[OFBiz] Users - multiple tax authorities in same Geo

[OFBiz] Users - multiple tax authorities in same Geo

cjhowe
If someone does have what you're trying to avoid writing code for, couldn't they just
use a custom Geo group that would credit a taxing pool and let them write the code to split it from there?
Assuming that it is an uncommon occurance

================Si Wrote==============

Each Geo (State) would have its own tax authority and gl account. So
that should work fine if there are multiple states.

Chris Howe wrote:

>Wouldn't you have this issue if you operated in
>multiple states? Or are you saying divying up only
>the sales tax for a single transaction?
>

>===================
>Hi. Working on some sales tax liability/expense
>stuff. Just wanted to
>check:
>
>Does anybody have business requirements where sales or
>use or VAT taxes
>are payable to multiple authoriti! es in the same Geo?
>(ie, Do you have
>special products that have separate sales and use tax
>authorities, or do
>you have to pay different levels of local
>governments?)
>
>If so, please say so NOW. Otherwise, we'll set it so
>that each Geo can
>only have one tax authority.
>
>(Note: in California, state, county, and city
>governments all have
>different sales taxes, but the taxes are paid to one
>state tax
>authority, the Franchise Tax Board. So, in this case,
>there is only one
>payable authority per Geo of CA. I'm asking about
>cases where you
>actually have to send separate checks to different agencies.)

Re: [OFBiz] Users - multiple tax authorities in same Geo

Si Chen-2
Yes.  That'd be a way to hack it. :-)

I'm just hoping if it were a common need, that we not make people have
to resort to such measures.  But it doesn't seem like anybody has spoken
up.  Which is a good thing, I guess--we all need more efficient government.

Si

Chris Howe wrote:

>If someone does have what you're trying to avoid writing code for, couldn't they just
>use a custom Geo group that would credit a taxing pool and let them write the code to split it from there?
>Assuming that it is an uncommon occurance
>
>================Si Wrote==============
>
>Each Geo (State) would have its own tax authority and gl account.  So
>that should work fine if there are multiple states.
>
>Chris Howe wrote:
>
>>/Wouldn't you have this issue if you operated in
>/>/multiple states?  Or are you saying divying up only
>/>/the sales tax for a single transaction?
>/>/
>/>/
>/>/===================
>/>/Hi.  Working on some sales tax liability/expense
>/>/stuff.  Just wanted to
>/>/check:
>/>/
>/>/Does anybody have business requirements where sales or
>/>/use or VAT taxes
>/>/are payable to multiple authoriti!
>es in the
> same Geo?
>/>/(ie, Do you have
>/>/special products that have separate sales and use tax
>/>/authorities, or do
>/>/you have to pay different levels of local
>/>/governments?)
>/>/
>/>/If so, please say so NOW.  Otherwise, we'll set it so
>/>/that each Geo can
>/>/only have one tax authority.
>/>/
>/>/(Note: in California, state, county, and city
>/>/governments all have
>/>/different sales taxes, but the taxes are paid to one
>/>/state tax
>/>/authority, the Franchise Tax Board.  So, in this case,
>/>/there is only one
>/>/payable authority per Geo of CA.  I'm asking about
>/>/cases where you
>/>/actually have to send separate checks to different agencies.)
>/>/
>/>/_______________________________________________
>/>/Users mailing list
>/>Users at lists.ofbiz.org <http://lists.ofbiz.org/mailman/listinfo/users>
>/>/
>/>/
>/>

Re: [OFBiz] Users - multiple tax authorities in same Geo

In a way it does make sense to model a taxation entity as a
combination of the geographic boundary, and the tax authority. BTW, I
was using the term "jurisdiction" before, but I like tax authority a
lot better.

On the SimpleSalesTaxLookup perhaps it is best to have both a
taxAuthorityGeoId and a taxAuthorityPartyId.

For the posting of sales tax for a sales order, or from a sales
invoice rather, I'm starting to like Si's idea of adding an entity
that would have a sort of TaxAuthorityGlAccount entity with a
taxAuthorityGeoId, taxAuthorityPartyId, organizationPartyId, and
glAccountId.

Wow, a bit complicated.... Of course, with any luck, we'll get some
larger companies to drool over it a bit...

-David