I may think that OFBiz widgets compatibility is a very important point.
That's I think that declarative ajax framework would be of simplier
integration

"Jacques Le Roux" a écrit le 14/12/2006 10:18 :

> I don't know much about Ajax and Dojo and such. But IMHO this is a very important point.
> Chris (or anybody aware ;o) do you know how exactly this is achieved ?

> From: "Chris Howe" <[hidden email]>
>
>> I'm not sure about the other toolkits, but when I
>> looked around for some implementation ideas, I like
>> the fact that one of Dojo's precepts is to degrade
>> when not JS is turned off.  This may be true of other
>> toolkits as well, but Dojo states it specifically.

Re: json + prototype + ajax?

cjhowe
Also in regards to the comments in OFBIZ-510 :

The ability to degrade doesn't solve itself simply
because you're using Dojo or any other toolkit that is
designed to degrade.  You still need to have the
functionality on your page.

Degrading essentially means that the javascript simply
increases functionality, the javascript isn't
replacing functionality.  Dojo does this because the
javascript actions are identified either by css
classes or by additional attributes in the tag that
mean nothing to the browser that hasn't received any
instruction from javascript.

There are a lot of places that utilize javascript in
OFBiz.  For instance the calendar popups.  The JS
degrades here because you can still enter date/time
information without the popup.  On the JIRA page, the
functionality of adding a comment doesn't degrade and
I'm sure the people at Atlassian would like to know
that.  This appears to be based on their custom JS
additions, not on the parts of OFBiz they are using.

In a checkout process you would degrade the JS by
having form submits that actually go to the next step,
but have the JS disable that submit button.  By doing
that if there is JS, the form doesn't get submitted in
the traditional manner but instead the JS handles the
next sequence.  If JS is disabled, then there is
nothing there to disable the submit button and the
form information gets sent for processing like it
always has.

This is a great place for an AJAX type solution
because the checkout logic is based only on updating
the ShoppingCart object and not on entering
information in the database.

--- Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I don't know much about Ajax and Dojo and such. But
> IMHO this is a very important point.
> Chris (or anybody aware ;o) do you know how exactly
> this is achieved ?

> From: "Chris Howe" <[hidden email]>
> > I'm not sure about the other toolkits, but when I
> > looked around for some implementation ideas, I
> like
> > the fact that one of Dojo's precepts is to degrade
> > when not JS is turned off.  This may be true of
> other
> > toolkits as well, but Dojo states it specifically.

Re: json + prototype + ajax?

Thanks Chris,

This is really clear to me now :o)

Jacques

> Also in regards to the comments in OFBIZ-510 :
>
> The ability to degrade doesn't solve itself simply
> because you're using Dojo or any other toolkit that is
> designed to degrade.  You still need to have the
> functionality on your page.
>
> Degrading essentially means that the javascript simply
> increases functionality, the javascript isn't
> replacing functionality.  Dojo does this because the
> javascript actions are identified either by css
> classes or by additional attributes in the tag that
> mean nothing to the browser that hasn't received any
> instruction from javascript.
>
> There are a lot of places that utilize javascript in
> OFBiz.  For instance the calendar popups.  The JS
> degrades here because you can still enter date/time
> information without the popup.  On the JIRA page, the
> functionality of adding a comment doesn't degrade and
> I'm sure the people at Atlassian would like to know
> that.  This appears to be based on their custom JS
> additions, not on the parts of OFBiz they are using.
>
> In a checkout process you would degrade the JS by
> having form submits that actually go to the next step,
> but have the JS disable that submit button.  By doing
> that if there is JS, the form doesn't get submitted in
> the traditional manner but instead the JS handles the
> next sequence.  If JS is disabled, then there is
> nothing there to disable the submit button and the
> form information gets sent for processing like it
> always has.
>
> This is a great place for an AJAX type solution
> because the checkout logic is based only on updating
> the ShoppingCart object and not on entering
> information in the database.
>

> --- Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I don't know much about Ajax and Dojo and such. But
> > IMHO this is a very important point.
> > Chris (or anybody aware ;o) do you know how exactly
> > this is achieved ?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jacques
> >
> > From: "Chris Howe" <[hidden email]>
> > > I'm not sure about the other toolkits, but when I
> > > looked around for some implementation ideas, I
> > like
> > > the fact that one of Dojo's precepts is to degrade
> > > when not JS is turned off.  This may be true of
> > other
> > > toolkits as well, but Dojo states it specifically.

Re: json + prototype + ajax?

Hi all,

I found this article very interesting notably the Client-centric vs. server-centric approach and in this the table comparing Ajax
frameworks.

I tried Echo2 demo, a new world ?

Jacques

> Ooops Dojo is supported by IBM & AOL ....so I will prefer Dojo.
>
> http://dojotoolkit.org/foundation/
>

>> What we are doing is
>>
>> (1) Write code in xal/ nxml format.
>> (2) reUse the screen freemaker code
>> (3) Merge both of them.
>>
>> e.g. registration ; login ;
>>
>> help people to convert HTML to XAL + HTML in few screens.
>>

>> Chand
>>

>>> Sorry,
>>>
>>> For not getting back to you right away.  I had my spam
>> filter set to
>>> high and it blocked this message.
>>>
>>> Currently I don't believe any one has used either XAP or
>> Nexaweb with
>>> OFBiz. That being said, XAP and Nexaweb could be used
>> easily.  I could
>>> see a couple places for it to be used: 1.) On the
>> management of the
>>> eCommerce 2.) In the actual eCommerce front end.
>>>
>>> I would like to help with working out who we (XAP and
>> OFBiz) could
>>> collaborate in some projects.
>>>
>>> If users want to enhance features of OFBiz with XAP
>> functionality, a
>>> good way to start would be to use the xModify portion of
>> XAP, to modify
>>> the HTML DOM asynchronously.  This is very easy to use.
>> I have written
>>> up an explanation of how to do this.
>>>
>>> http://www.rockstarapps.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?
>> n=XAP.Rssreader
>>>
>>> XAP widget library may also be helpful and there are
>> sample on the xap
>>> website, on how to use this.
>>>
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/xap
>>>

>>> Bob (Buffone)

Here are my two cents about this interesting thread:

1) the Ajax toolkit's license must be fully compatible with the OFBiz
license
2) even if it's a good thing to try to find one official Ajax toolkit
for OFBiz now and finally get this ball running, I think we should do
this but also review the decision (and the results we'll get with the
adopted framework) in 2-4 months from now and possibly return on it; I
mean that we should keep an open-minded approach and also consider new
solutions (or criticism to the adopted toolkit) since I think that in
the Ajax world the effects of the 'software darwinism'
(http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#SoftwareDarwinism) still
are not mature

Jacopo

A. Zeneski wrote:

> I'll let this thread run a little while longer before we say to have a
> full official vote. As of right now, it appears most people are looking
> at Dojo, and that is fine with me.
>
> It seems that most of these toolkits do the same thing, so to me its
> just a matter of making a decision so I can push forward with my work.
>
> As for being more active on the lists, sorry I have been MIA for so
> long. I've been involved in a lot of custom (non open source) work as of
> late and apologize for not being around. I will do my best to be here as
> much as possible. Thanks!
>
> Andrew

Re: json + prototype + ajax?

I totally agree with these POV !

Jacques

> Here are my two cents about this interesting thread:
>
> 1) the Ajax toolkit's license must be fully compatible with the OFBiz
> license
> 2) even if it's a good thing to try to find one official Ajax toolkit
> for OFBiz now and finally get this ball running, I think we should do
> this but also review the decision (and the results we'll get with the
> adopted framework) in 2-4 months from now and possibly return on it; I
> mean that we should keep an open-minded approach and also consider new
> solutions (or criticism to the adopted toolkit) since I think that in
> the Ajax world the effects of the 'software darwinism'
> (http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#SoftwareDarwinism) still
> are not mature
>
> Jacopo
>
> A. Zeneski wrote:
> > I'll let this thread run a little while longer before we say to have a
> > full official vote. As of right now, it appears most people are looking
> > at Dojo, and that is fine with me.
> >
> > It seems that most of these toolkits do the same thing, so to me its
> > just a matter of making a decision so I can push forward with my work.
> >
> > As for being more active on the lists, sorry I have been MIA for so
> > long. I've been involved in a lot of custom (non open source) work as of
> > late and apologize for not being around. I will do my best to be here as
> > much as possible. Thanks!
> >
> > Andrew

Re: json + prototype + ajax?

Tim Ruppert
I would certainly love to see the highly useful Anonymous Checkout
Process example used in OFBiz - at least until someone else comes up
with a good reason to remove Dojo and go to a different front end
framewok.  Does anyone have any real objections to doing this in
light of the fact that no one has another example _and_ that the
checkout process is unnecessarily tedious?

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6594

On Dec 15, 2006, at 12:07 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> Here are my two cents about this interesting thread:
>
> 1) the Ajax toolkit's license must be fully compatible with the
> OFBiz license
> 2) even if it's a good thing to try to find one official Ajax
> toolkit for OFBiz now and finally get this ball running, I think we
> should do this but also review the decision (and the results we'll
> get with the adopted framework) in 2-4 months from now and possibly
> return on it; I mean that we should keep an open-minded approach
> and also consider new solutions (or criticism to the adopted
> toolkit) since I think that in the Ajax world the effects of the
> 'software darwinism' (http://www.apache.org/foundation/
> glossary.html#SoftwareDarwinism) still are not mature
>
> Jacopo
>
> A. Zeneski wrote:
>> I'll let this thread run a little while longer before we say to
>> have a
>> full official vote. As of right now, it appears most people are
>> looking
>> at Dojo, and that is fine with me.
>> It seems that most of these toolkits do the same thing, so to me its
>> just a matter of making a decision so I can push forward with my
>> work.
>> As for being more active on the lists, sorry I have been MIA for so
>> long. I've been involved in a lot of custom (non open source) work
>> as of
>> late and apologize for not being around. I will do my best to be
>> here as
>> much as possible. Thanks!
>> Andrew

Re: json + prototype + ajax?

cjhowe
Tim,

To your post
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-510#action_12458496

I would want to see it degrade.  The fact that SVN
OFBiz does not degrade should not be support to
introduce more code that follows a poor pattern.  The
current state of OFBiz not being able to add to cart
when JS is turned off needs to be reported as a bug
and fixed.

Wanting to see this degrade should especially be true
for a functionality of "Anonymous" checkout.  This
means you're wanting to sell product to random people.
 So, if you're wanting to sell to random people, you
would want to lower the barriers as far as possible
for them to use your site.  Good web surfing practice
is to white list JS for sites that you trust.  This is
especially true in  corporate environments.

So to summarize, my two cents would be to report the
add to cart bug to JIRA, fix OFBiz's SVN of this
pattern and degrade the JS in the anonymous checkout
patch.  But to quickly see this kind of functionality
into OFBiz, I would prefer to see it added to a
sandbox so that others could help work out these
peculiarities.

--- Tim Ruppert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would certainly love to see the highly useful
> Anonymous Checkout
> Process example used in OFBiz - at least until
> someone else comes up
> with a good reason to remove Dojo and go to a
> different front end
> framewok.  Does anyone have any real objections to
> doing this in
> light of the fact that no one has another example
> _and_ that the
> checkout process is unnecessarily tedious?
>
> Cheers,
> Tim
> --
> Tim Ruppert
> HotWax Media
> http://www.hotwaxmedia.com
>
> o:801.649.6594
> f:801.649.6594
>

> On Dec 15, 2006, at 12:07 AM, Jacopo Cappellato
> wrote:
>
> > Here are my two cents about this interesting
> thread:
> >
> > 1) the Ajax toolkit's license must be fully
> compatible with the
> > OFBiz license
> > 2) even if it's a good thing to try to find one
> official Ajax
> > toolkit for OFBiz now and finally get this ball
> running, I think we
> > should do this but also review the decision (and
> the results we'll
> > get with the adopted framework) in 2-4 months from
> now and possibly
> > return on it; I mean that we should keep an
> open-minded approach
> > and also consider new solutions (or criticism to
> the adopted
> > toolkit) since I think that in the Ajax world the
> effects of the
> > 'software darwinism'
> (http://www.apache.org/foundation/
> > glossary.html#SoftwareDarwinism) still are not
> mature
> >
> > Jacopo
> >
> > A. Zeneski wrote:
> >> I'll let this thread run a little while longer
> before we say to
> >> have a
> >> full official vote. As of right now, it appears
> most people are
> >> looking
> >> at Dojo, and that is fine with me.
> >> It seems that most of these toolkits do the same
> thing, so to me its
> >> just a matter of making a decision so I can push
> forward with my
> >> work.
> >> As for being more active on the lists, sorry I
> have been MIA for so
> >> long. I've been involved in a lot of custom (non
> open source) work
> >> as of
> >> late and apologize for not being around. I will
> do my best to be
> >> here as
> >> much as possible. Thanks!
> >> Andrew

Re: json + prototype + ajax?

Tim Ruppert
Chris, JavaScript is ingrained in just about anything that submits
forms anymore.  I could understand saying something like this about
Flash - however my mind is changing on that as well - but saying that
you have to be able to manage something as complicated as the feature
set that OFBiz employs without JavaScript is almost like saying - not
everyone is off of Netscape 4.x and we need to set the bar _that_ low
for our CSS/HTML standardization.

My vote for this is to move forward, not hang back.  JavaScript, as
much as I'm not a huge fan, is a reality in todays world - and the
use of of DOES NOT make the code bug filled.

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Ruppert