Java installation nightmare CentOS 5

wikitec
Hi Folks

Being a meticulous individual, I am in the process of installing Sun SDK
(replacing the existing gij GNU libgcj version).  After a couple of days of
exhaustive trial and error and am completely bamboozled.

Can someone kindly steer me in the right direction.

It seems that after installing Sun SDK 5 or 1.5 using RPM I do a whereis and
I still get the existing GNU licensed Java rather than the new.  Even when I
uninstall the existing Java (old) whereis cannot find Java at all.  My
feelings on the matter are the home environment, however not being too
familiar with linux I feel stuck at this point

Thanks in advance

Phil

Re: Java installation nightmare CentOS 5

Christian Geisert
Philip Laing schrieb:

> Hi Folks
>
> Being a meticulous individual, I am in the process of installing Sun SDK
> (replacing the existing gij GNU libgcj version).  After a couple of days of
> exhaustive trial and error and am completely bamboozled.
>
> Can someone kindly steer me in the right direction.
>
> It seems that after installing Sun SDK 5 or 1.5 using RPM I do a whereis and
> I still get the existing GNU licensed Java rather than the new.  Even when I
> uninstall the existing Java (old) whereis cannot find Java at all.  My
> feelings on the matter are the home environment, however not being too
> familiar with linux I feel stuck at this point

I don't know CentOS (IIRC it's a Red Hat based distro)

but for building/running OFBiz it should be enough to set the JAVA_HOME
environment variable with the following command:

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun

Christian

Re: Java installation nightmare CentOS 5

rp-4
Hi Phil,

When you install RPM from Sun it puts the Java in /usr/java/jdk1.5.XXX
(raplace XXX with you minor version)

The whereis command uses an internal database that is not immediately
refreshed, when you unistall or install RPM. It is refreshed once a day by
default. Check your cron.

You can also use the command find. Ex: find / -name java
This command scans the disk for files with name java. It can be slow.

Regards,
Renato

> Hi Folks
>

> Being a meticulous individual, I am in the process of installing Sun SDK
> (replacing the existing gij GNU libgcj version).  After a couple of days
> of
> exhaustive trial and error and am completely bamboozled.
>

> Can someone kindly steer me in the right direction.
>

> It seems that after installing Sun SDK 5 or 1.5 using RPM I do a whereis
> and
> I still get the existing GNU licensed Java rather than the new.  Even when
> uninstall the existing Java (old) whereis cannot find Java at all.  My
> feelings on the matter are the home environment, however not being too
> familiar with linux I feel stuck at this point
>

> Thanks in advance
>

> Phil

Re: Java installation nightmare CentOS 5

each distro seems todo things different.
for instance where I put the rc script is in /etc/rc.d/init.d
also depending on the distro are commands to setup which verison of java
your running.
to make sure that I am running the correct version
I chose the hack way.
JAVA_BINARY=/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_15/bin/java
OFBIZ_HOME=/opt/apacheofbiz
OFBIZ_LOG=$OFBIZ_HOME/runtime/logs/console.log
Note I am running ver4.0 not trunk

Philip Laing sent the following on 10/24/2007 12:25 AM:

> Hi Folks
>

> Being a meticulous individual, I am in the process of installing Sun SDK
> (replacing the existing gij GNU libgcj version).  After a couple of days of
> exhaustive trial and error and am completely bamboozled.
>

> Can someone kindly steer me in the right direction.
>

> It seems that after installing Sun SDK 5 or 1.5 using RPM I do a whereis and
> I still get the existing GNU licensed Java rather than the new.  Even when I
> uninstall the existing Java (old) whereis cannot find Java at all.  My
> feelings on the matter are the home environment, however not being too
> familiar with linux I feel stuck at this point
>

> Thanks in advance
>

> Phil

Re: Java installation nightmare CentOS 5

Walter Vaughan
Philip Laing wrote:

> Can someone kindly steer me in the right direction.

Here's where Ubuntu "just works better".
With an Ubuntu server CD, 30-45 minutes and an internet connection and less than
a dozen steps you can install OFBiz on a barebones box, with no magic incantations.

I don't have the time, but perhaps even a better long term solution for a OFBiz
demo would be to have a script that builds a bootable iso for a flash/thumb/jump
drive.

Might be a nice hobby to do over the Chrismas Holdays.

Re: Java installation nightmare CentOS 5

De : "Walter Vaughan" <[hidden email]>
> Philip Laing wrote:
>
> > Can someone kindly steer me in the right direction.
>
> Here's where Ubuntu "just works better".
> With an Ubuntu server CD, 30-45 minutes and an internet connection and less than
> a dozen steps you can install OFBiz on a barebones box, with no magic incantations.

Yes, that's true !

> I don't have the time, but perhaps even a better long term solution for a OFBiz
> demo would be to have a script that builds a bootable iso for a flash/thumb/jump
> drive.

Sounds like a good plan !

> Might be a nice hobby to do over the Chrismas Holdays.

I already seen something like that, but it's look like nobody get the time. Or rather is there not still an issue with sun JDK ? I
mean from the licence POV.

Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Or rather is there not still an issue with sun JDK ? I
> mean from the licence POV.

Of course the future is Java7 known as OpenJDK
http://openjdk.java.net/legal/gplv2+ce.html

IANAL but... Looks like a doable thing...

Of course, not hosted at ofbiz.apache.org, but rather something like sourceforge.

Re: Java installation nightmare CentOS 5

unfortunately when using hosting services you can not always choose the
one you(general) want.
where would be a good place to put such a list.
possibly wiki

Walter Vaughan sent the following on 10/24/2007 5:23 AM:

De : "Walter Vaughan" <[hidden email]>

> Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>
> > Or rather is there not still an issue with sun JDK ? I
> > mean from the licence POV.
>
> Of course the future is Java7 known as OpenJDK
> http://openjdk.java.net/legal/gplv2+ce.html
>
> IANAL but... Looks like a doable thing...
>
> Of course, not hosted at ofbiz.apache.org, but rather something like sourceforge.

Yes, because even with the OpenJdk we are still with a GPL... There is also Apache Harmony, but still a lot of work...

RE: Java installation nightmare CentOS 5 - Ubuntu

wikitec

Hi Walter
Would you care to elaborate and I will move over to Ubuntu Server and make
an observation on Wiki

What benefits do I receive?
Is the correct Sun JDK Java installed?
What version of Postgres is installed?

Any problems I might need to look out for

Thanks

Phil

Personnaly I prefer to use Ubuntu 6.06 LTS. 6.06 indicates that this version was launched in june 2006. Last version is just out :
7.10, an intermediate version. LTS stands for Long Time Support, ie 5 years. . Intermediate version have plenty of new things but
can't be viewed as stable as LTS (Debian's spirit : take your time) and are not supported at a business level (if you really need
some help with an issue in production or such).

De : "Philip Laing" <[hidden email]>

> Hi Walter
> Would you care to elaborate and I will move over to Ubuntu Server and make
> an observation on Wiki
>
> What benefits do I receive?

I'm primarily a Windows user and I can certify that Ubuntu is really easy to install and use. One one of the advantages is that
there are plenty of forums to help. And actually Ubuntu is founded on Debian so you also benefit of all the knowledge of this
community. For instance http://wiki.serios.net/wiki/Ubuntu_Java_JRE/JDK_installation_with_java-package or
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java

> Is the correct Sun JDK Java installed?

No but it's not hard to install (see above)
You can have many java version installed and use "sudo update-alternatives --config java" to choice the java version you want to use
(to know the current : "java -version").

Note : with Ubuntu 7.04 you have the Sun jdk 1.6 pre-installed

> What version of Postgres is installed?

I believe on 6.06 it's still 7.4 by default (not sure). But anyway you can upgrade easily
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PostgreSQL?highlight=%28postgres%29

> Any problems I might need to look out for

I can't see any for of course you will cross some...

> Phil

Thank Jacques

Yes I have just downloaded 7.10 and in the meantime have looked at java wiki
info ... it looked to be a much better solution and most importantly the
documentation is well planned and more ubundant ... on that note I would
have to say documentaiton is where a lot of open source projects fall down.
Once I get ofbiz up and running I will be more than happy to donate my time
to the documentation as long as the wiki is easy to access

I have to agree Ubuntu is the way to go especially if you are more used to
windows gui than linux command prompt terminal and do not wish to wayed
through copious amounts of fragmented documentation to execute a task

Thanks for everyones input on this matter

Phil

De : "Philip Laing" <[hidden email]>
> Thank Jacques
>
> Yes I have just downloaded 7.10 and in the meantime have looked at java wiki
> info ... it looked to be a much better solution and most importantly the
> documentation is well planned and more ubundant ... on that note I would
> have to say documentaiton is where a lot of open source projects fall down.
> Once I get ofbiz up and running I will be more than happy to donate my time
> to the documentation as long as the wiki is easy to access

To acces the wiki you just have to create a profil. Then you can begin to work in your own pages and submit your work to integration
latter. For the pages you want to modify/add but have not yet access you can use comments and ask them for being included in the
page.

Jacques