Does latest trunk require Java 1.6?

Vince Clark
Surely this is not the case. But I am trying to start OfBiz using 1.5 and getting the following:

2008-08-07 16:37:22,529 (main) [ GenericDelegator.java:217:INFO ] Delegator "default" initializing helper "localpostgres" for entity group "org.ofbiz".
2008-08-07 16:37:22,538 (main) [ GenericDelegator.java:234:INFO ] Doing database check as requested in entityengine.xml with addMissing=true
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)

I was running Java 6 on Ubuntu but it was causing Eclipse fits and crashing all the time. So I removed Java 6 and reinstalled 5. Now I can't get OfBiz to start. I can build with no errors, but when I try to start it gives me the above error.

Re: Does latest trunk require Java 1.6?

BJ Freeman
do you have the correct postgresql jar in the framework\entity\lib\jdbc

Vince M. Clark sent the following on 8/7/2008 2:57 PM:

> Surely this is not the case. But I am trying to start OfBiz using 1.5 and getting the following:
>
> 2008-08-07 16:37:22,529 (main) [ GenericDelegator.java:217:INFO ] Delegator "default" initializing helper "localpostgres" for entity group "org.ofbiz".
> 2008-08-07 16:37:22,538 (main) [ GenericDelegator.java:234:INFO ] Doing database check as requested in entityengine.xml with addMissing=true
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
> at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:620)
> at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)
>

> I was running Java 6 on Ubuntu but it was causing Eclipse fits and crashing all the time. So I removed Java 6 and reinstalled 5. Now I can't get OfBiz to start. I can build with no errors, but when I try to start it gives me the above error.

Re: Does latest trunk require Java 1.6?

sorry did not see the bottom
did you do a
ant clean
and
then
ant run-install

Vince M. Clark sent the following on 8/7/2008 2:57 PM:

> Surely this is not the case. But I am trying to start OfBiz using 1.5 and getting the following:
>
> 2008-08-07 16:37:22,529 (main) [ GenericDelegator.java:217:INFO ] Delegator "default" initializing helper "localpostgres" for entity group "org.ofbiz".
> 2008-08-07 16:37:22,538 (main) [ GenericDelegator.java:234:INFO ] Doing database check as requested in entityengine.xml with addMissing=true
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
> at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:620)
> at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)
>

> I was running Java 6 on Ubuntu but it was causing Eclipse fits and crashing all the time. So I removed Java 6 and reinstalled 5. Now I can't get OfBiz to start. I can build with no errors, but when I try to start it gives me the above error.

Re: Does latest trunk require Java 1.6?

Vince Clark
yes I did ant clean. Even downloaded a new checkout from trunk after getting rid of Java 6.

I think the postgres jar file is the more likely culprit. But I don't recall downloading a postgres jar file specific to Java 6. Going to look at postgres downloads now.

Vince M. Clark sent the following on 8/7/2008 2:57 PM:

> Surely this is not the case. But I am trying to start OfBiz using 1.5 and getting the following:
>
> 2008-08-07 16:37:22,529 (main) [ GenericDelegator.java:217:INFO ] Delegator "default" initializing helper "localpostgres" for entity group "org.ofbiz".
> 2008-08-07 16:37:22,538 (main) [ GenericDelegator.java:234:INFO ] Doing database check as requested in entityengine.xml with addMissing=true
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
> at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:620)
> at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)
>

> I was running Java 6 on Ubuntu but it was causing Eclipse fits and crashing all the time. So I removed Java 6 and reinstalled 5. Now I can't get OfBiz to start. I can build with no errors, but when I try to start it gives me the above error.

Re: Does latest trunk require Java 1.6?

Vince Clark
I don't see anything on Postgres jdbc downloads that would make any difference. The latest driver just says it requires Java 1.4 or later.
Vince M. Clark sent the following on 8/7/2008 2:57 PM:

> Surely this is not the case. But I am trying to start OfBiz using 1.5 and getting the following:
>
> 2008-08-07 16:37:22,529 (main) [ GenericDelegator.java:217:INFO ] Delegator "default" initializing helper "localpostgres" for entity group "org.ofbiz".
> 2008-08-07 16:37:22,538 (main) [ GenericDelegator.java:234:INFO ] Doing database check as requested in entityengine.xml with addMissing=true
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
> at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:620)
> at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)
>

> I was running Java 6 on Ubuntu but it was causing Eclipse fits and crashing all the time. So I removed Java 6 and reinstalled 5. Now I can't get OfBiz to start. I can build with no errors, but when I try to start it gives me the above error.

Re: Does latest trunk require Java 1.6?

Ray-91
You could have extra class files cached from previous runs. Certainly
doesn't look like a postgres jar file problem specifically.

Catalina is the favourite for temporary class files so possibly try this
first:
  ant clean-catalina
and if you browse through the build.xml file you'll find a few others
that get run when using:
  ant clean-all
Be WARNED though "clean-all" is a little more aggressive in that it
clears the derby database folder along with lots of other runtime files.
Really puts you back to a clean checkout so make sure you've got your
data backed up if required, although it won't delete your postgres data :-)

Ray

Vince M. Clark wrote:

> I don't see anything on Postgres jdbc downloads that would make any difference. The latest driver just says it requires Java 1.4 or later.

I confirm it runs here with Sun jdk 1.5 (On Windows XpSp2 ands Ubuntu 8.04 LTW)

Jacques

From: "Ray" <[hidden email]>

> You could have extra class files cached from previous runs. Certainly
> doesn't look like a postgres jar file problem specifically.
>
> Catalina is the favourite for temporary class files so possibly try this
> first:
>  ant clean-catalina
> and if you browse through the build.xml file you'll find a few others
> that get run when using:
>  ant clean-all
> Be WARNED though "clean-all" is a little more aggressive in that it
> clears the derby database folder along with lots of other runtime files.
> Really puts you back to a clean checkout so make sure you've got your
> data backed up if required, although it won't delete your postgres data :-)
>
> Ray
>

> Vince M. Clark wrote:
>> I don't see anything on Postgres jdbc downloads that would make any difference. The latest driver just says it requires Java 1.4
>> or later.

I went back and looked at the postgres driver again and sure enough there is a difference. I was using a driver labeled JDBC4, which only works with jdk 1.6. I switched back to a jdbc3 driver and jdk 1.5 is working now.

From: "Ray" <[hidden email]>