Ofbiz for Real Estate Management

Jeroen van der Wal
We've developed a quite sophisticated solution for managing (commercial)
properties on top of Ofbiz. It will be available in Q1 2010 but if anybody
is interested I'm happy to give preview. Some features:

Asset Management
- Show your assets in a tree view with unlimited levels (complex, building,
floor, unit, etc.)
- Define custom attributes
Lease Management
- Base rent
- Turnover rent
- Rent indexation
- Discounts
Service Charges
- Budget on property level and divide to individual tenants
- Reconciliation of purchase invoices
Metrics
- Store any type of data on any level of an agreement that you want to be
used in lease calculation. Example: the monthly turnover of the tentants.
Invoicing
- Choose any invoice frequency and offset (in advance vs. afterwards)
- Automatic reconciliation when lease details change
- Calculates the total value of a lease and compares that to already
invoiced amounts

Best,

Jeroen van der Wal
Stromboli b.v.
+31 655 874050

Re: Ofbiz for Real Estate Management

Divesh Dutta
This looks great Jeron.  Looking forward to have this sophisticated
solution in OFBiz soon.

--
Divesh Dutta.

Jeroen van der Wal wrote:

> We've developed a quite sophisticated solution for managing (commercial)
> properties on top of Ofbiz. It will be available in Q1 2010 but if anybody
> is interested I'm happy to give preview. Some features:
>
> Asset Management
> - Show your assets in a tree view with unlimited levels (complex, building,
> floor, unit, etc.)
> - Define custom attributes
> Lease Management
> - Base rent
> - Turnover rent
> - Rent indexation
> - Discounts
> Service Charges
> - Budget on property level and divide to individual tenants
> - Reconciliation of purchase invoices
> Metrics
> - Store any type of data on any level of an agreement that you want to be
> used in lease calculation. Example: the monthly turnover of the tentants.
> Invoicing
> - Choose any invoice frequency and offset (in advance vs. afterwards)
> - Automatic reconciliation when lease details change
> - Calculates the total value of a lease and compares that to already
> invoiced amounts
>
> Best,
>
> Jeroen van der Wal
> Stromboli b.v.
> +31 655 874050

Re: Ofbiz for Real Estate Management

gcameo
Hi that will be nice. Thought of that sometime ago. How do I get such a preview?

> properties on top of Ofbiz. It will be available in Q1 2010
> but if anybody
> is interested I'm happy to give preview. Some features:
>
> Asset Management
> - Show your assets in a tree view with unlimited levels
> (complex, building,
> floor, unit, etc.)
> - Define custom attributes
> Lease Management
> - Base rent
> - Turnover rent
> - Rent indexation
> - Discounts
> Service Charges
> - Budget on property level and divide to individual
> tenants
> - Reconciliation of purchase invoices
> Metrics
> - Store any type of data on any level of an agreement that
> you want to be
> used in lease calculation. Example: the monthly turnover of
> the tentants.
> Invoicing
> - Choose any invoice frequency and offset (in advance vs.
> afterwards)
> - Automatic reconciliation when lease details change
> - Calculates the total value of a lease and compares that
> to already
> invoiced amounts
>
> Best,
>
> Jeroen van der Wal
> Stromboli b.v.
> +31 655 874050

Re: Ofbiz for Real Estate Management

Heidi Dehaes - Olagos
I am interested in a preview also.

Heidi
Olagos bvba

2009/11/30 farouk alhassan <[hidden email]>

> Hi that will be nice. Thought of that sometime ago. How do I get such a
> preview?

Sharan-F
Hi Jeroen

I'd be interested in taking a look at the preview version too.

Thanks
Sharan

Info Olagos wrote

2009/11/30 farouk alhassan <osbert252003@yahoo.com>

> Hi that will be nice. Thought of that sometime ago. How do I get such a
> preview?

aswath narayana
I am interested in the preview also.

-Aswath

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 9:12 PM, Info Olagos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am interested in a preview also.
>
> Heidi
> Olagos bvba
>
> 2009/11/30 farouk alhassan <[hidden email]>
>
> > Hi that will be nice. Thought of that sometime ago. How do I get such a
> > preview?

Anil Patel-3
Jeroen,
Do you plan to contribute your enhancements back to project?

Thanks and Regards
Anil Patel
HotWax Media Inc
http://www.hotwaxmedia.com/apache-ofbiz-blog/ofbiz-tutorial-custom-components-in-ofbiz/

On Nov 29, 2009, at 7:59 PM, Jeroen van der Wal wrote:

> We've developed a quite sophisticated solution for managing (commercial)
> properties on top of Ofbiz. It will be available in Q1 2010 but if anybody
> is interested I'm happy to give preview. Some features:
>
> Asset Management
> - Show your assets in a tree view with unlimited levels (complex, building,
> floor, unit, etc.)
> - Define custom attributes
> Lease Management
> - Base rent
> - Turnover rent
> - Rent indexation
> - Discounts
> Service Charges
> - Budget on property level and divide to individual tenants
> - Reconciliation of purchase invoices
> Metrics
> - Store any type of data on any level of an agreement that you want to be
> used in lease calculation. Example: the monthly turnover of the tentants.
> Invoicing
> - Choose any invoice frequency and offset (in advance vs. afterwards)
> - Automatic reconciliation when lease details change
> - Calculates the total value of a lease and compares that to already
> invoiced amounts
>
> Best,
>
> Jeroen van der Wal
> Stromboli b.v.
> +31 655 874050

Re: Ofbiz for Real Estate Management

Anousak Souphavanh
Jeroen,

I do interested in previewing your solution.

Regards,
Anousak

On 11 30, 2009 8:00 AM, "Jeroen van der Wal" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

+31 655 874050

Re: Ofbiz for Real Estate Management

Jeroen van der Wal-2
To answer your question: yes, we use Ofbiz trunk as the foundation of the
project so everything fix or enhancement that we do in Ofbiz will be
committed back by Bilgin, our ASF committor on the project.

The solution is tailored to Real Estate Management and we prefer to manage
that seperately. I don't think Ofbiz benefits by adding industry specifc
features; keeping the existing codebase stable and testable already requires
a lot of effort from the community. I personally would like a clearer
separtion between the Framework, Core modules and Add-ons but that is a
different discussion.

We are also thinking of using a different licence to make sure that derative
works are available on the same licence. We're currently looking at Open
Software Licence 3.0. Perhaps other Ofbiz partners can share their
experiences on using a different OS licence?

Jeroen van der Wal
+31 655 874050
[hidden email]

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 3:33 AM, Anil Patel <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Jeroen,
> Do you plan to contribute your enhancements back to project?
>
> Thanks and Regards
> Anil Patel
> HotWax Media Inc
>
> http://www.hotwaxmedia.com/apache-ofbiz-blog/ofbiz-tutorial-custom-components-in-ofbiz/
>
> On Nov 29, 2009, at 7:59 PM, Jeroen van der Wal wrote:
>
> > We've developed a quite sophisticated solution for managing (commercial)
> > properties on top of Ofbiz. It will be available in Q1 2010 but if
> anybody
> > is interested I'm happy to give preview. Some features:
> >
> > Asset Management
> > - Show your assets in a tree view with unlimited levels (complex,
> building,
> > floor, unit, etc.)
> > - Define custom attributes
> > Lease Management
> > - Base rent
> > - Turnover rent
> > - Rent indexation
> > - Discounts
> > Service Charges
> > - Budget on property level and divide to individual tenants
> > - Reconciliation of purchase invoices
> > Metrics
> > - Store any type of data on any level of an agreement that you want to be
> > used in lease calculation. Example: the monthly turnover of the tentants.
> > Invoicing
> > - Choose any invoice frequency and offset (in advance vs. afterwards)
> > - Automatic reconciliation when lease details change
> > - Calculates the total value of a lease and compares that to already
> > invoiced amounts
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Jeroen van der Wal
> > Stromboli b.v.
> > +31 655 874050
> > [hidden email]

Re: Ofbiz for Real Estate Management

Heidi Dehaes - Olagos
Hello,

When will you give us the url for the preview?

Heidi
Olagos bvba

2009/12/3 Jeroen van der Wal <[hidden email]>

> [...]
> > > floor, unit, etc.)
> > > - Define custom attributes
> > > Lease Management
> > > - Base rent
> > > - Turnover rent
> > > - Rent indexation
> > > - Discounts
> > > Service Charges
> > > - Budget on property level and divide to individual tenants
> > > - Reconciliation of purchase invoices
> > > Metrics
> > > - Store any type of data on any level of an agreement that you want to
> be
> > > used in lease calculation. Example: the monthly turnover of the
> tentants.
> > > Invoicing
> > > - Choose any invoice frequency and offset (in advance vs. afterwards)
> > > - Automatic reconciliation when lease details change
> > > - Calculates the total value of a lease and compares that to already

Adrian Crum
Jeroen van der Wal wrote:
> I don't think Ofbiz benefits by adding industry specifc
> features; keeping the existing codebase stable and testable already requires
> a lot of effort from the community. I personally would like a clearer
> separtion between the Framework, Core modules and Add-ons but that is a
> different discussion.

The specialpurpose folder is intended to be used for industry-specific
or role-based applications. Apache OFBiz encourages that type of
development, and Apache OFBiz does, indeed, benefit from it.

-Adrian

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Adrian Crum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jeroen van der Wal wrote:
>
>> I don't think Ofbiz benefits by adding industry specifc
>> features; keeping the existing codebase stable and testable already
>> requires
>> a lot of effort from the community. I personally would like a clearer
>> separtion between the Framework, Core modules and Add-ons but that is a
>> different discussion.
>>

> The specialpurpose folder is intended to be used for industry-specific or
> role-based applications. Apache OFBiz encourages that type of development,
> and Apache OFBiz does, indeed, benefit from it.

So far no industry-specific solution made it to the special purpose folder
(perhaps maybe e-commerce), has no one buillt a solution on top of Ofbiz
before? And if everybody would contribute their specific solutions will
Ofbiz then not end up being all but nothing?

-Jeroen

Re: Ofbiz for Real Estate Management

From: "Adrian Crum" <[hidden email]>

> Jeroen van der Wal wrote:
>> I don't think Ofbiz benefits by adding industry specifc
>> features; keeping the existing codebase stable and testable already requires
>> a lot of effort from the community. I personally would like a clearer
>> separtion between the Framework, Core modules and Add-ons but that is a
>> different discussion.
>
> The specialpurpose folder is intended to be used for industry-specific
> or role-based applications. Apache OFBiz encourages that type of
> development, and Apache OFBiz does, indeed, benefit from it.
>
> -Adrian

Very true!

Jeroen van der Wal wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Adrian Crum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Jeroen van der Wal wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think Ofbiz benefits by adding industry specifc
>>> features; keeping the existing codebase stable and testable already
>>> requires
>>> a lot of effort from the community. I personally would like a clearer
>>> separtion between the Framework, Core modules and Add-ons but that is a
>>> different discussion.
>>>
>> The specialpurpose folder is intended to be used for industry-specific or
>> role-based applications. Apache OFBiz encourages that type of development,
>> and Apache OFBiz does, indeed, benefit from it.
>>

> So far no industry-specific solution made it to the special purpose folder
> (perhaps maybe e-commerce), has no one buillt a solution on top of Ofbiz
> before? And if everybody would contribute their specific solutions will
> Ofbiz then not end up being all but nothing?

Well, maybe you could help make real estate management one of the first
industry-specific solutions to be included with OFBiz.

If Apache OFBiz included several industry-specific applications, those
applications would demonstrate the abilities of OFBiz. What better way
to show off the platform than to have different applications built from it?

-Adrian

Re: Ofbiz for Real Estate Management

byersa
I don't think it is realistic to expect anyone to contribute a quality
add-on back to the project and maintain it. All of us that work (or
have worked) on the project do so because it contributes financially
to us in other ways.

If someone was to create a commercially viable add-on, then I think
the smart thing to do would be to contribute back a "community"
version that captures the essence of the customizations needed for
that niche, but reserves a lot of the value added that comes from
being experienced in that field for a commercial version. The
commercial version could also include support.

-Al

Re: Ofbiz for Real Estate Management

Adrian Crum
Al,

It appears you're arguing against the success of companies like Red Hat,
JBoss, and Novell - who all maintain open source software and offer it
for free.

If I developed a vertical application, I wouldn't hesitate to contribute
it back to the project. Why should I pay a staff of programmers to
maintain it when a community of volunteers is willing to do it for free?
I'd rather focus my resources on installation, training, and support.

-Adrian

From: "Jeroen van der Wal" <[hidden email]>

> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Adrian Crum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Jeroen van der Wal wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think Ofbiz benefits by adding industry specifc
>>> features; keeping the existing codebase stable and testable already
>>> requires
>>> a lot of effort from the community. I personally would like a clearer
>>> separtion between the Framework, Core modules and Add-ons but that is a
>>> different discussion.
>>>

>> The specialpurpose folder is intended to be used for industry-specific or
>> role-based applications. Apache OFBiz encourages that type of development,
>> and Apache OFBiz does, indeed, benefit from it.
>>

> So far no industry-specific solution made it to the special purpose folder
> (perhaps maybe e-commerce), has no one buillt a solution on top of Ofbiz
> before? And if everybody would contribute their specific solutions will
> Ofbiz then not end up being all but nothing?
>
> -Jeroen

The POS is also a kind of specific...

Re: Ofbiz for Real Estate Management

From: "Al Byers" <[hidden email]>

>I don't think it is realistic to expect anyone to contribute a quality
> add-on back to the project and maintain it. All of us that work (or
> have worked) on the project do so because it contributes financially
> to us in other ways.
>
> If someone was to create a commercially viable add-on, then I think
> the smart thing to do would be to contribute back a "community"
> version that captures the essence of the customizations needed for
> that niche, but reserves a lot of the value added that comes from
> being experienced in that field for a commercial version. The
> commercial version could also include support.
>
> -Al

That's also very true.

Re: Ofbiz for Real Estate Management

byersa
Adrian,

I think you have a valid point. But the companies that you named are
just support companies and that has a different financial model than
companies that profit from IP. You have to make a choice between
making money via the support mode or the IP mode. If you choose the IP
mode, then you do take on the task of maintaining software - but just
the part that is proprietary. I, personally, do not want to be in the
support mode; it is too much work.

-Al

Re: Ofbiz for Real Estate Management

Anil Patel-3
Jeroen,
AssetMaint application was developed to support maintenance of fleet or other kind of machines and is still used by more then two parties (Adrian's employer and my previous employer) in community for sure.
I also have started (not made lot of progress yet because of time constraint) to built asset maintenance application tuned for IT shop. So really Ofbiz does have lot of examples of verticals.

No pressure, its upto developer of software to decide if it should be given away and under what license. We love all the framework contributions coming from your company. Thanks for that.

On Dec 3, 2009, at 12:22 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:

> Jeroen van der Wal wrote:

>>> The specialpurpose folder is intended to be used for industry-specific or
>>> role-based applications. Apache OFBiz encourages that type of development,
>>> and Apache OFBiz does, indeed, benefit from it.
>>>
>> So far no industry-specific solution made it to the special purpose folder
>> (perhaps maybe e-commerce), has no one buillt a solution on top of Ofbiz
>> before? And if everybody would contribute their specific solutions will
>> Ofbiz then not end up being all but nothing?
>
> Well, maybe you could help make real estate management one of the first industry-specific solutions to be included with OFBiz.
>
> If Apache OFBiz included several industry-specific applications, those applications would demonstrate the abilities of OFBiz. What better way to show off the platform than to have different applications built from it?
>
> -Adrian

12