License problems

Adam Heath-2
In the LICENSE file at the top of the ofbiz tree, there is a segment of
files that are under a BSD license.  However, what follows is *NOT* the
actual license they are under, but a generic BSD-template.  This means
we are not actually including the license each of those files is under.

Additionally, many files do *NOT* list the location where they were
fetched from; ie, no upstream location.  There is also no mention of the
author(which is somewhat related).

My suggestion in fixing this, is to use a format that is a bit more easy
for automated programs to parse; the current LICENSE file is rather
free-form.  Something along these lines:

Name: foobar
Homepage: http://www.foobar.com/
Version: 1.2-3rc1
Authors:
  Some Body <[hidden email]>
  long description
Files:
  framework/base/lib/foobar.jar
  framework/images/webapp/images/foobar/foo.js
  framework/images/webapp/images/foobar/bar.js
Common-License: APL 2.0
  or
Common-License:
  <license text>

You will note that this format is compatible with debian control files.
  However, I'm not married to it; any parseable file will do.

Re: License problems

Jacopo Cappellato-3
Before doing any changes to the format of the license file, we should
carefully review the ASF guidelines, so that the license file (as it
should be now now) will follow the same format used by the other ASF
projects (and ASF recommendations).
I don't think the Authors section make a big sense for most (if not
all) the Open Source projects we are using.

Jacopo

On Aug 10, 2008, at 6:23 AM, Adam Heath wrote:

> In the LICENSE file at the top of the ofbiz tree, there is a segment
> of files that are under a BSD license.  However, what follows is
> *NOT* the actual license they are under, but a generic BSD-
> template.  This means we are not actually including the license each
> of those files is under.
>
> Additionally, many files do *NOT* list the location where they were
> fetched from; ie, no upstream location.  There is also no mention of
> the author(which is somewhat related).
>
> My suggestion in fixing this, is to use a format that is a bit more
> easy for automated programs to parse; the current LICENSE file is
> rather free-form.  Something along these lines:
>
> Name: foobar
> Homepage: http://www.foobar.com/
> Version: 1.2-3rc1
> Authors:
> Some Body <[hidden email]>
> long description
> Files:
> framework/base/lib/foobar.jar
> framework/images/webapp/images/foobar/foo.js
> framework/images/webapp/images/foobar/bar.js
> Common-License: APL 2.0
> or
> Common-License:
> <license text>
>
> You will note that this format is compatible with debian control
> files.  However, I'm not married to it; any parseable file will do.

Re: License problems

if I remember the discussion correctly, it was that since the
author(supposedly) was in the svn history, it was not necessary to have
the author in the header. I don't remember it being against the ASF policy.
From the few licenses I reviewed through the svn explorer they are more
verbose and varied than the one in ofbiz.
Httpd ver 2.2 see LICENSE 613311

Adam Heath sent the following on 8/9/2008 9:23 PM:

BJ Freeman wrote:
> if I remember the discussion correctly, it was that since the
> author(supposedly) was in the svn history, it was not necessary to have
> the author in the header. I don't remember it being against the ASF policy.
> From the few licenses I reviewed through the svn explorer they are more
> verbose and varied than the one in ofbiz.
> Httpd ver 2.2 see LICENSE 613311

The author is not in svn.  That author field is for the *upstream*
imported software, not for the ofbiz code.

Another issue: the LICENSE file included in all the ofbiz-built jars
should contain the *ofbiz* license; the jar files do *not* contain code
for external projects, so including all the other licenses is superfluous.

Re: License problems

Jacopo Cappellato-3
On Aug 10, 2008, at 7:58 PM, Adam Heath wrote:

> BJ Freeman wrote:
>> if I remember the discussion correctly, it was that since the
>> author(supposedly) was in the svn history, it was not necessary to
>> have
>> the author in the header. I don't remember it being against the ASF
>> policy.
>> From the few licenses I reviewed through the svn explorer they are
>> more
>> verbose and varied than the one in ofbiz.
>> Httpd ver 2.2 see LICENSE 613311
>
> The author is not in svn.  That author field is for the *upstream*
> imported software, not for the ofbiz code.
>
> Another issue: the LICENSE file included in all the ofbiz-built jars
> should contain the *ofbiz* license; the jar files do *not* contain
> code for external projects, so including all the other licenses is
> superfluous.
Adam,

with the premise that I don't know much about licenses and best
practices around them, I know that we did a bunch of work to reach the
acceptance of the strict rules of the ASF during our Incubation. There
were al lot of discussions in the Incubator public mailing lists and
in the OFBiz lists and also some ASF guys reviewed the License stuff
in OFBiz at that time.
So, before we take any decision on the format and content of license
artifacts in OFBiz, we should really understand and read all the
requirements and directives of the ASF, maybe you already did this,
and this would be great, but possibly you are using the pattern you
have used for other projects, and them could not work for the ASF.

Just my 2 cents,