simple-method call-*-method exception handling

simple-method call-*-method exception handling

cjhowe
I'm interested in adding support for exception
handling for the call-object-method and
call-class-method operations in minilang.  Let me know
if this approach sounds feasible.

and a child node of <exception/> to call-*-method.
create an ExceptionObject class that will parse the
element
in the parameterIter while clause in
CallObjectMethod.callObjectMethod and
CallClassMethod.callClassMethod have it evaluate for
"exception" while it's evaluating for "field" and
"string" and add it to an additional list for
exceptions to be added to CallObjectMethod.callMethod

create an exception iterator and loop through each

Does this sound doable before I try to do it?

Re: simple-method call-*-method exception handling

Jacopo Cappellato
Hi Chris,

just my 2 cents: wouldn't be better/cleaner to just populate the errors
map (not sure about the details here) so that the errors can be checked
using the <check-errors/> operation?
Something like this:

<call-object-method ...>
</call-object-method>
<check-errors/>

Jacopo

Chris Howe wrote:

> I'm interested in adding support for exception
> handling for the call-object-method and
> call-class-method operations in minilang.  Let me know
> if this approach sounds feasible.
>
> and a child node of <exception/> to call-*-method.
> create an ExceptionObject class that will parse the
> element
> in the parameterIter while clause in
> CallObjectMethod.callObjectMethod and
> CallClassMethod.callClassMethod have it evaluate for
> "exception" while it's evaluating for "field" and
> "string" and add it to an additional list for
> exceptions to be added to CallObjectMethod.callMethod
>
> create an exception iterator and loop through each
>
> Does this sound doable before I try to do it?

Re: simple-method call-*-method exception handling

cjhowe
Since the method being called is throwing an error and
it's not being caught, wouldn't the error get spit out
in the log before getting to the check-errors?

--- Jacopo Cappellato <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> just my 2 cents: wouldn't be better/cleaner to just
> populate the errors
> map (not sure about the details here) so that the
> errors can be checked
> using the <check-errors/> operation?
> Something like this:
>
> <call-object-method ...>
> </call-object-method>
> <check-errors/>
>
> Jacopo
>
> Chris Howe wrote:
> > I'm interested in adding support for exception
> > handling for the call-object-method and
> > call-class-method operations in minilang.  Let me
> know
> > if this approach sounds feasible.
> >
> > and a child node of <exception/> to call-*-method.
> > create an ExceptionObject class that will parse
> the
> > element
> > in the parameterIter while clause in
> > CallObjectMethod.callObjectMethod and
> > CallClassMethod.callClassMethod have it evaluate
> for
> > "exception" while it's evaluating for "field" and
> > "string" and add it to an additional list for
> > exceptions to be added to
> CallObjectMethod.callMethod
> >
> > create an exception iterator and loop through each
> >
> > Does this sound doable before I try to do it?

Re: simple-method call-*-method exception handling

David E Jones-2

On Dec 4, 2006, at 8:05 AM, Chris Howe wrote:

> Since the method being called is throwing an error and
> it's not being caught, wouldn't the error get spit out
> in the log before getting to the check-errors?

If that's happening and the exception is not making it back through
then it's a bug.

In general this is a service environment and not a "Java" environment
and so exceptions aren't all that helpful. Passing messages around is
the way to go, and we do have various things like a message wrapper
object so you can identify where the error happened, and the message
Map that Jacopo mentioned so you can give each message a name/key.

What I'm wondering about your proposal is how it is different and
better than existing methods of error handling and message passing,
including the two I mentioned above.

-David

> --- Jacopo Cappellato <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> just my 2 cents: wouldn't be better/cleaner to just
>> populate the errors
>> map (not sure about the details here) so that the
>> errors can be checked
>> using the <check-errors/> operation?
>> Something like this:
>>
>> <call-object-method ...>
>> </call-object-method>
>> <check-errors/>
>>
>> Jacopo
>>
>> Chris Howe wrote:
>>> I'm interested in adding support for exception
>>> handling for the call-object-method and
>>> call-class-method operations in minilang.  Let me
>> know
>>> if this approach sounds feasible.
>>>
>>> and a child node of <exception/> to call-*-method.
>>> create an ExceptionObject class that will parse
>> the
>>> element
>>> in the parameterIter while clause in
>>> CallObjectMethod.callObjectMethod and
>>> CallClassMethod.callClassMethod have it evaluate
>> for
>>> "exception" while it's evaluating for "field" and
>>> "string" and add it to an additional list for
>>> exceptions to be added to
>> CallObjectMethod.callMethod
>>>
>>> create an exception iterator and loop through each
>>>
>>> Does this sound doable before I try to do it?

Re: simple-method call-*-method exception handling

cjhowe
I'll look into it more.  I was assuming that it
doesn't take care of the exception properly because
the log gets blown up with the stack trace.  Perhaps
the specific java method had the error.  Thanks.

--- David E Jones <[hidden email]>