json + prototype + ajax?

Re: json + prototype + ajax?

Tim Ruppert
And btw, the old cart, used JavaScript all the time.  Why is this
just coming up now?  Why don't we figure out a parallel solution for
other people who want to turn of JavaScript - instead of holding
everyone back?

My 2cents

On Dec 15, 2006, at 8:27 AM, Tim Ruppert wrote:

> Chris, JavaScript is ingrained in just about anything that submits
> forms anymore.  I could understand saying something like this about
> Flash - however my mind is changing on that as well - but saying
> that you have to be able to manage something as complicated as the
> feature set that OFBiz employs without JavaScript is almost like
> saying - not everyone is off of Netscape 4.x and we need to set the
> bar _that_ low for our CSS/HTML standardization.
>
> My vote for this is to move forward, not hang back.  JavaScript, as
> much as I'm not a huge fan, is a reality in todays world - and the
> use of of DOES NOT make the code bug filled.
>
> Cheers,
> Tim
> --
> Tim Ruppert
> HotWax Media
> http://www.hotwaxmedia.com
>
> o:801.649.6594
> f:801.649.6594
>

> On Dec 15, 2006, at 8:07 AM, Chris Howe wrote:
>
>> Tim,
>>
>> To your post
>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-510#action_12458496
>>
>> I would want to see it degrade.  The fact that SVN
>> OFBiz does not degrade should not be support to
>> introduce more code that follows a poor pattern.  The
>> current state of OFBiz not being able to add to cart
>> when JS is turned off needs to be reported as a bug
>> and fixed.
>>
>> Wanting to see this degrade should especially be true
>> for a functionality of "Anonymous" checkout.  This
>> means you're wanting to sell product to random people.
>>  So, if you're wanting to sell to random people, you
>> would want to lower the barriers as far as possible
>> for them to use your site.  Good web surfing practice
>> is to white list JS for sites that you trust.  This is
>> especially true in  corporate environments.
>>
>> So to summarize, my two cents would be to report the
>> add to cart bug to JIRA, fix OFBiz's SVN of this
>> pattern and degrade the JS in the anonymous checkout
>> patch.  But to quickly see this kind of functionality
>> into OFBiz, I would prefer to see it added to a
>> sandbox so that others could help work out these
>> peculiarities.
>>

>> --- Tim Ruppert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I would certainly love to see the highly useful
>>> Anonymous Checkout
>>> Process example used in OFBiz - at least until
>>> someone else comes up
>>> with a good reason to remove Dojo and go to a
>>> different front end
>>> framewok.  Does anyone have any real objections to
>>> doing this in
>>> light of the fact that no one has another example
>>> _and_ that the
>>> checkout process is unnecessarily tedious?

> [...]

Re: json + prototype + ajax?

Ashish Vijaywargiya-3
Interesting read to develop ajax based application components using Dojo +
JSON.

http://today.java.net/pub/a/today/2006/04/27/building-ajax-with-dojo-and-json.html

--
Regards
Ashish Vijaywargiya
Aditisoft Technology Laboratory

Re: json + prototype + ajax?

In theory I should agree with Chris, in practise I agree with Tim !

Indeed there are much more places where JS is used than cart, isn'it ?

On the other hand we should be aware that using JS everywhere and often should not be a best practice to adopt (OK it's already done
:(
Perhaps using it *only* thru an Ajax Framework maybe a solution in future ?

Jacques

> And btw, the old cart, used JavaScript all the time.  Why is this
> just coming up now?  Why don't we figure out a parallel solution for
> other people who want to turn of JavaScript - instead of holding
> everyone back?
>
> My 2cents
>
> On Dec 15, 2006, at 8:27 AM, Tim Ruppert wrote:
>
> > Chris, JavaScript is ingrained in just about anything that submits
> > forms anymore.  I could understand saying something like this about
> > Flash - however my mind is changing on that as well - but saying
> > that you have to be able to manage something as complicated as the
> > feature set that OFBiz employs without JavaScript is almost like
> > saying - not everyone is off of Netscape 4.x and we need to set the
> > bar _that_ low for our CSS/HTML standardization.
> >
> > My vote for this is to move forward, not hang back.  JavaScript, as
> > much as I'm not a huge fan, is a reality in todays world - and the
> > use of of DOES NOT make the code bug filled.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Tim
> > --
> > Tim Ruppert
> > HotWax Media
> > http://www.hotwaxmedia.com
> >
> > o:801.649.6594
> > f:801.649.6594
> >

> > On Dec 15, 2006, at 8:07 AM, Chris Howe wrote:
> >
> >> Tim,
> >>
> >> To your post
> >> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-510#action_12458496
> >>
> >> I would want to see it degrade.  The fact that SVN
> >> OFBiz does not degrade should not be support to
> >> introduce more code that follows a poor pattern.  The
> >> current state of OFBiz not being able to add to cart
> >> when JS is turned off needs to be reported as a bug
> >> and fixed.
> >>
> >> Wanting to see this degrade should especially be true
> >> for a functionality of "Anonymous" checkout.  This
> >> means you're wanting to sell product to random people.
> >>  So, if you're wanting to sell to random people, you
> >> would want to lower the barriers as far as possible
> >> for them to use your site.  Good web surfing practice
> >> is to white list JS for sites that you trust.  This is
> >> especially true in  corporate environments.
> >>
> >> So to summarize, my two cents would be to report the
> >> add to cart bug to JIRA, fix OFBiz's SVN of this
> >> pattern and degrade the JS in the anonymous checkout
> >> patch.  But to quickly see this kind of functionality
> >> into OFBiz, I would prefer to see it added to a
> >> sandbox so that others could help work out these
> >> peculiarities.

Re: json + prototype + ajax?

cjhowe
Tim,
Please don't construe my concerns as personal
criticisms. I very much want to see your ajax
contribution available in the code base, thus my
suggestion of the sandbox.   Using a sandbox alongside
the approach in FAQ 21 on the old wiki allows the core
business application to remain stable (and improve
stability where needed) and allow those who wish to
benefit from the added functionality.

The NoScript firefox extension is the 5th most popular
extension for Firefox.  Having websites that work with
Javascript turned off is not an approach to appease
Luddites.  I think this is a fairly normal demand
throughout the ecommerce world or else you would see
many more sites using Echo2 style frameworks (Echo2 is
simply beautiful, hugely functional and easy to
relatively easy to develop with and would be even more
so with a widget esque style approach, however it
renders only an html and body tag, no other html).
You don't see Echo2 style sites in abundance because
most companies want to be able to reach an audience
regardless of their Javascript security preference.

This is just coming up now because it would seem no
one in the community develops with JS turned off. The
same answer applies when you consider that only
recently pages in ecommerce have been fixed to render
correctly in IE.  Just because it's just now being
discovered, does not mean we should ignore it.

> [...]

> This
> >> means you're wanting to sell product to random
> people.
> >>  So, if you're wanting to sell to random people,
> you
> >> would want to lower the barriers as far as
> possible
> >> for them to use your site.  Good web surfing
> practice
> >> is to white list JS for sites that you trust.
> This is
> >> especially true in  corporate environments.
> >>
> >> So to summarize, my two cents would be to report
> the
> >> add to cart bug to JIRA, fix OFBiz's SVN of this
> >> pattern and degrade the JS in the anonymous
> checkout
> >> patch.  But to quickly see this kind of
> functionality
> >> into OFBiz, I would prefer to see it added to a
> >> sandbox so that others could help work out these

Re: json + prototype + ajax?

Ean Schuessler
On Friday 15 December 2006 09:32, Tim Ruppert wrote:
> And btw, the old cart, used JavaScript all the time.  Why is this
> just coming up now?  Why don't we figure out a parallel solution for
> other people who want to turn of JavaScript - instead of holding
> everyone back?

I tend to agree with you here. Trying to get parity on
Javascript/Non-javascript interface implementations is going to get very,
very daunting as the libraries keep getting more and more sophisticated.
Eventually, trying to write a server side widget component that matches what
you can do in the browser is going to be a ridiculous joke.

Still, its nice to have a simple interface that demonstrates how to handle
situations like a cell phone interface. Maybe what we need is a next
generation shopping application. In my opinion the one that rolls out with
OFBiz borders on being unusable for a customer deployment without extensive
modification.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
[hidden email]
Brainfood, Inc.
http://www.brainfood.com

Re: json + prototype + ajax?

David E Jones-2

On Dec 15, 2006, at 12:21 PM, Ean Schuessler wrote:

> On Friday 15 December 2006 09:32, Tim Ruppert wrote:
>> And btw, the old cart, used JavaScript all the time.  Why is this
>> just coming up now?  Why don't we figure out a parallel solution for
>> other people who want to turn of JavaScript - instead of holding
>> everyone back?
>
> I tend to agree with you here. Trying to get parity on
> Javascript/Non-javascript interface implementations is going to get
> very,
> very daunting as the libraries keep getting more and more
> sophisticated.
> Eventually, trying to write a server side widget component that
> matches what
> you can do in the browser is going to be a ridiculous joke.
>
> Still, its nice to have a simple interface that demonstrates how to
> handle
> situations like a cell phone interface. Maybe what we need is a next
> generation shopping application. In my opinion the one that rolls
> out with
> OFBiz borders on being unusable for a customer deployment without
> extensive
> modification.

BTW, I'm replying to Ean's message because it is the latest in this
thread, not necessarily because of anything said here, and these
thoughts are also based on previous messages not completely
represented here...

What Ean is mentioning here is the real problem. The ecommerce
component has seen a pretty anemic level of contributions over the
years and in recent history as well. There are really lots of
problems in the current stuff that have been there for years and have
never been fixed.

Some ideas like a sandbox that is somehow maintained and yet never
considered by anyone as a "supported" part of OFBiz and having lots
of parallel code and such are interesting, but require a level of
resources that I would shocked near to death to see. Realistically it
just hasn't happened before, ever.

In general the ecommerce webapp is meant to be a good starting point
and contributions should be meant to make it a better starting point.
If someone wants to use ecommerce OOTB then that should be possible,
but if there is a decision between making it easier to customize for
what people want to do, and easier to use OOTB, the first one wins
(easier to customize).

So, in my opinion this checkout stuff should go in somehow. I haven't
reviewed it but in its current state it may not be a good generic
replacement for the current anonymous, quick, or multi-step checkout
processes as many sites will want to use something more similar to
one of those. However, it is a nice example of an alternative and can
go in along with others. This is yet another example of something
that is a little ugly OOTB, but easy to remove and that makes it
easier to customize it to the "ultimate" checkout process according
to whatever your current client is imagining.

I have no problem with effort going into making things downgrade
elegantly to not require JS and other stuff, but so far I've seen
approximately 0 resources invested in action in that, and nothing
happens in OFBiz through discussion: it happens through action.

Re: json + prototype + ajax?

cjhowe

--- David E Jones <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Some ideas like a sandbox that is somehow maintained
> and yet never
> considered by anyone as a "supported" part of OFBiz
> and having lots
> of parallel code and such are interesting, but
> require a level of
> resources that I would shocked near to death to see.
> Realistically it
> just hasn't happened before, ever.

These efforts have largely failed in the past because
of several reasons, with two in particular.

1) Scope of implementation was too large.
If you're referring to the "specialized" components,
they were entire applications that didn't really
appeal to many deployments.  A sandbox is meant to
show off a particular feature or approach.  Very
similar to a JIRA issue except allowed to benefit from
an SVN and some structure.  When the demonstrated
functionality has matured it should be ported back
into the main components and removed from the sandbox.
 Sandbox applications should have a shelf life.

2) There wasn't a critical mass involved in the
community that felt they could manipulate OFBiz at
will as there are today.

I'd be happy to maintain this outside of OFBiz (and
will if it won't be maintained in OFBiz), but I think
it would have a greater chance of success inside OFBiz
being able to benefit from JIRA and the mailing lists.

123