Hierachy of Decision making in a community

Hierachy of Decision making in a community

BJ Freeman
If this is truly a community, and there are people involved that really
have knowledge about something, What is the Hierarchy of Decisions based
on the ASF way?

Or is this a vialed attempt to look like a community with only one
persons Making the decisions.

 From what I have seen certain individuals do commit and contribute,
without a problem. So this is not a one man show.

What seems to be the questions is the guidelines for making decisions.
it is truly a community when all seem to have access to the guidelines.

I think getting a set of guidelines for all to have access to would
alleviate the pressure felt when there is an disagreement.

I have purchased the Vol 1 and II and will begin reading them this
winter, maybe on the train ride to Portland.

So if there are other documents that are involved, I will purchase or
read those.

Just point me to the documents that define the framework for decision
making on this project.

Re: Hierachy of Decision making in a community

David E Jones-2

BJ Freeman wrote:

> If this is truly a community, and there are people involved that really
> have knowledge about something, What is the Hierarchy of Decisions based
> on the ASF way?
>
> Or is this a vialed attempt to look like a community with only one
> persons Making the decisions.
>
>  From what I have seen certain individuals do commit and contribute,
> without a problem. So this is not a one man show.
>
> What seems to be the questions is the guidelines for making decisions.
> it is truly a community when all seem to have access to the guidelines.
>
> I think getting a set of guidelines for all to have access to would
> alleviate the pressure felt when there is an disagreement.
I'm not sure what sort of guidelines would be applicable here. Because of human nature the possible problems arising are nearly limitless...

Still, I guess the basic structure is simple. The committers make the decisions. Of course, part of the responsibility of being a committer (as described in the OFBiz Committers Roles and Responsibilities page, linked to below), is facilitating community interaction and contributions, so a lot of this "decision making" is just review, feedback, and a yes or no decision on whether a patch is ready or not.

So no, committers don't drive everything that happens in the project, but they are the filter that everything goes through to try to keep the project clean and vital.

I'll talk more about the already established guidelines below.

> I have purchased the Vol 1 and II and will begin reading them this
> winter, maybe on the train ride to Portland.

Which volumes are these? I'm not aware of any books (especially specific to OFBiz) that talk about decision making guidelines like this... Actually there are some books about managing open source projects that are interesting, like:

"Producing Open Source Software" by Karl Fogel

Note that this is a very general book and is not necessarily about the ASF way or the way things are done in OFBiz. It is good general commentary and I've found it interesting and helpful. It is available for download (I have a PDF sitting on my machine), but I don't remember exactly where I downloaded.

> So if there are other documents that are involved, I will purchase or
> read those.
>
> Just point me to the documents that define the framework for decision
> making on this project.

The best documents about this for ASF are on the ASF site itself. There are quite a few things to read through in different places, but a good place to start is:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html

The whole page is good, but the Meritocracy section is especially important.

One things to keep in mind with OFBiz is that much of the software is business automation oriented and not technical in nature. You'll see a lot of stuff written about Linux and other very technically oriented projects and those are good places to start, but I've found that certain variations on those are very important for more business oriented open source projects, especially the very few such projects that are community rather than corporate driven. So, in other words, read lightly and consider it input to be refined and then applied.

There are some OFBiz specific pages that have recently been established that cover these sorts of guidelines, so here they are:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Committers+Roles+and+Responsibilities

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Contributors+Best+Practices

A good source of information, BTW, is just glancing at the mailing list messages every so often. These documents, for example, and the direct result of discussions on the dev list and were announced there as well.

Re: Hierachy of Decision making in a community

BJ Freeman
Thank you for your response, I would suggest this be edited and publish
with other documents.

BTW the Vol 1 and 2 is the data books, got to know what I am talking
about, before making decisions. :)

David E. Jones sent the following on 7/14/2006 9:19 PM:

> [...]
> variations on those are very important for more business oriented open
> source projects, especially the very few such projects that are
> community rather than corporate driven. So, in other words, read lightly
> and consider it input to be refined and then applied.
>
> There are some OFBiz specific pages that have recently been established
> that cover these sorts of guidelines, so here they are:
>
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Committers+Roles+and+Responsibilities
>

> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Contributors+Best+Practices
>
> A good source of information, BTW, is just glancing at the mailing list
> messages every so often. These documents, for example, and the direct
> result of discussions on the dev list and were announced there as well.

Re: Hierachy of Decision making in a community

Ashish Vijaywargiya-2
David,
 Here is the book "Producing Open Source Software by Karl Fogel" link that is freely available........
http://producingoss.com/

 Regards
 Ashish Vijaywargiya
"David E. Jones" <[hidden email]> wrote:

BJ Freeman wrote:

> [...]

There are some OFBiz specific pages that have recently been established that cover these sorts of guidelines, so here they are:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Committers+Roles+and+Responsibilities

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Contributors+Best+Practices

A good source of information, BTW, is just glancing at the mailing list messages every so often. These documents, for example, and the direct result of discussions on the dev list and were announced there as well.

-David

---------------------------------
Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.  Great rates starting at 1ยข/min.

Re: Hierachy of Decision making in a community

cjhowe
Thank you Ashish, that's great reading material.  I
particularly enjoyed these two sections:

http://producingoss.com/html-chunk/setting-tone.html#prevent-rudeness

http://producingoss.com/html-chunk/social-infrastructure.html#benevolant-dictator-qualifications

For those keeping tabs, this post is admitingly,
trolling - trying to elicit a response.  Most previous
messages were offering criticism and more importantly,
solutions.

--- Ashish Vijaywargiya <[hidden email]>

1รฏยฟยฝ/min.

Re: Hierachy of Decision making in a community

David E Jones-2

Chris,

Are you implying that I might be the BD for OFBiz?

That is rather flattering, though probably not entirely correct. I'm more of an administrative assistant to the community than anything else these days... especially with the ASF effort. On the technical side if you look at the commit history over recent months you'll see that I'm responsible for very few of them in reality. Much of what I do on the technical side is review commits and issues and comments for potential problems or opportunities that might go unnoticed, and comment on them as I can.

If there is something potentially confusing or misleading I try to comment on that too, which was the case with OFBIZ-81 and my intent there was mostly to make sure the others involved with that (as I really wasn't involved with the development) did not get distracted by your comments. My hope is that those involved spent very little time on this distraction and were able to go about their efforts without worrying about it.

I'm not saying that your comments were without value, otherwise I would not have bothered to comment. I am saying that for this particular issue they were a distraction and an encouragement to go in a direction that I though was simply bad for the project, so I asserted my opinion.

In reality aside from my involvement with the initial design, direction, and "recruiting" (mostly facilitation) for OFBiz in the early stages of the project and my work to get it into the ASF family, I'm just another consultant with more financial obligations than resources who is hanging out in this little world of OFBiz (or rather, Apache OFBiz) trying catch scraps as they fall from the tables of larger projects based on the software.

I'm as powerless to assert control over the project as anyone else. In fact I have the same power as anyone else to participate and introduce new resources and possibilities for the project. Well, in reality I have far less power than many because of other liabilities that take up so much of my time. The only difference is that I've done this enough times over the years with OFBiz that it is a fairly normal mode of operating and therefore has a better chance of being accepted. Aside from that, there is nothing special about the time or money I put into the project or the opinions I express.

The real truth is I can only take credit for a minor part of OFBiz, and I'm only involved to a limited extent. Without the efforts of others, especially Andy Zeneski in the earlier years and Si Chen and Jacopo Cappellato in the last couple of years, OFBiz would simply not be what it is today. This discussion probably wouldn't even be happening because it probably would not have even been of interest to someone in your position. ;)

-David

Chris Howe wrote:

> [...]
>> driven. So, in other words, read lightly and
>> consider it input to be refined and then applied.
>>
>> There are some OFBiz specific pages that have
>> recently been established that cover these sorts of
>> guidelines, so here they are:
>>

> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Committers+Roles+and+Responsibilities
>>
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Contributors+Best+Practices
>> A good source of information, BTW, is just glancing
>> at the mailing list messages every so often. These
>> documents, for example, and the direct result of
>> discussions on the dev list and were announced there
>> as well.
>>
>> -David
>>

>> ---------------------------------
>> Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make
>> PC-to-Phone calls.  Great rates starting at
> 1รฏยฟยฝ/min.

Re: Hierachy of Decision making in a community

You're too modest, really.  I don't mean to speak for
BJ, but that's what I understood him to be implying,
as well, when he asked if this were a "vialed(sic)
attempt to look like a community with only one
persons(sic) Making the decisions."

Tonality is difficult to construe from email, I'll
admit, but the wording of your reprimand of Si's date
format commit, has to make one suspect that you see
yourself in that light as well.

You weren't saying that my comment was without value
when you said in OFBIZ-81: "I wouldn't worry too much
about this comment. It shows a misunderstanding of the
data model and the patterns we use in various places."
and "Please don't hesitate to ignore this last comment
from Chris"

What was I thinking?

>>This discussion probably wouldn't even be happening
>>because it probably would not have even been of
>>interest to someone in your position. ;)

What position do you assume that I'm in that the
general field of ERP software wouldn't be of interest
to me?

--- "David E. Jones" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]

> >> I've found it interesting and helpful. It is
> >> available for download (I have a PDF sitting on
> my
> >> machine), but I don't remember exactly where I
> >> downloaded.

> involved,
> >> I will purchase or

> >> framework for decision
> >> The best documents about this for ASF are on the
> ASF
> >> site itself. There are quite a few things to read
> >> through in different places, but a good place to
> >> start is:
> >>

> http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html
> >>
> >> The whole page is good, but the Meritocracy
> section
> >> is especially important.
> >>
> >> One things to keep in mind with OFBiz is that
> much
> >> of the software is business automation oriented

=== message truncated ===

Re: Hierachy of Decision making in a community

Jacopo Cappellato
Chris Howe wrote:
> David,
>
> Tonality is difficult to construe from email, I'll
> admit, but the wording of your reprimand of Si's date
> format commit, has to make one suspect that you see
> yourself in that light as well.

Sincerely speaking, I'd love to get more feedback on my work from David,
  because of his great experience and knowledge of OFBiz and ERP
processes; unfortunately this is not possible since reviewing the work
from others is very difficult and time consuming and he is not payed to
perform this task.

I don't think that the comment on Si's commit can be considered a
reprimand; it was just a quick review on a commit.

It is worth saying that this can be considered a very good example of
common practices described and promoted by the Apache Software Foundation:

1) Si did a commit following the CTV "Commit Then Review" startegy:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#CommitThenReview

2) David expressed a veto for this change:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#Veto

No dictatorship, just best practices adopted (in a natural way) by an
healthy and solid open source project like OFBiz is.

Chris Howe wrote:
> Tonality is difficult to construe from email, I'll
> admit, but the wording of your reprimand of Si's date
> format commit, has to make one suspect that you see
> yourself in that light as well.

What would be ideal is if there were more people watching the commit list to look for things like this... I'm happy to do so, but I do miss things or read over commit logs quickly when I'm busy.

Ideally there would be a small army evaluating my commits just like any others...

Chris Howe wrote:
> You weren't saying that my comment was without value
> when you said in OFBIZ-81: "I wouldn't worry too much
> about this comment. It shows a misunderstanding of the
> data model and the patterns we use in various places."
> and "Please don't hesitate to ignore this last comment
> from Chris"
>
> What was I thinking?

Again: general value is different from value in a context. In that context the discuss had little value in my opinion, which as you've noticed I rather enjoy freely expressing. ;)

Re: Hierachy of Decision making in a community

cjhowe
I apologize.  I forgot this was an international
mailing list and hyperbole is often times lost.  I
will refrain from using colorful language in the
future.

My comment was not meant to suggest that David's
comment was incorrect or out of line in any way.  I
was simply making the point that David too sees
himself in the role of benevolent dictator, however
recently modified.  Which, goes to the point that
David's criticism of my comment in OFBIZ-81 holds the
weight as discussed in:

--- Jacopo Cappellato <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Chris Howe wrote:
> > David,
> >
> > Tonality is difficult to construe from email, I'll
> > admit, but the wording of your reprimand of Si's
> date
> > format commit, has to make one suspect that you
> see
> > yourself in that light as well.
> >

> Sincerely speaking, I'd love to get more feedback on
> my work from David,
>   because of his great experience and knowledge of
> OFBiz and ERP
> processes; unfortunately this is not possible since
> reviewing the work
> from others is very difficult and time consuming and
> he is not payed to
> perform this task.
>
> I don't think that the comment on Si's commit can be
> considered a
> reprimand; it was just a quick review on a commit.
>
> It is worth saying that this can be considered a
> very good example of
> common practices described and promoted by the
> Apache Software Foundation:
>
> 1) Si did a commit following the CTV "Commit Then
> Review" startegy:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#CommitThenReview

> 2) David expressed a veto for this change:
>
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#Veto
>
> No dictatorship, just best practices adopted (in a
> natural way) by an
> healthy and solid open source project like OFBiz is.
>
> Jacopo

Re: Hierachy of Decision making in a community

Thanks Ashish

Jacques

starting at 1ยข/min.

Re: Hierachy of Decision making in a community

> Chris Howe wrote:
> > David,
> >
> > Tonality is difficult to construe from email, I'll
> > admit, but the wording of your reprimand of Si's date
> > format commit, has to make one suspect that you see
> > yourself in that light as well.
> >

> Sincerely speaking, I'd love to get more feedback on my work from David,
>   because of his great experience and knowledge of OFBiz and ERP
> processes; unfortunately this is not possible since reviewing the work
> from others is very difficult and time consuming and he is not payed to
> perform this task.
>
> I don't think that the comment on Si's commit can be considered a
> reprimand; it was just a quick review on a commit.
>
> It is worth saying that this can be considered a very good example of
> common practices described and promoted by the Apache Software Foundation:
>
> 1) Si did a commit following the CTV "Commit Then Review" startegy:
>
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#CommitThenReview
>
> 2) David expressed a veto for this change:
>
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#Veto
>
> No dictatorship, just best practices adopted (in a natural way) by an
> healthy and solid open source project like OFBiz is.
>
> Jacopo

Thank-you Jacopo to help us to find this that each should read (if willing to
participate at this project)

Re: Hierachy of Decision making in a community

cjhowe
In reference to the data model books you plan on
reading, the following popped up on digg.com today.

http://www.databasedev.co.uk/database_normalization_process.html

And the discussion here:

http://digg.com/programming/How_to_Normalise_Your_Database

--- BJ Freeman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If this is truly a community, and there are people
> involved that really
> have knowledge about something, What is the
> Hierarchy of Decisions based
> on the ASF way?
>
> Or is this a vialed attempt to look like a community
> with only one
> persons Making the decisions.
>
>  From what I have seen certain individuals do commit
> and contribute,
> without a problem. So this is not a one man show.
>
> What seems to be the questions is the guidelines for
> making decisions.
> it is truly a community when all seem to have access
> to the guidelines.
>

> I think getting a set of guidelines for all to have
> access to would
> alleviate the pressure felt when there is an
> disagreement.
>
> I have purchased the Vol 1 and II and will begin
> reading them this
> winter, maybe on the train ride to Portland.
>
> So if there are other documents that are involved, I
> will purchase or
> read those.
>
> Just point me to the documents that define the
> framework for decision
> making on this project.

Re: Hierachy of Decision making in a community

BJ Freeman
Actually I have been doing Daabase design since 1996.
What I have yet to get my head around is the Data modeling reference as
Entities.
Then I will go back over the email achive and see if I can apply what I
read to the rationales here.

Hopefully I will see a correlation that will let me create new entities,
or modify existing ones, with in those guidelines, so there is an
approval of my efforts.

Chris Howe sent the following on 7/16/2006 2:57 PM: