Promotions Question

Rick F.
Hi All,

In the Promotions screen we have a drop down called "User Entered"(Y or N).
Can someone explain the consequences of choosing either?

I've noticed that some promotions seem to apply automatically to the cart and others don't and require a code be entered by the user. If we select "N", should the promotion automatically apply without any
input from the user?

If anyone has any input or documentation that would explain the overall process - I'd love it.

Thanks
-Rick

Re: Promotions Question

Hi  Rick,

Inline

Le 08/06/2021 à 18:36, Rick Fleming a écrit :
> Hi All,
>
> In the Promotions screen we have a drop down called "User Entered"(Y or N).
> Can someone explain the consequences of choosing either?
>
> I've noticed that some promotions seem to apply automatically to the cart and others don't and require a code be entered by the user.

Right, you kinda answered to your own question above

> If we select "N", should the promotion automatically apply without any
> input from the user?

Yes that's it

> If anyone has any input or documentation that would explain the overall process - I'd love it.

I did not find any. I guess it's mostly self explanatory.

Most we have is at https://ci.apache.org/projects/ofbiz/site/trunk/ofbizdoc/html5/user-manual.html#_promotions

You may have a look at
https://ofbiz.markmail.org/search/?q=%22user+entered%22+promo#query:%22user%20entered%22%20promo+page:1+mid:iqpglt4ike27owby+state:results

HTH

> -Rick

Re: Promotions Question

Richard Fleming-2
 Thanks Jacques -- I guess I didn't ask that question very well :)
I was having trouble  mainly because there are three settings that need to bechanged to enable the automatic application of promotions.
First, set "User entered" to "N"
Second, set "require code" to "N".Third, when using the store setup to add a promo to a store, you need toset the "manual only" to "N".
The third step is not available to you when you add a store to a new promo - only when you add a promo to a store.
Thanks-Rick(upgrading from Opentaps to 17.12 - what a journey)

    On Thursday, June 10, 2021, 4:07:59 AM MDT, Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Hi  Rick,

Inline

Le 08/06/2021 à 18:36, Rick Fleming a écrit :
> Hi All,
>
> In the Promotions screen we have a drop down called "User Entered"(Y or N).
> Can someone explain the consequences of choosing either?
>
> I've noticed that some promotions seem to apply automatically to the cart and others don't and require a code be entered by the user.

Right, you kinda answered to your own question above

> If we select "N", should the promotion automatically apply without any
> input from the user?

Yes that's it

> If anyone has any input or documentation that would explain the overall process - I'd love it.

I did not find any. I guess it's mostly self explanatory.

Most we have is at https://ci.apache.org/projects/ofbiz/site/trunk/ofbizdoc/html5/user-manual.html#_promotions

You may have a look at
https://ofbiz.markmail.org/search/?q=%22user+entered%22+promo#query:%22user%20entered%22%20promo+page:1+mid:iqpglt4ike27owby+state:results

HTH

> -Rick

Re: Promotions Question

Hi Rick,

Mmm... again not subscribed, not too bad, thanks for your report. Could you please create a Jira for the issue you crossed?

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/OFBiz+Contributors+Best+Practices#OFBizContributorsBestPractices-HowtocreateaJiraissue

Tip: you can keep it simple, if smthg is missing we will add it...

TIA

Jacques

Le 10/06/2021 à 14:24, Richard Fleming a écrit :

>   Thanks Jacques -- I guess I didn't ask that question very well :)
> I was having trouble  mainly because there are three settings that need to bechanged to enable the automatic application of promotions.
> First, set "User entered" to "N"
> Second, set "require code" to "N".Third, when using the store setup to add a promo to a store, you need toset the "manual only" to "N".
> The third step is not available to you when you add a store to a new promo - only when you add a promo to a store.
> Thanks-Rick(upgrading from Opentaps to 17.12 - what a journey)
>

>      On Thursday, June 10, 2021, 4:07:59 AM MDT, Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>   Hi  Rick,
>
> Inline
>
> Le 08/06/2021 à 18:36, Rick Fleming a écrit :
>> Hi All,
>>
>> In the Promotions screen we have a drop down called "User Entered"(Y or N).
>> Can someone explain the consequences of choosing either?
>>
>> I've noticed that some promotions seem to apply automatically to the cart and others don't and require a code be entered by the user.
> Right, you kinda answered to your own question above
>

>> If we select "N", should the promotion automatically apply without any
>> input from the user?
> Yes that's it
>

>> If anyone has any input or documentation that would explain the overall process - I'd love it.
> I did not find any. I guess it's mostly self explanatory.
>
> Most we have is at https://ci.apache.org/projects/ofbiz/site/trunk/ofbizdoc/html5/user-manual.html#_promotions
>
> You may have a look at
> https://ofbiz.markmail.org/search/?q=%22user+entered%22+promo#query:%22user%20entered%22%20promo+page:1+mid:iqpglt4ike27owby+state:results
>
> HTH
>
> Jacques
>
>> Thanks
>> -Rick

Re: Promotions Question

Meozeen
Hello Rick,

From your question, I assume that you are working on a promotions feature within a software or application. The "User Entered" drop-down you mentioned probably refers to whether the promotion requires the user to enter a code during the checkout process.

If you select "Y" (yes) for "User Entered," it means that the promotion requires the user to enter a code during the checkout process for the discount to be applied. This is often used for promotions that are targeted to specific customers or groups.

If you select "N" (no) for "User Entered," it means that the promotion will be applied automatically to the user's cart without the need for a code. This is often used for more general promotions that are available to all customers.

The consequences of choosing either option depend on the specifics of your application and the promotions you are offering. If you select "N" for a promotion that requires a code, the discount may not be applied correctly, and customers may be confused. On the other hand, if you select "Y" for a promotion that does not require a code, customers may be frustrated if they are asked to enter a code that they do not have.

It's important to make sure that your promotions feature is well-documented and easy to use for both customers and staff members. You may want to consider adding tooltips or other explanatory text to help customers understand how to use the Hostess Duesseldorf promotions feature.

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to ask.