potential problem to stop ofbiz with gradle

potential problem to stop ofbiz with gradle

Nicolas Malin-2

Hello,

Yesterday during the birt improvement I run the ofbiz with the command under linux :

$./gradlew build ofbizBackground

After some tests I correct the java code and want to stop ofbiz

$./gradlew "ofbiz -d"

Gradle build ofbiz and says ofbiz down. But after a analyze

$ ps aux | grep java
mnicolas 14946  5.4  9.1 4669464 734960 ?      Sl   11:16   1:49 /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/bin/java -Xms128M -Xmx1024M -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Duser.country=FR -Duser.language=fr -Duser.variant -cp /home/mnicolas/workspace/apache-ofbiz-git/build/libs/ofbiz.jar org.apache.ofbiz.base.start.Start

Hmm ofbiz wasn't down, I restarted the command, same result.

To solve I found two solutions :

* the Goodness kill command (he he he)

* Call directly the jar $java -jar build/libs/ofbiz.jar -d

I know that my call to ofbizBackground wasn't not a realistic production case, but I prefer to sharing this with the thinking about what is the best way to down ofbiz. Do we need use gradle but in this case why call build target, directly call the jar or by operating system order !

On the README.md whe have the example of gradlew "ofbiz --shutdown", please help me to found the better way :)

Nicolas

--
logoNrd
Nicolas Malin

8 rue des Déportés 37000 TOURS, 02 47 50 30 54
Apache OFBiz|The Apache Way|ofbiz-fr|réseau LE

Re: potential problem to stop ofbiz with gradle

taher
Hi Nicolas,

I cannot repeat this behavior. OFBiz is shutting down normally when I start it with ./gradlew ofbizBackground followed by ./gradlew "ofbiz --shutdown". Are you sure you got the environment setup correctly?

Cheers,

Taher Alkhateeb

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Nicolas Malin <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Gil Portenseigne

Hi Nicolas,

Did you try ./gradlew terminateOfbiz ?

I guess it's the good way to stop Ofbiz if background.

Gil

On 19/01/2017 12:00, Nicolas Malin wrote:

[...]

The trunk and stable demo work well and uses respectively the simple scripts you can find in tools\demo-backup

I though crossed and issue because the demo server runs several OFBiz instances with Gradle. I documented it there

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-7796?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=15758707#comment-15758707

This said a sole instance should not have any issue running in background, even also when using a portoffset, as stable-manual.sh shows

HTH

Jacques

Le 19/01/2017 à 12:17, Taher Alkhateeb a écrit :

> Hi Nicolas,
>
> I cannot repeat this behavior. OFBiz is shutting down normally when I start it with ./gradlew ofbizBackground followed by ./gradlew "ofbiz
> --shutdown". Are you sure you got the environment setup correctly?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Taher Alkhateeb
>
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Nicolas Malin <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     Yesterday during the birt improvement I run the ofbiz with the command under linux :
>
>     $./gradlew build ofbizBackground
>
>     After some tests I correct the java code and want to stop ofbiz
>
>     $./gradlew "ofbiz -d"
>
>     Gradle build ofbiz and says ofbiz down. But after a analyze
>
>     $ ps aux | grep java
>
>     mnicolas 14946  5.4  9.1 4669464 734960 ?      Sl   11:16   1:49 /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/bin/java -Xms128M -Xmx1024M -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Duser.country=FR -Duser.language=fr -Duser.variant -cp /home/mnicolas/workspace/apache-ofbiz-git/build/libs/ofbiz.jar org.apache.ofbiz.base.start.Start
>
>     Hmm ofbiz wasn't down, I restarted the command, same result.
>
>     To solve I found two solutions :
>
>     * the Goodness kill command (he he he)
>
>     * Call directly the jar $java -jar build/libs/ofbiz.jar -d
>
>     I know that my call to ofbizBackground wasn't not a realistic production case, but I prefer to sharing this with the thinking about what is the
>     best way to down ofbiz. Do we need use gradle but in this case why call build target, directly call the jar or by operating system order !
>
>     On the README.md whe have the example of gradlew "ofbiz --shutdown", please help me to found the better way :)
>
>     Nicolas
>
>     --
>     logoNrd <https://nereide.fr/> Nicolas Malin The apache way <http://theapacheway.com/> : *Openness* Technical decisions are made publicly
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>8 rue des Déportés 37000 TOURS, 02 47 50 30 54
>
>     Apache OFBiz <http://ofbiz.apache.org/>|The Apache Way <http://theapacheway.com/>|ofbiz-fr <http://www.ofbiz-fr.org/>|réseau LE
>     <http://www.libre-entreprise.org/>

Re: potential problem to stop ofbiz with gradle

Nicolas Malin-2
Hi

@Taher sorry for this another thread on the subject ! Yes an know that
my environment wasn't perfect, I just try to notify that when ofbiz
rebuild to stop it doesn't work completely. I already detected this with
ant, some time when you call an "ant stop" by a new ofbiz on an
currently running ofbiz, the order don't works and you need to call the
operating system to help you.

@Jacques Thanks for remind this issue, I will care off. I notified that
you call the jar directly on the debian script, maybe it's a potential
solution if we don't use gradle on a production server.

@Gil Thanks also for this remind, I forget the terminateOfbiz command.
Just after read it, It's a few strong to stop a process by kill -9 at
each time ^^, normally we use this drastic command for exceptional case

Nicolas

> The trunk and stable demo work well and uses respectively the simple
> scripts you can find in tools\demo-backup
>
> I though crossed and issue because the demo server runs several OFBiz
> instances with Gradle. I documented it there
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-7796?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=15758707#comment-15758707
>

> This said a sole instance should not have any issue running in
> background, even also when using a portoffset, as stable-manual.sh shows
>
> HTH
>
> Jacques
>

> Le 19/01/2017 à 12:17, Taher Alkhateeb a écrit :
>> Hi Nicolas,
>>
>> I cannot repeat this behavior. OFBiz is shutting down normally when I
>> start it with ./gradlew ofbizBackground followed by ./gradlew "ofbiz
>> --shutdown". Are you sure you got the environment setup correctly?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Taher Alkhateeb
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Nicolas Malin
>>
>>     Hello,
>>
>>     Yesterday during the birt improvement I run the ofbiz with the
>> command under linux :
>>
>>     $./gradlew build ofbizBackground
>>
>>     After some tests I correct the java code and want to stop ofbiz
>>
>>     $./gradlew "ofbiz -d"
>>
>>     Gradle build ofbiz and says ofbiz down. But after a analyze
>>
>>     $ ps aux | grep java
>>
>>     mnicolas 14946  5.4  9.1 4669464 734960 ?      Sl   11:16 1:49
>> /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/bin/java -Xms128M -Xmx1024M
>> -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Duser.country=FR -Duser.language=fr
>> -Duser.variant -cp
>> /home/mnicolas/workspace/apache-ofbiz-git/build/libs/ofbiz.jar
>> org.apache.ofbiz.base.start.Start
>>
>>     Hmm ofbiz wasn't down, I restarted the command, same result.
>>
>>     To solve I found two solutions :
>>
>>     * the Goodness kill command (he he he)
>>
>>     * Call directly the jar $java -jar build/libs/ofbiz.jar -d
>>
>>     I know that my call to ofbizBackground wasn't not a realistic
>> production case, but I prefer to sharing this with the thinking about
>> what is the
>>     best way to down ofbiz. Do we need use gradle but in this case
>> why call build target, directly call the jar or by operating system
>> order !
>>
>>     On the README.md whe have the example of gradlew "ofbiz
>> --shutdown", please help me to found the better way :)
>>
>>     Nicolas
>>
>>     --     logoNrd <https://nereide.fr/>     Nicolas Malin The apache
>> way <http://theapacheway.com/> : *Openness* Technical decisions are
>> made publicly
>>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>8 rue des
>> Déportés 37000 TOURS, 02 47 50 30 54
>>
>>     Apache OFBiz <http://ofbiz.apache.org/>|The Apache Way
>> <http://theapacheway.com/>|ofbiz-fr <http://www.ofbiz-fr.org/>|réseau LE
>>     <http://www.libre-entreprise.org/>

Re: potential problem to stop ofbiz with gradle

Pierre Smits
As I have explained before and in other threads, using build solutions
(like Ant and Gradle) - as a means to start ofbiz in production
environments - is stupid.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 9:16 AM, Nicolas Malin <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>>> production case, but I prefer to sharing this with the thinking about what
>>> is the
>>>     best way to down ofbiz. Do we need use gradle but in this case why
>>> call build target, directly call the jar or by operating system order !
>>>
>>>     On the README.md whe have the example of gradlew "ofbiz --shutdown",
>>> please help me to found the better way :)
>>>
>>>     Nicolas
>>>
>>>     --     logoNrd <https://nereide.fr/>     Nicolas Malin The apache
>>> way <http://theapacheway.com/> : *Openness* Technical decisions are
>>> made publicly
>>>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>8 rue des
>>> Déportés 37000 TOURS, 02 47 50 30 54
>>>
>>>     Apache OFBiz <http://ofbiz.apache.org/>|The Apache Way <
>>> http://theapacheway.com/>|ofbiz-fr <http://www.ofbiz-fr.org/>|réseau LE
>>>     <http://www.libre-entreprise.org/>

Re: potential problem to stop ofbiz with gradle

Jacopo Cappellato-5
On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 9:49 AM, Pierre Smits <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> As I have explained before and in other threads, using build solutions
> (like Ant and Gradle) - as a means to start ofbiz in production
> environments - is stupid.

Not very kind of you.

Re: potential problem to stop ofbiz with gradle

If you can allow 300KB more for the Gradle wrapper, can move or copy the Gradle location and are not running multiple instances on the same machine
(for now, hopefully we will fix stopping them properly one day) it should not be an issue.

Jacques

Le 21/01/2017 à 09:49, Pierre Smits a écrit :

> As I have explained before and in other threads, using build solutions
> (like Ant and Gradle) - as a means to start ofbiz in production
> environments - is stupid.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Pierre Smits
>
> ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
> OFBiz based solutions & services
>
> OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
> http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/
>
> On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 9:16 AM, Nicolas Malin <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> @Taher sorry for this another thread on the subject ! Yes an know that my
>> environment wasn't perfect, I just try to notify that when ofbiz rebuild to
>> stop it doesn't work completely. I already detected this with ant, some
>> time when you call an "ant stop" by a new ofbiz on an currently running
>> ofbiz, the order don't works and you need to call the operating system to
>> help you.
>>
>> @Jacques Thanks for remind this issue, I will care off. I notified that
>> you call the jar directly on the debian script, maybe it's a potential
>> solution if we don't use gradle on a production server.
>>
>> @Gil Thanks also for this remind, I forget the terminateOfbiz command.
>> Just after read it, It's a few strong to stop a process by kill -9 at each
>> time ^^, normally we use this drastic command for exceptional case
>>
>> Nicolas
>>

>> Le 19/01/2017 à 14:39, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
>>
>>> The trunk and stable demo work well and uses respectively the simple
>>> scripts you can find in tools\demo-backup
>>>
>>> I though crossed and issue because the demo server runs several OFBiz
>>> instances with Gradle. I documented it there
>>>
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-7796?page=com.
>>> atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpane
>>> l&focusedCommentId=15758707#comment-15758707
>>>
>>> This said a sole instance should not have any issue running in
>>> background, even also when using a portoffset, as stable-manual.sh shows
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Jacques

Re: potential problem to stop ofbiz with gradle

Nicolas Malin-2
Ah ahahah :)

I worked with some great sys admin that use Make to automate some admin
sys task.

They are often a confuse that a build system is also an automation tool

Nicolas

Le 21/01/2017 à 09:49, Pierre Smits a écrit :

> As I have explained before and in other threads, using build solutions
> (like Ant and Gradle) - as a means to start ofbiz in production
> environments - is stupid.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Pierre Smits
>
> ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
> OFBiz based solutions & services
>
> OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
> http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/
>
> On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 9:16 AM, Nicolas Malin <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> @Taher sorry for this another thread on the subject ! Yes an know that my
>> environment wasn't perfect, I just try to notify that when ofbiz rebuild to
>> stop it doesn't work completely. I already detected this with ant, some
>> time when you call an "ant stop" by a new ofbiz on an currently running
>> ofbiz, the order don't works and you need to call the operating system to
>> help you.
>>
>> @Jacques Thanks for remind this issue, I will care off. I notified that
>> you call the jar directly on the debian script, maybe it's a potential
>> solution if we don't use gradle on a production server.
>>
>> @Gil Thanks also for this remind, I forget the terminateOfbiz command.
>> Just after read it, It's a few strong to stop a process by kill -9 at each
>> time ^^, normally we use this drastic command for exceptional case
>>
>> Nicolas
>>

>> Le 19/01/2017 à 14:39, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
>>
>>> The trunk and stable demo work well and uses respectively the simple
>>> scripts you can find in tools\demo-backup
>>>
>>> I though crossed and issue because the demo server runs several OFBiz
>>> instances with Gradle. I documented it there
>>>
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-7796?page=com.
>>> atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpane
>>> l&focusedCommentId=15758707#comment-15758707
>>>
>>> This said a sole instance should not have any issue running in
>>> background, even also when using a portoffset, as stable-manual.sh shows
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Jacques

Re: potential problem to stop ofbiz with gradle

taher
Why would Gradle not work as an automation tool?

On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Nicolas Malin <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Ah ahahah :)
>
> I worked with some great sys admin that use Make to automate some admin
> sys task.
>
> They are often a confuse that a build system is also an automation tool
>
> Nicolas
>
> Le 21/01/2017 à 09:49, Pierre Smits a écrit :
>
>> As I have explained before and in other threads, using build solutions
>> (like Ant and Gradle) - as a means to start ofbiz in production
>> environments - is stupid.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Pierre Smits
>>
>> ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
>> OFBiz based solutions & services
>>
>> OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
>> http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 9:16 AM, Nicolas Malin <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>>
>>> @Taher sorry for this another thread on the subject ! Yes an know that my
>>> environment wasn't perfect, I just try to notify that when ofbiz rebuild
>>> stop it doesn't work completely. I already detected this with ant, some
>>> time when you call an "ant stop" by a new ofbiz on an currently running
>>> ofbiz, the order don't works and you need to call the operating system to
>>> help you.
>>>
>>> @Jacques Thanks for remind this issue, I will care off. I notified that
>>> you call the jar directly on the debian script, maybe it's a potential
>>> solution if we don't use gradle on a production server.
>>>
>>> @Gil Thanks also for this remind, I forget the terminateOfbiz command.
>>> Just after read it, It's a few strong to stop a process by kill -9 at
>>> each
>>> time ^^, normally we use this drastic command for exceptional case
>>>
>>> Nicolas
>>>

>>> Le 19/01/2017 à 14:39, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
>>>
>>> The trunk and stable demo work well and uses respectively the simple

Re: potential problem to stop ofbiz with gradle

Mmm... below is of course 300MB not 300KB ;)