[OFBiz] Users - multiple tax authorities in same Geo

[OFBiz] Users - multiple tax authorities in same Geo

cjhowe
Additionally, in what appears to be a rare case, if there are different taxing authorities collecting wouldn't there also be multiple taxes being applied to the product?  ie.
Widget = $100
Sales tax = 7%
Sin tax = 3%
Not a sprocket tax = 0.5%

Solving this isn't a an accounting issue as each would be applied to their appropriate account.  However, this may be an issue (i would think a small one if it exists at all) for the calculation of tax, and additionally the display of the tax on an invoice, etc.
--- Si Chen wrote:

Yes. That'd be a way to hack it. :-)

I'm just hoping if it were a common need, that we
not make people have
to resort to such measures. But it doesn't seem
like anybody has spoken
up. Which is a good thing, I guess--we all need
more efficient government.

Si

Chris Howe wrote:

>If someone does have what you're trying to avoid
writing code for, couldn't they just
>use a custom Geo group that would credit a taxing
pool and let them write the code to split it from
there?
>Assuming that it is an uncommon occurance
>
>================Si Wrote==============
>
>Each Geo (State) would have its own tax authority
and gl account. So
>that should work fine if there are multiple states.
>
>Chris Howe wrote:
>
>>/Wouldn't you have this issue if you operated in
>/>/multiple states? Or are you saying divying up
only
>/>/the sales tax for a single transaction?
>/>/
>/>/
>/>/===================
>/>/Hi. Working on some sales tax liability/expense
>/>/stuff. Just wanted to
>/>/check:
>/>/
>/>/Does anybody have business requirements where
sales or
>/>/use or VAT taxes
>/>/are payable to multiple authoriti!
>es in the
> same Geo?
>/>/(ie, Do you have
>/>/special products that have separate sales and
use tax
>/>/authorities, or do
>/>/you have to pay different levels of local
>/>/governments?)
>/>/
>/>/If so, please say so NOW. Otherwise, we'll set
it so
>/>/that each Geo can
>/>/only have one tax authority.
>/>/
>/>! ;/(Note: in California, state, county, and city
>/>/governments all have
>/>/different sales taxes, but the taxes are paid to
one
>/>/state tax
>/>/authority, the Franchise Tax Board. So, in this
case,
>/>/there is only one
>/>/payable authority per Geo of CA. I'm asking
about
>/>/cases where you
>/>/actually have to send separate checks to
different agencies.)
>/>/
>/>/_______________________________________________
>/>/Users mailing list
>/>Users at lists.ofbiz.org

>/>/
>/>/
>/>

Re: [OFBiz] Users - multiple tax authorities in same Geo

Si Chen-2
Does this happen *anywhere* in real life?

Chris Howe wrote:

> [...]
>     >/>/payable authority per Geo of CA. I'm asking
>     about
>     >/>/cases where you
>     >/>/actually have to send separate checks to
>     different agencies.)
>     >/>/
>     >/>/_______________________________________________
>     >/>/Users mailing list
>     >/>Users at lists.ofbiz.org

>     >/>/
>     >/>/
>     >/>
>     >
>     >------------------------------------------------------------------------
>     >
>     >
>     >_______________________________________________
>     >Users mailing list
>     >Users at lists.ofbiz.org
>     >

Re: [OFBiz] Users - multiple tax authorities in same Geo

Matthew E. Porter
In Missouri, we have a different sales tax rate for food and tobacco.

Cheers,
   Matthew

---
Matthew E. Porter
Contegix LLC
[hidden email]
"Beyond Managed Hosting For Your Enterprise"

On Jul 14, 2005, at 5:35 PM, Si Chen wrote:

> [...]
>>     >/>/different sales taxes, but the taxes are paid to
>>     one
>>     >/>/state tax
>>     >/>/authority, the Franchise Tax Board. So, in this
>>     case,
>>     >/>/there is only one
>>     >/>/payable authority per Geo of CA. I'm asking
>>     about
>>     >/>/cases where you
>>     >/>/actually have to send separate checks to
>>     different agencies.)
>>     >/>/
>>     >/>/_______________________________________________
>>     >/>/Users mailing list
>>     >/>Users at lists.ofbiz.org

>>     >/>/
>>     >/>/
>>     >/>
>>     >

>>     >

Re: [OFBiz] Users - multiple tax authorities in same Geo

Also, for 2 days a year, we have a sales tax free holiday on certain
items.

Cheers,
   Matthew

---
> [...]

>>     >/>/different sales taxes, but the taxes are paid to
>>     one
>>     >/>/state tax
>>     >/>/authority, the Franchise Tax Board. So, in this
>>     case,
>>     >/>/there is only one
>>     >/>/payable authority per Geo of CA. I'm asking
>>     about
>>     >/>/cases where you
>>     >/>/actually have to send separate checks to
>>     different agencies.)
>>     >/>/
>>     >/>/_______________________________________________
>>     >/>/Users mailing list
>>     >/>Users at lists.ofbiz.org

>>     >/>/
>>     >/>/
>>     >/>
>>     >

>>     >

Re: [OFBiz] Users - multiple tax authorities in same Geo

Your phone bill?  AND I believe those are paid to different taxing authorities

Chris Howe wrote:

> Additionally, in what appears to be a rare case,
if there are
> different taxing authorities collecting wouldn't
there also be
> multiple taxes being applied to the product? ie.
> Widget = $100
> Sales tax = 7%
> Sin tax = 3%
> Not a sprocket tax = 0.5%
>
> Solving this isn't a an accounting issue as each
would be applied to
> their appropriate account. However, this may be
an issue (i would
> think a small one if it exists at all) for the
calculation of tax, and
> additionally the display of the tax on an invoice,
etc.
> *--- Si Chen wrote: *
>

> Yes. That'd be a way to hack it. :-)
>
> I'm just hoping if it were a ! common need, that
we
> not make people have
> to resort to such measures. But it doesn't
seem
> like anybody has spoken
> up. Which is a good thing, I guess--we all
need
> more efficient government.
>
> Si
>
> Chris Howe wrote:
>
> >If someone does have what you're trying to
avoid
> writing code for, couldn't they just
> >use a custom Geo group that would credit a
taxing
> pool and let them write the code to split it
from
> there?
> >Assuming that it is an uncommon occurance
> >
> >================Si Wrote==============
> >
> >Each Geo (State) would have its own tax
authority
> and gl account. So
> >that should work fine if there are multiple
states.

> >Chris Howe wrot! e:
> >
> >>/Wouldn't you have this issue if you
operated in
> >/>/multiple states? Or are you saying divying
up
> only
> >/>/the sales tax for a single transaction?
> >/>/
> >/>/
> >/>/===================
> >/>/Hi. Working on some sales tax
liability/expense
> >/>/stuff. Just wanted to
> >/>/check:
> >/>/
> >/>/Does anybody have business requirements
where
> sales or
> >/>/use or VAT taxes
> >/>/are payable to multiple authoriti!
> >es in the
> > same Geo?
> >/>/(ie, Do you have
> >/>/special products that have separate sales
and
> use tax
> >/>/authorities, or do
> >/>/you have to pay different levels of local
> >/>/governments?)
> >/>/
> >/>/If so, please say so NOW. Otherwise, we'll
set
> it so
> >/>/that each Geo can
> >/>/only have one tax authority.
> >/>/
> >/>! ;/(Note: in California, state, county,
and city
> >/>/governments all have
> >/>/different sales taxes, but the taxes are
paid to
> one
> >/>/state tax
> >/>/authority, the Franchise Tax Board. So, in
this
> case,
> >/>/there is only one
> >/>/payable authority per Geo of CA. I'm
asking
> about
> >/>/cases where you
> >/>/actually have to send separate checks to
> different agencies.)
> >/>/
>
>/>/_______________________________________________
! > >/>/Users mailing list
> >/>Users at lists.ofbiz.org

> >/>/
> >/>/
> >/>

Re: [OFBiz] Users - multiple tax authorities in same Geo

Those 2 issues, ie taxes of different types of items and tax
holidays, are considered the same Geo and tax authority Party, but
the SimpleSalesTaxLookup table has effective dates (simplistic and
somewhat difficult to maintain for tax holidays, but works), and
there is also a tax category ID on the tax lookup entity and on the
Product entity which if present must match.

-David

On Jul 14, 2005, at 4:45 PM, Matthew E. Porter wrote:

> [...]
>>>     >/>/different sales taxes, but the taxes are paid to
>>>     one
>>>     >/>/state tax
>>>     >/>/authority, the Franchise Tax Board. So, in this
>>>     case,
>>>     >/>/there is only one
>>>     >/>/payable authority per Geo of CA. I'm asking
>>>     about
>>>     >/>/cases where you
>>>     >/>/actually have to send separate checks to
>>>     different agencies.)
>>>     >/>/
>>>     >/>/_______________________________________________
>>>     >/>/Users mailing list
>>>     >/>Users at lists.ofbiz.org

>>>     >/>/
>>>     >/>/
>>>     >/>
>>>     >

>>>     >

Re: [OFBiz] Users - multiple tax authorities in same Geo

You're right...

I think we should then have a scheme that can support multiple tax
authorities with their own rates and gl accounts within each geo.

Thanks for pointing it out, Chris.