smtp mail container?

Si Chen-2
Hi everybody -

Is it possible to write an SMTP mail container, which can turn ofbiz
into an smtp proxy and allow users to write emails in outlook/
thunderbird/whatever, but route the emails through ofbiz so they can
be stored as communication events, categorized against various
parties and events, and then forwarded on?

Best Regards,

Si

Re: smtp mail container?

David E Jones-2

You could run something like Apache James in the ofbiz container and
use it as an email server. You may also be able to use the current
mail server polling stuff and have it just hit a whole bunch of
accounts, but that would probably be a real pain if you have very
many users.

-David

On Nov 2, 2006, at 10:21 AM, Si Chen wrote:

> Hi everybody -
>
> Is it possible to write an SMTP mail container, which can turn
> ofbiz into an smtp proxy and allow users to write emails in outlook/
> thunderbird/whatever, but route the emails through ofbiz so they
> can be stored as communication events, categorized against various
> parties and events, and then forwarded on?
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Si

Re: smtp mail container?

Matthew E. Porter-2
Si:
   Not sure if it's what you want, but JBoss has a full SMTP system.
You could potential embed this or use their hooks.

Cheers,
   Matthew

---
Matthew E. Porter
Contegix/Metissian
E-mail: [hidden email]

On Nov 2, 2006, at 11:21 AM, Si Chen wrote:

> Hi everybody -
>
> Is it possible to write an SMTP mail container, which can turn
> ofbiz into an smtp proxy and allow users to write emails in outlook/
> thunderbird/whatever, but route the emails through ofbiz so they
> can be stored as communication events, categorized against various
> parties and events, and then forwarded on?
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Si

Re: smtp mail container?

From: "David E Jones" <[hidden email]>

> You could run something like Apache James in the ofbiz container and
> use it as an email server. You may also be able to use the current
> mail server polling stuff and have it just hit a whole bunch of
> accounts, but that would probably be a real pain if you have very
> many users.
>
> -David

I believe BJ is doing something like that (with James I mean). If he have a chance he may explain further.

Jacques

> On Nov 2, 2006, at 10:21 AM, Si Chen wrote:
>
> > Hi everybody -
> >
> > Is it possible to write an SMTP mail container, which can turn
> > ofbiz into an smtp proxy and allow users to write emails in outlook/
> > thunderbird/whatever, but route the emails through ofbiz so they
> > can be stored as communication events, categorized against various
> > parties and events, and then forwarded on?
> >

> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Si
> > [hidden email]

Re: smtp mail container?

BJ Freeman
I am not running James in Ofbiz I use the mail container to pull emails
from James, by Account.

There is one other way, that I have not done, is to write a Mailet in
james that sends all emails to ofbiz after doing the processing to
reject emails but before sending the emails to James mail store.  This
means you can have a simple SMTP server in ofbiz. The EMail processor
currently finds the matching emails.

Also if there is a lot of emails it would bog down Ofbiz if it had to do
all the processing that james does.

However for mail clients to connect to ofbiz it needs to have a POP3
server container and POP3 service that looks up accounts via
findemailaccounts service.

Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 11/2/2006 12:09 PM:

> From: "David E Jones" <[hidden email]>
>> You could run something like Apache James in the ofbiz container and
>> use it as an email server. You may also be able to use the current
>> mail server polling stuff and have it just hit a whole bunch of
>> accounts, but that would probably be a real pain if you have very
>> many users.
>>
>> -David
>
> I believe BJ is doing something like that (with James I mean). If he have a chance he may explain further.
>
> Jacques
>
>> On Nov 2, 2006, at 10:21 AM, Si Chen wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everybody -
>>>
>>> Is it possible to write an SMTP mail container, which can turn
>>> ofbiz into an smtp proxy and allow users to write emails in outlook/
>>> thunderbird/whatever, but route the emails through ofbiz so they
>>> can be stored as communication events, categorized against various
>>> parties and events, and then forwarded on?
>>>

>>> Best Regards,
>>>
>>> Si
>>> [hidden email]

Re: smtp mail container?

Ean Schuessler
On Thursday 02 November 2006 11:21, Si Chen wrote:
> Is it possible to write an SMTP mail container, which can turn ofbiz
> into an smtp proxy and allow users to write emails in outlook/
> thunderbird/whatever, but route the emails through ofbiz so they can
> be stored as communication events, categorized against various
> parties and events, and then forwarded on?

You may find it easier (and more reliable) to configure your mail server to
send a copy of all outgoing mail to one account that shoves stuff into OFBiz.
You could cook something up with procmail and CURL to shove the mails in as
HTTP POSTs.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
[hidden email]
Brainfood, Inc.
http://www.brainfood.com

Re: smtp mail container?

Si Chen-2
Ean,

Thanks!  This is a actually a great idea.  Postfix has an always bcc
feature as well: http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#always_bcc  I
just tried it in concept and it works, so that'll save a lot of time
vs. writing an smtp container or trying to integrate james.  Of
course, to use it in real life, the ofbiz email services would still
need to be debugged, but now it's a much better starting point.

On Nov 6, 2006, at 7:06 AM, Ean Schuessler wrote:

> On Thursday 02 November 2006 11:21, Si Chen wrote:
>> Is it possible to write an SMTP mail container, which can turn ofbiz
>> into an smtp proxy and allow users to write emails in outlook/
>> thunderbird/whatever, but route the emails through ofbiz so they can
>> be stored as communication events, categorized against various
>> parties and events, and then forwarded on?
>
> You may find it easier (and more reliable) to configure your mail
> server to
> send a copy of all outgoing mail to one account that shoves stuff
> into OFBiz.
> You could cook something up with procmail and CURL to shove the
> mails in as
> HTTP POSTs.
>
> --
> Ean Schuessler, CTO
> [hidden email]
> 214-720-0700 x 315
> Brainfood, Inc.
> http://www.brainfood.com

Best Regards,

Si

Re: smtp mail container?

Ean Schuessler
On Monday 13 November 2006 18:27, Si Chen wrote:
> Thanks!  This is a actually a great idea.  Postfix has an always bcc
> feature as well: http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#always_bcc  I
> just tried it in concept and it works, so that'll save a lot of time
> vs. writing an smtp container or trying to integrate james.  Of
> course, to use it in real life, the ofbiz email services would still
> need to be debugged, but now it's a much better starting point.

Yep, sounds like a walk in the park.
It ain't pretty but should work pretty well.

~VIVA JAVA LIBRE!

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
[hidden email]