[OFBiz] Users - Multiple Companies?

Rohit Rai
Can manage multiple companies in Ofbiz?

Or

Can I create multiple companies in a single Ofbiz installation?

Re: [OFBiz] Users - Multiple Companies?

Si Chen-2
Yes, you can set up multiple companies with their own GLs.

But you can not (yet) set up multiple companies with their own products
in a mall-like format (like yahoo stores)

Rohit Rai wrote:

> Can manage multiple companies in Ofbiz?
>
> Or
>
> Can I create multiple companies in a single Ofbiz installation?

Re: [OFBiz] Users - Multiple Companies?

Rohit Rai
I want to host multiple company installations in a single instance.
The company should get everything of its own and nothing of the other. GL/CMS/Prod/Facilities . . .

Si & others, have you installed Ofbiz in a server. outside the self contained environment like a web application?

Re: [OFBiz] Users - Multiple Companies?

Andrew Sykes
Rohit,

You can run multiple instances of everything, i.e. completely separate
installations on the same server by simply creating additional
delegators for each. Then associate the webapp with the relavant
delegator (in web.xml)

We have an install with 8 delegators running in the one OfBiz.

--
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
Sykes Development Ltd

Re: [OFBiz] Users - Multiple Companies?

Si Chen-2
Andrew - That's impressive.  I've always thought that could be done but
never tried it.

Did you have to create different dispatchers as well?  What about the
catalog and order manager?  Did you have to create multiple instances of
those and link them each to their own delegator and dispatcher?

Rohit - No, I've never installed OFBiz inside another app server.

Andrew Sykes wrote:

>Rohit,
>
>You can run multiple instances of everything, i.e. completely separate
>installations on the same server by simply creating additional
>delegators for each. Then associate the webapp with the relavant
>delegator (in web.xml)
>
>We have an install with 8 delegators running in the one OfBiz.

Re: [OFBiz] Users - Multiple Companies?

Andrew Sykes
Si, Rohit,

Yes I did have to copy the whole webtools webapp for each company which
was really annoying, I sat for a couple of days scratching my head
trying to think of a sensible way to avoid this, but in the end, time
caught up with me and I simply had to admit defeat and create multiple
copies.

basically, I managed just to mount the applications according to the
company i.e. /company1/webtools /company2/webtools etc...

There's been no issues at all with this in production and it's been up
for over a year now.
--
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
Sykes Development Ltd

RE: [OFBiz] Users - Multiple Companies?

Matt Penner
Andrew, this IS pretty impressive.

How do you handle conflicting services for customized applications?  I
understand that each Entity Delegator runs its own Service Delegator,
however, there's still only one Service Engine loading the services, right?
What happens when Company 4 has a modified CreateParty service?  Or does
your app simply call a different service all together?

Matt

Re: [OFBiz] Users - Multiple Companies?

Rohit Rai
Thanks Andrew,

As Si, said.
 "Did you have to create different dispatchers as well?  What about the
catalog and order manager?  Did you have to create multiple instances of
those and link them each to their own delegator and dispatcher?"

And do you put the data of different companies in different table.

&

Do you use the default self contained Ofbiz?

Thanks Andrew. Will  try that out and let you people know.

Regards,
Rohit

Re: [OFBiz] Users - Multiple Companies?

Rohit Rai
Thanks Andrew

RE: [OFBiz] Users - Multiple Companies?

Andrew Sykes
Matt, Everyone,

Perhaps not as impressive as it sounds, the hosted applications are
almost entirely identical, so they use the same service engine, they are
basically just branded differently for each company.

However, that being said, I could easily be running into some of the
points you raised quite soon, so look out for either interesting
observations, or panicked pleas for help!!! - Hopefully the former, but
only time will tell! :-)

I guess my initial response if I was making the sort of modification you
describe would be simply to add another service, but clearly this isn't
particularly scalable.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has already tackled this problem...

Kind Regards
--
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
Sykes Development Ltd

Re: [OFBiz] Users - Multiple Companies?

Andrew Sykes
Rohit,

Sorry, I missed the other part of your question, I believe I've answered
this in my mail to Matt, but just for clarity.

I didn't need different dispatchers due to the generic nature of the
applications.

I didn't use the 'catalog' or 'order' applications in this instance,
although it is possible to create multiple copies of both of these e.g.
In /ofbiz/applications/order/webapp copy ordermgr to ordermgr2 then
change the entityDelegator value in web.xml

You will have to mount the ordermgr2 in /ofbiz/applications/order/ofbiz-
component.xml (just copy the block for ordermgr and modify as necessary)

Now assuming you have correctly defined a second delegator in
entityengine.xml you should be able to go to the mount point you defined
in ofbiz-component.xml and see ordermgr2.

In the example above the two applications are not only connected to
different Database/Schemas, they can even connect to two entirely
different database servers.

Finally, you asked if we used the default self contained OfBiz, the
answer is yes, and the example above will work with a self contained
OfBiz.

I hope this helps you :-)

Let me know how you get on.
--