ofBiz for a Super Market

Thomas Jiji
Hi all,

Im getting ready to jump in OfBiz to build a supermarket E-Store
(Multi-Facility, Pick up-Delivery, recurrent Shopping lists, recipes).

I've been reading alot on ofBiz this past week but i still need a
confirmation for this issue.

1) Using the ofBiz Service Engine or any other form of API, is it
possible to build a Rich UI ( Lazslo, Flex ...) on top of that API ?

2)Has anyone seen a Supermarket e-store built on ofBiz, because i didnt
see one the the Project List

It would be much appreciated to get an answer back.

Thank you.

-- Thomas Jiji

Re: ofBiz for a Super Market

byersa
Thomas,

I have been doing a bit with Dojo (http://www.dojotoolkit.org) lately and I
recommend it. I think it will be possible to integrate the XML-based screen
widget technology with that toolkit, but I don't know how soon it will be
happening.

BTW, I have been adding bits and pieces of GIS functionality to OFBiz so you
could use GeoRSS (search in JIRA for GeoRSS) to work with Google Maps or
there is the skeleton of a WFS interface in OFBiz which would allow you to
get the long/lat values from other clients such as MapBuilder.

-Al

On 9/11/07, Thomas Jiji <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> Im getting ready to jump in OfBiz to build a supermarket E-Store
> (Multi-Facility, Pick up-Delivery, recurrent Shopping lists, recipes).
>
> I've been reading alot on ofBiz this past week but i still need a
> confirmation for this issue.
>

> 1) Using the ofBiz Service Engine or any other form of API, is it
> possible to build a Rich UI ( Lazslo, Flex ...) on top of that API ?
>

> 2)Has anyone seen a Supermarket e-store built on ofBiz, because i didnt
> see one the the Project List
>

> It would be much appreciated to get an answer back.
>

> Thank you.
>

> -- Thomas Jiji

Re: ofBiz for a Super Market

Brett
Thomas,

If you do use Flex or Lazlo you will need to access the services
through the ofbiz controller (presentation layer).

You will also have to re-implement existing funtionality in Flex/Lazlo
if you don't use ofbiz screens.

If you need to use a UI like flex I would isolate it to some key
funtionality and try to use existing apps where possible.

Brett

On 9/11/07, Al Byers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thomas,
>
> I have been doing a bit with Dojo (http://www.dojotoolkit.org) lately and I
> recommend it. I think it will be possible to integrate the XML-based screen
> widget technology with that toolkit, but I don't know how soon it will be
> happening.
>
> BTW, I have been adding bits and pieces of GIS functionality to OFBiz so you
> could use GeoRSS (search in JIRA for GeoRSS) to work with Google Maps or
> there is the skeleton of a WFS interface in OFBiz which would allow you to
> get the long/lat values from other clients such as MapBuilder.
>
> -Al
>
> On 9/11/07, Thomas Jiji <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >

> > Im getting ready to jump in OfBiz to build a supermarket E-Store
> > (Multi-Facility, Pick up-Delivery, recurrent Shopping lists, recipes).
> >
> > I've been reading alot on ofBiz this past week but i still need a
> > confirmation for this issue.
> >

> > 1) Using the ofBiz Service Engine or any other form of API, is it
> > possible to build a Rich UI ( Lazslo, Flex ...) on top of that API ?
> >

> > 2)Has anyone seen a Supermarket e-store built on ofBiz, because i didnt
> > see one the the Project List
> >

> > It would be much appreciated to get an answer back.
> >

> > Thank you.
> >

> > -- Thomas Jiji

Re: ofBiz for a Super Market

Did you have a look at the POS component ?

Jacques

RE: ofBiz for a Super Market

Thomas Jiji
Hi Jacques,

No i didnt, is this component in the OOTB package or it is available in
the community ? if so, where ?

Im assuming that Points of Service (POS) will help implement the
organization for each physical store ... Am I right ?

-Thomas

Did you have a look at the POS component ?

Jacques

RE: ofBiz for a Super Market

SkipDever
Thomas

The pos module is in the "specialpurpose" directory.  This is a standalone
module for Point of Sale, a fancy cash register.  It runs on a local machine
normally with a touch screen, cash drawer, scanner,  etc.  It fully supports
all these devices and in fact is fairly nifty.

Havealook with ant run-pos

It runs a standalone java client on the local machine.

The UI is plain looking, but don't underestimate it functionality by that.

Skip

Did you have a look at the POS component ?

Jacques

RE: ofBiz for a Super Market

Thomas Jiji
Thanks Skip for the clarification, but im not sure if I need it since my
project is only a web ordering system Type of E-Commerce. No Inventory,
no employees, no warehouse management, no cash transactions.

Here is the typical use case,

Client goes online, adds all his products to his cart and checks out,
chooses to pick up from a store or delivery from the closest store.

Then then order is emailed to the specific store and  the stockboy picks
and packs the order and the cashier charges it,  then its delivered or
picked-up.

So Does the POS component help build my project ?

Thanx

-Tom

Did you have a look at the POS component ?

Jacques

RE: ofBiz for a Super Market

SkipDever
Tom

Nope, the POS module runs on a local machine, not a web app.  It is
essentially a cash register that might be usable for walk in customers.

On the other hand, it sounds to me like you can use the eCommerce module for
your needs OOTB (with some possible look and feel mods).  the customer
facing ecommerce code is slick, complete, and easy to customize.

Using my newly acquired lingo, "AFAIK", there is nothing in Ofbiz that does
the "pick up from a store or delivery from the closest store" automacigally.
Assuming that the client fills in a a delivery address, it should be a
simple matter to add some logic to automatically choose the store at order
time.  Ofbiz supports multiple stores and multiple warehouses.

The backoffice UI is complete, but in my view, difficult to train users on
(unlike the ecommerce code which is slick).

Also, I admit my amazement that you can make money with an ecommerce grocery
store with "No Inventory, no employees, no warehouse management...".

You can checkout the ecommerce site here:

https://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/ecommerce/

and here's a commercial site built with Ofbiz

http://www.graciousstyle.com/

and here's a link to lots of users:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/Apache+OFBiz+User+List

Just imaging your products and probably the removal of the blog and forum
stuff.

Skip