state field missing from new customer form

state field missing from new customer form

michael j
Hi

I found a javascript function in code of the ecommerce app that was
causing me problems to register a new customer.  The file is
~/ofbiz/applications/ecommerce/webapp/ecommerce/customer/newcustomer.ftl
and section is:

----------snip--------------------------------------------------------------------
     function hideShowUsaStates() {
         if (document.getElementById("customerCountry").value == "USA"
|| document.getElementById("customerCountry").value == "UMI") {
             document.getElementById("customerState").style.display =
"block";
         } else {
             document.getElementById("customerState").style.display =
"none";
         }
     }
----------snip--------------------------------------------------------------------

This code prevents any non-US user from registering a new account
because it hides the state field on the form.  After commenting this
code it works fine and displays the state field on the form.  I am not
sure what the goal of this function is but I am wondering if it might be
reconsidered because of the issue it causes.

Michael

Re: state field missing from new customer form

BJ Freeman

Re: state field missing from new customer form

We should show the states field only in relevant cases. For instance it's irrevelant for most EU countries, if not all...

My guess is to introduce it for USA, and any other countries where it's relevant. So I propose to have a properties (in
general.properties I guess) for this case and to use it in this snippet of code.

Could be
ShowStatesField=USA, other_country1, other_country2, etc.

From: "BJ Freeman" <[hidden email]>

Re: state field missing from new customer form

BJ Freeman

I can see where someone in a Country that does not have a State wanting
to send something to someone that does have a State.
this may be better handles with a Country lookup that is a form in ofbiz
so that Geo code and address formats can be looked up and used for such
things.

Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 3/9/2009 3:35 AM:

> We should show the states field only in relevant cases. For instance
> it's irrevelant for most EU countries, if not all...
>
> My guess is to introduce it for USA, and any other countries where it's
> relevant. So I propose to have a properties (in general.properties I
> guess) for this case and to use it in this snippet of code.
>
> Could be
> ShowStatesField=USA, other_country1, other_country2, etc.

> From: "BJ Freeman" <[hidden email]>
> please submit a patch.
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Contributors+Best+Practices
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Coding+Conventions and
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Best+Practices+Guide
>

> G. Michael Jean sent the following on 3/8/2009 7:48 PM:

Re: state field missing from new customer form

Sorry BJ,

I think when you create your profile (new customer is what we speak about here) you need only to fill informations about you. So I
don't understand what you want to do here

Jacques

From: "BJ Freeman" <[hidden email]>

> I can see where someone in a Country that does not have a State wanting
> to send something to someone that does have a State.
> this may be better handles with a Country lookup that is a form in ofbiz
> so that Geo code and address formats can be looked up and used for such
> things.
>
> Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 3/9/2009 3:35 AM:
>> We should show the states field only in relevant cases. For instance
>> it's irrevelant for most EU countries, if not all...
>>
>> My guess is to introduce it for USA, and any other countries where it's
>> relevant. So I propose to have a properties (in general.properties I
>> guess) for this case and to use it in this snippet of code.
>>
>> Could be
>> ShowStatesField=USA, other_country1, other_country2, etc.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jacques
>>
>> From: "BJ Freeman" <[hidden email]>
>> please submit a patch.
>> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Contributors+Best+Practices
>> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Coding+Conventions and
>> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Best+Practices+Guide
>>

>> G. Michael Jean sent the following on 3/8/2009 7:48 PM:

Re: state field missing from new customer form

BJ Freeman

Yes, I was thinking ahead.
In a customer, you have at least two scenarios.
creating a customer as in the ECommerce and Creating a Customer as in
New Client in SFA. In the second the company may be in a Country that
does not require States, but he customer address they are adding does.

You also have addressing needs in other areas.
so instead of just focusing on one small area, I looked at all
addressing considerations to make more like a utility (as in country
lookup) that could be plugged into any of the forms that need addressing.
Thus removing the need for the java script and replacing with a Lookup form.
this also does away with using properties.

just my 2 cents

Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 3/9/2009 4:22 AM:

I understand now, thanks for details

Jacques

From: "BJ Freeman" <[hidden email]>