the Address xsd from http://www.oasis-open.org and entity PostalAddress

I include the XAL from http://www.oasis-open.org
it is used by google map interface.
They take a different approach to addressing, as far as naming goes.
any consideration of adopting their nomenclature?

for instance
street = Thoroughfare
City = Locality
DependentLocality (like suburbs name or districts in a city
State/province =AdministrativeArea
country is still the same two letter ID.

as mentioned in another email
there is an
AddressType
CurrentStatus(of address)

Some of the above can be handled in the ContactMech.
some in the Geo and Geotype

Not sure how to present a proposal for changes to the PostalAddress entity

Re: the Address xsd from http://www.oasis-open.org and entity PostalAddress

De : "BJ Freeman" <[hidden email]>
> I include the XAL from http://www.oasis-open.org
> it is used by google map interface.
> They take a different approach to addressing, as far as naming goes.
> any consideration of adopting their nomenclature?
>
> for instance
> street = Thoroughfare

Actually, if I have well understood (I'm french) a Thoroughfare is something more general and can be also a square, a boulevard,
an avenue, an impasse (these 4 words are also used in french ;o), etc.

> City = Locality

Same idea, more general...

> DependentLocality (like suburbs name or districts in a city

The one from where mail is distributed I guess

> State/province =AdministrativeArea

Typically new world

> country is still the same two letter ID.
>
> as mentioned in another email
> there is an
> AddressType
> CurrentStatus(of address)
>
> Some of the above can be handled in the ContactMech.
> some in the Geo and Geotype
>
> Not sure how to present a proposal for changes to the PostalAddress entity

This look a bit like how UK deals with its address, except for AdministrativeArea which come certainly from US or Canada.

Is there a direction field ? This is used in places where there are no names or numbers for streets. In France there are still some
cases like that (I discovered it, really surprising). Actually it's even worse. For instance I live at "Chemin de la Mouline" (this
is in countryside). There are 8 houses there but none has a number. I claim for one since I'm here (5 years). Numbers can be indexed
or metrics they told me (from which origin ? Beginning of the street I guess)... nothing yet. So as long as the old postman works
it's ok (barely, depends of days), but when he is in vacation : not so easy for his substitute (moreover they always change, of
course). Some are smarter, EDF (Electricité de France, nuclear zealots) which is mainly interested by pickin up your counter and
charge you added a direction in their invoices. I'm just at their 3d pole after the right turn. No kidding, it's how it's written to
help their employee. Actually this is South of France and we are not so far from Africa...  Funny isn'it ?

There is a Jira issue for that  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-961. IIRW direction is in the address entity but there
are no UI for it yet.

Jacques

PS: Hey BJ, I always dreamed to live in a camping-car (not my wife) but a motorcoach seems to be the real answer. AFAIK this does
not exist in Europe yet. US style : much bigger, tough camping-cars tend to be bigger and bigger too. 2 worries also : petrol
price and CO², actually they are really imbricated. Futur will tell...

Sorry for this deflection guys, I just can't resist. Have a good week

Re: the Address xsd from http://www.oasis-open.org and entity PostalAddress

BJ Freeman
The Xla.xsd is very details and I hope to incorporate all of the.
its is very will documented.
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ciq/download.shtml
I propose to leave the exiting fields in the Postal address and add the
new ones. the provide two services that keep them synced up.
then as the code is re-factored in ofbiz we can phase out the current
postalAddress fields.

it has individual fields that let you be very granular.

so you can have 3d pole after the right turn

Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 11/4/2007 4:40 PM:

De : "BJ Freeman" <[hidden email]>

> The Xla.xsd is very details and I hope to incorporate all of the.
> its is very will documented.
> http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ciq/download.shtml

Sorry I do not have time now to look at it seriously

> I propose to leave the exiting fields in the Postal address and add the
> new ones. then provide two services that keep them synced up.

What will you synchronise and how (sorry maybe I should read Xla/xsd) ?

> then as the code is re-factored in ofbiz we can phase out the current
> postalAddress fields.

Not sure to understand. You mean to replace with new entities ?