newbie how to get a service into book-keeping

newbie how to get a service into book-keeping

ofbizlists
Hi,
How do I get a service into the books?
Here are my assertions: (correct me if I'm wrong)

1) A Product must be shipped or packed before an invoice is generated and the transaction put in the books.

2) A service (which is a special type of Product) cannot be shipped or packed.

So I must be missing something, if the only way to get the Order into the accounting books (convert it to a sale) is to ship it and a Service (product) cannot be shipped, then I cannot convert a Service into a sale.
is there some other mechanism to get the fulfillment of a service into the accounting books, ie convert a service into a sale?

Thanks Michael

Re: newbie how to get a service into book-keeping

BJ Freeman
need to know more about the service like is this something you do or
something someone else does that is not connected with ofbiz

[hidden email] sent the following on 8/3/2006 11:24 AM:

> Hi,
> How do I get a service into the books?
> Here are my assertions: (correct me if I'm wrong)
>
> 1) A Product must be shipped or packed before an invoice is generated and the transaction put in the books.
>
> 2) A service (which is a special type of Product) cannot be shipped or packed.
>
> So I must be missing something, if the only way to get the Order into the accounting books (convert it to a sale) is to ship it and a Service (product) cannot be shipped, then I cannot convert a Service into a sale.
> is there some other mechanism to get the fulfillment of a service into the accounting books, ie convert a service into a sale?
>
> Thanks Michael

Re: newbie how to get a service into book-keeping

ofbizlists
Thanks for the prompt reply!
Yes, the service is something that our company does. (Sorry for the ambiguity, I'm not referring to an ofbiz service in the ofbiz java/mini-lang/ECA sense of the term.)
To illustrate, we sell some Products, for example we sell some computers, and we offer some Services, for example we fix your computer if it's broken. We charge for the Products and Services. So I can enter a new Product and ship it (a new PC)and enter a payment and see all the workings in the accounting books. But if I create a new Product that is a Service, does it make sense to 'ship' that Service? like this:
Catalog | Main | Create New Product | <enter some info here> ... Product Type dropdown: I choose Service | give it a price, put it in a category and a catalog etc

I place an order for that Product who's Product Type is Service. Go through the entire order process, when I finally get to the Order #WS12345 Information page, this order is still only an order, it isnt a sale, so it's not in the accounting books. What do I do next to convert this order into a sale? With a regular Product (Finished Good) I can ship it and it converts into a sale and I see it in the accounting books. However, with a Service, is it appropriate to 'ship' the service? Do I click on 'quick ship' to indicate that the service has been provided?

Thanks for your help. Michael

From: BJ Freeman <[hidden email]>

> need to know more about the service like is this something you do or
> something someone else does that is not connected with ofbiz
>
> [hidden email] sent the following on 8/3/2006 11:24 AM:
> > Hi,
> > How do I get a service into the books?
> > Here are my assertions: (correct me if I'm wrong)
> >
> > 1) A Product must be shipped or packed before an invoice is generated and the
> transaction put in the books.
> >
> > 2) A service (which is a special type of Product) cannot be shipped or packed.
> >
> > So I must be missing something, if the only way to get the Order into the
> accounting books (convert it to a sale) is to ship it and a Service (product)
> cannot be shipped, then I cannot convert a Service into a sale.
> > is there some other mechanism to get the fulfillment of a service into the
> accounting books, ie convert a service into a sale?
> >
> > Thanks Michael

Re: newbie how to get a service into book-keeping

ofbizlists
Here is the error when I try to quick ship a Product who's Product Type Id is Service. I can post more of the log if you like. I dont get the ProductAverageCost problem with a regular Product? BTW, I have already added a Price Type: Average Cost, Purpose: Purchase/Initial. Do I have to link it to Party Company?

Thanks again for the help. Michael

The Following Errors Occurred:

    * ERROR: Could not complete the Sub-method used by quickShip methods to create a shipment [file:/C:/dev/opentaps-0.9.0/applications/product/script/org/ofbiz/shipment/shipment/ShipmentServices.xml#createShipmentForFacilityAndShipGroup] process [problem invoking the [updateShipment] service with the map named [packedContext] containing [[shipmentId=10080, statusId=SHIPMENT_SHIPPED, userLogin=[GenericEntity:UserLogin][createdStamp,2006-06-23 18:42:10.047(java.sql.Timestamp)][createdTxStamp,2006-06-23 18:42:09.578(java.sql.Timestamp)][currentPassword,47ca69ebb4bdc9ae0adec130880165d2cc05db1a(java.lang.String)][disabledDateTime,null()][enabled,Y(java.lang.String)][hasLoggedOut,N(java.lang.String)][isSystem,null()][lastCurrencyUom,null()][lastLocale,null()][lastUpdatedStamp,2006-07-07 11:29:30.326(java.sql.Timestamp)][lastUpdatedTxStamp,2006-07-07 11:29:30.326(java.sql.Timestamp)][partyId,admin(java.lang.String)][passwordHint,null()][successiveFailedLogins,null()][userLoginId,ad
 min(ja
va.lang.String)], locale=en_US]]: Problems with the transaction. (The current transaction is marked for rollback, not beginning a new transaction and aborting current operation; the rollbackOnly was caused by: Service Error [postShipmentToGl]: No ProductAverageCost found for productId [MAXSP-OPT-0011] and organization [Company].)]

From: [hidden email]

> Thanks for the prompt reply!
> Yes, the service is something that our company does. (Sorry for the ambiguity,
> I'm not referring to an ofbiz service in the ofbiz java/mini-lang/ECA sense of
> the term.)
> To illustrate, we sell some Products, for example we sell some computers, and we
> offer some Services, for example we fix your computer if it's broken. We charge
> for the Products and Services. So I can enter a new Product and ship it (a new
> PC)and enter a payment and see all the workings in the accounting books. But if
> I create a new Product that is a Service, does it make sense to 'ship' that
> Service? like this:
> Catalog | Main | Create New Product | <enter some info here> ... Product Type
> dropdown: I choose Service | give it a price, put it in a category and a catalog
> etc
>
> I place an order for that Product who's Product Type is Service. Go through the
> entire order process, when I finally get to the Order #WS12345 Information page,
> this order is still only an order, it isnt a sale, so it's not in the accounting
> books. What do I do next to convert this order into a sale? With a regular
> Product (Finished Good) I can ship it and it converts into a sale and I see it
> in the accounting books. However, with a Service, is it appropriate to 'ship'
> the service? Do I click on 'quick ship' to indicate that the service has been
> provided?
>
> Thanks for your help. Michael

Si Chen-2
No, that product price is not the product average cost.  Product
average cost is calculated as the average cost of inventory items
received.

The financials module should be modified to use a standard cost if no
average cost is found.  This would work better for your needs and
make it a little more flexible.  You can set up standard costs in
Products > Costs.

I'll add it as a TODO.

In the meantime, you can go into WebTools > entity data maintenance
and manually insert a ProductAverageCost.  Sorry.

Si

Si,
Thank you, that worked like a charm!

Michael

From: Si Chen <[hidden email]>

> No, that product price is not the product average cost.  Product
> average cost is calculated as the average cost of inventory items
> received.
>
> The financials module should be modified to use a standard cost if no
> average cost is found.  This would work better for your needs and
> make it a little more flexible.  You can set up standard costs in
> Products > Costs.
>
> I'll add it as a TODO.
>
> In the meantime, you can go into WebTools > entity data maintenance
> and manually insert a ProductAverageCost.  Sorry.
>
> Si
>

> On Aug 3, 2006, at 12:49 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > Here is the error when I try to quick ship a Product who's Product
> > Type Id is Service. I can post more of the log if you like. I dont
> > get the ProductAverageCost problem with a regular Product? BTW, I
> > have already added a Price Type: Average Cost, Purpose: Purchase/
> > Initial. Do I have to link it to Party Company?
> >
> > Thanks again for the help. Michael
> >
> > The Following Errors Occurred:
> >
> >     * ERROR: Could not complete the Sub-method used by quickShip
> > methods to create a shipment [file:/C:/dev/opentaps-0.9.0/
> > applications/product/script/org/ofbiz/shipment/shipment/
> > ShipmentServices.xml#createShipmentForFacilityAndShipGroup] process
> > [problem invoking the [updateShipment] service with the map named
> > [packedContext] containing [[shipmentId=10080,
> > statusId=SHIPMENT_SHIPPED, userLogin=[GenericEntity:UserLogin]
> > [createdStamp,2006-06-23 18:42:10.047(java.sql.Timestamp)]
> > [createdTxStamp,2006-06-23 18:42:09.578(java.sql.Timestamp)]
> > [currentPassword,47ca69ebb4bdc9ae0adec130880165d2cc05db1a
> > (java.lang.String)][disabledDateTime,null()][enabled,Y
> > (java.lang.String)][hasLoggedOut,N(java.lang.String)][isSystem,null
> > ()][lastCurrencyUom,null()][lastLocale,null()][lastUpdatedStamp,
> > 2006-07-07 11:29:30.326(java.sql.Timestamp)][lastUpdatedTxStamp,
> > 2006-07-07 11:29:30.326(java.sql.Timestamp)][partyId,admin
> > (java.lang.String)][passwordHint,null()][successiveFailedLogins,null
> > ()][userLoginId,ad
> >  min(ja
> > va.lang.String)], locale=en_US]]: Problems with the transaction.
> > (The current transaction is marked for rollback, not beginning a
> > new transaction and aborting current operation; the rollbackOnly
> > was caused by: Service Error [postShipmentToGl]: No
> > ProductAverageCost found for productId [MAXSP-OPT-0011] and
> > organization [Company].)]

Hey -

we made a fix in financials.  Try it now?

Si

On Aug 3, 2006, at 11:24 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
> How do I get a service into the books?
> Here are my assertions: (correct me if I'm wrong)
>
> 1) A Product must be shipped or packed before an invoice is
> generated and the transaction put in the books.
>
> 2) A service (which is a special type of Product) cannot be shipped
> or packed.
>
> So I must be missing something, if the only way to get the Order
> into the accounting books (convert it to a sale) is to ship it and
> a Service (product) cannot be shipped, then I cannot convert a
> Service into a sale.
> is there some other mechanism to get the fulfillment of a service
> into the accounting books, ie convert a service into a sale?
>
> Thanks Michael

Re: newbie how to get a service into book-keeping

Walter Vaughan
Si Chen wrote:

> we made a fix in financials.  Try it now?

There is some sort of disconnect between svn-financials and svn-ofbiz.

When I emptied out my ofbiz installation and installed ofbiz from incubator svn
and new financials from opentaps I get this when running ant...

BUILD FAILED
/usr/local/ofbiz/ofbiz/build.xml:97: The following error occurred while
executing this line:
/usr/local/ofbiz/ofbiz/hot-deploy/financials/build.xml:95:
/usr/local/ofbiz/ofbiz/base/lib not found.

(yes, the double ofbiz is correct)

I even set ofbiz.dir in the build.xml as instructed, and it still happened.
Then it hit me, I don't have a base/lib directory

# ls -l
total 82
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   9599 Aug  4 16:41 .classpath
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel    364 Aug  4 16:41 .project
drwxr-xr-x   7 root  wheel    512 Aug  4 16:41 .svn
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   4193 Aug  4 16:41 APACHE2_HEADER
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   4567 Aug  4 16:41 OPTIONAL_LIBRARIES
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel    920 Aug  4 16:41 ant
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel    916 Aug  4 16:41 ant.bat
drwxr-xr-x  15 root  wheel    512 Aug  4 16:36 applications
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   8360 Aug  4 16:41 build.xml
drwxr-xr-x  26 root  wheel   1024 Aug  4 16:41 framework
drwxr-xr-x   4 root  wheel    512 Aug  4 17:18 hot-deploy
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   1043 Aug  4 16:41 ij.ofbiz
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel  23439 Aug  4 17:23 ofbiz.jar
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   3604 Aug  4 16:41 rc.ofbiz
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   1158 Aug  4 16:41 startofbiz.bat
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   1482 Aug  4 16:41 startofbiz.sh
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   1295 Aug  4 16:41 stopofbiz.sh

The lines in question from the financial's build.xml are the bottom three
  <target name="classpath">
         <path id="local.class.path">
             <fileset dir="${ofbiz.dir}/base/lib" includes="*.jar"/>
             <fileset dir="${ofbiz.dir}/base/lib/commons" includes="*.jar"/>
             <fileset dir="${ofbiz.dir}/base/build/lib" includes="*.jar"/>

Is it alright to delete these, or should there be a base directory that has
libraries that are not in the framework or application directory path in the
current svn that is in the apache incubator svn of Apache OFBiz?

--
Walter

Re: newbie how to get a service into book-keeping

Jacopo Cappellato
Hi Walter,

the base component has been moved inside of the framework component.

Jacopo

Walter Vaughan wrote:

> Si Chen wrote:
>
>> we made a fix in financials.  Try it now?
>
> There is some sort of disconnect between svn-financials and svn-ofbiz.
>
> When I emptied out my ofbiz installation and installed ofbiz from
> incubator svn and new financials from opentaps I get this when running
> ant...
>
> BUILD FAILED
> /usr/local/ofbiz/ofbiz/build.xml:97: The following error occurred while
> executing this line:
> /usr/local/ofbiz/ofbiz/hot-deploy/financials/build.xml:95:
> /usr/local/ofbiz/ofbiz/base/lib not found.
>
> (yes, the double ofbiz is correct)
>
> I even set ofbiz.dir in the build.xml as instructed, and it still happened.
> Then it hit me, I don't have a base/lib directory
>
> # ls -l
> total 82
> -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   9599 Aug  4 16:41 .classpath
> -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel    364 Aug  4 16:41 .project
> drwxr-xr-x   7 root  wheel    512 Aug  4 16:41 .svn
> -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   4193 Aug  4 16:41 APACHE2_HEADER
> -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   4567 Aug  4 16:41 OPTIONAL_LIBRARIES
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel    920 Aug  4 16:41 ant
> -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel    916 Aug  4 16:41 ant.bat
> drwxr-xr-x  15 root  wheel    512 Aug  4 16:36 applications
> -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   8360 Aug  4 16:41 build.xml
> drwxr-xr-x  26 root  wheel   1024 Aug  4 16:41 framework
> drwxr-xr-x   4 root  wheel    512 Aug  4 17:18 hot-deploy
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   1043 Aug  4 16:41 ij.ofbiz
> -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel  23439 Aug  4 17:23 ofbiz.jar
> -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   3604 Aug  4 16:41 rc.ofbiz
> -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   1158 Aug  4 16:41 startofbiz.bat
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   1482 Aug  4 16:41 startofbiz.sh
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   1295 Aug  4 16:41 stopofbiz.sh
>
> The lines in question from the financial's build.xml are the bottom three
>  <target name="classpath">
>         <path id="local.class.path">
>             <fileset dir="${ofbiz.dir}/base/lib" includes="*.jar"/>
>             <fileset dir="${ofbiz.dir}/base/lib/commons" includes="*.jar"/>
>             <fileset dir="${ofbiz.dir}/base/build/lib" includes="*.jar"/>
>
> Is it alright to delete these, or should there be a base directory that
> has libraries that are not in the framework or application directory
> path in the current svn that is in the apache incubator svn of Apache
> OFBiz?
>
> --
> Walter

Re: newbie how to get a service into book-keeping

Si Chen-2
There is a patch file in the financials/ directory which you need to
patch the build.xml file with.

Si

Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> Hi Walter,
> the base component has been moved inside of the framework component.

Thanks. That was the trick. I just jammed "framework" in front of the offending
records in the finanacials build.xml and everything is hunky dory.

>> Si Chen wrote:
>>> we made a fix in financials.  Try it now?

Hopefully Si will see this thread and post instructions on his download site for
others to be aware of the movement of that directory or figure out some
automagic love.

>> There is some sort of disconnect between svn-financials and svn-ofbiz.
>>
>> When I emptied out my ofbiz installation and installed ofbiz from
>> incubator svn and new financials from opentaps I get this when running
>> ant...
>>
>> BUILD FAILED
>> /usr/local/ofbiz/ofbiz/build.xml:97: The following error occurred
>> while executing this line:
>> /usr/local/ofbiz/ofbiz/hot-deploy/financials/build.xml:95:
>> /usr/local/ofbiz/ofbiz/base/lib not found.
>>
>> (yes, the double ofbiz is correct)
>>
>> I even set ofbiz.dir in the build.xml as instructed, and it still
>> happened.
>> Then it hit me, I don't have a base/lib directory
>>
>> # ls -l
>> total 82
>> -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   9599 Aug  4 16:41 .classpath
>> -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel    364 Aug  4 16:41 .project
>> drwxr-xr-x   7 root  wheel    512 Aug  4 16:41 .svn
>> -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   4193 Aug  4 16:41 APACHE2_HEADER
>> -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   4567 Aug  4 16:41 OPTIONAL_LIBRARIES
>> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel    920 Aug  4 16:41 ant
>> -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel    916 Aug  4 16:41 ant.bat
>> drwxr-xr-x  15 root  wheel    512 Aug  4 16:36 applications
>> -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   8360 Aug  4 16:41 build.xml
>> drwxr-xr-x  26 root  wheel   1024 Aug  4 16:41 framework
>> drwxr-xr-x   4 root  wheel    512 Aug  4 17:18 hot-deploy
>> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   1043 Aug  4 16:41 ij.ofbiz
>> -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel  23439 Aug  4 17:23 ofbiz.jar
>> -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   3604 Aug  4 16:41 rc.ofbiz
>> -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   1158 Aug  4 16:41 startofbiz.bat
>> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   1482 Aug  4 16:41 startofbiz.sh
>> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   1295 Aug  4 16:41 stopofbiz.sh
>>
>> The lines in question from the financial's build.xml are the bottom three
>>  <target name="classpath">
>>         <path id="local.class.path">
>>             <fileset dir="${ofbiz.dir}/base/lib" includes="*.jar"/>
>>             <fileset dir="${ofbiz.dir}/base/lib/commons"
>> includes="*.jar"/>
>>             <fileset dir="${ofbiz.dir}/base/build/lib" includes="*.jar"/>

Modified to
<fileset dir="${ofbiz.dir}/framework/base/lib" includes="*.jar"/>
<fileset dir="${ofbiz.dir}/framework/base/lib/commons" includes="*.jar"/>
<fileset dir="${ofbiz.dir}/framework/base/build/lib" includes="*.jar"/>

Walter

Si Chen wrote:

> There is a patch file in the financials/ directory which you need to
> patch the build.xml file with.

Argh! A README.txt file. Stupid me. Gack.

Well, hopefully someone will glean something from my stupidity if they followed
this thread to the bitter end.

--
Walter