How to start with OFBiz

Sneha Chaturvedi
hello,I am new to OFBiz, Please give me some pointer to move on further for development in OFBiz.Thanks--Sneha

Re: How to start with OFBiz

BJ Freeman
welcome
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Documentation+Index

Sneha Chaturvedi sent the following on 8/2/2008 2:24 AM:
> hello,I am new to OFBiz, Please give me some pointer to move on further for development in OFBiz.Thanks--Sneha

Re: How to start with OFBiz

Chirag Manocha
Hi Sneha
U can develop  application for your practice with the following link.
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/OFBiz+Beginner%27s+Development+Guide+Using+Practice+Application

This will help you in learn a lot.

--
Thanks & Regards
Chirag Manocha
Hotwax Media Inc.
(M) +91-982-631-9099

Re: How to start with OFBiz

Milind W-2
hi,
Based on my experience which is not much so far.

1)Start my installing ofbiz
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Demo+and+Test+Setup+Guide
Make sure your JAVA_HOME environment variable is set to Java JDK.
You will have to get the source using a svn tool or you could download a
build directly from
http://build.hotwaxmedia.com/

2)Use eclipse as IDE definitely helps in searching and modifying files.
Use the  xml plugin.
http://xmlbuddy.com/2.0/licensed.html
Unzip the file in your eclipse plugin folder.

3)Download and watch the training videos (1 to 9)
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBTECH/Framework+Introduction+Videos+and+Diagrams

4)Start with Si Chens hello 1-3 tutorials.
http://www.opensourcestrategies.com/ofbiz/tutorials.php
I had trouble getting them to work but figuring out the problem has helped
me understand some of the concepts. Let me know if anyone has problems
with the tutorials and I will be glad to send the working versions I have.

5)It would be a good if you understand the concepts like 1 to 1, 1 to Many
and Many to Many relationships.
If not you should definitely familiarize your self before you start
building your own applications.

6)Try modifying existing application or create your new examples.
Post your doubts here on [hidden email] and hope someone will
answer your question and not send you general wiki links or ask you to
read a bunch of documentation.

Good luck.
-Milind

> hello,I am new to OFBiz, Please give me some pointer to move on further
> for development in OFBiz.Thanks--Sneha

Re: How to start with OFBiz

BJ Freeman
curious why you chose the example instead of
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/OFBiz+Beginner%27s+Development+Guide+Using+Practice+Application

Milind W sent the following on 8/2/2008 3:45 PM:

> hi,
> Based on my experience which is not much so far.
>
> 1)Start my installing ofbiz
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Demo+and+Test+Setup+Guide
> Make sure your JAVA_HOME environment variable is set to Java JDK.
> You will have to get the source using a svn tool or you could download a
> build directly from
> http://build.hotwaxmedia.com/
>
> 2)Use eclipse as IDE definitely helps in searching and modifying files.
> Use the  xml plugin.
> http://xmlbuddy.com/2.0/licensed.html
> Unzip the file in your eclipse plugin folder.
>
> 3)Download and watch the training videos (1 to 9)
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBTECH/Framework+Introduction+Videos+and+Diagrams
>
> 4)Start with Si Chens hello 1-3 tutorials.
> http://www.opensourcestrategies.com/ofbiz/tutorials.php
> I had trouble getting them to work but figuring out the problem has helped
> me understand some of the concepts. Let me know if anyone has problems
> with the tutorials and I will be glad to send the working versions I have.
>
> 5)It would be a good if you understand the concepts like 1 to 1, 1 to Many
> and Many to Many relationships.
> If not you should definitely familiarize your self before you start
> building your own applications.
>
> 6)Try modifying existing application or create your new examples.
> Post your doubts here on [hidden email] and hope someone will
> answer your question and not send you general wiki links or ask you to
> read a bunch of documentation.
>
> Good luck.
> -Milind
>
>> hello,I am new to OFBiz, Please give me some pointer to move on further
>> for development in OFBiz.Thanks--Sneha

Re: How to start with OFBiz

Milind W-2
hi,
I chose the  hello tutorial as it provides complete code (at least screen
shots of the code).

The wiki tutorial just list the steps without any code for accomplishing
the steps. I don't think its very useful for a newbie.

e.g
"Define services for CRUD operations for Party entity. Name of services
will be createPracticeParty, updatePracticeParty, deletePracticeParty"

How should the newbie figure out what should be the content of each of
those services.
Yes you can try to figure out stuff by looking at example but it's easier
to having a independent working tutorial with complete code.

It would be nice to have hello4  hello5 ... each explaining one  concept
at a time with complete code.
So hello4 could be how to enable security. Hello5 could how to send and
setup email etc...

I don't mind taking a crack it I keep making progress with ofbiz.

Thanks
-Milind

> curious why you chose the example instead of
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/OFBiz+Beginner%27s+Development+Guide+Using+Practice+Application
>

> Milind W sent the following on 8/2/2008 3:45 PM:
>> hi,
>> Based on my experience which is not much so far.
>>
>> 1)Start my installing ofbiz
>> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Demo+and+Test+Setup+Guide
>> Make sure your JAVA_HOME environment variable is set to Java JDK.
>> You will have to get the source using a svn tool or you could download a
>> build directly from
>> http://build.hotwaxmedia.com/
>>
>> 2)Use eclipse as IDE definitely helps in searching and modifying files.
>> Use the  xml plugin.
>> http://xmlbuddy.com/2.0/licensed.html
>> Unzip the file in your eclipse plugin folder.
>>
>> 3)Download and watch the training videos (1 to 9)
>> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBTECH/Framework+Introduction+Videos+and+Diagrams
>>
>> 4)Start with Si Chens hello 1-3 tutorials.
>> http://www.opensourcestrategies.com/ofbiz/tutorials.php
>> I had trouble getting them to work but figuring out the problem has
>> helped
>> me understand some of the concepts. Let me know if anyone has problems
>> with the tutorials and I will be glad to send the working versions I
>> have.
>>
>> 5)It would be a good if you understand the concepts like 1 to 1, 1 to
>> Many
>> and Many to Many relationships.
>> If not you should definitely familiarize your self before you start
>> building your own applications.
>>
>> 6)Try modifying existing application or create your new examples.
>> Post your doubts here on [hidden email] and hope someone will
>> answer your question and not send you general wiki links or ask you to
>> read a bunch of documentation.
>>
>> Good luck.
>> -Milind
>>
>>> hello,I am new to OFBiz, Please give me some pointer to move on further
>>> for development in OFBiz.Thanks--Sneha

Re: How to start with OFBiz

BJ Freeman
So will you put your info in the wiki for others?

Milind W sent the following on 8/2/2008 6:29 PM:

From: "Milind W" <[hidden email]>

> hi,
> I chose the  hello tutorial as it provides complete code (at least screen
> shots of the code).
>
> The wiki tutorial just list the steps without any code for accomplishing
> the steps. I don't think its very useful for a newbie.
>
> e.g
> "Define services for CRUD operations for Party entity. Name of services
> will be createPracticeParty, updatePracticeParty, deletePracticeParty"

About this point the wiki tutorial could be updated/enhanced using the new engine="entity-auto" atttibute exposed in
http://www.nabble.com/The-fancy-new-entity-auto-service-execution-engine-td18674040.html

> How should the newbie figure out what should be the content of each of
> those services.
> Yes you can try to figure out stuff by looking at example but it's easier
> to having a independent working tutorial with complete code.
>
> It would be nice to have hello4  hello5 ... each explaining one  concept
> at a time with complete code.
> So hello4 could be how to enable security. Hello5 could how to send and
> setup email etc...

I'm not sure Si would allow his work, even amended to run, to be included in OFBiz documentation. We (you? ;o) could create new one
in the same spirit maybe using Example component concepts. And of course Hello4, Hello5, ... would be welcome..;

> I don't mind taking a crack it I keep making progress with ofbiz.
>
> Thanks
> -Milind
>
>> curious why you chose the example instead of
>> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/OFBiz+Beginner%27s+Development+Guide+Using+Practice+Application
>>

>> Milind W sent the following on 8/2/2008 3:45 PM:
>>> hi,
>>> Based on my experience which is not much so far.
>>>
>>> 1)Start my installing ofbiz
>>> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Demo+and+Test+Setup+Guide
>>> Make sure your JAVA_HOME environment variable is set to Java JDK.
>>> You will have to get the source using a svn tool or you could download a
>>> build directly from
>>> http://build.hotwaxmedia.com/
>>>
>>> 2)Use eclipse as IDE definitely helps in searching and modifying files.
>>> Use the  xml plugin.
>>> http://xmlbuddy.com/2.0/licensed.html
>>> Unzip the file in your eclipse plugin folder.
>>>
>>> 3)Download and watch the training videos (1 to 9)
>>> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBTECH/Framework+Introduction+Videos+and+Diagrams
>>>
>>> 4)Start with Si Chens hello 1-3 tutorials.
>>> http://www.opensourcestrategies.com/ofbiz/tutorials.php
>>> I had trouble getting them to work but figuring out the problem has
>>> helped
>>> me understand some of the concepts. Let me know if anyone has problems
>>> with the tutorials and I will be glad to send the working versions I
>>> have.
>>>
>>> 5)It would be a good if you understand the concepts like 1 to 1, 1 to
>>> Many
>>> and Many to Many relationships.
>>> If not you should definitely familiarize your self before you start
>>> building your own applications.
>>>
>>> 6)Try modifying existing application or create your new examples.
>>> Post your doubts here on [hidden email] and hope someone will
>>> answer your question and not send you general wiki links or ask you to
>>> read a bunch of documentation.
>>>
>>> Good luck.
>>> -Milind

Re: How to start with OFBiz

Milind W-2
So can I write a hello4 tutorial for illustrating security that uses
hello3 as the base with minor modifications?
Or do I need to write one from scratch?

> From: "Milind W" <[hidden email]>
>> hi,
>> I chose the  hello tutorial as it provides complete code (at least
>> screen
>> shots of the code).
>>
>> The wiki tutorial just list the steps without any code for accomplishing
>> the steps. I don't think its very useful for a newbie.
>>
>> e.g
>> "Define services for CRUD operations for Party entity. Name of services
>> will be createPracticeParty, updatePracticeParty, deletePracticeParty"
>
> About this point the wiki tutorial could be updated/enhanced using the new
> engine="entity-auto" atttibute exposed in
> http://www.nabble.com/The-fancy-new-entity-auto-service-execution-engine-td18674040.html
>
>> How should the newbie figure out what should be the content of each of
>> those services.
>> Yes you can try to figure out stuff by looking at example but it's
>> easier
>> to having a independent working tutorial with complete code.
>>
>> It would be nice to have hello4  hello5 ... each explaining one  concept
>> at a time with complete code.
>> So hello4 could be how to enable security. Hello5 could how to send and
>> setup email etc...
>
> I'm not sure Si would allow his work, even amended to run, to be included
> in OFBiz documentation. We (you? ;o) could create new one
> in the same spirit maybe using Example component concepts. And of course
> Hello4, Hello5, ... would be welcome..;

>> I don't mind taking a crack it I keep making progress with ofbiz.
>>
>> Thanks
>> -Milind
>>
>>> curious why you chose the example instead of
>>> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/OFBiz+Beginner%27s+Development+Guide+Using+Practice+Application
>>>

>>> Milind W sent the following on 8/2/2008 3:45 PM:

Re: How to start with OFBiz

Pranay Pandey
Hello Milind,

There is also a attachment for complete workable source for Practice
Application. I think you missed that.
http://docs.ofbiz.org/pages/viewpageattachments.action?pageId=4432
Yes I was about to update the tutorial for the new feature of
engine="entity-auto" there.
I will be more then happy if you would like to upgrade that.

Thanks & Regards
--
Pranay Pandey

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 2:14 AM, Milind W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So can I write a hello4 tutorial for illustrating security that uses
> hello3 as the base with minor modifications?
> Or do I need to write one from scratch?
>
> > From: "Milind W" <[hidden email]>
> >> hi,
> >> I chose the  hello tutorial as it provides complete code (at least
> >> screen
> >> shots of the code).
> >>
> >> The wiki tutorial just list the steps without any code for accomplishing
> >> the steps. I don't think its very useful for a newbie.
> >>
> >> e.g
> >> "Define services for CRUD operations for Party entity. Name of services
> >> will be createPracticeParty, updatePracticeParty, deletePracticeParty"
> >
> > About this point the wiki tutorial could be updated/enhanced using the
> new
> > engine="entity-auto" atttibute exposed in
> >
> http://www.nabble.com/The-fancy-new-entity-auto-service-execution-engine-td18674040.html
> >
> >> How should the newbie figure out what should be the content of each of
> >> those services.
> >> Yes you can try to figure out stuff by looking at example but it's
> >> easier
> >> to having a independent working tutorial with complete code.
> >>
> >> It would be nice to have hello4  hello5 ... each explaining one  concept
> >> at a time with complete code.
> >> So hello4 could be how to enable security. Hello5 could how to send and
> >> setup email etc...
> >
> > I'm not sure Si would allow his work, even amended to run, to be included
> > in OFBiz documentation. We (you? ;o) could create new one
> > in the same spirit maybe using Example component concepts. And of course
> > Hello4, Hello5, ... would be welcome..;
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jacques
> >
> >> I don't mind taking a crack it I keep making progress with ofbiz.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> -Milind

> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/OFBiz+Beginner%27s+Development+Guide+Using+Practice+Application

> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBTECH/Framework+Introduction+Videos+and+Diagrams

Re: How to start with OFBiz

Sneha Chaturvedi
Thanks Pranay.
I refered that and found good for a bigginer as this gives the
links to various doc links to reach on ofbiz site and at the moment
where its needed.

Sneha

wrote:

> So can I write a hello4 tutorial for illustrating security that uses
> hello3 as the base with minor modifications?
> Or do I need to write one from scratch?
>
> > From: "Milind W" <[hidden email]>
> >> hi,
> >> I chose the  hello tutorial as it provides complete code (at
least
> >> screen
> >> shots of the code).
> >>
> >> The wiki tutorial just list the steps without any code for
accomplishing
> >> the steps. I don't think its very useful for a newbie.
> >>
> >> e.g
> >> "Define services for CRUD operations for Party entity. Name
of services
> >> will be createPracticeParty, updatePracticeParty,
deletePracticeParty"

> > About this point the wiki tutorial could be updated/enhanced using
the
> new
> > engine="entity-auto" atttibute exposed in

http://www.nabble.com/The-fancy-new-entity-auto-service-execution-engine-td18674040.html

> >> How should the newbie figure out what should be the content of
each of
> >> those services.
> >> Yes you can try to figure out stuff by looking at example but
it's
> >> easier
> >> to having a independent working tutorial with complete code.
> >>
> >> It would be nice to have hello4  hello5 ... each explaining one
concept
> >> at a time with complete code.
> >> So hello4 could be how to enable security. Hello5 could how to
send and
> >> setup email etc...
> >
> > I'm not sure Si would allow his work, even amended to run, to be
included
> > in OFBiz documentation. We (you? ;o) could create new one
> > in the same spirit maybe using Example component concepts. And of
course
> > Hello4, Hello5, ... would be welcome..;
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jacques
> >
> >> I don't mind taking a crack it I keep making progress with
ofbiz.

> >> Thanks
> >> -Milind

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/OFBiz+Beginner%27s+Development+Guide+Using+Practice+Application

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Demo+and+Test+Setup+Guide
Java JDK.

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBTECH/Framework+Introduction+Videos+and+Diagrams

someone will

to move on

Re: How to start with OFBiz

I look forward to you add the entity-auto.
thanks for you work.

Pranay Pandey sent the following on 8/3/2008 10:06 PM:

Thanks BJ,

Its done.

--
Thanks & Regards