[OFBiz] Dev - Newbie's hello

Cloves Almeida
Newbie's hello

Hello all,

I decided to take on Si Chen's advice and learn OFBiz by doing. I'm proficient at Java, have read some tutorials on OFBiz and (I guess) I undestands most ofbiz concepts.

I decided that OFBiz is the most suited solution to my small business (yes, I'm a businessman!). We have some ad hoc developed COBOL legacy apps and we'd like to integrate all those data in a more flexible plataform - the good old integration nightmare.

My "learning plan" is to spend 2 to 3 months resolving JIRA issues. Then, I'll try to solve real problems in my own company and see how OFBiz handles them. If every thing goes as planned, I hope some departments would be running on OFBiz applications by September 2006.

So, given that scenario, what issue would you guys recommend for me to start?

Thanks,
C. J.

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - Newbie's hello

cjhowe
That probably depends on what you think you're going
to be spending the most time customizing to fit your
needs.  If it's simply change the appearence so it's
more intuitive to your users, I would probably suggest
working on the issues that pertain to updating the css
tags in the freemarker files.  If it's mostly going to
be creating customized screens that pull the type of
data that your company will be needing, I'd suggest
updating applications that use forms rendered in
freemarker code to use the form widget.  Share how
your company will most likely be using it and maybe we
can give a bit more guidance.

--- "Cloves J. G. Almeida" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I decided to take on Si Chen's advice and learn
> OFBiz by doing. I'm
> proficient at Java, have read some tutorials on
> OFBiz and (I guess) I
> undestands most ofbiz concepts.
>
> I decided that OFBiz is the most suited solution to
> my small business (yes,
> I'm a businessman!). We have some ad hoc developed
> COBOL legacy apps and
> we'd like to integrate all those data in a more
> flexible plataform - the
> good old integration nightmare.
>
> My "learning plan" is to spend 2 to 3 months
> resolving JIRA issues. Then,
> I'll try to solve real problems in my own company
> and see how OFBiz handles
> them. If every thing goes as planned, I hope some
> departments would be
> running on OFBiz applications by September 2006.
>
> So, given that scenario, what issue would you guys
> recommend for me to
> start?
>
> Thanks,
> C. J.

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - Newbie's hello

What areas of OFBiz would you like to learn more about?  There's
certainly plenty of help we could use.  :-)

Si

Cloves J. G. Almeida wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I decided to take on Si Chen's advice and learn OFBiz by doing. I'm
> proficient at Java, have read some tutorials on OFBiz and (I guess) I
> undestands most ofbiz concepts.
>
> I decided that OFBiz is the most suited solution to my small business
> (yes, I'm a businessman!). We have some ad hoc developed COBOL legacy
> apps and we'd like to integrate all those data in a more flexible
> plataform - the good old integration nightmare.
>
> My "learning plan" is to spend 2 to 3 months resolving JIRA issues.
> Then, I'll try to solve real problems in my own company and see how
> OFBiz handles them. If every thing goes as planned, I hope some
> departments would be running on OFBiz applications by September 2006.
>
> So, given that scenario, what issue would you guys recommend for me to
> start?
>
> Thanks,
> C. J.

Re: Dev - Newbie's hello

Cloves Almeida
First of all, I must understand what OFBiz currently offers. Then I can
compare it to my needs.

So, I guess it would help me and others if I write user documentation
based on my exploration, right?

I was browsing the product application (catalog) and found it more
complex than most companies would need. Additionally, companies use
different terms for the same thing (what you call " model #", some would
call "reference ", others would call "product code"). A very useful
feature would be "hiding" fields (not delete, fill them with good
defaults) and define "alias" for them.

So, if such feature is not there already, I could help implement. If
there is, I could write a tutorial on that.

Does it sound reasonable?

C. J.

Em Seg, 2005-11-28 às 18:43 -0800, Chris Howe escreveu:

> That probably depends on what you think you're going
> to be spending the most time customizing to fit your
> needs.  If it's simply change the appearence so it's
> more intuitive to your users, I would probably suggest
> working on the issues that pertain to updating the css
> tags in the freemarker files.  If it's mostly going to
> be creating customized screens that pull the type of
> data that your company will be needing, I'd suggest
> updating applications that use forms rendered in
> freemarker code to use the form widget.  Share how
> your company will most likely be using it and maybe we
> can give a bit more guidance.
>
> --- "Cloves J. G. Almeida" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I decided to take on Si Chen's advice and learn
> > OFBiz by doing. I'm
> > proficient at Java, have read some tutorials on
> > OFBiz and (I guess) I
> > undestands most ofbiz concepts.
> >
> > I decided that OFBiz is the most suited solution to
> > my small business (yes,
> > I'm a businessman!). We have some ad hoc developed
> > COBOL legacy apps and
> > we'd like to integrate all those data in a more
> > flexible plataform - the
> > good old integration nightmare.
> >
> > My "learning plan" is to spend 2 to 3 months
> > resolving JIRA issues. Then,
> > I'll try to solve real problems in my own company
> > and see how OFBiz handles
> > them. If every thing goes as planned, I hope some
> > departments would be
> > running on OFBiz applications by September 2006.
> >
> > So, given that scenario, what issue would you guys
> > recommend for me to
> > start?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > C. J.

RE: Dev - Newbie's hello

Jean-Sebastien Hederer-2
It would be great!

Is there a translation tool for OFBiz?

Re: Dev - Newbie's hello

basil arkasosy

Hi Cloves,

If I didn't missunderstand what you mean, there exists an option to hide a field! And you just need to use it!
As far as I remmember, you need to include the hidden tag for that filed in your form...

Example :

Best Wishes

Basil Arkasosy

Computer Engineering Department
College of Computer Science and Engineering
King Fahd University of Petroleums and Mineral(K.F.U.P.M)

Contact Info.
+966503406162
http://student.kfupm.edu.sa/S208603/

From: "Cloves J. G. de Almeida" <[hidden email]>
To: OFBiz Project Development Discussion <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [OFBiz] Dev - Newbie's hello
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:07:54 -0200

>First of all, I must understand what OFBiz currently offers. Then I can
>compare it to my needs.
>
>So, I guess it would help me and others if I write user documentation
>based on my exploration, right?
>
>I was browsing the product application (catalog) and found it more
>complex than most companies would need. Additionally, companies use
>different terms for the same thing (what you call " model #", some would
>call "reference ", others would call "product code"). A very useful
>feature would be "hiding" fields (not delete, fill them with good
>defaults) and define "alias" for them.
>
>So, if such feature is not there already, I could help implement. If
>there is, I could write a tutorial on that.
>
>Does it sound reasonable?
>
>C. J.
>
>Em Seg, 2005-11-28 às 18:43 -0800, Chris Howe escreveu:
> > That probably depends on what you think you're going
> > to be spending the most time customizing to fit your
> > needs. If it's simply change the appearence so it's
> > more intuitive to your users, I would probably suggest
> > working on the issues that pertain to updating the css
> > tags in the freemarker files. If it's mostly going to
> > be creating customized screens that pull the type of
> > data that your company will be needing, I'd suggest
> > updating applications that use forms rendered in
> > freemarker code to use the form widget. Share how
> > your company will most likely be using it and maybe we
> > can give a bit more guidance.
> >
> > --- "Cloves J. G. Almeida" <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hello all,
> &> >
> > > I decided to take on Si Chen's advice and learn
> > > OFBiz by doing. I'm
> > > proficient at Java, have read some tutorials on
> > > OFBiz and (I guess) I
> > > undestands most ofbiz concepts.
> > >
> > > I decided that OFBiz is the most suited solution to
> > > my small business (yes,
> > > I'm a businessman!). We have some ad hoc developed
> > > COBOL legacy apps and
> > > we'd like to integrate all those data in a more
> > > flexible plataform - the
> > > good old integration nightmare.
> > >
> > > My "learning plan" is to spend 2 to 3 months
> > > resolving JIRA issues. Then,
> > > I'll try to solve real problems in my own company
> > > and see how OFBiz handles
> > > them. If every thing goes as planned, I hope some
> > > departments would be
> > > running on OFBiz applications by September 2006.
> > >
> > > So, given that scenario, what issue would you guys
> > > recommend for me to
> > > start?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > C. J.

Re: Dev - Newbie's hello

Cloves Almeida
An will it fill with some default value or just null?

C. J.

Em Ter, 2005-11-29 às 14:02 +0000, basil arkasosy escreveu:

> [...]
>         > > > undestands most ofbiz concepts.
>         > > >
>         > > > I decided that OFBiz is the most suited solution to
>         > > > my small business (yes,
>         > > > I'm a businessman!). We have some ad hoc developed
>         > > > COBOL legacy apps and
>         > > > we'd like to integrate all those data in a more
>         > > > flexible plataform - the
>         > > > good old integration nightmare.
>         > > >
>         > > > My "learning plan" is to spend 2 to 3 months
>         > > > resolving JIRA issues. Then,
>         > > > I'll try to solve real problems in my own company
>         > > > and see how OFBiz handles
>         > > > them. If every thing goes as planned, I hope some
>         > > > departments would be
>         > > > running on OFBiz applications by September 2006.
>         > > >
>         > > > So, given that scenario, what issue would you guys

Dev - Shark integration

Oleg Kozyrev Jr.
Hello all!

As far as I know Shark integration into OFBiz is not finished at the moment.
I was wondering what is the current state of it and what are the plans of
the integration if there's any.

Thanks.

Oleg.

From: "Cloves J. G. de Almeida" <[hidden email]>
To: OFBiz Project Development Discussion <[hidden email]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 14:01:58 -0200

>An will it fill with some default value or just null?
>
>C. J.
>
>Em Ter, 2005-11-29 às 14:02 +0000, basil arkasosy escreveu:
> > Hi Cloves,
> >
> > If I didn't missunderstand what you mean, there exists an option to
> > hide a field! And you just need to use it!
> > As far as I remmember, you need to include the hidden tag for that
> > filed in your form...
> >
> > Example :

> > Best Wishes
> >

> > Basil Arkasosy
> >
> > Computer Engineering Department
> > College of Computer Science and Engineering
> > King Fahd University of Petroleums and Mineral(K.F.U.P.M)
> >
> > Contact Info.
> > +966503406162
> > http://student.kfupm.edu.sa/S208603/

> > From: "Cloves J. G. de Almeida" <[hidden email]>
> > To: OFBiz Project Development Discussion <[hidden email]>
> > Subject: Re: [OFBiz] Dev - Newbie's hello
> > Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:07:54 -0200
> > [192.169.1.200](200-101-120-046.gnace7006.e.brasiltelecom.net.br[200.101.120.46]) by fgvspmail.fgvsp.br with SMTP (MicrosoftExchange Internet Mail Service Version 5.5.2653.13)id XT7M7GJ7; Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:02:45 -0300
> > >First of all, I must understand what OFBiz currently offers.
> > Then I can
> > >compare it to my needs.
> > >
> > >So, I guess it would help me and others if I write user
> > documentation
> > >based on my exploration, right?
> > >
> > >I was browsing the product application (catalog) and found it
> > more
> > >complex than most companies would need. Additionally,
> > companies use
> > >different terms for the same thing (what you call " model #",
> > some would
> > >call "reference ", others would call "product code"). A very
> > useful
> > >feature would be "hiding" fields (not delete, fill them with
> > good
> > >defaults) and define "alias" for them.
> > >
> > >So, if such feature is not there already, I could help
> > implement. If
> > >there is, I could write a tutorial on that.
> > >
> > >Does it sound reasonable?
> > >
> > >C. J.

Re: Dev - Newbie's hello

As far as customization and guidelines for general functionality
goes, look at the email I sent out on the topic a couple of days ago
(on Sunday).

For the documentation side you might get further by reading and
commenting on what exists rather than just writing your
interpretations as you move along. Undersun Consulting has a full-
time technical writer creating and maintaining such documentation,
and it is available best through the on-line doc site from Undersun,
which you can get access to for $4.95 for the first month, and if you
contribute to it we'll give you free access based on your contributions.

-David

On Nov 29, 2005, at 5:07 AM, Cloves J. G. de Almeida wrote:

> First of all, I must understand what OFBiz currently offers. Then I
> can
> compare it to my needs.
>
> So, I guess it would help me and others if I write user documentation
> based on my exploration, right?
>
> I was browsing the product application (catalog) and found it more
> complex than most companies would need. Additionally, companies use
> different terms for the same thing (what you call " model #", some
> would
> call "reference ", others would call "product code"). A very useful
> feature would be "hiding" fields (not delete, fill them with good
> defaults) and define "alias" for them.
>
> So, if such feature is not there already, I could help implement. If
> there is, I could write a tutorial on that.
>
> Does it sound reasonable?
>
> C. J.
>
> Em Seg, 2005-11-28 às 18:43 -0800, Chris Howe escreveu:
>> That probably depends on what you think you're going
>> to be spending the most time customizing to fit your
>> needs.  If it's simply change the appearence so it's
>> more intuitive to your users, I would probably suggest
>> working on the issues that pertain to updating the css
>> tags in the freemarker files.  If it's mostly going to
>> be creating customized screens that pull the type of
>> data that your company will be needing, I'd suggest
>> updating applications that use forms rendered in
>> freemarker code to use the form widget.  Share how
>> your company will most likely be using it and maybe we
>> can give a bit more guidance.
>>
>> --- "Cloves J. G. Almeida" <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I decided to take on Si Chen's advice and learn
>>> OFBiz by doing. I'm
>>> proficient at Java, have read some tutorials on
>>> OFBiz and (I guess) I
>>> undestands most ofbiz concepts.
>>>
>>> I decided that OFBiz is the most suited solution to
>>> my small business (yes,
>>> I'm a businessman!). We have some ad hoc developed
>>> COBOL legacy apps and
>>> we'd like to integrate all those data in a more
>>> flexible plataform - the
>>> good old integration nightmare.
>>>
>>> My "learning plan" is to spend 2 to 3 months
>>> resolving JIRA issues. Then,
>>> I'll try to solve real problems in my own company
>>> and see how OFBiz handles
>>> them. If every thing goes as planned, I hope some
>>> departments would be
>>> running on OFBiz applications by September 2006.
>>>
>>> So, given that scenario, what issue would you guys
>>> recommend for me to
>>> start?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> C. J.

Re: Dev - Newbie's hello

Cloves Almeida
if you want to define a default value
or
if you do not.

What about that?

Anyway, I guess me changing this is still too advanced. I'll build for
some user documentation first.

C. J.

Em Ter, 2005-11-29 às 17:41 +0000, basil arkasosy escreveu:

> [...]
>         > > > > >
>         > > > > > I decided that OFBiz is the most suited solution to
>         > > > > > my small business (yes,
>         > > > > > I'm a businessman!). We have some ad hoc developed
>         > > > > > COBOL legacy apps and
>         > > > > > we'd like to integrate all those data in a more
>         > > > > > flexible plataform - the
>         > > > > > good old integration nightmare.
>         > > > > >
>         > > > > > My "learning plan" is to spend 2 to 3 months
>         > > > > > resolving JIRA issues. Then,
>         > > > > > I'll try to solve real problems in my own company
>         > > > > > and see how OFBiz handles
>         > > > > > them. If every thing goes as planned, I hope some
>         > > > > > departments would be
>         > > > > > running on OFBiz applications by September 2006.
>         > > > > >
>         > > > > > So, given that scenario, what issue would you guys

Very nice David.

I guess I'll be studying for a while.

From: "Cloves J. G. de Almeida" <[hidden email]>
To: OFBiz Project Development Discussion <[hidden email]>