view-entity

cjhowe
Is the view-entity supposed to create actual views in
a database? (eg
CREATE VIEW view_name AS
SELECT column_name(s)
FROM table_name
WHERE condition
)

Re: view-entity

David E Jones-2

http://incubator.apache.org/ofbiz/docs/entity.html#View_Entity_Modeling

On Nov 8, 2006, at 3:03 PM, Chris Howe wrote:

> Is the view-entity supposed to create actual views in
> a database? (eg
> CREATE VIEW view_name AS
> SELECT column_name(s)
> FROM table_name
> WHERE condition
> )

Re: view-entity

cjhowe
Thank you David for the refresher.  There were a
couple of subtleties that I hadn't been taking
advantage of.  However, I'm still a bit confused on
the answer to my question.  The link says that "The
idea of a view-entity is the same as the idea of a
view in Oracle".  Does this mean that the concept
works the same way but that only Ofbiz can take
advantage of the view-entity definition or does it
mean that it actually creates a view in the underlying
database that the database manages and therefore can
be used by other applications that use the database
directly?

--- David E Jones <[hidden email]>
wrote:

http://incubator.apache.org/ofbiz/docs/entity.html#View_Entity_Modeling

> On Nov 8, 2006, at 3:03 PM, Chris Howe wrote:
>
> > Is the view-entity supposed to create actual views
> in
> > a database? (eg
> > CREATE VIEW view_name AS
> > SELECT column_name(s)
> > FROM table_name
> > WHERE condition
> > )

Re: view-entity

Jacopo Cappellato
Hi Chris,

I think (pretty sure) that view-entities are never transformed in sql
VIEWs, they instead are transformed in SQL queries that join more tables.
I think that it would be nice to have an option somewhere in the view
entity definition that says to the engine to store the entity as an SQL
view.

Jacopo