AW: Re: [OFBiz] Dev - Question on i18n of Entity labels

AW: Re: [OFBiz] Dev - Question on i18n of Entity labels

Tapio Reisinger
Jacques,

I agree with you. For me it would be much better to maintain descriptions by the user in the screen and not by the developer in the property files.

My suggestion is to create for each entity which needs localized data, a text entity extension. Thist text entity consists the key from the entity, which needs the localized data, the language key (DE or FR) and the description.

Regards
Tapio

>Thanks Peter for this explanation, I must admit that I was not clear. I was
>asking myself if it will not be easier to maintain localized data at a root
>level in the futur. I was not thinking about demo datas but core datas. I
>have no solution to propose, it was just an inner question (intuitive), with
>a little argument for others thought... I feel that there is something there
>but I can't argue more for the moment, perhaps I'm wrong ;o)
>
>Jacques

Re: Re: [OFBiz] Dev - Question on i18n of Entity labels

Thanks Tapio for you suggestion. I was thinking about core data, and I don't
think that it's user job to do that, don't you ?

Although I agree that it will be less pain to delegate localization tasks to
other people than developper. Only localization skill is involved with a
solution like yours, no more is needed ! But before that we need to develop
something, egg and hen problem...

Let's see what others think about it, and if my intuition is worth
something.

Jacques

> I agree with you. For me it would be much better to maintain descriptions
by the user in the screen and not by the developer in the property files.

> My suggestion is to create for each entity which needs localized data, a
text entity extension. Thist text entity consists the key from the entity,
which needs the localized data, the language key (DE or FR) and the
description.

> Regards
> Tapio
>
> >Thanks Peter for this explanation, I must admit that I was not clear. I
was
> >asking myself if it will not be easier to maintain localized data at a
root
> >level in the futur. I was not thinking about demo datas but core datas. I
> >have no solution to propose, it was just an inner question (intuitive),
with
> >a little argument for others thought... I feel that there is something
there

> >but I can't argue more for the moment, perhaps I'm wrong ;o)
> >
> >Jacques

Sorry, maybe I misunderstand you. What exactly do you mean with core data?

Regards
Tapio

Jacques Le Roux schrieb:

> Thanks Tapio for you suggestion. I was thinking about core data, and I don't
> think that it's user job to do that, don't you ?
>
> Although I agree that it will be less pain to delegate localization tasks to
> other people than developper. Only localization skill is involved with a
> solution like yours, no more is needed ! But before that we need to develop
> something, egg and hen problem...
>
> Let's see what others think about it, and if my intuition is worth
> something.
>
> Jacques

I'm sorry too because I guess I'm not clear enough. By core data I mean seed
data (vs demo data). Entity like enumeration, statusItem, etc. Often these
data populate drop-down boxes and they are needed at the core of OFBiz to
make it work.

To be clear, localised demo data may be managed like Peter explained below
but seed data (or core data like I called them) can't be managed like this
because of multi-locale site (although perhaps an enhancement mau be
possible ?)

My concern is that if you change, add or suppress data in the files that
feed the data base intially nothing (no mechanim) will tell you to change
the localized data in the related properties files. That's what I'm looking
for, any idea ? Perhaps I miss something here as I'm almost a newbie in Java
?

Jacques

> Sorry, maybe I misunderstand you. What exactly do you mean with core data?
>
> Regards
> Tapio
>
> Jacques Le Roux schrieb:
> > Thanks Tapio for you suggestion. I was thinking about core data, and I
don't
> > think that it's user job to do that, don't you ?
> >
> > Although I agree that it will be less pain to delegate localization
tasks to
> > other people than developper. Only localization skill is involved with a
> > solution like yours, no more is needed ! But before that we need to
develop

> > something, egg and hen problem...
> >
> > Let's see what others think about it, and if my intuition is worth
> > something.
> >
> > Jacques

Well, I'm a complete newbie in Java as well, but have worked a lot with
other ERP-systems.

For me it doesen't matter, whether it is a status, order type or
whatever data which have different language descriptions. I think every
localized data should be treated in the same way, especially when you
have a multi-locale sites.

As far as I understand it correct, it is possible to have locals for
status or order types in OFBiz. But you have to maintain it in the
property files. Ok, you can say this is ok for this core data, but when
system will grow and it looks like that way, property files will grow as
well. Quite often Customizers/End-Users like to have other descriptions
like the provided. So, it would be much easier to change this as well.
Sometimes you also would like to create new ones by the application,
e.g. when Customizing is done by table entries and I think sooner or
later it will come more an more. Also, it would be easier not to
maintain property files.

It is more valid for products. Imagine you have thousends of products in
multi-site in different countries. I think it is absolutely necessary to
mantain localized data due to the application and not by the developer.
What do you think?

Regards
Tapio

Jacques Le Roux schrieb:

> Tapio,
>
> I'm sorry too because I guess I'm not clear enough. By core data I mean seed
> data (vs demo data). Entity like enumeration, statusItem, etc. Often these
> data populate drop-down boxes and they are needed at the core of OFBiz to
> make it work.
>
> To be clear, localised demo data may be managed like Peter explained below
> but seed data (or core data like I called them) can't be managed like this
> because of multi-locale site (although perhaps an enhancement mau be
> possible ?)
>
> My concern is that if you change, add or suppress data in the files that
> feed the data base intially nothing (no mechanim) will tell you to change
> the localized data in the related properties files. That's what I'm looking
> for, any idea ? Perhaps I miss something here as I'm almost a newbie in Java
> ?
>
> Jacques

There is already mechanisms for that type of data (products description or
content), look here :
http://ofbizwiki.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=LocalizedProductDescriptions

You may have a look at this also (where come the first link, see at the
bottom of the page)
http://ofbizwiki.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=HowToLocalizeAnOFBizAppl

That does not mean that we must not think about a better world...

Jacques

/

/

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - Question on i18n of Entity labels

Tapio Reisinger
Thank you for the links. I know there were some things already there.
Some time ago I tried to change the descriptions for entities order
type, due to the description in the Wiki, but couldn't manage it. But it
was on a quite old version from OFBiz. I should try again with a newer
version again.

Maybe there will be some discussions at the OFBiz conference. We will see.

Regards
Tapio

Jacques Le Roux schrieb:

> Tapio,
>
> There is already mechanisms for that type of data (products description or
> content), look here :
> http://ofbizwiki.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=LocalizedProductDescriptions
>
> You may have a look at this also (where come the first link, see at the
> bottom of the page)
> http://ofbizwiki.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=HowToLocalizeAnOFBizAppl
>
> That does not mean that we must not think about a better world...
>
> Jacques

Michael Kuefner
Hi Tapio,

as Jacqes mentioned, there are mechanisms to get for example
product data translated, although it is very complicated to
edit all those content, datasource and alternate locale references.

I agree with you, that properties files, that could only be edited
by a system administrator are not the best way to serve translations.

Some time ago I adapted the entityLabel mechanism to serve
entityLabels from the database:

Everything is in alpha state by now, but works fine. With some changes
in e.g in the widgets for the product you could handle a translation
for enity field like "description" for the product.
(And by the way any field of an entity like features, and so on)

I added some sites to edit those DatabaseEntityLabels, e.g to show
all translations of a concrete field of a table matching the given
PK value and show all translations of a field for all entries of the
table (there you can easyly see entries that where not translated).

I would like to adapt those forms to the screen widgets mechanism
and would like to share those to the community.
The problem is, my changes are quite old (about 1/2 year), so i don't
know if they could be easyly added in the current svn version.

In about 2 weeks I should have a working diff for the svn.

  Michael

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 08:10:01AM +0200, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Tapio,
>
> There is already mechanisms for that type of data (products description or
> content), look here :
> http://ofbizwiki.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=LocalizedProductDescriptions
>
> You may have a look at this also (where come the first link, see at the
> bottom of the page)
> http://ofbizwiki.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=HowToLocalizeAnOFBizAppl
>
> That does not mean that we must not think about a better world...
>
> Jacques

Michael Küfner                          Meisterbohne eLösungen
                                        Söflinger Strasse 100
Tel: +49-(0)731-399 499 0               D-89077 Ulm
                                        http://www.meisterbohne.de