Dev - OSCON presentation deadline

davidnwelton
If anyone is of a mind to give a talk about OFBiz at OSCON, the
deadline is approaching...

http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2006/create/e_sess/

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Dev - OSCON presentation deadline

Si Chen-2
I submitted a proposal.  We'll see if they like the idea.  Would be nice
if they did--we can have a BOF session too.

Si

David Welton wrote:

>If anyone is of a mind to give a talk about OFBiz at OSCON, the
>deadline is approaching...
>
>http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2006/create/e_sess/
>
>--
>David N. Welton
> - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/
>
>Linux, Open Source Consulting
> - http://www.dedasys.com/

Dev - Local host and 8080 issues

BJ Freeman
I may have missed something, I am finding all sorts of localhost and
8080 notations thru out the properties, XML, and Code.

shouldn't we be calling the connection manager to get the current host
and port?

Then only the one configuration file is used to define the current host
and port?

Re: Dev - OSCON presentation deadline

Si,

What was the topic of your proposed presentation? I am thinking of
submitting one as well but don't want to overlap...

Actually for everyone else: what topics related to OFBiz would you
like to see at OSCON (considering this would be an intro to OFBiz for
lots of people)? I'm thinking about something along the lines of
showing off the framework to demonstrate how complex enterprise apps
can be developed efficiently... (along the lines of a flexible J2EE-
based RAD idea).

-David

On Feb 9, 2006, at 9:34 AM, Si Chen wrote:

> I submitted a proposal.  We'll see if they like the idea.  Would be
> nice
> if they did--we can have a BOF session too.
>
> Si
>
> David Welton wrote:
>
>> If anyone is of a mind to give a talk about OFBiz at OSCON, the
>> deadline is approaching...
>>
>> http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2006/create/e_sess/
>>
>> --
>> David N. Welton
>> - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/
>>
>> Linux, Open Source Consulting
>> - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Dev - OSCON presentation deadline

Si Chen-2
It's about OFBiz.  Here is the submission I made to them.  It might be
good to submit one more on the framework as well (ie, why OFBiz is
better than ______)  Also, would you be interested in an OFBiz booth there?

Si

---------------------

Title: Building Large-Scale Business Applications with OFBiz

Conference: O'Reilly Open Source Convention 2006

Type/Duration: 45m

Audience Level: General

Audience Type: IT managers, web designers, applications developers, Java developers

Can an open source community develop large-scale business applications?

Since 2001, the Open For Business project (www.ofbiz.org) has been doing exactly that.  Now part of the Apache Software Foundation, this Java open source project can be used to design and deploy large-scale ecommerce stores, point-of-sales, manufacturing, warehouse, customer relationship management, and enterprise resource planning (ERP) software.  It has been built around best-practices design concepts such as database-independence, service-oriented architecture, and model-view-controller framework and allows rapid development of complex applications.

In this presentation, Si Chen, one of the core developers of the OFBiz project, will discuss the applications and technology behind OFBiz and how a global open source community can collaborate together and deliver state-of-the-art open source business applications.

Description Short:
Can an open source community develop large-scale business applications?  This presentation will show how a global community has done just that at the OFBiz project, and how you can use it to develop and deploy large-scale ecommerce, POS, manufacturing, warehouse, CRM, and ERP systems.

David E. Jones wrote:

>Si,
>
>What was the topic of your proposed presentation? I am thinking of
>submitting one as well but don't want to overlap...
>
>Actually for everyone else: what topics related to OFBiz would you
>like to see at OSCON (considering this would be an intro to OFBiz for
>lots of people)? I'm thinking about something along the lines of
>showing off the framework to demonstrate how complex enterprise apps
>can be developed efficiently... (along the lines of a flexible J2EE-
>based RAD idea).
>
>-David
>

>On Feb 9, 2006, at 9:34 AM, Si Chen wrote:
>

>>I submitted a proposal.  We'll see if they like the idea.  Would be
>>nice
>>if they did--we can have a BOF session too.
>>
>>Si
>>
>>David Welton wrote:
>>

>>>If anyone is of a mind to give a talk about OFBiz at OSCON, the
>>>deadline is approaching...
>>>
>>>http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2006/create/e_sess/
>>>
>>>--
>>>David N. Welton
>>>- http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/
>>>
>>>Linux, Open Source Consulting
>>>- http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Dev - OSCON presentation deadline

byersa
I see that there is also an opportunity to do 3 hour tutorials and they
pay your plane fare for tutorials.

-Al

David E. Jones wrote:

>Si,
>
>What was the topic of your proposed presentation? I am thinking of
>submitting one as well but don't want to overlap...
>
>Actually for everyone else: what topics related to OFBiz would you
>like to see at OSCON (considering this would be an intro to OFBiz for
>lots of people)? I'm thinking about something along the lines of
>showing off the framework to demonstrate how complex enterprise apps
>can be developed efficiently... (along the lines of a flexible J2EE-
>based RAD idea).
>
>-David
>

>On Feb 9, 2006, at 9:34 AM, Si Chen wrote:
>

>>I submitted a proposal.  We'll see if they like the idea.  Would be
>>nice
>>if they did--we can have a BOF session too.
>>
>>Si
>>
>>David Welton wrote:
>>

>>>If anyone is of a mind to give a talk about OFBiz at OSCON, the
>>>deadline is approaching...
>>>
>>>http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2006/create/e_sess/
>>>
>>>--
>>>David N. Welton
>>>- http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/
>>>
>>>Linux, Open Source Consulting
>>>- http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Dev - OSCON presentation deadline

davidnwelton
> Since 2001, the Open For Business project (www.ofbiz.org) has been doing exactly that.  Now part of the Apache Software Foundation,

To be picky: it isn't, yet, it's in incubation. If everything goes
well it will be a full fledged project soon, but you guys need to be
careful with that one, because it can be a touchy subject with some of
the folks at the ASF (for instance, a company recently made some press
releases about a project still under incubation as being officially
accepted, which ruffled some feathers).

It would certainly be cool to meet people there... it's tempting,
because I'll be going home to Eugene this summer, which is pretty
close, all things considered.  I submitted a talk on Hecl, but I
suspect the competition's a bit too fierce for anything still so
alpha-ish/unknown:-)

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Dev - OSCON presentation deadline

Si Chen-2
Oops.  My apologies.  I typed those notes up on the plane, then
remembered this point, and then forgot to change it.  So sorry.  Please
direct all ruffled feathers to me.

Si

David Welton wrote:

>>Since 2001, the Open For Business project (www.ofbiz.org) has been doing exactly that.  Now part of the Apache Software Foundation,
>>

>To be picky: it isn't, yet, it's in incubation. If everything goes
>well it will be a full fledged project soon, but you guys need to be
>careful with that one, because it can be a touchy subject with some of
>the folks at the ASF (for instance, a company recently made some press
>releases about a project still under incubation as being officially
>accepted, which ruffled some feathers).
>
>It would certainly be cool to meet people there... it's tempting,
>because I'll be going home to Eugene this summer, which is pretty
>close, all things considered.  I submitted a talk on Hecl, but I
>suspect the competition's a bit too fierce for anything still so
>alpha-ish/unknown:-)
>
>--
>David N. Welton
> - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/
>
>Linux, Open Source Consulting
> - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Dev - OSCON presentation deadline

Vinay Agarwal
Si,

Can I suggest adding some of the following?
1. Where we expect OFBiz to be in one year from now (features, adoption
etc.)
2. Where it stands in the ecosystem. This could include a comparison with
competing applications (e.g. NetSuite, Compiere, osCommerce etc) and
comparison of its framework with others (e.g. JSF, Cacoon). A mention of RIA
technologies like Ajax and how OFBiz could use them would also be helpful.
3. What areas does OFBiz need development help and what developer background
is needed for that.

Regards,
Vinay Agarwal

Re: Dev - OSCON presentation deadline

Those are good suggestions.  Thanks!  I'll be incorporating them into my
talk this Sunday.

Si

Vinay Agarwal wrote:

>Si,
>
>Can I suggest adding some of the following?
>1. Where we expect OFBiz to be in one year from now (features, adoption
>etc.)
>2. Where it stands in the ecosystem. This could include a comparison with
>competing applications (e.g. NetSuite, Compiere, osCommerce etc) and
>comparison of its framework with others (e.g. JSF, Cacoon). A mention of RIA
>technologies like Ajax and how OFBiz could use them would also be helpful.
>3. What areas does OFBiz need development help and what developer background
>is needed for that.
>
>Regards,
>Vinay Agarwal

Al,

I missed that one.   Can you point out the link?

David,

Are you up for doing a 3-hour tutorial, or splitting it?

Si

Al Byers wrote:

>I see that there is also an opportunity to do 3 hour tutorials and they
>pay your plane fare for tutorials.
>
>-Al
>
>David E. Jones wrote:
>

>>Si,
>>
>>What was the topic of your proposed presentation? I am thinking of
>>submitting one as well but don't want to overlap...
>>
>>Actually for everyone else: what topics related to OFBiz would you
>>like to see at OSCON (considering this would be an intro to OFBiz for
>>lots of people)? I'm thinking about something along the lines of
>>showing off the framework to demonstrate how complex enterprise apps
>>can be developed efficiently... (along the lines of a flexible J2EE-
>>based RAD idea).
>>
>>-David
>>

>>On Feb 9, 2006, at 9:34 AM, Si Chen wrote:
>>

>>>I submitted a proposal.  We'll see if they like the idea.  Would be
>>>nice
>>>if they did--we can have a BOF session too.
>>>
>>>Si

Re: Dev - OSCON presentation deadline

byersa
Si,

It was there on the same "Call for Participation" screen that David
Welton gave us,
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2006/create/e_sess/. It mentions
it in the first paragraph and it is one of the "Proposal Type" options.

-Al

Si Chen wrote:

>Al,
>
>I missed that one.   Can you point out the link?
>
>David,
>
>Are you up for doing a 3-hour tutorial, or splitting it?
>
>Si
>
>Al Byers wrote:
>

>>I see that there is also an opportunity to do 3 hour tutorials and they
>>pay your plane fare for tutorials.
>>
>>-Al
>>
>>David E. Jones wrote:
>>

>>>Si,
>>>
>>>What was the topic of your proposed presentation? I am thinking of
>>>submitting one as well but don't want to overlap...
>>>
>>>Actually for everyone else: what topics related to OFBiz would you
>>>like to see at OSCON (considering this would be an intro to OFBiz for
>>>lots of people)? I'm thinking about something along the lines of
>>>showing off the framework to demonstrate how complex enterprise apps
>>>can be developed efficiently... (along the lines of a flexible J2EE-
>>>based RAD idea).
>>>
>>>-David

Re: Dev - OSCON presentation deadline

davidnwelton
I'd suggest submitting proposals for both - have a look at the tracks
and speakers for last year:

http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2005/

Definitely the 'a-list' in the open source world, so it's going to be
tough competition.  Having a few different options will probably
increase your chances.

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/