Multiple images and thumbnail images

rohit
hi,

Ofbiz provides great flexibility when it allows one to be able to upload upto 4 images of different size for a product. But many like me have one single big image of a product which can be used for all small, medium, large and detail images. As of now one would have to create 3 additional image from the images, which is very tiring, can it not be possible for the system to automatically generate smaller images from the large image if the smaller ones are not present (currently it show no image).

The bigger image may be served as small images also, but it prolongs the page loading time and the image is not appealing at all.

Any suggestions or ideas of how it can be done are welcome.

rohit

Re: Users - Multiple images and thumbnail images

Daniel Kunkel
Hi

One solution is to pre-process the pictures into different sizes. This
is good because it avoids server processing, and easy because it can be
run as a shell script, but does involve creating 3 more files for every
picture.

For the shell script I used ImageMagick, a great open source commandline
utility for processing graphics.

I just wrote a linux shell script to resize the pictures.

Good luck

Daniel

On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 05:48 -0700, rohit2006 wrote:

> hi,
>
> Ofbiz provides great flexibility when it allows one to be able to upload
> upto 4 images of different size for a product. But many like me have one
> single big image of a product which can be used for all small, medium, large
> and detail images. As of now one would have to create 3 additional image
> from the images, which is very tiring, can it not be possible for the system
> to automatically generate smaller images from the large image if the smaller
> ones are not present (currently it show no image).
>
> The bigger image may be served as small images also, but it prolongs the
> page loading time and the image is not appealing at all.
>
> Any suggestions or ideas of how it can be done are welcome.
>
> rohit

Daniel

*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-
Have a GREAT Day!

Daniel Kunkel           [hidden email]
BioWaves, LLC           http://www.BioWaves.com
14150 NE 20th St. Suite F1
Bellevue, WA 98007
800-734-3588    425-895-0050
http://www.Apartment-Pets.com  http://www.Focus-Illusion.com
http://www.Brain-Fun.com       http://www.ColorGlasses.com
*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-

Re: Users - Multiple images and thumbnail images

rohit
hi Daniel,

The way i was looking at is like this. Say you create a new product. You may or may not have all four images. In case you have 4 images, the system does nothing extra. If you have just one large image the system instantly creates other three images and stores them under appropriate folders and updates the database. Thus the sytem will not have to create a new image everytime when someone views the  product, since the image is alraedy there. And the admin will not have to bother about the missing smaller images, as they will be created the instant the product is added.

i guess this way it can become much more easy and user friendly. Can you also share with us the shell script to resize images and how you use them.

thanks

rohit

Re: Users - Multiple images and thumbnail images

Daniel Kunkel
Hi

Yes, you have a good point that having OFBiz automatically create and
update the pictures would be helpful...

Anyway, here's my shell script that reads in one picture type, and
creates another in various widths using ImageMagick's convert command.

#!/bin/bash

for img in *.png
do
  jpg=`echo "$img" | sed 's/png$/jpg/i'`
  echo "converting  $img to $jpg ..."
  convert -resize 60x -strip  $img ../Export/60/$jpg
  convert -resize 150x -strip $img ../Export/150/$jpg
  convert -resize 300x -strip $img ../Export/300/$jpg
  convert -resize 500x -strip $img ../Export/500/$jpg
done

On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 06:08 -0700, rohit2006 wrote:

> hi Daniel,
>
> The way i was looking at is like this. Say you create a new product. You may
> or may not have all four images. In case you have 4 images, the system does
> nothing extra. If you have just one large image the system instantly creates
> other three images and stores them under appropriate folders and updates the
> database. Thus the sytem will not have to create a new image everytime when
> someone views the  product, since the image is alraedy there. And the admin
> will not have to bother about the missing smaller images, as they will be
> created the instant the product is added.
>
> i guess this way it can become much more easy and user friendly. Can you
> also share with us the shell script to resize images and how you use them.
>
> thanks
>
> rohit

Re: Users - Multiple images and thumbnail images

Andrew Sykes
Rohit,

You could use JAI for this (Java Advanced Imaging)

There's a tutorial here...
http://java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/javaai/

There is also an example with source called "renderable scale"

Sounds like just the sort of thing you're looking for.
--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>

Re: Users - Multiple images and thumbnail images

Joe Eckard
We have an ofbiz service that handles this scenario. Once a day it
sweeps an incoming directory for image files (these are the largest,
aka detail, images), and creates the appropriate thumbnails. It also
does a few other things, like removing the product from certain
internal categories, and adding it to other internal categories. Our
naming scheme and the functionality is rather specific to our setup,
but the resize code itself is trivial. We used Jimi
(http://java.sun.com/products/jimi/), and a resize to 350x350 would
look something like this:

     Image image = Jimi.getImage(incomingFilename);
     Image resizedImage = image.getScaledInstance(350, 350,
Image.SCALE_SMOOTH);
     Jimi.putImage(resizedImage, outgoingFilename);

something interesting we discovered... simply processing the detail
image file (reading, then writing it out with no resize) reduces the
file size significantly. Also, the resized image quality is quite good.

-Joe

Joe,

What sort of license does jimi have?
--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
Sykes Development Ltd
http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: Users - Multiple images and thumbnail images

Joe Eckard
Jimi has a Sun Binary Code License, with a supplemental to cover GIF
patent issues. Looks like it's fine for end-users, but probably not
something you would want to distribute. I found some discussion of it
on a debian list via google.

Actual license:
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/group/xmltools/formatters/fop/Jimi/License

-Joe

On May 18, 2006, at 2:59 PM, Andrew Sykes wrote:

> Joe,
>
> What sort of license does jimi have?
> --
> Kind Regards
> Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
> Sykes Development Ltd
> http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: Users - Multiple images and thumbnail images

rohit

hi,

i got a bit of code that can create new images from existing images. I need some help in integrating this code with the ofbiz. The idea is to create smaller thumbnails from the larger images, if the thumbnail do not exist.

This code uses ImageIO API,
JPEGImageIO.java

This code uses Java Advanced Imaging API
JPEGJai.java

This code uses Java2D API
JPEGJ2d.java

I am not sure which can be the best for ofbiz, so i have included all three of them. I was not really able to get them work with Ofbiz due to my limited knowlegde of ofbiz. If anyone can integrate them or guide me how to do it, i will really appreciate it.

Thanks

rohit

Re: Users - Multiple images and thumbnail images

Midhat
I have only seen the first file u sent. the general methd o adding a service
to OFBiz application is
1. implement the functionality as a utility class, without any startup
methods like main etc.  ur current file is an executable class. save the
class in the package hieraricy in the src folder of the application.

2. add a service to the services.xml file lke this

    <service name="getBOMTree" default-entity-name="ProductAssoc"
engine="java"
            location="org.ofbiz.manufacturing.bom.BOMServices"
invoke="getBOMTree">
        <description>Returns a BOMTree (an object that represents a
configured bill of material tree in memory). Useful for tree traversal
(breakdown, explosion, implosion).</description>
        <attribute mode="IN" name="productId" optional="false"
type="String"/>
        <attribute mode="IN" name="type" optional="true" type="Integer"/>
        <attribute mode="IN" name="fromDate" optional="true" type="String"/>
        <attribute mode="IN" name="bomType" optional="false" type="String"/>
        <attribute mode="IN" name="quantity" optional="true" type="Double"/>
        <attribute mode="IN" name="amount" optional="true" type="Double"/>
        <attribute mode="OUT" name="tree" optional="true" type="
org.ofbiz.manufacturing.bom.BOMTree"/>
    </service>

location specifies the classfile and invoke specifies the methid in the
class. attributes are the method attributes.

3. add a request URI to controller.xml to invoke th eservice like
    <request-map uri="runBomSimulation">
        <security https="true" auth="true"/>
        <event type="service" invoke="getBOMTree"/>
        <response name="success" type="view" value="BomSimulation"/>
    </request-map>

4. link to the request map using hyperlink or form.

hope it helps

On 7/29/06, rohit2006 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi,
>
> i got a bit of code that can create new images from existing images. I
> need
> some help in integrating this code with the ofbiz. The idea is to create
> smaller thumbnails from the larger images, if the thumbnail do not exist.
>
> This code uses ImageIO API,
> http://www.nabble.com/user-files/144/JPEGImageIO.java JPEGImageIO.java
>
> This code uses Java Advanced Imaging API
> http://www.nabble.com/user-files/146/JPEGJai.java JPEGJai.java
>
> This code uses Java2D API
> http://www.nabble.com/user-files/145/JPEGJ2d.java JPEGJ2d.java
>
> I am not sure which can be the best for ofbiz, so i have included all
> three
> of them. I was not really able to get them work with Ofbiz due to my
> limited
> knowlegde of ofbiz. If anyone can integrate them or guide me how to do it,
> will really appreciate it.
>
> Thanks
>
> rohit
> Sent from the OFBiz - User forum at Nabble.com.

Re: Users - Multiple images and thumbnail images

Create a Jira. This takes care of license issues,
when you attach code.

If someone in the community has an interest or time they may pick up on it.

If you want this just for you interest then ask if someone is willing to
  do this for pay. This may not be included in ofbiz, but you can use it
your application.

rohit2006 sent the following on 7/29/2006 1:37 AM:

> hi,
>
> i got a bit of code that can create new images from existing images. I need
> some help in integrating this code with the ofbiz. The idea is to create
> smaller thumbnails from the larger images, if the thumbnail do not exist.
>
> This code uses ImageIO API,
> http://www.nabble.com/user-files/144/JPEGImageIO.java JPEGImageIO.java
>
> This code uses Java Advanced Imaging API
> http://www.nabble.com/user-files/146/JPEGJai.java JPEGJai.java
>
> This code uses Java2D API
> http://www.nabble.com/user-files/145/JPEGJ2d.java JPEGJ2d.java
>
> I am not sure which can be the best for ofbiz, so i have included all three
> of them. I was not really able to get them work with Ofbiz due to my limited
> knowlegde of ofbiz. If anyone can integrate them or guide me how to do it, i
> will really appreciate it.
>
> Thanks
>
> rohit

Re: Users - Multiple images and thumbnail images

rohit
thanks BJ,

i just uploaded the file on jira, hope somebody picks it up.

If anybody finds this feature to be useful, please vote for it:

http://jira.undersunconsulting.com/browse/OFBIZ-887

rohit

Create a Jira. This takes care of license issues,
when you attach code.

If someone in the community has an interest or time they may pick up on it.

If you want this just for you interest then ask if someone is willing to
  do this for pay. This may not be included in ofbiz, but you can use it
your application.

rohit2006 sent the following on 7/29/2006 1:37 AM:

> hi,
>
> i got a bit of code that can create new images from existing images. I need
> some help in integrating this code with the ofbiz. The idea is to create
> smaller thumbnails from the larger images, if the thumbnail do not exist.
>
> This code uses ImageIO API,
> http://www.nabble.com/user-files/144/JPEGImageIO.java JPEGImageIO.java
>
> This code uses Java Advanced Imaging API
> http://www.nabble.com/user-files/146/JPEGJai.java JPEGJai.java
>
> This code uses Java2D API
> http://www.nabble.com/user-files/145/JPEGJ2d.java JPEGJ2d.java
>
> I am not sure which can be the best for ofbiz, so i have included all three
> of them. I was not really able to get them work with Ofbiz due to my limited
> knowlegde of ofbiz. If anyone can integrate them or guide me how to do it, i
> will really appreciate it.
>
> Thanks
>
> rohit

Re: Users - Multiple images and thumbnail images

BJ Freeman
That jira is suppose to be locked. Sorry.
upload on the
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ

Rohit Sureka sent the following on 7/29/2006 6:50 AM:

> thanks BJ,
>
> i just uploaded the file on jira, hope somebody picks it up.
>
> If anybody finds this feature to be useful, please vote for it:
>
> http://jira.undersunconsulting.com/browse/OFBIZ-887
>
> rohit

i guess we cannot create new issues on this jira, but the existing ones can continue on this jira.

The files have been uploaded.

Should i create a duplicate issue on the new jira.

rohit

That jira is suppose to be locked. Sorry.
upload on the
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ

Rohit Sureka sent the following on 7/29/2006 6:50 AM:

> thanks BJ,
>
> i just uploaded the file on jira, hope somebody picks it up.
>
> If anybody finds this feature to be useful, please vote for it:
>
> http://jira.undersunconsulting.com/browse/OFBIZ-887
>
> rohit

As it was created before I think it's ok to let it there. Too much complication (duplication for instance) is not good ;o)

Jacques

> i guess we cannot create new issues on this jira, but the existing ones can continue on this jira.
>
> The files have been uploaded.
>
> Should i create a duplicate issue on the new jira.
>
> rohit

I apologize.. thought it was new.
no just leave it there.

Rohit Sureka sent the following on 7/29/2006 7:04 AM:

> i guess we cannot create new issues on this jira, but the existing ones can continue on this jira.
>
> The files have been uploaded.
>
> Should i create a duplicate issue on the new jira.
>
> rohit

cjhowe
Those files appear to be licensed by Sun under BSD +.

http://access1.sun.com/techarticles/ImagingApps/JImage.html
However, the uploaded files do not appear to contain a
copy of the license as is one of the conditions of the
license.

From: "Chris Howe" <[hidden email]>

> Those files appear to be licensed by Sun under BSD +.
>
> http://access1.sun.com/techarticles/ImagingApps/JImage.html
> However, the uploaded files do not appear to contain a
> copy of the license as is one of the conditions of the
> license.

Thanks to let us know Chris. And, rrrr, this is *bad* Rohit except if you did not know.

Jacques

> --- Rohit Sureka <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > thanks BJ,
> >
> > i just uploaded the file on jira, hope somebody
> > picks it up.
> >
> > If anybody finds this feature to be useful, please
> > vote for it:
> >
> > http://jira.undersunconsulting.com/browse/OFBIZ-887
> >
> > rohit

I meant "did not know it" of course. In this case, if it's not you that copied the files from the link above, please let know  the
person that did that in a project like "Apache OFBiz" this kind of thing is very badly seen.

> > --- Rohit Sureka <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > thanks BJ,
> > >
> > > i just uploaded the file on jira, hope somebody
> > > picks it up.
> > >
> > > If anybody finds this feature to be useful, please
> > > vote for it:
> > >
> > > http://jira.undersunconsulting.com/browse/OFBIZ-887
> > >
> > > rohit

hi Jacques,

i am sorry i didn't really know it. I found this in a tutorial and thought i will be helpful for somebody who wished to work on it.

Can i remove it, or what do u suggest i do to rectify this.

Once again my apologies for this, it was sheer ignorance, i will be more careful in future.

rohit
12